• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL AZ Power Rankings & Social Thread (Updated: 11/27/13)

ninjade1

Smash Journeyman
well dual booting does sound like the ideal way to go, its not really an option since i dont have an external disk drive and the netbooks, unless you know another way to install an OS without a cd? if so please due tell! and thank you for the imput btw

ninjade1

Smash Journeyman
touche! i didnt think the computer would pick up the boot image from the stick, then thats exactly what im doing thank you!

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
look i can trash you look those are not 360 games your is modded so thats not legit anyways there are not rythm games except dance dance revo. but other wise you have that stupid fireworks game
Guitar Hero, and Rockband are rhythm games.

That makes 3 series of games that I will win easymodo.

I don't play anything else on 360, or even own a 360. I'm not into shooters, and anything else that interests me I can get on another console. If you have Armored Core 4, I may play you at that, but I'd need to get used to it, since I've never actually played it.

jetfour

Smash Journeyman
I'd kick any of your ***** in a spelling bee.

VMan, I know you'd **** me anyways but I'll do a blazing wing eating contest with you someday.

Melee blurb of the day:
Melee goes HWWUGH when using his get up attack from the ledge... but like 3/4 of a second before he actually does it so it is too easy to react to and shield grab :/ So edgehop knee to gentleman every time!

The more you knowwwww

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Coty would beat anyone in a 'remember lots of birthdays"-off. :) Seriously. He knows the birthday of everyone he's ever met. (Who has also told him his birthday, obviously)

Simultaneously, I am terrible with names... :( Particularly the mappings of names to faces. I can recall a face, and tell if I've met you before. I will probably even remember conversations we've had, etc... But I won't remember your name.

BlackKnight23

Smash Apprentice

I don't play anything else on 360, or even own a 360. I'm not into shooters, and anything else that interests me I can get on another console. If you have Armored Core 4, I may play you at that, but I'd need to get used to it, since I've never actually played it.
Armor Core? yo lol im not even gonna say how many people have put down in that game

I'd kick any of your ***** in a spelling bee.

VMan, I know you'd **** me anyways but I'll do a blazing wing eating contest with you someday.

Melee blurb of the day:
Melee goes HWWUGH when using his get up attack from the ledge... but like 3/4 of a second before he actually does it so it is too easy to react to and shield grab :/ So edgehop knee to gentleman every time!

The more you knowwwww
lol jetfour i hope you can cause tim destroyed a crap load at my b-day

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero

Guitar Hero and Rock Band are rhythm games, but they're definitely not the types of games that are played by the more hardcore, underground, true (for lack of a better word; I apologize for using that word) rhythm game enthusiasts. Stepmania, Beatmania IIDX, Pop 'n' Music, and others. GH and RB are more of just mainstream games. Rock Band/GH are to rhythm games as Halo is to FPS games. The more hardcore FPS games would be Unreal Tournament, CS 1.4 (or Source, I suppose), L4D, and others.

HWWUGH? What does that mean? Also, who's Melee? ^__^

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Guitar Hero and Rock Band are rhythm games, but they're definitely not the types of games that are played by the more hardcore, underground, true (for lack of a better word; I apologize for using that word) rhythm game enthusiasts. Stepmania, Beatmania IIDX, Pop 'n' Music, and others. GH and RB are more of just mainstream games. Rock Band/GH are to rhythm games as Halo is to FPS games. The more hardcore FPS games would be Unreal Tournament, CS 1.4 (or Source, I suppose), L4D, and others.

HWWUGH? What does that mean? Also, who's Melee? ^__^
I play Stepmania, FFR, DDR, o2Jam, DJMax, Beatmania IIDX, ITG (Though I'm bad at it. The keys are so awkward. =\) and if we had them, I'd play Guitar freaks and drum mania. I never got into pop'n, and I'm not too good at PIU. I also never got to play any of the obscure games or third party games.

The only shooter I played seriously was GunZ, but I quit last year. I just couldn't get intot he other shooters.

jedirobb

Smash Rookie
Heya guys... I know some other people are working on the SmashBoards here, like DrDogg, but I thought I would throw the info in here and ask something of you...

I thought we had the Smash rules pretty solid and I just gt some new feedback saying otherwise... Take a peek at the Smash tourney rules and give me your feedback if you would not mind?

DEVASTATION website: http://www.devastationevent.com

The Smash announcement thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=217321

Thanks much.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Heya guys... I know some other people are working on the SmashBoards here, like DrDogg, but I thought I would throw the info in here and ask something of you...

I thought we had the Smash rules pretty solid and I just gt some new feedback saying otherwise... Take a peek at the Smash tourney rules and give me your feedback if you would not mind?

DEVASTATION website: http://www.devastationevent.com

The Smash announcement thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=217321

Thanks much.
BRAWL tournament? No Melee?

No thanks.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
I play Stepmania, FFR, DDR, o2Jam, DJMax, Beatmania IIDX, ITG (Though I'm bad at it. The keys are so awkward. =\) and if we had them, I'd play Guitar freaks and drum mania. I never got into pop'n, and I'm not too good at PIU. I also never got to play any of the obscure games or third party games.

The only shooter I played seriously was GunZ, but I quit last year. I just couldn't get intot he other shooters.
Yeah, a bunch of my friends in NOLA played PIU.

ITG doesn't have keys o___o

Jar'd

Smash Ace
While I agree with Tai that there should be melee, I'll still suggest rules.

Timer should be 8 minutes, not 5. Brawl is way too slow for 5 minutes. I'm guessing it's double elim, and winners, losers, and grand finals should be best 3/5. Judge shouldn't force smashville, just do random select out of neutrals. I don't see why Lylat isn't at least counterpick, especially seeing that Frigate is. That's about all that I can think of right now, but it's possible there are others.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Kosuke, I'm going to your uncle or mom's house this Saturday.

Call me tomorrow after 2:15 if you can. I don't want to call you since I don't trust you to pick up :/

BRING YOUR LAPTOP

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wow! They're going to have Geometry Wars at Devastation?!?! How awesome!

I used to have a score ranked in the 40's in Pacifism back when the game came out. It's not all that great of a score anymore though. But still, I love that game.

jedirobb

Smash Rookie
While I agree with Tai that there should be melee, I'll still suggest rules.

Timer should be 8 minutes, not 5. Brawl is way too slow for 5 minutes. I'm guessing it's double elim, and winners, losers, and grand finals should be best 3/5. Judge shouldn't force smashville, just do random select out of neutrals. I don't see why Lylat isn't at least counterpick, especially seeing that Frigate is. That's about all that I can think of right now, but it's possible there are others.

Thanks for that. I was chatting with some other players about the time and they suggested longer as well... they even offered up 2 stock/6 mins for pools and 3 stocks/8 mins for brackets... realistically we could probably just do 3/6 or 3/7 for both pools and brackets.

The stages are pretty difficult and we tried to take the most universally accepted maps... hopefully the players can agree and we never have an issue... (ha).

We are looking to offer a guaranteed prize of $2,000.00 for Brawl... what is your take on that? Worth it, not worth it?

Lastly, we have a HUGE casual area and we can easily have someone setup/run side Melee tournaments... it just does not make sense for us to try to run Brawl and Melee "official" tourneys. There is only so much we can do :)

jedirobb

Smash Rookie
Wow! They're going to have Geometry Wars at Devastation?!?! How awesome!

I used to have a score ranked in the 40's in Pacifism back when the game came out. It's not all that great of a score anymore though. But still, I love that game.

Glad you think it is cool. We are really trying to welcome more than the average tournament-goer and offer stuff most guys do not.

Jar'd

Smash Ace
7 minutes would work great too. Brawl's original standard time was 7 minutes, and very little issues were had with that.

I won't complain since I'm not quite a fan of lylat, but I'm still surprised that it didn't come up for at least cp. It was originally neutral back when brawl came out. Quite a change from neutral to not even on a list, lol. :p

A 2k prize for brawl would be awesome. I know it's a little on the random side thanks to tripping and it can cause a lot of grief, I still think it would be worth it. Are you guys providing all the wii's for the tourney, or are you going to have attendees bring wiis? If you are going with the 2k prize it'd be a great idea to look into wii homebrew, or just get someone to bring a wii that is hacked for no tripping and use it for like grand finals and stuff, just so there isn't any az12-teams-grand-finals bull****. It'd make winning the tourney way more legit. No one wants to be out of two thousand dollars just cause they happened to trip into a smash attack.

Tai would probably be the one to do a melee tourney so he might have something else to say, but in my opinion a little side area for extra melee tourneys would be great.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Yeah, I would.

You'd have to guarantee stations though =[

Well, TVs.

Or at the very least, tables and power outlets.

mattc1231

Smash Apprentice
heyyy everyone, haven't posted in a while, nor did i check previous posts but did anyone else sign up for the tournament at play N trade at the foothills mall in tucson? Just curious, because fridayslobster and i have already signed up.

forward

Smash Champion
play n trade banned me :( but at least they have my picture up! :D

Leave tripping in. Players have to learn to adapt.

Anyways, $2,000 would bring in DSF from SoCal, who is arguably the best player in the country right now (top 3 for sure). At the last big brawl tourney in AZ, we got players from Colorado and Las Vegas as well.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
That was a pretty good video. Axe's Pikachu was featured pretty heavily, too!

Even B-Will made an appearance. (Getting wrecked, that is)

But about Devastation: I really want to go and just play Geometry Wars. Seriously.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Is that one of those games where you try to get the highest score possible? I love those type of games (like the ones that display the High Score...)...I think I may download Retro Evolved 2 on Live. --- They also have Gears of War 2 and Mario Kart Wii...Though they aren't the highlights of the tourney, I'm highly interested. ^^ --- I wished my school allowed downloads... -.-

jedirobb

Smash Rookie
7 minutes would work great too. Brawl's original standard time was 7 minutes, and very little issues were had with that.

A 2k prize for brawl would be awesome. I know it's a little on the random side thanks to tripping and it can cause a lot of grief, I still think it would be worth it. Are you guys providing all the wii's for the tourney, or are you going to have attendees bring wiis? If you are going with the 2k prize it'd be a great idea to look into wii homebrew, or just get someone to bring a wii that is hacked for no tripping and use it for like grand finals and stuff, just so there isn't any az12-teams-grand-finals bull****. It'd make winning the tourney way more legit. No one wants to be out of two thousand dollars just cause they happened to trip into a smash attack.

Tai would probably be the one to do a melee tourney so he might have something else to say, but in my opinion a little side area for extra melee tourneys would be great.
We have a HUGE area set aside for casuals and side-tournaments. We even have an arcade partner of ours dragging full arcade cabinets down there to set on free play. As the design sits right now we have 18, 6 foot round tables with 8 chairs each open for casual gaming. we will split the tables by two for sure (TV on each side - allowing for 36 casual/side console games) and perhaps three if we can make sense to do that. We are still scrubbing designs but there we be plenty of areas for side stuff - to us it is just as important as holding the actual tournaments.

For tournament games we supply all the equipment, except controllers - you are responisble for your own. If players want to reserve a casual table and bring their setups for that - totally cool.

Yeah, I would.

You'd have to guarantee stations though =[

Well, TVs.

Or at the very least, tables and power outlets.
See above, we have plenty of space... ungodly amounts of space...

play n trade banned me :( but at least they have my picture up! :D

Leave tripping in. Players have to learn to adapt.

Anyways, $2,000 would bring in DSF from SoCal, who is arguably the best player in the country right now (top 3 for sure). At the last big brawl tourney in AZ, we got players from Colorado and Las Vegas as well.
I was wondering where your were buddy-o. Tripping stays, I agree. Remember the space we held 2008 in? This year it is roughly 4x longer, wider, and taller than that. What is your call on the time... 3/6, 3/7, 3/8?

They also have Gears of War 2 and Mario Kart Wii...Though they aren't the highlights of the tourney, I'm highly interested.
Do $2,000.00 pots for each of those games make them "highlights"? Heck, we are running TWO Gears tourneys - we are giving them the love :)

jetfour

Smash Journeyman
HEY! I'm in that video! Did you see my Mewtwo make an appearance?
No, I saw some other guy's mewtwo. It was okay.

Haha of course I saw it ****. Same with Sean and Rob, but I thought it was cool to have some nonpro acknowledgment in that video.

10aztoogoods

Samuelson

Smash Lord
I would go to a big tourney in AZ. Ive been very curious about what the smash scene is like there. LOTS of people from SoCal would go. I would estimate that 30-50 would go from SoCal for sure if the tourney was large enough.

jedirobb

Smash Rookie
Wow...Who's sponsoring for those two games?
Shhh. Secrets. Why, do you want to sponsor a game?

I would go to a big tourney in AZ. Ive been very curious about what the smash scene is like there. LOTS of people from SoCal would go. I would estimate that 30-50 would go from SoCal for sure if the tourney was large enough.
Well, get us on your schedule because it is going to be that big...

Also, thanks for the feedback guys - I will change up the rounds to 7 minutes and should have it posted in minutes. Do me a favor and try and kill the people in like 3 though :laugh:

jetfour

Smash Journeyman
$2,000 is a lot of money. When it's guaranteed, it better be there. People are furious when promises are broken. The ones that can't afford lawyers will riot and loot (probably not though but always follow through with guarantees). If there are any circumstances that could prevent the huge pot, disclose it so people (particularly out-of-staters) don't travel to the tournament for nothing.

$2,000 for Brawl will lure people from all over the country. Why is Guilty Gear being sponsored? It has some hardcore players, but the amount of people entering wouldn't be nearly enough to make up for the $2,000.

Top Bottom