• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL AZ Power Rankings & Social Thread (Updated: 11/27/13)

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
offtopic: Oscar and I are planning something pretty big that is also Melee related. I'll update with relevant information soon, hopefully.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Really? Nice

Btw....

SMASHFEST AT MY HOUSE NEXT FRIDAY (January 30th) PM for directions

fark

Smash Apprentice
offtopic: Oscar and I are planning something pretty big that is also Melee related. I'll update with relevant information soon, hopefully.
i will play melee seriously again only for this
that is of course,if all of stb is there,including BIG BLACK

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
I could help run (and more IMPORTANTLY, seed and design) the bracket, but don't expect me to like, be there the whole time.

Zakuro

Smash Rookie
Just moved to AZ....

How is the smash scene?

Anything compared to Cali?

lol

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Melee or Brawl?

Where do you live?

Where are you coming from? Who did you play with?

EDIT:

You live in Paulden?

Sorry, unless you're willing to drive 2.5 hours to play this game, just quit now.

p.s.

AZ's top 5 is probably on par with Norcal's. Maybe even BETTER than Norcal's.

However, we fall very very short in any other department.

If, for example, AZ's top 10 played against Socal/Norcal's top ten, we'd get straight up DEMOLISHED. Top 5 v top 5 would be a very good match, though.

AZ's lacking in everything except its top professionals.

We need more pros, is what I'm getting at.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Oh, so you are out of denial now? Great... after I leave.

Anyway, I was wondering if AZ was going to have a crew at Genesis and, if so, who was going to be on it.

jedirobb

Smash Rookie
$2,000 is a lot of money. When it's guaranteed, it better be there. People are furious when promises are broken. The ones that can't afford lawyers will riot and loot (probably not though but always follow through with guarantees). If there are any circumstances that could prevent the huge pot, disclose it so people (particularly out-of-staters) don't travel to the tournament for nothing.

$2,000 for Brawl will lure people from all over the country. Why is Guilty Gear being sponsored? It has some hardcore players, but the amount of people entering wouldn't be nearly enough to make up for the $2,000.

If I was not such a laid back guy I might be insulted by the way you said that... $2,000.00 might be a lot of money to YOU but to others, not so much... I understand your point about the "if it is guaranteed it better be there" but I hope you can see that there might have been a more courteous way to make your point.

I was going to comment directly on Guilty Gear but I have used this line before and I think it answers any question related to prizes/amounts/why...

"Do not worry about my money and what I spend it on."

BUT, if you simply must know, there is a vast majority of players/events/tournaments out there that do not take games like Smash and GG seriously and I want you guys to know that you are appreciated and, I feel, just as deserving as a Tekken or SF or Marvel.

Now, we have not "officially" announced a $2,000.00 pot for Smash yet... so it is a bit of a moot point at this moment... give it a week or so and we can chat about the topic again :grin:

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
Since my ride crapped out on my for ACMM 3, I'll need a ride. Can anyone from Tucson take me to this tourney? There IS GAS MONEY in it for you.

Also, forward why are you still banned from PnT tourneys? They banned you from the last Brawl tourney after you ***** their Melee one almost a year ago. I'll get you unbanned.

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
i will play melee seriously again only for this
that is of course,if all of stb is there,including BIG BLACK
I haven't seen Avery in forever. Man, I miss the big lug.

I could help run (and more IMPORTANTLY, seed and design) the bracket, but don't expect me to like, be there the whole time.
Naive Tai jumping to conclusions.

Oh, so you are out of denial now? Great... after I leave.

Anyway, I was wondering if AZ was going to have a crew at Genesis and, if so, who was going to be on it.
Denial? I never said Brawl was better than Melee. What I am saying is Brawl is still not as bad as you guys say.

But I digress.

It's not what you think, I promise. We're not running a tournament.

or are we? no. not this time.

It's something else. Something much more else. I've got to talk to some people and gather some information first.

There are so many possibilities with this project; I'm giddy.

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
I am not at liberty to discuss this yet. I don't want to get you guys all hyped up and end up disappointing.

I'll set up the pins, I'll watch them fall.

jetfour

Smash Journeyman
If I was not such a laid back guy I might be insulted by the way you said that... $2,000.00 might be a lot of money to YOU but to others, not so much... I understand your point about the "if it is guaranteed it better be there" but I hope you can see that there might have been a more courteous way to make your point.

I was going to comment directly on Guilty Gear but I have used this line before and I think it answers any question related to prizes/amounts/why...

"Do not worry about my money and what I spend it on."

BUT, if you simply must know, there is a vast majority of players/events/tournaments out there that do not take games like Smash and GG seriously and I want you guys to know that you are appreciated and, I feel, just as deserving as a Tekken or SF or Marvel.

Now, we have not "officially" announced a $2,000.00 pot for Smash yet... so it is a bit of a moot point at this moment... give it a week or so and we can chat about the topic again :grin:
I'm blunt because I know you can handle it ;) I appreciate your "laid back-ness".

I'm stern about the situation because there have been cases in the past where guaranteed pots have been backed out on. A talented player may invest in airfare and other travel expenses, knowing that the pot is enough to cover the costs and profit a little. However, if the pot falls short in violation of the guarantee, that player lost a lot of money without deserving it. I don't speak of this from personal experience, but feel empathetic towards talented players that didn't deserve to lose so much money because of faulty guarantees.

The way I worded the GG thing made it sound like I was biased towards smash, so my fault on that. I was just curious as to why GG is one of the few games getting the pot from a business perspective. I'm not a Halo fan but I know that a Halo pot of that size would lure a significantly large number of players. I couldn't see GG realistically gaining much profit (if any) with a $2K pot. To put it simply I guess, did somebody (that did the choosing of what games get the pots) just personally favor Guilty Gear or is there some actual business gain from it that I don't know about and I should just shut up? I appreciate your appreciation for the other games/gamers but find it difficult to believe that there is some philanthropic person will to choose to fund thousands of dollars for the sake of video games instead of something else.

Zakuro

Smash Rookie
Melee or Brawl?

Where do you live?

Where are you coming from? Who did you play with?

EDIT:

You live in Paulden?

Sorry, unless you're willing to drive 2.5 hours to play this game, just quit now.

p.s.

AZ's top 5 is probably on par with Norcal's. Maybe even BETTER than Norcal's.

However, we fall very very short in any other department.

If, for example, AZ's top 10 played against Socal/Norcal's top ten, we'd get straight up DEMOLISHED. Top 5 v top 5 would be a very good match, though.

AZ's lacking in everything except its top professionals.

We need more pros, is what I'm getting at.
Man...

Paulden sucks.

Hahah

I moved from Concord... I used to mostly play with DBR and some well known-ish names in california like... Zhu, Falcomist, Tang, Lunin, Kizzo, SideFX, Cuba and some other fools...

Im not that great though, Only been playing for a few months ._.

Ill try to make it out ot a tourney once in awhile though...

P

PvP

Since my ride crapped out on my for ACMM 3, I'll need a ride. Can anyone from Tucson take me to this tourney? There IS GAS MONEY in it for you.

Also, forward why are you still banned from PnT tourneys? They banned you from the last Brawl tourney after you ***** their Melee one almost a year ago. I'll get you unbanned.
Hey Tommy it's Miles, this is my new tag. :chuckle:

Also, could anyone post a list of all of these tournaments in AZ going on?

P

PvP

Ok and I know about the PnT one, which is probably the only one I'm going to be able to make. Is anyone fer sure going?....to the PnT?

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Super Smash Bros. Melee for the Nintendo Gamecube is a vast fighting game packed with endless action and and an endless amount of possibilities.

**** Brawl.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Forward is banned from PnT tourneys too?

Lol :D

jedirobb

Smash Rookie
I'm blunt because I know you can handle it ;) I appreciate your "laid back-ness".

I'm stern about the situation because there have been cases in the past where guaranteed pots have been backed out on. A talented player may invest in airfare and other travel expenses, knowing that the pot is enough to cover the costs and profit a little. However, if the pot falls short in violation of the guarantee, that player lost a lot of money without deserving it. I don't speak of this from personal experience, but feel empathetic towards talented players that didn't deserve to lose so much money because of faulty guarantees.

The way I worded the GG thing made it sound like I was biased towards smash, so my fault on that. I was just curious as to why GG is one of the few games getting the pot from a business perspective. I'm not a Halo fan but I know that a Halo pot of that size would lure a significantly large number of players. I couldn't see GG realistically gaining much profit (if any) with a $2K pot. To put it simply I guess, did somebody (that did the choosing of what games get the pots) just personally favor Guilty Gear or is there some actual business gain from it that I don't know about and I should just shut up? I appreciate your appreciation for the other games/gamers but find it difficult to believe that there is some philanthropic person will to choose to fund thousands of dollars for the sake of video games instead of something else.

I do completely understand about false promises and can assure you, integrity is held at a premium over here - if we say it is so, then it shall be.

There are some business gains to be had for the Guilty Gear pot and you need not shut up. In any transaction there are degrees of win and loss... sure, the amount of players may not end up covering the financial cost of something like a $2,000.00 pot but perhaps there are other "wins" to be had that make sense... Also, I would rather throw budget money into raising the pots and have the players happy than spend tons of money on decorations and other crap that does not directly impact the players' experience.

Anywho... I could go on all day discussing marekting strategies and the like... I think we are on the same page, at least enough, and hope you decide to come out and play. It is really going to be an awesome event. I just took the entire project team to the hotel and the convention center for the first time yesterday and everyone is excited about what we have to offer this year.

jedirobb

Smash Rookie
For those who care... annnnnnnnd you should.... the next guaranteed prize pot annoucement for DEVASTATION 2009 happens on Monday, February 2nd...

:chuckle:

Sooo there.

fark

Smash Apprentice
yes but it gets old
we've done this time and time again
we all know where everyone stands

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Just reiterating....

I'm hosting a Smashfest at my house on Friday in preparation for the tournament.

Is anyone from Tempe going to make the journey up here?

TOONNYY?

TheRealColtMaster

Smash Apprentice
I JUST NOW SIGNED UP TO THIS THREAD AND LIVE IN PHEONIX!

Im Nathaniel (21yrs old), just joined up and I only play smash 64. I want to test my skilles. wish there was a big AZ tourny for ssb64.

If there is i havent heard of it.

If you live in PHX and are very VERY good at ssb64 and mabye still play it i would love to challenge you.

Me and my twin bro have a place and play 1v1 all the time. only problem is besides our cousin we really dont know any1 good to play.

I just won a PlayNTrade ssb64 tourny on the 10th. (60$) yay lol. anyway let me know if you wanna play.

BlackKnight23

Smash Apprentice
id appreciate it if you keep your opinion to yourself, sir.
I appreciate it if you PLAY A BETTER GAME

i wouldn't care if people accepted melee, practiced it, and played brawl on the side. My problems where people complain melee is too hard and resort to brawl cause they don want to take the time to practice melee

Top Bottom