• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest [Oct 3, 2015] ESI | All Mid Invitational (Cincinnati, Ohio)

Esports Initiative

Smash Journeyman
REGISTRATION IS OPEN http://allmid.gg/Join

$1,000 Pot Bonus for Project M!

All Mid Invitational
A National Smash 4, Melee, and Project M Tournament
October 3rd-4th, 2015
Cincinnati, OH

Introduction

E-Sports Initiative,The TO's behind the Shuffle Series (most recent had 400 entrants for Melee, PM, and Smash 4) , is coordinating with All Mid as well as many other gaming organizations in the Midwest to give you the best multi-platform gaming event you have ever attended. There will be a Midwest Regional League of Legends Tournament with all the top schools in attendance, as well a general gaming areas for free-play. Bring your own computer if you would like, there is plenty of room, and we will be gaming all night long (after pools are done of course).

• Past attendees include - Mew2King, HungryBox, Nintendude, Denti, Strong Bad, and many more!
  • Our Venue is top notch and you can stay there all night!
  • Our TO Staff has been making improvements since Shuffle VII and this event will run cleaner than ever.

ESI Event History

Shuffle V (300 Entrants)

Melee:

Project M:
Shuffle VI (180 entrants)
Melee:
Shuffle VI Melee Single
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
S0ft
$270.00
2nd
Drephen
$108.00
3rd
Fizzle
$75.60
4th
Prince Abu
$48.60
5th
Jiano
$18.90
5th
Hanky Panky
$18.90
7th
Voorhese
7th
Tm
9th
Goodin
9th
Reeve

Project M:
Shuffle VI PM Singles
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
Fizzle
$264.00
2nd
Hanky Panky
$132.00
3rd
ESI.gg Prince Abu
$44.00
4th
Lain
5th
SS Soft
5th
Village Mascot
7th
Meekspeedy
7th
LOE1
9th
Carls493
9th
Fumbles
Shuffle VII (380 entrants)

Smash 4 Singles

Shuffle VII Smash 4 singles seeds
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
Boreal Ally
2nd
Pulse | Zinoto
3rd
COG MVG Mew2King
4th
LOE1
5th
Katakiri
5th
Mister Eric
7th
Nom
7th
SETHsational
9th
Absol
9th
Smasher1001
9th
Ksev
9th
SH | juice.Max Ketchum
13th
DtJ XeroXen
13th
Carls493
13th
KERO
13th
Kipdog
17th
Hyper Crasher
17th
IThrowThings
17th
M@V
17th
Fumbles
17th
Karaoke Man
17th
ZTD | Technology
17th
AceStarThe3rd
17th
Fizzle
25th
Muhawk
25th
Delta Fist
25th
Xane
25th
Amida
25th
H-Man
25th
Pitzer
25th
quinfordmac
25th
Links24
33rd
<blank0.>
33rd
Avion
33rd
Potatoharbinger
33rd
Sombra
33rd
Gallagher
33rd
Aura
33rd
King Chaos
33rd
Sofa King
33rd
Thexy
33rd
Karinole
33rd
1der
33rd
Pulse | Ori
33rd
exJORDANary
33rd
Raichu4U
33rd
MR. L
33rd
KassandraNova
49th
Jarvitz
49th
Marquis
49th
Perkinips
49th
The Oiler
49th
cosmic
49th
Burger
49th
Tipir
49th
Pennywise
49th
Zareidriel
49th
Jeff Fuel
49th
Toast
49th
Solecalibur
49th
Cilvanis
49th
BlitzkriegDeity
49th
norz40k
49th
Lv. 10

E-Sports Initiative (formerly OSI) is a student organization that partners with companies in the digital media and e-sports industries. We equip entry-level talent with the skills, insight, and experiences that will help them launch their careers in the rapidly-maturing interactive media and video game development space, while connecting companies in the industry to this talent pool. As of fall 2013, E-Sports Initiative is focused on addressing the specific subset of STEM education that relates to the video game industry- computer science and engineering, data analytics, mathematics, and technical design and graphics. We aim to provide certification programs, unique insight into the industry, and networking and leadership development opportunities to future employees in the industry on a national scale through our network.

- Pot Bonus Information -
Breakdown:
Project M Singles - $1,000 (evenly spread between top payouts)

- Venue -

2700 Bearcats Way, Cincinnati, Ohio 45221
Capacity: 13,176

Amazing Venue that we have the opportunity of using for this special event. This Venue includes:

• Over 30,000 Feet with an almost unlimited capacity
  • 24/7 Access to the Venue
  • On the first floor so no carrying CRT's up stairways!

Travel:

PARKING:
  • Parking is available for $10 a day right next to the venue (Varsity Village Garage), we are working on getting a lower price.
Housing:

Hotel Pricing: TBA

If you cannot afford lodging or just want to save some cash there are plenty of side hallways and rooms for you to sleep in but please make sure you bring a sleeping bag. Showers will also be available as well as bag check.
Food:
Many food options available a few blocks away from the venue. This includes:

Jimmy John's, Panera Bread, Chipotle, and many more.

- Money -
Preregistration Only!

Singles $10 per event
Doubles $10 per event

100% Payout per event

Venue Fee is $20
We are offering a $5 refund at the door if you bring a complete setup for Smash 4/ Melee/ or PM.

Singles & Doubles Payouts
100% per event payout
Breakdown will be added later

- Registration -
In order for us to run an effective tournament there will be no registration at the door.

Lain's Stupid Rule will be in effect for this event (limit of 4 games), you are allowed to have separate doubles partners for each game.

Online Pre-registration/pre-payment is a requirement for all of those who will be attending, NO EXCEPTIONS.

In order for us to run an effective tournament there will be no registration at the door.

Registrations are not refundable. Unfortunately due to the scale of this event and it's place as a Midwest "Con" it is not feasible to give out refunds.
Registration Form: http://allmid.gg/

- Schedule -
Available here: http://go.osu.edu/AllMidSchedule
(Will change depending on entrants, also not finalized. Changing start times)

Lain's Stupid Rule will be in effect for this event (limit of 4 games), you are allowed to have separate doubles partners for each game.

List of Events (6 total)

Melee Singles
Melee Doubles
Smash 4 Singles
Smash 4 Doubles
Project M Singles
Project M Doubles

- Rules -

4 Stock, 8:00 Minute Timer
All Items Set to OFF, Item Frequency set to NONE
Input Assist set to OFF
Ties after time limit is reached are determined by stocks, then percentage
You cannot counter-pick any stage you have won on unless it's agreed upon by the opponent.
The TO Staff reserves the right to change rule sets prior to the event.

Stage Striking
1. First player strikes one stage.
2. Second player strikes two stages.
3. First player strikes one stage.

Starter
Battlefield
Dreamland
Green Hill Zone
Pokémon Stadium 2
Smashville

Counterpick
Final Destination
Warioware
Yoshi's Island Brawl
Yoshi's Story (Singles Only)
Fountain of Dreams
Delphino's Secret (Doubles Only)

After each match:
1. Winner announces two (2) stage bans
2. Loser chooses counterpick stage
3. Winner chooses their character
4. Loser chooses their character

Stocks: 4
Time Limit: 8 Minutes
Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
Wobbling is legal. Wobbling beyond 300% will result in forfeit of the current match.
Dave's Stupid rule: You cannot counter pick any stage you have won in a set unless agreed upon by the opponent.

Stage List:
Yoshi's Story
Fountain of Dreams (singles only)
Battlefield
Final Destination
Dream Land
Pokemon Stadium (doubles only)

Counterpicks:
Pokemon Stadium
Kongo Jungle 64 (doubles only)

Striking will be done in a 1-2--2-1 fashion

After each match:
1. Winner announces stage ban (except in best-of-5 sets)
* 3 stock, 8:00 minute timer.
* Items OFF.
* Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
* Custom Moves are not allowed.
* Mii Fighters are allowed (1-1-1-1)
* Custom Equipment is banned.
* You cannot counterpick any stage you won on in the set unless agreed upon by the opponent.
* Best out of 5 sets will only have one ban
* All finals sets are best out of 5
* All controllers are allowed so long as they do not disrupt gameplay in your sets or anyone elses. If you are caught tampering with another person's match or your own you will be swiftly disqualified. Always desync.

Stage Strike from Neutrals for the first match of the set in “1-2-1″ fashion:
1. First player strikes two stages.
2. Second player strikes three stages.
3. First player strikes one stage.

Stage list: 2 Bans
Starters:

Battlefield/MiiVerse
-Town and City
-Smashville
-Dreamland
-Final Destination (Including all Omega)

Counterpicks:

-Duck Hunt
-Lylat Cruise
-Delfino Plaza
-Halberd
-Castle Siege

After each match:
1. Winner announces stage ban
These rules are subject to change leading up to the event date. The Tournament Operators ( Dylan Fraley, Mark Ebert, Derek Spinell, and Brett Hutton) reserve the right to remove you from the venue at their discretion for any reason. Note: ESI and its members,UCLoL and its affiliates, and any persons helping run the event may not be held liable for any lost, stolen, or damaged goods during this event, nor will they be held liable or responsible for any injury or harm that may befall a person during the course of this event. By entering the venue during the posted date you are displaying your agreement with this policy. Side Note Many people require housing for this event, since it is two days. If you are able to help any of the following people or groups with housing, definitely contact them and let them know!

Last edited:

Kel

Smash Master
Was really excited until I saw customs were off. Please consider switching as the Cincinnati local area (including Louisville and Lexington) all use customs.

I am very happy with 3 stock though.

What is the venue price? I cannot imagine getting this venue was cheap.

Esports Initiative

Smash Journeyman
Was really excited until I saw customs were off. Please consider switching as the Cincinnati local area (including Louisville and Lexington) all use customs.

Sorry about that, it's $25, $5 back at the door if you bring a setup. We will consider it. Not all rules are final.

Rizner

Smash Ace
What does the word invitational imply from the title? How do we get invited, or what events are invite-only?

Oh, also is the date final I assume? I can't make it this weekend, but wondering if that's something up-in-the-air which I should keep an eye on.

Last edited:

Esports Initiative

Smash Journeyman
What does the word invitational imply from the title? How do we get invited, or what events are invite-only?

Oh, also is the date final I assume? I can't make it this weekend, but wondering if that's something up-in-the-air which I should keep an eye on.
The date is final, there is a league invitational which is the "main" event. It is not invite only.

EMPEROR Eevee

Smash Cadet

What area in Cincinnati are you in that uses Customs lol? If memory serves me correctly, Class is Back was the last Cincinnati tournament that had Customs Legal. Not only did that leave a bad taste in some players mouths, I know of players who didn't even attend the tournament because Customs were Legal. @ Esports Initiative Esports Initiative I highly recommend keeping this tournament the way it is. I can get plenty of people to back me up when I say, we DO NOT want this tournament to be Customs Legal.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I won't be making it to big house, so I'll be trying to be here for this.

There is no reason to ban Mii Fighters, even if customs are banned. It's generally accepted to be able to use a 1111 Guest Mii, as is as standardized as any other character.

$5 back out of a $25 venue fee is hardly an incentive to bring a setup. I know a lot of players bring them because it obviously helps the tournament run faster, but you're going to lose out on most that look at their bulky CRT and start to wonder if it's worth it. I can understand that the venue is most likely expensive as hell, but at least consider a $10 reduction.

Esports Initiative

Smash Journeyman
I won't be making it to big house, so I'll be trying to be here for this.

There is no reason to ban Mii Fighters, even if customs are banned. It's generally accepted to be able to use a 1111 Guest Mii, as is as standardized as any other character.

$5 back out of a $25 venue fee is hardly an incentive to bring a setup. I know a lot of players bring them because it obviously helps the tournament run faster, but you're going to lose out on most that look at their bulky CRT and start to wonder if it's worth it. I can understand that the venue is most likely expensive as hell, but at least consider a $10 reduction.
The venue fee is already quite cheap considering the scale of this event. I have done $5 reductions for all of my events and have never had a problem with setups. On top of that we will be providing a decent amount of our own setups for this event as well.

Kel

Smash Master
What area in Cincinnati are you in that uses Customs lol? If memory serves me correctly, Class is Back was the last Cincinnati tournament that had Customs Legal. Not only did that leave a bad taste in some players mouths, I know of players who didn't even attend the tournament because Customs were Legal. @ Esports Initiative Esports Initiative I highly recommend keeping this tournament the way it is. I can get plenty of people to back me up when I say, we DO NOT want this tournament to be Customs Legal.
Class is Back is the last tournament that was actually held in Cincinnati. All of the Cincinnati players that I play with prefer customs (except maybe Mr. Eric). Class is Back, Hilt's tournaments, and FC all had over 80 entrants so if there are players that are dodging customs tournaments they seem to be few.

The only people I heard complaining about customs at Class is Back is the Chicago group. I think Daycia also complained but that's all I've heard.

Esports Initiative, if you would like to discuss customs being on/ off on Skype or something please let me know and I'll be happy to participate. It's a fairly important aspect of Smash 4 rules and it's super important for the healthy future of the game. Over 1900 people are entering EVO with customs on, so I believe that puts to bed the idea of people dodging customs rule sets. Nevertheless, I think it would be good to discuss with your TOs the benefits/ difficulties of running customs in tournament.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
add customs and maybe

$25 venue fee is steep, but venue looks legit so it makes sense

same weekend as big house is crazy, but I dunno any smash 4 that is actually going to big house so moot point

weird seeing PM at a tournament, but good for PM players

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Miis should be legal, but customs I'd rather have off. I'm pretty sure most of the community is going against customs after EVO. I might come to this, would be nice to go to a Midwest Regional.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
The venue fee is already quite cheap considering the scale of this event. I have done $5 reductions for all of my events and have never had a problem with setups. On top of that we will be providing a decent amount of our own setups for this event as well.
Sounds good to me, I'll take your word for it!

I don't particularly care if you have customs legal or not, but don't ban Miis.

I am up for discussing customs as well. I just had a Customs Legal tournament that had 99 entrants and have been entering legal and banned tournaments since Smash 4's release. I will probably be here whether you ban them or not, as will anyone from KY that isn't going to Big House that is up for it.

Last edited:

EMPEROR Eevee

Smash Cadet
Class is Back is the last tournament that was actually held in Cincinnati. All of the Cincinnati players that I play with prefer customs.
What Cincinnati players? The Cincinnati/Dayton players that come to the locals that we host at Arcade Legacy every Thursday all agree that we dislike Customs, hence our Thursday tournaments being Customs banned.

Last edited:

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
I won't support an event that has mii fighters banned. There are default 1111 or 1111/2222/3333 (which should be used tbh) mii's you can make. Do that. It's not complex. Removing three characters from the game is simply bad to'ing.

KY, OH, and IN are completely mixed on customs. Assuming we as a whole roll one way or the other is simply incorrect, and most of us will go to the tournament either way. I think there may be slightly more against them at this point, though (however, a big group of them are also people that refuse to play with customs in tournaments, meaning they're people that are stubborn and/or can't/won't adapt to customs).

Edit: FWIW I think the safest option is to wait until mid August to finalize the rule on customs so you can see how people feel after EVO. A lot of people have the "customs are going to be dead after EVO anyways!" mentality, but once people realize that the only custom specific things going far in tournament are small brawler (Dapuffster/Nick Riddle), hyper skull bash Pikachu (ESAM) and windy kong (DK Will), that may change.

We have a huge group for and against customs in the area, and both groups should have their sides considered, but customs are in a very weird spot right now with EVO. It's better just to wait a month honestly.

Last edited:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
What Cincinnati players? The Cincinnati/Dayton players that come to the locals that we host at Arcade Legacy every Thursday all agree that we dislike Customs, hence our Thursday tournaments being Customs banned.
You mean the group that goes to Arcade Legacy and nowhere else? :p

EMPEROR Eevee

Smash Cadet
You mean the group that goes to Arcade Legacy and nowhere else? :p
Dukel, Day, Sai, Me, Fromundaman, Ginja, SkiBoots, Mister Eric, Fumbles, Karinole(?) and Absol have gone to Regionals/Nationals in and out of Ohio. We are all against Customs, yet compete in Customs legal tournaments if that's all that is available to us. Dismantle, Various E2C tournaments, and FC are tournaments that people in my scene have gone to and even more, so you can't say that we have player's that "Go to Arcade Legacy and Nowhere else". As a matter of fact, a little birdy told me that the only reason you don't show up to our gatherings on Thursday is because it isn't Customs legal. Even without your participation in our tournament, we have amazing turnouts, ranging from 15-20 people on average.

EDIT: Customs are not the future and people need to stop using them as a crutch because "My character is unviable without customs". I'm not even afraid to say that the reason I did so well at (insert customs tournaments I have enter here) is because of Custom Kirby.

Last edited:

Esports Initiative

Smash Journeyman
Okay guys, let me start by saying the rulesets are not finalized. Especially for Project M and Smash 4. Still deciding on a stagelist for Project M, and Mii Fighters will most likely be unbanned. I'm very well informed from my fellow TO's about customs but if you guys would like to send me a private message with your skype info I will gladly take the time to hear your arguments for or against. Thank you all for the support.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Dukel, Day, Sai, Me, Fromundaman, Ginja, SkiBoots, Mister Eric, Fumbles, Karinole(?) and Absol have gone to Regionals/Nationals in and out of Ohio. We are all against Customs, yet compete in Customs legal tournaments if that's all that is available to us. Dismantle, Various E2C tournaments, and FC are tournaments that people in my scene have gone to and even more, so you can't say that we have player's that "Go to Arcade Legacy and Nowhere else". As a matter of fact, a little birdy told me that the only reason you don't show up to our gatherings on Thursday is because it isn't Customs legal. Even without your participation in our tournament, we have amazing turnouts, ranging from 15-20 people on average.
I don't go on Thursdays because I visit my grandmother every thursday since my grandfather passed away, have been doing so since before AL was a thing.

EDIT: Customs are not the future and people need to stop using them as a crutch because "My character is unviable without customs". I'm not even afraid to say that the reason I did so well at (insert customs tournaments I have enter here) is because of Custom Kirby.
I play Roy at the moment, so no customs for me -- I made it to bracket in FC but lost to AceStarthe3rd. I still am not going to handicap other players because it'd give me an advantage though. Certainly not going to say "I don't like this" and attempt to remove an aspect of the game based on my personal taste alone.

Karinole

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Karinole

But I like customs. :p

Honestly, I don't care either way because smash is always smash to me but I do think that it should be a discussion on wether or not customs are legal or not at this event. I think that Evo should be a very good indication on if customs are way to jank to be in a tournament setting such as this one or if there's nothing actually that bad and we should just learn to play alongside them. It could just be personal bias (custom Rosa says whatup) but to me nothing about customs has made them seem detrimental to tournament level play.

EMPEROR Eevee

Smash Cadet
But I like customs. :p

Honestly, I don't care either way because smash is always smash to me but I do think that it should be a discussion on wether or not customs are legal or not at this event. I think that Evo should be a very good indication on if customs are way to jank to be in a tournament setting such as this one or if there's nothing actually that bad and we should just learn to play alongside them. It could just be personal bias (custom Rosa says whatup) but to me nothing about customs has made them seem detrimental to tournament level play.
Which is why i put the question mark lol.

Last edited:

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio
I think debating is fine and all, but please keep assumptions out of it. I for one, will be going to this tournament, customs or not.

chuloon

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone, I am the director of technology and web at AllMid, and I can answer any questions non-smash related you may have. Please feel free to ping me here or email me at ben@allmid.gg!

As for the venue fee, we decided to lower the venue fee from $25 to $20 because we got some additional backing that we weren't expecting. We also have some more exciting news, but I'll let ESI announce that when all the details are finalized!

Last edited:

Rizner

Smash Ace
Checking in as Cincinnati player who likes customs. They are good imo and I haven't heard any arguments against them which I can agree with. It's part of the game - learn it

I generally don't enter smash 4 at al because there's been the no two game rule and no customs means I would prefer melee over it when forced to choose. Was too late to the venue to enter smash 4 last night since the restriction was ended.

Last edited:

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Yeah please don't speak for the general cincy area.
If you'd like to hear what I hear most of them say, then come address me privately and leave it out of this thread.
I think a page of customs bickering will just turn some ppl away.

This looks GREAT tho. I don't think I'll be in the area when this rolls around, so maybe I'll have to make a trip in just to visit =]

It's part of the game - learn it
wut? get outta here, riz

chuloon

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone,

There have been a number of incomplete submissions because people haven't been paying. Just so you know, after you hit the register button, it forwards you to the Paypal page so you can pay for the tournament and venue fee. I know it seems as though you can just close the window and think, "HA!! Tricked him! I registered and didn't pay!" Well... sorry to tell you, but I know when you do this, and the system automatically invalidates your submission. I will send you an email if this happens to you, but let's make it easier on both of us and just pay using the form :)

Thanks!

Cutman

Smash Rookie
NNID
KurisuMakise420
I have a question...

What kind of Gamecube controller mods are allowed? Currently, I am using a Gamecube controller where the C-Stick is replaced with another gray stick. Will I be allowed to use it? My controller doesn't have any other modifications besides that.

Esports Initiative

Smash Journeyman
I have a question...

What kind of Gamecube controller mods are allowed? Currently, I am using a Gamecube controller where the C-Stick is replaced with another gray stick. Will I be allowed to use it? My controller doesn't have any other modifications besides that.
So long as the board hasn't been modified you're fine.

Woodmaster69

Smash Rookie
NNID
THEWoodmasta
bout time cinci gets a good sized tourney. digging customs off, there is enough jank to go around as it is. 3 stock im not a fan of but whatever its no big deal

ill try to go

Sp1nda

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
This seems like it'll be super hype. I will certainly try to make it, and if I can I'll bring a setup. I'll spread the word around!

Nishi

Smash Rookie
If I remember correctly, there were listings for Melee and Sm4sh rewards that were "to be announced." I'm assuming that there will still be rewards for Smash events other than PM. Clarification would be appreciated.

Giganterra

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Giganterra
Class is Back is the last tournament that was actually held in Cincinnati. All of the Cincinnati players that I play with prefer customs (except maybe Mr. Eric). Class is Back, Hilt's tournaments, and FC all had over 80 entrants so if there are players that are dodging customs tournaments they seem to be few.

The only people I heard complaining about customs at Class is Back is the Chicago group. I think Daycia also complained but that's all I've heard.

Esports Initiative, if you would like to discuss customs being on/ off on Skype or something please let me know and I'll be happy to participate. It's a fairly important aspect of Smash 4 rules and it's super important for the healthy future of the game. Over 1900 people are entering EVO with customs on, so I believe that puts to bed the idea of people dodging customs rule sets. Nevertheless, I think it would be good to discuss with your TOs the benefits/ difficulties of running customs in tournament.
Bourbon State Smash Tournaments in Louisville for the past 3 months have been pulling over 60+ with no Customs. I think the no customs is fine considering the potential size of the event. More people are use to no customs as opposed to customs. You'd pull more people

SNIPER_SCOPE

Smash Rookie
When does registration end?

This will also be my first event :)

Hope no one doesn't destroy me 2 badly lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom