• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official ask Roy Boards Thread (Roy Tactical Discussion.)

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
I'd prefer Seth.

For the needling...save your double jump until your near the edge, if they eat your double jump with the needles you're good as dead. Don't be afraid to fastfall to dodge the needles, just make sure you can make it all the back afterwards.

For upsmash/tilt, just wait for it and crouch cancel. Its a free dtilt, and then the combos are all yours :)

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Uair is... honestly, not extremely useful against spacies because it doesn't have enough knockback to keep them in the air, but it's really all you have. Always be looking for the fsmash opportunity, though.

As far as your second question goes, it depends. At lower percentages, you can chaingrab (sorta? I'm not sure if it's a real chaingrab, but it works on people who don't know it shouldn't work) and tech chase grab, but it's better to combo when possible, and really, I'd just go for the edgeguarding situation as soon as possible, because that's going to be your key to winning against spacies.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Uair is great for comboing spacies at high percent
except that there's no point in comboing anyone at high percent since you can just finish it off with an fsmash at any point. so nvm
****, i wish more of roys arials then nair had hitstun to speak of :(

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Exarch lol I didn't know you played Roy.

Ultimate roy combos vs. ffallers:

-uthrow, if they don't d.i., you can usmash twice at low percents.

-shffl uair->dsmash for kills.

-dtilt->grab/fsmash

-SPAM FORWARD B.

-if they know what CCing is you are screweeed.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
how useful is uair against spacies?

also, should I focus on tech chasing grabs or doing combos more on spacies?
Uair is useful as always as a poke when they're above/on platforms, and at high % it can combo to rack up more damage and lead to a nair/flare blade to set up an edgeguard.

Chaingrabbing destroys spacies on FD. If you're not on FD, you can still throw them onto platforms and tech chase with upsmash/nair. F/dthrow tech chasing works wonders too, especially if you can get fsmashes in. Upthrow -> upsmash does work nice for racking up damage if they don't DI the throw.

Dtilt ***** space animals, get em in anyway you can.

why doesn't roy have any kill moves...durp.
Roy has plenty of kill moves! Like...fsmash...dsmash......flare blade....uuhh...
Well, why doesn't Ganon have good recovery :mad:
Lol, speaking of kill moves, I killed gabe's falcon with an uptilt earlier today :laugh: 150ish% on pkm stadium's platform.

comboking

Smash Master
I'd prefer Seth.

For the needling...save your double jump until your near the edge, if they eat your double jump with the needles you're good as dead. Don't be afraid to fastfall to dodge the needles, just make sure you can make it all the back afterwards.

For upsmash/tilt, just wait for it and crouch cancel. Its a free dtilt, and then the combos are all yours :)
thanks for the help and yes i will call u Seth instead

GA Peach

Smash Lord
i'm gonna re-activate this thread, as i want to ask sethlon something. do you ever play against peach players with roy? if so, how do you fight them? she and samus are a nightmare for me to fight, but i have a much better grasp on how to fight samus than peach...

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I need to know what frame counter comes out.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
What would you guys say is the best DED chain to pull off? Or just name some of your favorite ones since I seem to be subpar at it.

I usually do 1st strike- neutral second - down third for CCers and I usually end it there.

comboking

Smash Master
right right Up if you wanna spike your opponent this works. Thats my opinion I know you were tlking to Seth and Exarch

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
do you ever play against peach players with roy? if so, how do you fight them? she and samus are a nightmare for me to fight, but i have a much better grasp on how to fight samus than peach...
Yup. Peach is a pain in the *** =/

First off, don't ever get in range for her dsmash. If circumstance puts you there, run away. Fast. One dsmash can easily lead to the same damage you'll do in 6-8 hits.

Fair/nair can knock away turnips, but if I ever get a turnip thrown at me I usually just wavedash back and wait. If they float towards you, ftilt will often beat out fair. Crouch cancel ***** her running attack. If they go to pull out another turnip, rush in for a run -> cc -> dtilt (or dsmash if you're looking for the kill)
Speaking of which, dsmash is The Peach Killer. It'll kill peach at about 100%, and is alot easier IMO than getting an fsmash in. Fsmash just comes out too slow. Pivot dsmash and crouch cancel dsmash works kinda well (just watch out for her dsmash when crouch cancelling, CCing her dsmash is pretty much a stock wasted).

Over B is a great spacing tool. You should always space far enough away to avoid the crouch cancel dsmash, though. If you space it right the second stab of DED should clank with a peach dsmash, and then you can just dashdance and start again right away. Peach's aerial and running speed is poor enough that she has trouble getting through waves of DED, so you can play keep away and just rack up her damage...and her damage will usually end up being pretty high before you can finish her off. Just don't lose patience. And once again, if she ever gets past your DED range, run.

Dtilt is still awesome for spacing and combos, just be careful with it.

Pretty much the only throw of hers you have to watch out for is dthrow. Just DI to her back and it won't do much. And watch out for the fthrow at high percents, it'll kill without DI.

Upthrow makes a decent kill move at high percents. It'll kill at 165% on pkm stadium (which is where I counterpick peaches too. She lacks a decent vertical kill, so as long as you don't **** up the length of the stage should make it so you live untill good percents.)

Your dthrow wont' work too well with how floaty peach is. Unless you've grabbed her with your back to the ledge, I'd stick with fthrow. It doesn't actually combo, but you can get some hits in if you predict them. Running full jump nair will hit them if they double jump. The peaches i've played like to immediately float -> nair, so if you bait it you might be able to get an fsmash.

What would you guys say is the best DED chain to pull off? Or just name some of your favorite ones since I seem to be subpar at it.

I usually do 1st strike- neutral second - down third for CCers and I usually end it there.
Depends on the char/percent. For fast fallers its best to go over -> up for the second -> over. Over -> over -> up can spike, works well if they don't DI your downthrow. Over -> over -> over is best for higher percents...the up second will send them too high to combo. Over -> over -> over -> down can stab through shields if they block all of it.

Occasionally I'll throw out the fourth swipe over or high...its got good range and speed, can hit people on platforms/jumping out of shield, and has low enough lag that you won't get punished too bad as long as you're unpredictable with it.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I usually go side side side if they don't shield, side side side down if they're out of range and side side down down if they're shielded.

I really shouldn't be hitting shields though, anyway.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion

mom7

Smash Cadet
all i want to know is that is there anyway to use the down aire in a match to spike like marth's one. I already knows that you can do that but when can you use it like at what time does the spike work?

and when do you use fair rather than nair, like in what situation.

thanks for the advices in advance.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
The Dair is a meteor smash not a spike, and, like elvenarrow said, it sucks. to get it to meteor smash, you've got to hit the enemy with it while your back is facing them, or if they're directly under you (personally I do it backwards it's easier). you really shouldn't try this often as it is a weak and hard-to-hit spike. If you do it off the edge, you'll probably die because of lag. If I'm playing for fun, i'll occasionally do it SHFFLed over the edge back facing enemy and hope it goes slightly off to the left or right off the edge.

mom7

Smash Cadet
i am gonna ask some newb questions about roy and other things thats not because i am noob but i recently retry to play meele and i got some questions?

i think i saw someone talking on this forum of roy sweatspot for the recovery ,what does it mean?

and i would like to know why shelton didnt uair when he played against sideeffect in the second set on fd i think it was. Sideeffect played fox and well roy does really good on fd against fox and he had begin to do a grab game with him but he nerver uair in it can i know why, here is the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOx5U3P4C3Y
i know it was like a year ago but i wanna know the reason if i can get an explanation maybe it was the d.i., anyway you tell me.

i have some problems with my SHHFFLed arials, i cant cancelled them so i wanted to know how you did, i mean is it like automatic like if your hands were timed at the right time or each time you have to think about it. i dont if you can understand what i'm trying to say but if you can give me some tips on that i would really thank you for it.

And i also want to talk about my wavedash because before i played samus and it's so easy to wavedash with samus that you want to do it all the time but with roy i cant seem to be at the right time. any advice?

i would also like to know how you do this: you run than you smash and it doesnt seem to have a wavedash between them well how do you do it???

i would really appreciate if you answer all my questions even if they can be uselles to you that aint for me...lol...anyway i will post more question if i have more . so thanks for answering me...

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
SHFFLs just take practice. You can commit it to muscle memory of you can do it visually. Either works.

Roy's wavedash is slower than Samus'. Again, practice.

If you're dashing, you have to wavedash before you can fsmash/dsmash. If you're running, you can crouch cancel into them instead. Usmash can be done at any time with a jump cancel.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
i am gonna ask some newb questions about roy and other things thats not because i am noob but i recently retry to play meele and i got some questions?

i think i saw someone talking on this forum of roy sweatspot for the recovery ,what does it mean?

and i would like to know why shelton didnt uair when he played against sideeffect in the second set on fd i think it was. Sideeffect played fox and well roy does really good on fd against fox and he had begin to do a grab game with him but he nerver uair in it can i know why, here is the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOx5U3P4C3Y
i know it was like a year ago but i wanna know the reason if i can get an explanation maybe it was the d.i., anyway you tell me.

i have some problems with my SHHFFLed arials, i cant cancelled them so i wanted to know how you did, i mean is it like automatic like if your hands were timed at the right time or each time you have to think about it. i dont if you can understand what i'm trying to say but if you can give me some tips on that i would really thank you for it.

And i also want to talk about my wavedash because before i played samus and it's so easy to wavedash with samus that you want to do it all the time but with roy i cant seem to be at the right time. any advice?

i would also like to know how you do this: you run than you smash and it doesnt seem to have a wavedash between them well how do you do it???

i would really appreciate if you answer all my questions even if they can be uselles to you that aint for me...lol...anyway i will post more question if i have more . so thanks for answering me...
sweetspot recovery is making it so roy's up-B go straight to the edge. if you notice in that match sideEffect was edgehogging, so he didn't want to sweetspot. however, notice when he expeced the firefox and countered it, it would have been better had SideEffect sweetspotted. it's all about knowing when to do what.

Sethlon* (not shelton) didn't Uair for a couple of reasons. First, Fox falls fast, so it's hard to juggle Fox unless at a higher percentage. Second, it's easier to chaingrab fox then juggle him. third, popping him high enough for a Uair to start juggling is tough. Lastly, SideEffect may have been expecting it, and you need to do mindgames.

like elvenarrow said, it's all about practice. get the A move in as soon as you can because Roy's aerials (especially Nair) can take a while and he falls slow.

Roy's are even easier. just forget how you Wavedashed before. relearn it with Roy. it's slower then Samus's, but if done right goes even farther.

I don't exactly know what you're referring to. maybe what you think you saw was someone running and then immediately crouching (which cancels the run) and then smashing. or maybe running and the quickly turning the other way and pivoting a smash. Or you're talking about boost smashes, but those are only in Brawl.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
eh, the match was ok. The Roy didn't have a good recovery or edgeguarding/edgehogging game. the combo (with Nair to Fair to Dair) was kool but the ken combo in all sucks with Roy. He should have just Daired right after the Nair then he might of gotten back. The Dair is such a weak meteor smash even the computers cancel it. there's really no need to try to spike if Roy doesn't have a good one. I'd rather take my chances with the 4th up on the DED or the usmash spike then the Dair. and repeating it with carmeldansen is a strange way to emphasis the combo 0.o

PS: technically the Ken Combo is Fair-Fair-Dair. that was Nair-Fair-Dair.

mom7

Smash Cadet
PS: yeah you're right for the ken combo lol.

i got a tricky question, what is your top 5 best roy players? and why did you chose these ones?i wonder what people think about, Neo,Sethlon,Masashi,Exarch,Ninja...,Reed, and others. Who would you put first and why?

PS: If i didn't mention your name or a good roy player, dont be a b''i''t''c''h by freaking out.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
PS: yeah you're right for the ken combo lol.

i got a tricky question, what is your top 5 best roy players? and why did you chose these ones?i wonder what people think about, Neo,Sethlon,Masashi,Exarch,Ninja...,Reed, and others. Who would you put first and why?

PS: If i didn't mention your name or a good roy player, dont be a b''i''t''c''h by freaking out.
I am going to ****ing rip your eyeballs from their sockets for not mentioning me....... JK

1. NEO: well he is the one. lol
2. Seth: BA Roy who kicks over all ***
3. Masashi: he's good with roy what else do you want?
4. ???:Exarch??? I didn't even know about him until a couple months ago but I hear he's good.
5. Me: I've gone to a few tourneys recently and did fairly well one being up in the video thread, but my high point was 2 years ago at the carbondale tourney with Xif, iori, viperboy, spaceballs, PB&J, NES noob, chad, thinkaman, rob gambino, geno, dekuscrub, and some others. there was 46 or 56 I believe and I got 7th.

GA Peach

Smash Lord
I am going to ****ing rip your eyeballs from their sockets for not mentioning me....... JK

1. NEO: well he is the one. lol
2. Seth: BA Roy who kicks over all ***
3. Masashi: he's good with roy what else do you want?
4. ???:Exarch??? I didn't even know about him until a couple months ago but I hear he's good.
5. Me: I've gone to a few tourneys recently and did fairly well one being up in the video thread, but my high point was 2 years ago at the carbondale tourney with Xif, iori, viperboy, spaceballs, PB&J, NES noob, chad, thinkaman, rob gambino, geno, dekuscrub, and some others. there was 46 or 56 I believe and I got 7th.
hey, i was at that Carbondale tournament with XIF and gang. i got 7th or 9th, i forget, but i got to play Roy most of the time. I even used him in crews, lol. did you play in crews, ripple?

edit : i forgot i had a question for sethlon. i need a little bit of marth help. i'm doing ok, i guess, but my approach game is lacking a little against him, and i need to know a way to avoid tech chases. getting away from him can be hard

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
You mostly want to approach with wavedash -> dtilt. Poke at the corner of their shield with it, and they can't really punish you. Just watch out for fsmashes.
Dtilt -> nair works nicely on marth.

DED is an alright approach, just be ready to stop the combo and shield if the first hit is shielded. Don't use the second swipe up, it'll send marth too high to continue the combo.

If the marth starts shielding alot, shuffle uair crossover is a safe poke. Alot of marths will dair out of shield afterwards, but you have enough time to get ready for it (I've gotten counters in this way).

Grabs can put some hurt on marth if you do it right. At low percents, if they DI towards you to avoid the downthrow -> fsmash, you can fthrow -> regrab. If they DI away, you can dthrow -> regrab or fsmash.

On getting out of tech chases...if the marth knows what he is doing, there is very little you can do. If he is throwing you towards the ledge to tech chase, if you DI towards the ledge sometimes you'll edge cancel your land and immediately grab the ledge. Getting up from the ledge atleast gives you more options.

mom7

Smash Cadet
3. Masashi: he's good with roy what else do you want? posted by Ripple

Idont understand why Masashi and Aniki never wavedash. Can someone explain to me why.

mom7

Smash Cadet
yo i got another question, i would like to know what are the good stages for roy and why are they good for him. And the bad ones and why again. Iwould like to know also if there would be any good match ups and bad ones against him, just to know where i am at.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
3. Masashi: he's good with roy what else do you want? posted by Ripple

Idont understand why Masashi and Aniki never wavedash. Can someone explain to me why.
they don't feel the need? IDK they just feel more comfortable not doing it. when I play falco I don't wavedash

yo i got another question, i would like to know what are the good stages for roy and why are they good for him. And the bad ones and why again. I would like to know also if there would be any good match ups and bad ones against him, just to know where i am at.
don't play against peaches or samuses, they can be the hardest of them all.

IDK about stages though. I like them all, I love going to fd against falco

got another question, lol.

can you use the counter(DownB) against falco's shine and is it usuable???
use it against his lasers when he approaches very close with them, it can be deadly. I wouldn't recommend using it when he will shine since that comes out frame 1 and counter comers out frame 8.

however I find counter it be very abusable against falcon

edit: use the edit button instead of posting again

mom7

Smash Cadet
they don't feel the need? IDK they just feel more comfortable not doing it. when I play falco I don't wavedash

That's just because you don't hVE THE SKILL to wavedash with falco.

Can i have some tactics to help my game. Iwant to know new ways of appoching people.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
masashi is really good, he knows what he's doing ;)

for stages, I love FD. but Battlefield and maybe Dreamland would have many advantages too. just don't do battlefield against Marth (perfect tipper range).

Falco's lazers don't do that much damage, but any successful counter is worth it. Falco's shine is, like Ripple said, one frame so it's not good. even if you think he's about to shine, he may just grab and combo you. My favorite time to counter against Falco is his up-B (Firebird). against Falco make sure to chain grab first (linking to Utilts are good) and once he's high enough Dthrow-backthrow. interesting you guys play Falco too, he's now my secondary.

EDIT: some ways to approach are DED, Wavedashing while crouching, moving with intimidating SHFFLs, and crouching or ledgestalling to make them come to you. Also mixing in some triangle jumping is nice.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····

That's just because you don't hVE THE SKILL to wavedash with falco.

Can i have some tactics to help my game. Iwant to know new ways of appoching people.

oh how I'm going to prove you wrong.

approach with grabs but don't be obvious about it

mom7

Smash Cadet
can i know what the usmash can be use for and when to us it? i especially see people using the usmash on pokemon stadium, is there any use?Does the upsmash has any propiety that i should know? Is it preferable to use it on certain stage and why?

And at what percentage are you suppose to use the downsmash for immediate kills.

Top Bottom