• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OC#7 - Season's Beatings 4: New Crack City - Oct. 17, 18 - 2009 - Columbus, OH

Crow!

Smash Lord
Wow, this thing is about a half mile away from me... it's like, right next to along the path I bike every day. I almost can't not go.. but that venue fee IS kind of crazy when I'm only looking for the Brawl part of the event.

Question.. I could bring a Wii, but I don't think I could manage a TV. Is that of any use to the tourney, or is it pretty much TV+Wii combo or nothing?

Suyon

Smash Lord
Hmmmmmmmmmmm to go or not to go.....
If I'm going I might as well go take a look at every event. If I am to waste 35 dollars to you folks.
But Hmm....

solecalibur

Smash Master
Hmmmmmmmmmmm to go or not to go.....
If I'm going I might as well go take a look at every event. If I am to waste 35 dollars to you folks.
But Hmm....
Im not bringing ice cars with me that enough of a reason?

Kel

Smash Master
I don't have paypal so I can't preregister. Does that mean I'll have to pay 45$ total just for Brawl singles?

I also don't have a ride, so I don't really want to waste money on something I may not be able to attend.

Ghaleon

Smash Apprentice
Yup, you can pay through Paypal w/o needing to have an account. And even if you don't have a credit card, you can buy a pre-pay card at Wal-Mart or somewhere and use that to pre-reg on our site.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
sooo looks like Louisville's thinking about coming up to this, but we won't be able to make it unless we could get housing on friday night. Even if we stayed in like... springfield, that'd be fine.

Anyone think they'd have room?

Inui

Banned via Warnings
and Brawl combined?

Definitely not going to this with a $25 venue fee.

With a $10 entry and a 60/30/10 pot split

It'd take 5 people entering and me getting 1st to break event. If I got 2nd, it'd take 8. If I got 3rd, it'd take 25.

This is before making any profit whatsoever.

That's bad for me when I'm one of the people that can actually win money. God save those that want to play smash for fun. o_O
wrong attitude

I showed up thinking I'd win and I did

I knew it'd be big...because it's SB

I won like $300 or something I think after splitting with Forward

step it up

majors like this are amazing

TheKiest

Smash Champion
I agree with Inui, majors really are something else. Just the spectacle itself is worth going.

However the venue fee does increase each year which makes it hard for the "more casual" brawl players to want to compete.

@Ghaleon: Is there anyway we could have some smash friendlies on the friday night before? That way we smashers can at least have another day in with the venue fee as opposed to just coming on Saturday.

Ghaleon

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, for sure -- the space for Smash is set aside all 3 days, so definitely, whoever is in Friday will have the whole section.

Another reminder for everyone to sign up online please -- reminder that if you register on site it's $35 instead of $25, because we need brackets made in advance for every game this year. The whole weekend is going to be behind if we get a flood of people attempting to last-min register. So save yourself and us the time and save yourself the $$, and reg early please!

btw, if you've been to MoMo's before, the Smash area will be the whole elevated bowling-area (which will obviously be closed to the bowlers), which is def more space for you guys and should work out really well.

Also, regarding venue discounts for equipment -- please PM me if you plan on bringing a Wii/TV (or PS3 -- I can tell you what we need from people bringing PS3s if you're able to provide a system/games), so we can have an accurate count of the discounts we'll be giving (and when the equipment will be available -- whether you're coming on Fri or Sat)

Kel

Smash Master
the 4 lane bowling alley isn't that big though. Is that the ONLY place we have? because running a 64 man tournament in that little space is going to be difficult.

TheKiest

Smash Champion
Last time we had about the same space as ONE of those lanes... and we did do 50ish.

For those coming down on Friday night to stay with AZ, we doing a mini smahsfest at the venue or wherever people are staying at?

Point is, I wanna join!

OldAnthem27

Smash Journeyman
A smashfest at the venue that Friday night would be amazing. I'm coming from Huntington WV, so I want to play as much as I possibly can.

soap

Smash Hero
How do you never have money when you win like every tournament you go to? I don't understand ._.
well this one u have to pay gas money and a 25 dollar venue fee for

is there a venue fee if u just wanna come hang out and play some brawl friendlies? my new place is in the university village area about a minute walk away, i don't wanna take up space though from paying entrants

Ghaleon

Smash Apprentice
Yes, if you're coming in to play videogames the venue fee applies. This will be our biggest year, so spectators/casual play must all be accounted for since space will be a premium.

The bowling alley will be closed so that whole area is all Smash.

Reminder to make sure you are pre-regging -- if you show up at the door it's an increased venue fee + it's a headache for the tourney organizers and we start later ;)

MegaFEAR

Smash Apprentice
How much melee interest is there for this? Enough so that I should start a separate thread and get a head count?

PM me if you would be interested in melee if there are enough people going, and what you consider "enough"

MegaFEAR

Smash Apprentice
Cancel the above. Anyone who wants melee should go to dippindots smash fest on the 17th. Word.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
There will be NO MELEE setups while the Brawl tournaments are occurring on Saturday/Sunday. There will simply be not enough room or time to spare even a single tv for Melee friendlies.

Not to mention last year at SBIII Melee players kept saying they wanted a tourney, so they got one on Sunday and a whopping like...10-15 people showed up for it.

Tentative schedule:
Friday: $1 All-Brawl Side tournament
Saturday: Brawl Singles Bracket through to top 8 or 16, Doubles bracket through to top 4 or 8.
Sunday: Finish up Brawl singles and doubles brackets

soap

Smash Hero
There will be NO MELEE setups while the Brawl tournaments are occurring on Saturday/Sunday. There will simply be not enough room or time to spare even a single tv for Melee friendlies.

Not to mention last year at SBIII Melee players kept saying they wanted a tourney, so they got one on Sunday and a whopping like...10-15 people showed up for it.

Tentative schedule:
Friday: $1 All-Brawl Side tournament
Saturday: Brawl Singles Bracket through to top 8 or 16, Doubles bracket through to top 4 or 8.
Sunday: Finish up Brawl singles and doubles brackets
yes the melee was quite depressing last year

the couple years before that were legit though

i'll just come and watch for an hour i guess

Baro

Smash Journeyman
You guys better be ready for some Captain Falcon on Norfair, because I'm coming.

d2Law89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PolarUrs
3DS FC
1263-6319-5484
The 25$ a person venue fee is to rent out that tiny little area?

That's a terrible venue fee/space proportion.

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
K, so i've got a LOT of interest in this from the Akron area now. Anyone up for like 10 people in a hotel room again? MW hotel room is always the best.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Smash Brothers Brawl
General Rules

•3 Stock
•8 minute timer
•Items are set to "off" and "none"
•All sets are best of three
•Winner's Finals, Loser's Finals, and Grand Finals are best of 5
•In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors (RPS)
•No player may choose the stage they last won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
•In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports (picks 2 and 3), and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.
•Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.
•If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser. All other suicide-KO's will be determined by the result screen (loss or tie, if tie play a 1-stock, 2 minute Overtime with 10 edge grab limit).
•You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions (or malfunctions), it must be agreed upon by both parties. If a Wii remote runs out of batteries the current game will continue unpaused.
•Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
•*Stalling is banned.
•Team Attack will be ON
•Life stealing will be allowed
•If time runs out the winner will be determined by the following
1. If one player has over 25 edge grabs (edge grabs are recorded automatically in post-game statistics) that player loses by DQ. If both players have more than 25 edge grabs then go to number 2.
2. If 1 has not occurred then the player with the highest stock wins. If stocks are tied then the player with the lowest percentage wins. If both stock and percent are tied then go to number 3.
3. Play a 1 stock overtime game that will be played on the same stage with the same characters with a 2 minute time limit. 10 edge grab limit.

•No show DQ rule: After a match has been called, if a player is two minutes late he will receive a warning. At 4 minutes late, he will be given a loss for the first game of the set. After six minutes, he will be given a loss of the entire set. There should be no excuse for not being there when your match is called because all the food you need is in the venue for you.

*Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs most end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Note: Momo's, Godlike Productions, Chris Brown, and any persons helping run the event may not be held liable for any lost, stolen, or damaged goods during this event. Nor will Chris Brown, the venue, its owners, affiliates, employees, or volunteers be held liable or responsible for any injury or harm that may befall a person during the course of this event. By entering the venue during the event you are displaying your agreement with this policy.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

Stages

Starter (for stage striking)
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise

Counter pick stages
Battleship Halberd
Brinstar
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Pokemon Stadium 1
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise

---

These will be the rules. All these rules are final. Please note that for every game EXCEPT Smash the grand finals are best of 7. For Smash the grand finals will remain best of 5 (like losers/winners finals) because we don't want the grand finals to last an hour long (a distinct possibility, especially if it goes to two sets it could easily be over an hour).

Blue Rogue

Smash Ace
NNID
ValiantVyse
3DS FC
4527-9345-8740
K, so i've got a LOT of interest in this from the Akron area now. Anyone up for like 10 people in a hotel room again? MW hotel room is always the best.
Go to Bootcamp and post in the NEOH group :V It'd be nice to have two cars...

25 edge grab limit? seems a mite low to me but I guess I wasn't going anyway so /shrug
I thought so too until I saw that it was only if the game timed out, pretty creative way to apply it. *counts opponents nonplanking edge grabs to 25 then stalls the rest of the match*

jokey665

Smash Ace
I thought so too until I saw that it was only if the game timed out, pretty creative way to apply it. *counts opponents nonplanking edge grabs to 25 then stalls the rest of the match*
... I really want somebody to do this. Count your opponents edgegrabs then stall without planking... genius.

Ghaleon

Smash Apprentice
Pre-reg reminder -- we're almost just a week away, PLEASE pre-register if you're coming! It's $10 extra if you just show up at the door. We enjoy $$ but we enjoy a smooth event more, so please check the site out and sign up this week. The deadline to do so is almost a week away. Thanks guys!

Top Bottom