• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL AZ Power Rankings & Social Thread (Updated: 11/27/13)

tw1n

Smash Champion
I have another SC2 Beta key. If Dan doesn't already have one, I was planning on giving it to him, but if he doesn't want it/need it I'll randomly select anyone that PMs me asking for one. :D
Lol TAJ = coolest. Too bad I don't have SC2 beta... sigh.

tw1n

Smash Champion
Oscar is Oscar

not much more explanation needs to be added. He is and always will be the awesome oscar

Hope that helps =D

some-guy

Smash Apprentice
Max can only go to tournies on Sundays as of now. It makes him so sad that he has to speak in third person. :(

Max may be able to go to alot more during summer vacation though. He hopes so anyways.

some-guy

Smash Apprentice
I really need help with thinking up some names for some characters in the book I am going to start writing this weekend and was wondering if anyone wanted to help. :3
I made a blog about it on AiB, it isn't very good or anything but it gets some of what I want about the book out there.
http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=38371
I need names for the main enemy guy, Logan's dad, Logan's mom, and maybe new ones for Matt and Ben.
The book's title is probably going to just be Logan, but that's not very original and I'm probably going to change teh title. >.>

Also, tell me what you guys think about the characters and stuff if you want, I get the strangest feeling that I need much improvement on this. x_x

jetfour

Smash Journeyman
Generic American names are the worst. Characters are not remembered by their simplicity but by how different they are. I am not saying you should name your protagonist Bonifah but Logan? Ben? You could do better. Literary allusions or even references to timeless songs are easy enough. You can even combine two names you have in mind to do something very unique. Benesheaifahiquanaynay is more like it!

some-guy

Smash Apprentice
Generic American names are the worst. Characters are not remembered by their simplicity but by how different they are. I am not saying you should name your protagonist Bonifah but Logan? Ben? You could do better. Literary allusions or even references to timeless songs are easy enough. You can even combine two names you have in mind to do something very unique. Benesheaifahiquanaynay is more like it!
ya om not too creative with names... =3=;

tw1n

Smash Champion
Max can only go to tournies on Sundays as of now. It makes Max so sad that Max has to speak in third person. :(

Max may be able to go to alot more during summer vacation though. Max hopes so anyways.
Fixed for proper third person tone

I really need help with thinking up some names for some characters in the book I am going to start writing this weekend and was wondering if anyone wanted to help. :3
I made a blog about it on AiB, it isn't very good or anything but it gets some of what I want about the book out there.
http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=38371
I need names for the main enemy guy, Logan's dad, Logan's mom, and maybe new ones for Matt and Ben.
The book's title is probably going to just be Logan, but that's not very original and I'm probably going to change teh title. >.>

Also, tell me what you guys think about the characters and stuff if you want, I get the strangest feeling that I need much improvement on this. x_x
Hmm.... If you are planning on making the names generic names then may I suggest something like Buck, Charles, Franklin or thinks of that nature.

More creative ones could be something like Cicilia (sp?), Thadius or somthing that is not completely unheard of but not common either.

Nicknames (or names that sound like nicknames) are usually a surefire winner to.
Rose, Cage, Rome/Roman, teh uber 1337 wun, and stuff like that

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Trust your character development to not have to rely on names.

But there is a problem in naming in fiction.
Your initial setting is ordinary enough to not demand anything beyond average names, but that's not to say the parents couldn't have been marginally more thoughtful with a name, so strictly speaking, you're justified naming them whatever you want. Your intention being the appeal of the reader however, something like Ben, to be honest, is kind of boring. But to make it too unusual a name may give off a pretentious air of nonconformity, thus the reader will not respect your story. Too unorthodox names are also the kind of thing that interrupt a reader from accepting your story's reality. Then again, too boring and the hook is hindered. But if you stick to one category of names, or choose one in defiance of the other, you greatly limit your options and prevent healthy variety. So to get a natural flow, cool it, don't overthink your name ideas and you can just trust balance will come.

Also, the culture your character belongs to should help narrow the options.

lol, yeah, names are tough.

Logan is good though imo.

EDIT/CATCH: If that guy took the kid when he was born, how does he remember his name is Logan? It's cool if the guy that took him kept the name for him, just make sure to make that apparent when you write the full version.

jetfour

Smash Journeyman
But to make it too unusual a name may give off a pretentious air of nonconformity.
That statement was pretty pretentious lol but it made me have a good giggle at how proper you wrote that whole thing. Made me feel like an illiterate son of a *****.

My last final is on Monday!

That means I'll be willing to travel! What is the major OoS tourney I should go to this summer? Send me a link to the thread.

I might also be willing to road trip to New Mexico eventually, it it is significantly less hot.

ZEDLOCK

Smash Rookie
my team changes as i go on noctowl is more psychic pidgeot is more flying magmar has more thunder move then fire typhlosion is more fire and ground

Top Bottom