• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL AZ Power Rankings & Social Thread (Updated: 11/27/13)

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
Wait, meatspin was produced in AZ? hmm....

Just for the record, I was tricked into watching that video, and even then I could only muster it for less than a second. The song was catchy though.

I'm not gay, though.

No sir.

Not me.

Not again.

Goop

Smash Journeyman
Smashfest at my place at 4 pm on Saturday June 16th!

And in case you still don't know where I live it's:

4533 S. Mill Ave. Tempe, AZ

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
You should definitely try to stop by CHUK. We'd love to see you there and we have Shane, possibly Timmy, ALTF4, and Butters coming. Not to mention Light and Dark, but they're regulars. Drop by, this time we're doing an actual tourney. Still free, though.

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
True. If forward likes to win money, that's the way it is. Maybe when people become pro, the only way to play is for money, however, most of us are not there yet. I like to offer a gratuitous service. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
I'd love to, but right now I'm tied to Glendale at the moment. You might say we're the Goop of Glendale. But Dark and Light seem to like it. As soon as I get a car and a stable job, I wouldn't mind going to Manny's. Maybe you and Tony can teach the STB to get better. Lord knows we need it.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
I see where you're coming from G-Mo, but Sean's smashing for a living now. It's not like he's being elitist by not wanting to show up to a "nooby" tourney. He just has to smash for money or he doesn't eat.

CHUK

Smash Ace
oh yeah, im sure chuk... lol every time u say you can or try u never do come. i would love to see you prove me wrong
Not this saturday but the one after that for sure! I can play until about 5 pm, then time for work. I played Sizzle yesterday, that was some fun. I am getting closer and closer to playing you guys :).

forward

Smash Champion
True dat Dan. At the same time tho, I'm also trying to say no money tourneys = smashfest. I just don't see the point. You would get the same kind of ranking results either way, how do people hold up to each other when there is no pressure?

By all means, do what you gotta do Max. Just don't call smashfests tourneys :p

Edit: Did sizzle ever get those controller's i left for him at goops?

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
That's alright with me. If people need money to call it a smashfest, then so be it. Plus, if forward says it, it must be true. No money = Smashfest. I just want people to come.

I know Sean is not trying to be elitist--smash is his job now, he knows better than I do.

Vat"O"

Smash Journeyman
I' m just trying to play against some people who love to play smash. I hold these sessions to play smash, not to get people to play for money, but if thats what people want, then go ahead and do MMs over here too. we all know who will win all the dough if I do hold a "tourney", Forward.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
You're right Sean, from a pure terminology standpoint "smashfest" would be more clear.

Good luck to Tony and Sean at Pound. Kick some ***, guys.

Vat"O"

Smash Journeyman
You're right Sean, from a pure terminology standpoint "smashfest" would be more clear.

Good luck to Tony and Sean at Pound. Kick some ***, guys.
so having a tournament with a bracket, in pure terminology, is now a smashfest if money isn't involved. That makes no sense, Dan. Having friendlies and not managing a method for results is a "smashfest" from a pure terminology standpoint.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
I just mean that if you advertise an event as a "Tournament" the general assumption in the community is that is is for money. Whereas a smash fest is assumed to not be for money.

Any activities done within the smashfest (low tier matches, doubles, or even a mock tourney) would still be considered part of the smashfest.

It's really just a matter of semantics, though. But you don't want a bunch of people showing up to your 'tourney' expecting to win money and then getting angry, or people going to a tournament without bringing any cash.

This could be particularly important to a guy like Sean who can't afford for such a mixup to occur.

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
I just mean that if you advertise an event as a "Tournament" the general assumption in the community is that is is for money. Whereas a smash fest is assumed to not be for money.

Any activities done within the smashfest (low tier matches, doubles, or even a mock tourney) would still be considered part of the smashfest.

It's really just a matter of semantics, though. But you don't want a bunch of people showing up to your 'tourney' expecting to win money and then getting angry, or people going to a tournament without bringing any cash.

This could be particularly important to a guy like Sean who can't afford for such a mixup to occur.
True. We don't want to disappoint Sean's time. STB will host a real tournament, soon, though. For money and the whole nine-yards. Most likely it will be just before OC3. That would be the most optimal timing for it. It's still in the planning stages, though.

Vat"O"

Smash Journeyman

people getting angry would be relevant if I said there was a fee to enter or a pot. If I didn't post that there was a fee or a pot, then this issue wouldn't occur, would it? Now I understand you like bring up Sean up for some reason, but if Sean went to a tourney and didn't check if there was a pot or an entry fee, its not really my or anybody's fault he gets angry. Now, I can easily charge. I've done it plenty of times, for both Halo 2 tourney's and Smash, but no one has made an issue about our non-profit tourney until now. I mean, if it takes money to bring Forward here, then I'll do it, but don't try to demean my tourney by calling it a smash fest just because Sean said it was. Perhaps if you stop sharing his brain you'll see that. I mean the results would of been the same last week if the same people came with 5 dollars each. Statistics are stronger than words. Protecting your title is more pressure than money.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't think a smashfest is demeaning. It's just a name. This really isn't a topic worth getting bent out of shape about, we're just discussing what should be a good standard for naming.

You know I love hanging out with you guys, it doesn't matter what the name of it is.

Goop

Smash Journeyman
Nah I do it infrequently and when I feel like it.

If you are not busy today though give me a call.

forward

Smash Champion
Statistics are stronger than words. Protecting your title is more pressure than money.
Wrong and wrong again. Guys when there is no money on the line you are going to get people like me or wobbles or dark or b will, or anybody who plays more than one character to **** around for the tournament by trying to get as far as they can with a secondary or low tier.

Unless there is money on the line, you're not even bringing your title to the "tournament." You earn your title by doing well under pressured situations, like playing for $100 or $30 in the finals. If there is no money, you are playing for 1st and 2nd, nothing else. Those two places have a lot more meaning when there is a $70 difference.

B-Will

BRoomer
BRoomer
Very well put. I agree to an extent.

Like me, personally, I play for more than just money. I play to win and for bragging rights. When I beat Philippe at every tourney we play in, I like to rub it in for example.

I wouldn't necessarily say I would play less hard with no money on the line. But that's just me.

Stop talking about delicious things lol.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
-Lol, Sean. I love it when you troll.

-Alicia's Spaghetti is delicious,

-Anyone who hasn't read my blogs should check out the time travel thread in the Pool Room. The second page has a lengthy discussion from me about time that I think everyone would find interesting.

-We should smash at Goop's on Friday.

Vat"O"

Smash Journeyman
Sean, I know your awesome. You can win with a secondary character in any AZ tourney, and I'm not getting bent out of shape. AltF4 is correct about this being a discussion, so theres no beef or anybody getting angry here. So Sean, I'm just expressing my thoughts on pressure and money, like B-will said, bragging rights and having a title is more important( at least to me) than winning money. In your case Sean, you need to win money, so you obviously have a different perception than others, which I don't disagree with. I just would like to show my viewpoint. I'm also not bashing your thoughts on pressure, Forward. You may think I'm "Wrong", but when I go to a tourney like T5, I'm not worried about even winning my money back because I can't beat you, Sean. Instead the pressure comes from facing people who are in my vicinity of skill. I also come to see the faces behind the characters, and that sometimes is worth 10 $. I love this game and I don't want to bash or get butt hurt. STB , if people decide to come, will now hold money tourny's.

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
I enjoy Pizza, Pancakes, Apple Pie, Donuts, Cookies, Cupcakes, and Hamburgers.

This whole discussion is all in perspective. Free tournament = smashfest to a serious competitor. To tournament casuals who don't often expect/experience placing, a tournament is a tournament as long as there is a bracket. Money often brings about a new pressure to force certain people to step their game up. Depending on who shows up to the tournament will entice people to play above themselves and others to crumble under the pressure. IMO both sides are right, but I'm too stupid to really portray this clearly to either side, so I'll stop there and go back to what is delicious.

I need to try this Alicia's Spaghetti... Will it send me to heaven? If you didn't know, I'm on a ****ing quest.

Top Bottom