• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official ask Roy Boards Thread (Roy Tactical Discussion.)

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Roy isn't that hard to grab.
I meant more of the Roy player being able to control his character well enough to avoid getting grabbed.

When I was on point with Roy I went even with Kwan and Rockcrock.
Since not playing as often in general (and even moreso with Roy), Rockcrock who continues to play constantly has begun ripping me apart in that matchup.

To respond to other specifics, Roy can jump out of the uthrow uair after being hit by the first uair starting a 0. Otherwise the combo is pretty brutal. Roy can combo DK too though. And Roy kills DK better than Marth does.

I think it's a slight advantage to DK. But it's hard for me to say with as much variety in success I've had with the matchup.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Guys what are the best follow ups to a low% dtilt on fast fallers? (if you're not close to an edge, in that case fsmash is the best i think)
Also what are some basic grab-combos on different chars at different weights, fall speeds etc?

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Dtilt again or uair, I suppose, to try to work them outward. Fair or Double Edged Dance would work too.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
on heavy characters at low percentages, you can Fthrow>Grab again, and a lot of times Dthrow>Fsmash works. Uairs can of course chaingrab spacies, and you can stick Utilts in there too.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
I meant more of the Roy player being able to control his character well enough to avoid getting grabbed.

When I was on point with Roy I went even with Kwan and Rockcrock.
Since not playing as often in general (and even moreso with Roy), Rockcrock who continues to play constantly has begun ripping me apart in that matchup.

To respond to other specifics, Roy can jump out of the uthrow uair after being hit by the first uair starting a 0. Otherwise the combo is pretty brutal. Roy can combo DK too though. And Roy kills DK better than Marth does.

I think it's a slight advantage to DK. But it's hard for me to say with as much variety in success I've had with the matchup.
Who are Kwan and Rockcrock? And there are other combos that DK can do than just the u air out of the u throw. I promise you that if i grabbed you, you'd be taking at least around 50 damage, and that's NOT with using a giant punch either. And killing DK better than marth? I find that one hard to believe...Roy lacks KO moves and DK survives forever. DK's weight, plus fall speed, plus his awesome horizontal recovery, plus the fact that i'm really good at ledge teching has me surviving at over 200 damage against most people. Only exception to that is MAYBE fox since he kills vertically

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
why're you hitting on Roy so? he has Fsmash and DED, and they're both really affective. plus pretty much all Roy's moves (can) kill, just at higher percentages (such as 200 lololol), like Usmash, Dsmash (tipper), and Ftilt. But I get most kills by edgehogging. I find the Flare Blade, DED, counter, Fsmash, and edgehog (it's easy with a long wavedash) to be good enough :/. Roy kills most people at pretty low percentages (comparably in low tier, at least). besides, DK doesn't fall that slowly, and he has terrible verticle recover (and Roy can edgehog a sweetspotted one easily). Roy also has a good grab and combo game on DK because of his weight.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Fsmash doesn't do much unless sweetspotted, which can be hard against someone like DK who can space you out with his range. Double Edged Dance is effective, but it gives them a lot of time to DI.

exarch

doot doot doot
Guys what are the best follow ups to a low% dtilt on fast fallers? (if you're not close to an edge, in that case fsmash is the best i think)
Also what are some basic grab-combos on different chars at different weights, fall speeds etc?
On FD, I'd say Grab is the best followup. Otherwise, more dtilts or fsmash... basically what others said.

Who are Kwan and Rockcrock? And there are other combos that DK can do than just the u air out of the u throw. I promise you that if i grabbed you, you'd be taking at least around 50 damage, and that's NOT with using a giant punch either. And killing DK better than marth? I find that one hard to believe...Roy lacks KO moves and DK survives forever. DK's weight, plus fall speed, plus his awesome horizontal recovery, plus the fact that i'm really good at ledge teching has me surviving at over 200 damage against most people. Only exception to that is MAYBE fox since he kills vertically
Look them up, they're both quite good.
Yes there are, and you probably would, but I was stating it for general information. Hopefully you wouldn't be grabbing me that much.

If Roy hits the opponent with ANY (sweetspotted) smash at 150% they are going to die. (OK maybe not upsmash). DK can survive marth's middle of the blade smashes till ridiculous percents, but Roy's sweetspot is much larger. Against people with good DI and ledgeteching ability, I find Roy can kill faster, simply because he gets blast KO's quicker.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
On FD, I'd say Grab is the best followup. Otherwise, more dtilts or fsmash... basically what others said.

Look them up, they're both quite good.
Yes there are, and you probably would, but I was stating it for general information. Hopefully you wouldn't be grabbing me that much.

If Roy hits the opponent with ANY (sweetspotted) smash at 150% they are going to die. (OK maybe not upsmash). DK can survive marth's middle of the blade smashes till ridiculous percents, but Roy's sweetspot is much larger. Against people with good DI and ledgeteching ability, I find Roy can kill faster, simply because he gets blast KO's quicker.
Hmm...guess i'll just have to take your word for it since i don't know roy all that well. Getting hit with a f smash though by roy seems...unlikely. If the DK doesn't light shield, yeah, f smash would likely go through the shield and i can see the f smash landing that way, but i always light shield, and as long as i light shield and don't do anything stupid and keep my DI game right, i don't see myself getting hit with the f smash.. I gotta play roy more. I've only played Sethlon and we didn't play that many matches. I'll have to ask someone on the DK threads that knows the matchup a little better

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
when DK's off the stage, I like to do a standing flare blade a little back so when he comes I can get him with the slight downward hitboxes. then once he gives up and tries sweetspotting, as Sethlon mentioned, I'll just edgehog.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
mexican, when are you gonna need that roy experience?
lol like... it'd be nice... but there are "bigger fish to fry" imo.
(no offense to roy boards LMAO)

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
when DK's off the stage, I like to do a standing flare blade a little back so when he comes I can get him with the slight downward hitboxes. then once he gives up and tries sweetspotting, as Sethlon mentioned, I'll just edgehog.
DK has a pretty good...what's it called? magnet grab? DK can sit out far enough that unless your blade is pretty far out there, he can come in and grab the ledge last second and get the ledge without getting hit. DK's not nearly as easy to edgeguard as the way you're making it sound, especially not my DK. I dunno...I still have to say that i think that DK has a big advantage. And i don't feel it's a biased opinion because it usually makes me feel not as bad when i lose to people cuz their character usually has the advantage. This is one of the cases where i'm doing the opposite and i'm also trying to give Sethlon a little more credit

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
DK has a pretty good...what's it called? magnet grab? DK can sit out far enough that unless your blade is pretty far out there, he can come in and grab the ledge last second and get the ledge without getting hit. DK's not nearly as easy to edgeguard as the way you're making it sound, especially not my DK. I dunno...I still have to say that i think that DK has a big advantage. And i don't feel it's a biased opinion because it usually makes me feel not as bad when i lose to people cuz their character usually has the advantage. This is one of the cases where i'm doing the opposite and i'm also trying to give Sethlon a little more credit
true, but in all DK's up-B has a bit of startup lag and is pretty slow as a whole. the up-B also stops doing damage towards the end of it, making it easy to edgehog unless he's pretty close. Iunno, I won't argue DK having the advantage, but I'd say 60-40 or 70-30 at most, I just can't think of that many crucial details (there's a couple small things but in all he's just easy to combo) why DK would own Roy. granted, I can't say I've ever played that good of a DK player, but the ones I faced were too offensive and I just stayed back for a while and then charged.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
true, but in all DK's up-B has a bit of startup lag and is pretty slow as a whole. the up-B also stops doing damage towards the end of it, making it easy to edgehog unless he's pretty close. Iunno, I won't argue DK having the advantage, but I'd say 60-40 or 70-30 at most, I just can't think of that many crucial details (there's a couple small things but in all he's just easy to combo) why DK would own Roy. granted, I can't say I've ever played that good of a DK player, but the ones I faced were too offensive and I just stayed back for a while and then charged.
Yeah..i'm a very very defensive player. lol. When i played DSF's marth, the match took until 7:38 on pokemon stadium. I barely even won the match. He's very defensive too. lol

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
There's a description in the thread -_-

If the front box overlaps the ledge and the back box doesn't, you'll grab it, as long as you're in a state in which you can grab the ledge, unless you're a character who can grab with his/her back. No one knows what the big blue box is.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I was just messing around with a computer sheik. I hit him/her (whatever sheik is lol) off the edge, and started the flare blade. sheik grabbed the edge, and then did the roll (you know the thing you do by pressing R, what you use for edgeguarding?). anyway, I though during that you had invincibility frames, but then I unleashed the flare blade full blast just as sheik was beginning to roll, and it hit and killed him/her (my friend says it's a boy because zelda used a potion to get a gender-change, but I've heard otherwise). is there frames during the roll where the character becomes hitable? or did Roy's fully-charged flare blade somehow do the impossible?

don't underestimate teh fire :)

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I don't know Sheik's ledgeroll data nor is it anywhere as far as I can tell, but there's always frames of vulnerability from ledge stuff.

AND SHEIK IS A GIRL ASDFASDF

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
I don't understand why you didn't put my name in the Ask Stuff. I'm the best roy in DALLAS! - Legit Question.

Answer you two. Or I SWEAR. I can and have the power to have this thread DESTROYED.
I don't see a single question mark in that post.

Aside from the claim that you've yet to take without dispute, I think getting banned once each month would make it hard for you to respond to people in a timely manner that this thread would require.
lulz. it's even more funny now that he has the self-proclaimed title "Best Ike Alive". Either everybody who ever played Ike recently died, or he's making that bull up.

anyway, aside from the character matchup info on the first page, the info here is scattered. still, the matchup info could go well on the stickied Roy guide.

exarch

doot doot doot
Guys, I've been practicing THE SUPER HYPER GALACTIC POWER TIME HYPER BLAST!!! and I think I've got it down.

I wonder if, with enough focus, you could do it on reaction to some of Ganon's aerials. Watch for the start up.
Might be able to lure a Ganon into trying to shield poke dair, then JC shield->SHGPTHB. Ganon would cry.

I mean, it's got hyper TWICE in it's name, so it's gotta be good.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
Nah. THE ANNHILIATION HYPER VIPER COMBO!!! is much better. It even rhymes!

It's the perfect combo starter. In THE ANNHILIATION HYPER VIPER COMBO!!! (Dtilt twice) the first one pops the enemy in the air, and the next one is needless and allows you to be punished. Oh yeah, when I said it's the perfect combo starter, I meant a combo for your opponent. you won't be getting that lucky.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
i kinda wanna play the one eyed monk who eats nothing but leaves. bah the himalayas are soo far away.
il just clone one in my secluded underground jamacian labratory.

i dont think u can SHGPTHB OoS. if u could, TOs would ban it due to the manduluablamgata(did i spell that right?) malfunctining out of sheer awesomeness.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
i knew u can use cancel the jump animation with blahdablee blah, but it was a joke.

ok. now we r being productive[insert emoticon].
it seems like using counter OoS is a legit idea surprisingly.

(continuing thread purpose) can u cancel the jumping ani by using ded jabs? if so, do u think it will improve roys shield game?

.... rok the reaper was a genious! jk, but thats very ironic.

exarch

doot doot doot
The SHGPTHB has invulnerability frames, right? We can probly use it to escape shine pressure...
roflmao...ahahaha

IDK, maybe overb OOShield would be useful for his shield game. Might help when people are spacing outside of your grab ran...HANGONAMO'...
But maybe when they're behind you, no joke.

Who would have thought SHGPTHBOOS would be soo good. If I played more often I'd try to see if you could do it to Ganon on reaction. That's why I was kinda asking in here.

Testing DEDOOS...
Looks like it forces you to jump, but it still has that awesome hitbox. And it definitely is his best punisher for people trying to crossup. You can also get movement out of it backwards or forwards with the initial jump. I almost feel like we should drop this subject entirely because Marths would pick up it eventually and all we need is for crossing up on Marth to be unsafe. (Significant way to punish spacies dash attacks on shield? 0_o)

Anyways I'm done on the Roy boards for tonight.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
can we use the real lables?i dont like decoding vanilla turds.

and il experiment with COUNTERing and see where it goes...

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Oh wait, exarch was just talking about countering?? I thought he was just being silly and making stuff up, so i was playing along, rofl

Eh, I don't think ganon's worth their weight in salt will be predictable enough to just fair at your shield, but I'll mess with it if I get the chance.

AprilShaw

aka Logan
DED out of shield would knock you back to the ground if, you used it in the air, landed with an aerial, then jumped and did it again.

However if you land without doing an aerial or wavedash at any point between the two then you'll get lift again so, meh :\ probably not worth setting up.

(this is assuming it's like Marth's... I'll need to check to be sure lol)

Top Bottom