• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official ask Roy Boards Thread (Roy Tactical Discussion.)

vZakat

Half Genie
FoD can be OK for peach if you stay towards the center of the stage. If you're careful with your spacing it can be OK for marth as well. A sheik that is campy and uses needles a lot can be quite bothersome on FoD. I think falco is horrible on that stage. Any small stage against falco is like being trapped in a cage with a vicious animal, there's nowhere to run. I'd much prefer stadium.

I always found yoshi's to be a better choice against jiggs. I haven't had that much practice in this match-up though. *shrugs*

GA Peach

Smash Lord
do you guys use 1st hit of DED against sheik to disrupt approaches as well? i use it in general to stop approaches of characters, but i don't play against sheik very much. the only sheik i play against at all is Mike G, as you might have seen in the vids i posted, and even that's rare. all that said, the DED hit seems to work for me, especially against lighter characters like Peach. i can usually get a grab or spaced aerial afterwards on the floaty people.

comboking

Smash Master
im sorry stupid question but I already try it and it works and I can't pratice that because my melee disk will not work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lord Knight

Smash Lord
comboking said:
how do I battle against a Link who uses his forward-b to lead me in to his UPB
N-air and b-air will beat his boomerang as long as you space it well.

GAPeach said:
do you guys use 1st hit of DED against sheik to disrupt approaches as well? i use it in general to stop approaches of characters, but i don't play against sheik very much. the only sheik i play against at all is Mike G, as you might have seen in the vids i posted, and even that's rare. all that said, the DED hit seems to work for me, especially against lighter characters like Peach. i can usually get a grab or spaced aerial afterwards on the floaty people.
Generally DED is a hard move to use on Sheik since if you're trying to space a single hit she'll just CC grab and chaingrab you to death (like a stupid *****). If you do hit her with it, do the normal forward b > forward b > forward b, the third hit should knockdown. Peach will CC dsmash your first hit DED. I don't find it useful at all.

comboking

Smash Master
How do i fight a captain falcon who spams his b moves and his KNEE thanks for the help Lord Knight

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
All of Captain Falcon's B moves except his Up+B are relatively slow and counterable and you should be able to react. Just spam Down+B until both of you get better : P.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Marty: Yes I use the first hit of DED on everyone. If i'm playing someone who's CCing a lot I try to do the first three hits of DED as fast as possible and sometimes their CCC timing is bad and I can get lucky. I typically do the normal three over hits instead of opting for the third downwards hit because they come out faster so there's less time for the CCC. But then sometimes I do the downward third hit. Meh.

ComboKing: Bomerang can be shielded or swatted (with a jab or overb or any move you want)
Against that kind of CF, you can CC the overb and downb and dtilt -> fsmash him for punishers. Against falcon punch just wait it out and fsmash, upb make him miss and punish. Or counter if you want.

Thanks Ankoku and LK.

My computer died last tuesday, so I haven't been on the boards at all recently. We wiped the hard drive and I'm currently running linux just so I can be online once again. Anyways around it, I'm back.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
did you guys know that throwing a jiggs down and then turning around and doing the reverse blazer will kill jiggs even on the maps that have too high of a ceiling to kill jiggs on the ground. only works while they're below 15%

also, who would I need to beat to become a respected roy player in the midwest? I'm almost as good as sethlon!

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
did you guys know that throwing a jiggs down and then turning around and doing the reverse blazer will kill jiggs even on the maps that have too high of a ceiling to kill jiggs on the ground. only works while they're below 15%
Interesting idea. Although your opponent would have to DI really bad to fall for it, for a chance at a whole stock it'd be worth it.

also, who would I need to beat to become a respected roy player in the midwest? I'm almost as good as sethlon!
"Respected" and "Roy Player" are pretty much oxymorons in the eyes of the general smash community =/ To really garner respect as a roy player you'd have to go to big tournies + play really good people and do well.

is smashboards slow or is it my internet
Smashboards has been screwy for me and friends i've talked to about it lately =/
*Blames brawl noobs*

comboking

Smash Master
thanks how come i can't wavedash like you can i hold the controller stick diagonaly the whole time or do I have to return the control stick to it's neutral position again and again. but I remember being told that it goes shorter if you do thet

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Interesting idea. Although your opponent would have to DI really bad to fall for it, for a chance at a whole stock it'd be worth it.

Well I noticed this when on battlefield playing my friend I tried the reverse blazer and it didn't kill at 100 and I rememberd % doesn't matter, but anyway he came all the way down to the ground and and I grabed and threw down and I was going to smash but I guess my finger spasmed and I did the reverse blazer and it killed him which I thought was weird since he was so close to the ground but I started experimenting and you can do it to them from 0- 14% if they di toward you, 0- 10% if they don't di, and I don't think you can do it if they di away cuz they can get of a nair

"Respected" and "Roy Player" are pretty much oxymorons in the eyes of the general smash community =/ To really garner respect as a roy player you'd have to go to big tournies + play really good people and do well.
lol, that's funny. Who is the best person you've beat? cuz the best I ever beat was khepri

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
The Advanced How To Play guide should help with all the technical stuff...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n4s5yB7ZkE
If that doesn't help, check around in some of the stickied thread in Melee discussion, I imagine they have a wavedashing guide around there somewhere.

I started experimenting and you can do it to them from 0- 14% if they di toward you, 0- 10% if they don't di, and I don't think you can do it if they di away
Huh, can you really get one off if they don't DI at all? If so that'd be amazing. I'm going to a big tourny this weekend, if I meet any 'puffs i'll test it out.

lol, that's funny. Who is the best person you've beat? cuz the best I ever beat was khepri
Like no one T_T
I've beaten SideEffect, good fox who got third at the Midnight Gaming Championship finals. Beat gimpyfish in a $5mm at FC:D (but its bowser =/) (gimpyfish is freaking amazing though). I've taken matches off of some of the best people in Texas, but never sets. *shrug*

sagemoon

Smash Lord
i've beat gimpyfish as roy in a WA friendly set (he wasnt sandbagging. he got pissed and left...) I switched to roy from marth 2 months ago but i havent posted any matches =/. I think i beat silent wolf in a friendly as well but that was like 1 outta 7 XD

i've beat gimpyfish as roy in a WA friendly set (he wasnt sandbagging. he got pissed and left...) I switched to roy from marth 2 months ago but i havent posted any matches =/. I think i beat silent wolf in a friendly as well but that was like 1 outta 7 XD
He doesn't get mad when he loses, just when he plays bad or messes up a lot. So there.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
I've got a rather big post (and other people made posts) about fighting samus on the first page. Check 'em out.

comboking

Smash Master
If you remember when i asked how to beat a captain falcon that uses his b Moves well we had a smashfest and sometimes i got the couter but B-master his gamer tag but they were to randon and we both won about the same as each other ... Man Im better than ragnarockntexas sorry if i spelled it wrong!!!!!!

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
David (vZakat), I haven't had a chance to look at that video until today because this thing doesn't have flash on it.

I just watched it once (like 6 hours ago too) but here's some things i remember.

the biggest thing i noticed is chad continually jumped out of your first hit of overb. you could rely on him to do it, then steal his second jump with a well placed uair or nair. Eventually leading to a fsmash or a platform techchase.

Another thing you could do with this is grab him uthrow him and chase his DI, waiting for his second jump (odds are he would have), then combo till you get sick and fsmash. (I do this with peach)

after your dtilts you tried to SHfair then FHnair. you got it once, but every other time he jumped away from you. I am of the opinion fair should be used when roy is close to the ground, whereas nair is for rising attacks. basically, fair should be used on the way down after a SH whereas nair you can generally shuffle. fair just doesn't have enough stun time otherwise. Nair onto platforms, fair coming down off of them. (IMO)

good recoveries for the most part. Make sure you hit your sweetspots, ganon's uair shouldn't be beating the blazer.

you walked to the edge, then dash cancelled and started charging the flareblade. if you're walking you don't need to dash cancel.

when i spike people into the ground with the overb, i try to outspace the get up with a dtilt (you can get a tipper at least) however i typically mess up, whereas you DDed around and got a grab. i think the dtilt would have more payoff but well done anyways.

you're pretty much to the point where asking for general advice isn't going to get you very far (because you're not very predictable... at least from what this video shows and what i remember). At this point, it's just a matter of playing around with your style and trying to vary it against different opponents and seeing what works. pay attention to their habits (always easier to do in retrospect) and try to learn how to punish everything.

Very well done.
I might try Roy on Chaddd next time i play him in tourney if Peach fails me.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
What is this thread doing back in the abyss...?

Uh, if you haven't yet, you guys should check out the Weird Counter Effects thread i just opened. Fun stuff.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
This thread should live.

Feel free to still ask questions guys, just remember that we reserve the right to belittle you if the questions are dumb/already answered earlier in the thread. :smoke:

sherigami

Smash Journeyman
whats the matchup roy vs roy? i no that fighting fire with fire is good but ow do u make ur fire better?

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Fight Fire With Fire is a good song :)

Fthrow tech chases work really well on roy, his being a fast faller makes it so you can tech chase at pretty high %s. Tech chase -> fsmash is a nice finisher.

Upthrow is decent for comboing, but you'll have to jump after their double jump.

Roys a pretty good weight for dthrow -> fsmash at low percents, if you can catch your opponent DIing badly. It can lead to a quick gimp if you've got your back to the ledge.

Dtilt can ironically be crouch cancelled into a dtilt of your own, as long as you're at a moderately low percent. Any crouch cancelled aerial at low %s is also a free dtilt. Try to go for DED/grab combos when the other roy is at low percents to get around it. You could also try fsmashing instead if they just sit there and crouch cancel.

Edgeguarding is pretty easy, just grab the ledge. If the other Roy is going to make it up to the ledge, just roll/waveland up onto the stage and fsmash. A flareblade/sweetspotted fair/bair off the stage is pretty much a guaranteed kill as long as you grab the edge afterwards.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
can you please critique me sethlon

comboking

Smash Master
hey Sethlon How should I fight against a sheik who combos me with upsmash and uptilt and edge guards me with those frickin' needles.
btw can i call you Alex

Top Bottom