• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official ask Roy Boards Thread (Roy Tactical Discussion.)

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Yeah, just keep in mind that you can IASA the dtilt with anything 'cept for the shield, I think, so if you want to do something else, just do it. Shield you have to do something different for.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
If you look at the characters considered better than Roy and the characters considered worse than Roy, I think he's in a good spot.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I really doubt he's better than Pikachu or Young Link.

Pikachu has a very powerful usmash, a good projectile, a versatile set of aerials, a chainthrow, excellent movement speed, has an exceptional recovery, a strong combo game on fastfallers and a solid gimp move.

Young Link has solid combos on fastfallers and floaties, very useful projectiles, a decent recovery, good aerials and good movement speed.

Roy has a few things going for him, but I don't think he's got nearly enough to upset those two.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I honestly see y. link worse than roy. I think its harder to kill with him than roy which is saying something

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Pies are baked. Baking requires fire. Roy has teh phire. Roy wins.

IMO YLink and Pikachu are better characters than roy. Hes right where he should be on the tier list.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I disagree with the killing thing. Young Link has off the stage gimps and decent kill moves, they're just not very intuitive to combo into.

Zeonix

Smash Apprentice
I disagree with you disagreeing about the kill thing. Y-Link is pretty hard to combo with off the bat though...Now that I think about it, Roy is kinda where he should be on the tier list. But like Revised said. Roy is a counter to Sheik and Marth, who are really high tier characters...

G@BE

Smash Lord
Pies are baked. Baking requires fire. Roy has teh phire. Roy wins.

IMO YLink and Pikachu are better characters than roy. Hes right where he should be on the tier list.
Had to think pretty hard for that one didn't ya?

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Uh. I said that he's not easy to combo with. Obviously, otherwise he wouldn't be in low tier =P He's got more combo potential than Roy does, in my opinion, especially on floaties.

Revised, stop putting false ideas into peoples' heads.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
sethlon!!!!!!!!!! where you at!??!?!?!?!

why you!!!!!!! hahahah

you ruined my chacnes at bracket!!!!

jk good **** man

darkspatan117

Smash Journeyman
Roy is a beast at koing horizontally.I would like him to have a recovery at least :laugh:

Too bad Doc doesn't have one:(

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Sethlon 5$ MM roy ditto... tomorrow... at high noon next to the shoe shine stands.
sethlon $5MM at SMYM 9? lets see who's currently the best roy. btw I may go falco in teams if we lose the first game, I'm better in teams with falco. but who knows, double roy all the way does look pretty badass

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
I disagree with you disagreeing about the kill thing. Y-Link is pretty hard to combo with off the bat though...Now that I think about it, Roy is kinda where he should be on the tier list. But like Revised said. Roy is a counter to Sheik and Marth, who are really high tier characters...
yes, of course roy is a counter to sheik and marth. their tippers and 0 to death chaingrabs have nothing on him!

but seriously, Sethlon's Roy is a different character by himself, and Sethlon happens to counter Sheik and Marth easily.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
if you're referring to my location... instead of doing NJ, USA, i did NJ, fattest country in the world (which the USA is). probably time i changed that anyways...

btw i heard on "SuperSize Me" that it was like alabama

EDIT: another glitched page (16)

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
sethlon!!!!!!!!!! where you at!??!?!?!?!
Dude, that pool was a beast. You, Hella, Mango, and only two get out?? D:

Sethlon 5$ MM roy ditto... tomorrow... at high noon next to the shoe shine stands.
You're on, sir.

sethlon $5MM at SMYM 9? lets see who's currently the best roy. btw I may go falco in teams if we lose the first game, I'm better in teams with falco. but who knows, double roy all the way does look pretty badass
Dittos don't really show whos best as the character, just whos best at that matchup. I'm up for it though.
I might not end up going though, West Coast Smash League really drained my wallet...

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
...of course. just like how you, as a Jiggs mainer, know how spamming random down-B's are a reasonable strat.

EDIT: i'll test it more later, but I just was on corneria, and i realized that you can chainthrow backthrows against the wall on the right. it seemed to work until 40% against Marth, but then again you may be able to tech upwards out of it. a normal tech doesn't break the chain, though. mind you, it was against a computer :/

EDIT #2: I was wondering, is there any advantages on doing >B, double jump, up-B v.s. double jump, side B, up-b?

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Great Roy? Or GREATEST ROY OF ALL TIME?

LHC? Anyone?

Handsockpuppet, about the recovery thing. The side B in the air doesn't help unless you have some momentum behind you, so drift for a while, then use it. Outside of that, it doesn't really matter. I'd use only what's necessary to recover though.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
How do you beat DK sethlon? just so i know what not to do against you. Haha, DK's supposed to be a Roy counter and i was only barely beating you. Either you're just that good or it's not as bad as a fight as i thought or you somewhat know how to fight DK.. (cuz i don't know how to fight roy although i don't think there's much to it)

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
My guess is that Seth is just that good, but I wouldn't say DK is that much of a Roy counter. I do a lot of grabs and stay back on the edgeguarding. I also use a lot of Dtilts/CC and DED, but then again that's pretty standard.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Roy being hard to grab makes the Roy vs DK matchup even, in my experience anyways.
Roy isn't that hard to grab..And DK can combo Roy fairly well, and even if he can't grab roy, DK's ability to live passed 200 percent and Roy's lack of KO moves, I think that DK definitely has the advantage. DK vs Marth is almost even and I'm sure as Roy users, you guys hate Roy and marth being compared, but if DK can put up a fight with Marth, he's not going to have problems with Roy. Between the giant punch, b airs, and u air combos, I think it's an uphill battle for Roy

*edit*- I played a good chunk of matches against Sethlon at WCSL, and i'd say roy will tear up DK in a ground game, but i don't think he stands a chance in the air. As long as the DK spaces his b airs and stays smart, Roy will have a very tough time racking up damage on him and getting the KO

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Mouf and Jesusfreak used to play some DK, so I have some experience against him. Hes a pretty hard matchup...more range, lives longer, and can kill Roy in one grab if he has a punch charged.

Dtilt pokes to keep away from the grabs is usually the way I go, but DK's dtilt/bair/punch all tear through it. DED for shield pressure works, but I'm pretty sure DK can crouch cancel -> dtilt to shut that down.
Fthrow tech chasing is nice, but that requires getting in close enough to grab.
Dtilt/flareblade edgeguard a couple of times to condition the DK into sweetspotting, and then go for the wavedash edgehog to kill at decent percents.

Top Bottom