• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official ask Roy Boards Thread (Roy Tactical Discussion.)

D

Deleted member

usually all I do out of shield is WD until I can find another hole. Roy's OOS options are fairly standard, and standard isn't dangerous enough to make the opponent consider the risk in attacking you.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
DED out of shield would knock you back to the ground if, you used it in the air, landed with an aerial, then jumped and did it again.

However if you land without doing an aerial or wavedash at any point between the two then you'll get lift again so, meh :\ probably not worth setting up.

(this is assuming it's like Marth's... I'll need to check to be sure lol)
Aye, its the same as marth. It seems like setting up a non-floaty overB would make a nice out of shield attack, especially for behind you. Using DED on the ground won't reset it back to floaty, so you can always dash dance -> overB poke while you've got the non-float set. And you can still crouch cancel your run, and poke with shffl'd aerials.
Fun stuff, but not really the kinda thing that can be abused.

usually all I do out of shield is WD until I can find another hole. Roy's OOS options are fairly standard, and standard isn't dangerous enough to make the opponent consider the risk in attacking you.
Agreed, roy's OOS options just aren't good enough to scare any of the top tiers. If I ever get in a sticky situation where I have to shield I usually just c-stick buffer a roll away. Occasionally I'll try to jump cancel a counter, but only if I have a feeling they'll go for the kill and they're at high percent.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
if ur fighting a marth that likes to sh shield breaker(evil grin emoticon)... but if they land in back of my shield, i try to dair oos to get face to face/bair depending on how far i m from the ledge.

AprilShaw

aka Logan
D-air OOS can be pretty ****, with anything-but-perfect DI (who would expect a D-air OOS from Roy?) it combos into F-smash at mid-high %s on floaties. That's not sweetspotted, either :p

TresChikon

Smash Lord
You sure?

I'd imagine that the sh*t hitstun from a sourspotted dair wouldn't be too effective.

I guess I'll just see for myself.

AprilShaw

aka Logan
If you tip it it won't do much at all. Gotta either sweetspot or hit it right in the middle, but hitting it in the middle isn't too hard. Just don't abuse it lol. It's helped me beat Jiggs a few times though

AprilShaw

aka Logan
Pretty (but not 100%) sure you have to be on the same elevation as them to hit the OHKO, which doesn't usually happen if you're stuck in your shield. Also messing up the reverse blazer = rest D:

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
the only reason to reverse upb is on missed naps. or rests that hit u, but u come back to life in time to get a free hit.
if by some grace of god u break a shield, flare blade all da way son.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
hell to the no. marth has a move NAMED shield breaker. his dtilt, jab, ect are stupendous at pressuring/breaking shields.

roy has ded f>f>d. it might be possible, but its not likely.

hey sethlon, have you ever broken a shield w/ roy?

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Jiggs actually has to be near roy's legs for the full effect for the reverse upB. Pretty close too. Theres nothing quite as disheartening as reverse upBing and just the tip hitting and nothing happening, hehe.
The only real time you can use it outside of them missing a rest is OOS instead of a grab, and really, if you're playing against a jiggs that gets shield grabbed, you probly won't need it.

I have never once in my 5 years of playing broken someone's shield. =/

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
I've broken at least one shield with Roy. But that's because I like shield pressure.

Also upb OOS against puff can happen if she pounds your shield (although most are careful about that now.) Idk I try it once or twice against puff typically... if there are platforms you can sometimes get away with it (like samus upb OOS).

Jabs, dtilts, DEDs, waiting, staying on top of rolls with more of the same... and finish with a fsmash at the right time. Hasn't happened in a long time though.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
Jabs, dtilts, DEDs, waiting, staying on top of rolls with more of the same... and finish with a fsmash at the right time. Hasn't happened in a long time though
ah, the classic roy.

look at falcon. when melee was young(VERY), falcon was known as a bad char. now he is a legit, no, very good char. they just didnt find his style till isai unlocked his potential.

roy has been standing still in the metagame forever. its time to evolve.we have to find a new style of play for roy

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
he really sucks at shield pressure.

the marth im trying to develope is one thats pressures the **** out of shields(im on the right path). although, i want to be patient and precise also.

back to roy.

for cross ups, u can nair over ppl. i think u can uair over them also.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
empty shothops to f-smash and grab are the best things roy has as "shield pressure"

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Ehh, I didn't play toooo amazing. Powershielding lasers is cool and all, but can't win matches on just that, haha. I messed up a couple up throw chain grabs last game that might have turned things around. Roy has to play pretty much perfect since falco outclasses roy in pretty much every everything. I mean, when I miss one L-cancel at 30% and then I'm dead...lol.
But Dojo is super good, I'm not really suprised he beat me.

Velox

Smash Ace
Yeah, he was pretty good, it's surprising to me cause I hear he lives in Texas? Which part, like he just sprung up out of nowhere as far as I'm concerned..

Yeah, but it was the most professional Roy-ing I've ever seen I guess heh..

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
He lives in San Angelo, waay the out in the middle of nowhere in west Texas. We actually played each other in bracket at Final Smash 2.

Velox

Smash Ace
heh, so Sethlon, u know I haven't played in a long time, like a year, so I've been watching a lot of videos lately and catching up (mainly watching that Mango dude who's pretty amazing) and I stumbled across all of your "recent" videos like against QDVS, Mango, etc. and now I can't get enough of those videos lol, of alllll the players I could be watching I'm watching your recent stuff. D*** dude, heh, I can't believe how good ur Roy is now, and how entertaining..

I was gunna make a thread titled "what a beast.." and listed all of the videos I could find of u that were good, and I've watched like 20 in a row now, but I didn't lol, didn't want to give too much publicity to a player who's like a cult classic :laugh:

Seris

Smash Journeyman
Last time I was playing, I was able to hit a uptilt with the sour spot right behind roys head and it seemed to hit the opponent at a downward angle similar to the tip of ganon's up air. I dont have a cube/wii to do any testing on so I was wondering if this is a confirmed angle for this move to hit at or was it terrible DI on my opponents part.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
if you hit someone with the very bottom of the front side of the utlit it does this i believe, but it really is a sucky option when you could have DED/ftilt/fsmashed them :D

Dark Lady

A Red Witch
So, like, I just found out that after the first hit of DED/DB, I can use the A button instead of the B one to continue the combo. Anyone use this for easier timings or anything? Or is this one of those semi-useless 'the more you know' sorta thing.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
It's pretty useless afaik. It probably actually makes the move worse because you can accidentally follow up DED1 with DED2 if you're try to DED1 to jab pressure.

Dark Lady

A Red Witch
Ah. Makes sense. Btw, testing some stuff out of Roy's kit today against another player made me realize just how bad a stage DL64 is for him. I cannot hit with any ground moves from under the plat at all shy of the telegraphed usmash. >: (

Yoshi's Story, on the other hand, I can actually even Flare Blade from under plat. A lot more options from there, methinks. Anybody have a better Roy stage than that one?

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
FoD is Roy's best stage imo. YS is good. But Roy is a bad character to where his stages are matchup dependent. Example: I will always take Marths to DL64 with Roy forever because if you can DI (and to a lesser extent not get tippered) you win.

Using DED with the A button is strictly superior because if someone "lolcancels" the first hit of your DED and interrupts it you don't end up doing random counters or upbs, but rather up and downtilts which are significantly less punishable. (Maybe you should use B with Up and A with Down?) You don't have to worry about jab pressure because you won't do another hit of DED if you don't hold your joystick in a direction AND mistime your input.

Dark Lady

A Red Witch
FoD is Roy's best stage imo. YS is good. But Roy is a bad character to where his stages are matchup dependent. Example: I will always take Marths to DL64 with Roy forever because if you can DI (and to a lesser extent not get tippered) you win.

Using DED with the A button is strictly superior because if someone "lolcancels" the first hit of your DED and interrupts it you don't end up doing random counters or upbs, but rather up and downtilts which are significantly less punishable. (Maybe you should use B with Up and A with Down?) You don't have to worry about jab pressure because you won't do another hit of DED if you don't hold your joystick in a direction AND mistime your input.
Lol, all this neat-o info when i quit Roy. XD

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Theoretically, DL64 is really good vs Marth because it takes away his ability to cover platform options while grounded while still giving Roy the ability to move around on them and mix up movement.
I really like PS to prevent players from camping the top platforms of the other stages.

Top Bottom