• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official ask Roy Boards Thread (Roy Tactical Discussion.)

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Reverse blazer doesn't work on jiggs at FoD, the roof is higher than FD/Stadium.
Even with no DI? Sad day.

Exarch and Sethlon, when I get the overwhelming urge to pick Roy during tournament matches even though I know I'm going to be 3-stocked, what do I do.
Find me so I can watch and cheer you on.

mom7

Smash Cadet
yo, i think that we should search on the internet for some good roy footages(combo) or good skill to send them to gimpy so everyone can see how roy kick ***. No but seriously, we need that every other player be amazed about roy in the metagame video.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
i have some ridiculous roy combos atm

also i'm picking up roy he's too fun

well for like a week anyways - we'll see how that goes haha

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
If there was, he would tell us. however, some of the other good Roy's don't post here, so it's tough to get good vids. I gave an above post on this thread with some of Reed's combo vids.

Renth

Smash Hero
Gimpy goes through a lot of characters but he's forever a Bowser main.

@ Exarch: I miss you man.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
sethlon i want to see your mm vs P
it will make me want to play Roy even more
It got recorded :)
I got almost all of my pool matches recorded too (which includes me vs hella and mango). I'll link em up in the vid thread whenever it gets put up/I find it.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
roy was more fun than expected - why did i NEVER play roy before?

guess i'll be a roy main soon because i just basically recorded a combo video.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
kool. always people forget about Roy because he's a clone to the most popular character, they don't realize he's great and fun as his own character. Though I'll admit the difficulty of making a combo vid of a character who doesn't have combos :/

mom7

Smash Cadet
the videos of sethlon are finally up, and they are really good, that was crazy when mango used that zelda on sethlon. If you want the vids, search on youtube roy, and than click on date added and you will see them, there are like 5.5 new vids of sethlon.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Guys are there any guides or w/e for Roy CG:ing fox/falco
answers to questions like: can they shine out unless you pivot grab like with marth's cg? when does regrabbing stop working (with and without di)? when should you start using uairs? etc..

also, how do I grab combo chars that aren't fox/falco...:p

yellowroy

Smash Ace
Wow I haven't played Roy for a while. I'm going to post some vids of my Roy soon (maybe) to critique, and how do you use the Dair to spike?

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Dair you have to hit them with like... your back/really close to your body to spike them. It's pretty weak, either way.

I have no idea about the Roy chaingrab, I just keep trying it until it stops working. Against other characters, it's mostly just predicting techs with fthrow/dthrow?, I would imagine, then chasing with dtilts or Double Edged Dances or fsmashes.

Speaking of throws, does Roy have the Marth thing going on with the dthrow being better than the bthrow? I get weird angles with both, but that's probably more because of DI than anything.

EDIT: Sethlon, are the vids up yet? Also, you managed to get a lot of shield grabs off on Mango's Sheik... Just throwin' that out there.

exarch

doot doot doot
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=117055
^That thread^ has the most accurate percentages and variations you can use on the CG against fox. Against falco things typically work for a few percentages later.

I never finished writing up the first post, but maybe I'll do that later on.

With good DI, Roy can't grab combo anyone except Fox and Falco (and maybe CF.) Dthrow to fsmash works on midweights though. Fthrow to reverse upb can work on lazy jigglypuffs. Basically throw and chase and see if you get lucky. Improvise.

Dair specifics can be found in my recent guide.

apathyatlarge

Smash Cadet
Bay Area, CA (PM me if you are nearby and see if w
worst question to ask, but I figured it was better than starting a new thread to ask it:
how does one approach with d-tilt as Roy? Dash to CC, or just wavedash into it? To me the spacing seems pretty difficult, but I have not been able to figure out the full practicality of d-tilt.
also, is up-tilt really that bad if you can combo into it?
finally, is approaching onto a platform with a full-jump nair better than trying to platform camp with a few short-hop u-airs?
Thanks in advance.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Wavedash -> dtilt is your best bet.
Uptilt is a pretty terrible move. It has some combo application, though. Mess around with it.
Nair is better for hitting people out of a tech, since it has multiple hitboxes. Uair is safer, but a bit harder to time, and if you don't manage to follow it up it does pretty lame damage.

apathyatlarge

Smash Cadet
okay, thanks :D
for DED, should I use the third downwards hit and then chase into a grab more often than just three forward hits? I'm sure that the third forward hit should be applied more at higher percentages for a potential KO, but for getting to a KO, which is better?
also, on bair and dair..is it bad to shffl bair as a backwards approach, or is u-air more useful if sweet-spotted?..I've heard a lot about using u-air as an approach. For dair, when should it be applied? after a tech, falling onto your opponent, etc..
final question of this post: all of Roy's throws can actually be useful correct?

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Backwards approaches are generally awkward because you can't follow them with dtilts and such as easily. The fair and nair are just generally better, too.

Uair... not sure, if it's like Marth's it'd be good when sweetspotted, but make sure you do sweetspot it.

Dair can be used as a spike... I think Sethlon uses it to set up tech chases.

I believe Roy's bthrow is not as useful as his dthrow, it's pretty much just a DI mindgame.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Yeah, bair approach just doesn't work. Poor setup for the hitboxes on it, inconvenience for having to be turned around, and doesn't combo at all.
Fair and nair work well, but they'll get you shield grabbed if you don't space right. Crossover uair/nair is pretty much unpunishable, as long as you don't screw up right afterwards.

Dair works nicely for when you shield an opponents attack, but are facing away. Its also got a nice large sweep, so short hopping it in a lot of situations will catch people off guard. I wouldn't advise approaching with it often, its a got a decent amount of lag.
And yeah, dtilt -> dair spike can set up for tech chases ^_^

Most of roy's throws are useful...uair chains on spacies and combos on semi-fast fallers who don't DI to your back. Fthrow can usually get a regrab at 0%, and can link to an fsmash on heavy chars that DI the wrong way. Dthrow can link to an fsmash if they DI to your front.
Bthrows only real use is throwing them off the ledge at a lower angle than dthrow.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Assuming they DI to your back, I believe so.

Also, I pretty much never use third overB down. Its kinda slow =/ I dunno if it even connects if the first two hit. Never really tried though, I'll mess around with it next chance I get.

apathyatlarge

Smash Cadet
with b-throw I really only use it when I'm near the edge if I mean to use it..I like to follow it up with flare blade or f-smash when my opponent jumps IF they do it too early to sweetspot the edge. here's one:
What are use for jab and f-tilt? gimps on spacies? I think f-tilt can be a last resort killer on floaties at unreasonably/unfortunately high percentages XD

apathyatlarge

Smash Cadet
well for the third down hit, it really only works with mindgames. the opponent must be baited into it. Of course I don't have any real tourney experience, but I have heard that it is THE anti-CC attack ^_^ it hits multiple times, and I assume all the hitboxes send the opponent upwards, giving time for a grab. as for comboing it..maaaybe on spacies with forward, up, down with bad DI. Not really worth trying though I'm sure :X

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
the DED down is ok for shield poking, the third hit might get it or the fourth. unfortunately, the third hit down has too much lag to follow up with combos.

making up for lost posts while on vacation, bair approach isn't worth it. the uairs can be used to intimidate, but isn't a good approach because you need to set it up with Dtilt or Uthrow. I like Nair approaches because fair can get them off of sweetspot range and doesn't do as much damage. the dair is not very reliable, but can be used to tech chase if used right. if you can't get your back to face them, you can also get the meteor smash if you're right above the enemy. the three neutral DED hits are the best. It can get them off the edge, but is also just a safe approach/move.

I use Uthrow for setups and Dthrow to Fsmash, I should use Fthrow moar, and I'll occasionly do Bthrow off the edge because it looks like it has farther knockback. jabs aren't very useful, maybe to quickly cancel an attack if you don't have time to counter. I personally don't use Ftilt, maybe it's ok for mindgames since it's faster then the Fsmash, but i don't like its upward knockback. the third down DED is fine against samus and others who CC, but >B^BvB is a bad idea. I sometimes try>B>B^BvB, but I can't say that's a great idea either.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I've been using the wrong throw all this time then... meh, stupid Nintendo and their failure at cloning characters.

Ftilt is nice where you want to fsmash but don't really want to commit too much. Jab... probably not that useful, considering the knockback and speed are pretty bad. You can use it to stop Illusion recoveries, but that's about it, and I'm a little iffy on that.

If Roy's uair is like Marth's, it should start out hitting in front. I dunno, test it if you want. Anyway, if it does, it's really nice to connect with because it can lead to grabs at low to medium percentages and fsmashes at higher ones.

The third hit down has a lot of lag before where you can be hit out of it if the first two were crouch canceled and a lot of lag after, so you probably won't be comboing with it even if you hit with it. I don't think all the hits send upwards, just the last one. If you're comboing into it on someone unshielded, they'd have to be a fast faller at very low damage. Generally, not worth trying for. I dunno, I use it when I accidentally hit a shield as a desperation attack. Almost never pays off for me though =(

You should ask Sethlon for a mini-guide on the Double Edged Dance =) He uses it really well, and it's something I don't fully understand.

exarch

doot doot doot
I like the 3rd DED down hit. It knocks CCers over at pretty much any percent, so if I see the first two hits are CCed I'll try to blow through them as fast as possible so they don't time the CCCounter right. Also even if it doesn't shield poke, it will push most shielders away to where they can't SG you.

Added bonus, it has teh phir3.

I also like Roy's jab when I need some room and a quick move. DED is faster, but doesn't push them away as far.

Uair is good as a cross up; it does start out in front of Roy, but if you hit with the front part it's a tipper hit. Hitting with the backside of it will sweetspot and set up for combos.

mom7

Smash Cadet
Hi, I would like to know how to do a dash dance than following it with a down tilt or even an up tilt. I would also like to know how to do a dash dance and follow it with a d-smash??

thanks for the answers

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I always feel better when I see that other people don't use pivoting either. Makes my lack of motivation to learn it feel more justified.

rudeezy

Smash Journeyman
i was reading a youtube comment exarch posted about canceling dtilt into shield by walking forward

did anyone try to see if this works/ how useful this is?

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
It's really nice. Basically, you can't shield in the IASA frames on the dtilt (same with Marth), so you have to tilt forward to walk to use the IASA frames and then shield to cancel the walk.

It's good for like... edge pressure. Dtilt to force them to do something, they try to punish your lag with an attack and you shieldgrab it. Tada.

rudeezy

Smash Journeyman
i just messed with it for a quick minute

i think if you do the walk to shield you can cancel dtilt out fast at the first IASA frame and you can just jump out of shield and nair or some other aerial. super fast cancel that makes dtilt a little safer <3

Top Bottom