• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 2010-2011 Super Smash Bros. Melee MBR Tier List

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
rombo is such a weird name wtf

and how can u demonstrate a full understanding of character rankings if u ignore tournament placings?

jiggs wins like all the nat'l tournaments BUTT she shouldnt be top?

marth/sheik havent won **** in ages, yet they should be higher?
and if they do win, who is using them? m2k...the guy who contends passionately that they are not as viable as ppl claim they "could" be without any hard evidence.

imo the people who have spent the most time both in competitive smash and with the numbers/data to back up their claims have demonstrated a more complete "understanding" of "everything"

ROMBO69

Smash Cadet
Because its easier to play liek his dumb *** and just bair

then have to go a spacie and work

10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times harder then him just to get the same result as my puff
its **** stupid

rhan

Smash Hero
If they had a "understanding" of "everything" then why is Jiggs be top 3? She's not "broken" or "godlike". *****es don't know how to play against her, choke up, and get ***** by simple ****.

Tourney results shouldn't FULLY be what a tier list is put together after. Match-ups should.

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
Because its easier to play liek his dumb *** and just bair

then have to go a spacie and work

10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times harder then him just to get the same result as my puff
its **** stupid
doesn't that mean puff is better if u need to work 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times harder to get the same result? just wondering

cablepuff

Smash Ace
some sheiks (namely two) should come out of retirement...and show people the basics... on how to beat jigglypuff.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
i mean, character matchups are huge in constructing tier lists

ive seen some really good arguments for tier lists similar to this one based on matchups alone

kk has made good arguments in that respect. dj rome has also constructed some good matchup-purist tier lists that are similar to this one

solecalibur

Smash Master
This looks more like how often am I going to see character X in tounry list not a tier list lol
Jiggs is by far not 3rd just because top players are jigs gives no right to boost her

Dwoobie

Smash Cadet
its like christmas to see this list finally come together. been checking like everyday since august. i dig it and cant wait to see how things change. nice job backroom.

i main ganon and my friend mains samus so them being tied will make our matches all the more exciting.

****, I want some fried chicken.
hopefully popeyes doesnt run out of chicken

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
i just realized how a lot of lower tier mains' causa operandi is to "prove their character to the world" and "moe their char up in the tier list".......

then it happens

and all hell breaks loose

imo, what has happened is natural and if u wanna change it, go out and prove it

lawd where is drpp when i need him

rhan

Smash Hero
Ganon is better then Samus in that matchup. And Ganon has better matchups by like a few of the other mid tiers..

Pi

Smash Hero
doesn't that mean puff is better if u need to work 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times harder to get the same result? just wondering
don't need the 'just wondering' part
that's exactly what he just implied

and i thought he actually had valid reasons for his trolling
my b

and yea
ganon hurts samus
her playstyle, her projectiles, her dignity

ROMBO69

Smash Cadet
puff could only argue to be better because shes **** 10 times easier to play then spacies ******

I could play puff on hangovers .. cant play spacies on those days

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
Ganon is better then Samus in that matchup. And Ganon has better matchups by like a few of the other mid tiers..
from what i can see, ganon=samus

or are u saying ganon should be better?

i guess ganon could have better matchups vs the top tiers than samus by a small margin, but

hugs' tourney placings vs those very same characters makes an excellent case for samus' viability

which is why 1) tournament placings matter and 2) i support ganon=samus, for the reasons that hbox provided

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
puff could only argue to be better because shes **** 10 times easier to play then spacies ******

I could play puff on hangovers .. cant play spacies on those days
didnt u say in an earlier post that u would put marth/sheik above the spacies cuz they are easier to play more consistently with? shouldnt that also apply to puff?

edit:

This list could not be so much more wrong.. If were talking about a perfectly played fox then yeah he is the best .. BUT WHO THE **** plays perfect fox besides pc at oc2 ( and he still wasnt "perfect").. U guys gotta be realistic HERE...

And falco good but hes so bad at the same time . but whatever... AND PUFF IS NOT even in the top 3 for best characters you guys are some dumb *** fuking ****ers if u believe that.. shes so bad.. just cause everyone fuking sucks huge **** against hbox means nothing( and m2k/armada johning like **** babys ) .. Hbox = bad .. Puff = alright.. If u learn the matchup against puff (hbox ) ****s so **** easy.. hes a **** idiot and does the same **** over and over.. i dont understand why you guys have not caught out ...

I believe marth, sheik , fox, falco, puff, peach/falcon.. just because marth and sheik can be played more consistently then a spacie ( im excluding myself because my spacies **** 95 percent of the time )

Just cause theres lack of marths/sheiks doesnt mean their still not **** ****..

**** YOU GUYS DONT KNOW ****!

-Mangoooooooo

ROMBO69

Smash Cadet
I did say that .. but marth and sheik arent no where near as easy to **** as puff is if everyone knew what they were doing like they do vs marth/sheik.. it would be the exact same thing

but no one knows **** about puff cept me

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
But the more into high level play that you go, the more things like edge guarding, comboing, and gimping become a factor, and against Puff you cannot do that nearly as much as the other characters. You beating Hbox is just because you're the best Melee player, while I will agree that many top pros don't know the MU as well as they could, I still think Puff is better than Marth Sheik and more or less Space animals too (if you plank she is the best no question though)

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
I did say that .. but marth and sheik arent no where near as easy to **** as puff is if everyone knew what they were doing like they do vs marth/sheik.. it would be the exact same thing

but no one knows **** about puff cept me
i mean, id love to agree with u

i reeaallyy would, for a plethora of reasons: i like mango, i dont like puff, i adore the aesthetic appeal of m2k u smashing hbox at 65 on PS ftw, etc

but there is, like, NO way for u to prove that to all the people who insist on losing to puff in tournament

so, obviously, our only option is to concede to the superiority of Mango

a Puff main ;)

rhan

Smash Hero
from what i can see, ganon=samus

or are u saying ganon should be better?

i guess ganon could have better matchups vs the top tiers than samus by a small margin, but

hugs' tourney placings vs those very same characters makes an excellent case for samus' viability

which is why 1) tournament placings matter and 2) i support ganon=samus, for the reasons that hbox provided
Tourney placement matters 15% out of the 100. The rest should be left to each characters match-ups against the cast.

Matchups are what should make a tier list.

Ganon is better in matchups then Samus is. Against her and against a few other mid tiers.

Hugs is only ONE PERSON. Just because ONE PERSON can do it doesn't necessarily mean it's the character. Samus is good in her match-ups but Ganon man handles the match-ups.

I swear if I see anyone referrers to one player doing good with the character again, I'll lose all hope in this already semi hopeless community. >_>

ROMBO69

Smash Cadet
all people = suck nuts against puff

mango = ***** puff.. hbox is easily one of the people i have the least problems with just because he plays puff and because hes an idiot .. Id rather play hbox then m2k armada pp shiz jman etcc

because he sucks.. and because puff sucks

rhan

Smash Hero

mango = ***** puff.. hbox is easily one of the people i have the least problems with just because he plays puff and because hes an idiot .. Id rather play hbox then m2k armada pp shiz jman etcc

I don't have the strength to get rid of my Halo/Starcraft sig...

Someone do me a favor and sig this for me.

ROMBO69

Smash Cadet
But the more into high level play that you go, the more things like edge guarding, comboing, and gimping become a factor, and against Puff you cannot do that nearly as much as the other characters. You beating Hbox is just because you're the best Melee player, while I will agree that many top pros don't know the MU as well as they could, I still think Puff is better than Marth Sheik and more or less Space animals too (if you plank she is the best no question though)
But u no what doesnt get taken away when u play puff???

your smarts and your ability to hit her.. you only have to hit her like 10 times..

and yeah if she lives to 150 thats alright... there is gonna be stocks where u kill her at 70

JUST BECAUSE IT TAKES AWAY ALL OF UR Great things comboing gimping is all you and armada.. u guys both rely on combos and edgeguarding

WHILE mango just relys on out smarting people and has all that other great stuff to

get with the times dawg.. in about a year combos will be non existent due to everyone having amazing DI.. and only falco will have combos LOL

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Finally! You guys realized that DK sucked!
Now to win low tier tourneys again

Mango's posts in here have been beyond legitimate IMO. at least someone can still analyze this game competitively without playing Super Theory Bros

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
Executive summary: Top half or third of the tier list is as almost correct as it is any year. The rest is, as usual, pretty much a hat toss of whose bad assumptions you accepted.

Details:

"Gengar" is a worthless & irrelevant, completely

Ness is horribly misplaced in the lowest tier.

Samus and Doc being in the same tier as Ganon and Icies = laughable

Generally speaking for this thread, the only improvement is the ridiculously-past-due moving up of Jigglypuff

Sheik should be switched with falco, and doc should be added to the ganon/samus category. Other than these two significant mistakes, it looks pretty good. Although the kirbykaze bias is ridiculously apparent.
Also, support everything in this post.

What linguini said.
Troll.

Ness/Kirby (worst 2 by FAR)
If you think Ness is worse than all of Bowser, Mewtwo, Yoshi, and maybe Roy, you're so beyond wrong it's insane. Pichu, G&W, and the rest of the baddies can best Ness, but not to say Ness is with Kirby in the worst by far, is just irrational.

The rest of your list was a bit more acceptable to me than the MBR one.

Mario >> all
Most misguided, but best, post ITT.

Subscribed so i can watch people enjoy/***** about our new list
Enjoi.

DAftFlip

Smash Journeyman

The only reason I'm going to agree with Mango on this is simply because:

1) When is the last time Fox won anything?

2) Weren't there TWO TOP MARTHS? Ken and M2K. They require less work for the same results as Falco/Fox blah blah blah

3) Before Mango who would've thought that puff would be on top? It's just three puffs.
And two are around because of Mango.

4) When did anyone, before Armada, think that peach was top three material in tournament?
HMW was right. If there are more peaces today it's because of Armada.

Sooo I think the point is that Mango made the character and not the other way around.
Mike G and others laid down the ground work for Peach but NO ONE at the time thought she was where she is on todays tier list. Armada did that! It comes down to the player. The only reason people see sooo much success with Falco (I'm a Falco main) and Fox is that they are prolific characters in the community. Of course, if there are enough spacies one of them or even a bunch are going to place very very well even taking first.

IT COMES DOWN TO THE PLAYER MOSTLY (And that includes bringing out the characters potnential, even if it means: potential in the current Meta)!!! Then Match Ups.

(And just to make one final point: I think DRPP has the right idea about the Puff MU IMO)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom