• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oak's Laboratory - The Mechanics and Advanced Techniques of Pokémon Trainer

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Hi all. Just visiting with a present for everybody. Man... I needa visit this place some more... i play with PT a few times too.

Anywayz, cutting to the chase:

I was wondering if you guys could make use of this new AT with pikachu? I'm teaming with my bro (arc-thefallen-, plays Toon Link) and am going to advance the technique. Here's the original post AND video! ^_^ enjoy!

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=8104088&postcount=14

Cool thing about this move is that it allows a INSTANTANEOUS NON-FASTFALLED d-air right in the middle of it. Works for those with laggy (but epic) spike-moves with high fastfall risk.

Furthermore, Pokemon Trainer Squirtle and Charizard's Flame combines well with one of pika's other VERY SITUATIONAL BUT FREAKIN' AMAZIN' team AT':
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3xzQvawR7E&fmt=18

Thanks for the time. Hope you like and laugh. Please pm me if you have any neat contributions or comments--i'd appreciate that. :D

Aposl

Smash Ace
Ivysaur has two AT's that I believe are not mentioned, the first is, he has the ability to jump out of meteor smash immediately after being hit by one , two Ivysaur can grab the edge from under the stage on stages that can be jumped through, for example: Delfino Plaza and Halberd. This gives Ivysaur the ability to grab the edge as he passes through the bottom, immediately canceling the tether as he lands on the ground, this allow Ivysaur to follow up with a bullet seed or a F - Smash.

Fearmy

Smash Ace
Ivysaur has two AT's that I believe are not mentioned, the first is, he has the ability to jump out of meteor smash immediately after being hit by one , two Ivysaur can grab the edge from under the stage on stages that can be jumped through, for example: Delfino Plaza and Halberd. This gives Ivysaur the ability to grab the edge as he passes through the bottom, immediately canceling the tether as he lands on the ground, this allow Ivysaur to follow up with a bullet seed or a F - Smash.
I'll put it on there.

Vermy

Smash Champion
Itemplane. Same input as hydroplane fsmash except while holding an item.

And hydrotoss. Same input as hydroplane usmash and dsmash, while holding an item. Squirtle will slide forward the full hydroplane distance and throw the item up/down. (Depending on whether you used usmash or dsmash) great for mixups with Glide tossing vs Diddy. As well as keeping the bananas away from him.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
no none of the pikmin are grass type

i'm 80% sure that the blue ones aren't considered water

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Well they do survive longer in water than the others, so maybe they are.

T-block

B2B TST
nope... red pikmin are the only ones that affect the type triangle. white ones might be considered "dark" like ganondorf's moves, but w/e

StarGalaxy777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StarGalaxy
"Pokemon Trainer also has a fair number of advanced techniques that can improve your gameplay and provide you with more options to apply pressure and punish mistakes. This thread is more geared towards Pokemon Trainer specific ATs, but some of the more important/useful universal techniques will be listed as well. With the exception of Baton Passing, everything listed under the Pokemon Trainer is actually common to all/most characters. See http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=187873 for a more complete list. This thread assumes you're using a Gamecube controller, with C-stick set to smash. Tap Jump can be on or off, but some ATs require different inputs if you have it off"

Do you have one that reflects the Wii Remote and Nunchuk Combo?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
"Pokemon Trainer also has a fair number of advanced techniques that can improve your gameplay and provide you with more options to apply pressure and punish mistakes. This thread is more geared towards Pokemon Trainer specific ATs, but some of the more important/useful universal techniques will be listed as well. With the exception of Baton Passing, everything listed under the Pokemon Trainer is actually common to all/most characters. See http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=187873 for a more complete list. This thread assumes you're using a Gamecube controller, with C-stick set to smash. Tap Jump can be on or off, but some ATs require different inputs if you have it off"

Do you have one that reflects the Wii Remote and Nunchuk Combo?
Not to my knowledge, but it's the buttons that matter the most, rather than the controller (although with no C-Stick, there are certain limitations). It isn't difficult to translate as a result.

Shield, Attack, Grab, etc.

StarGalaxy777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StarGalaxy
Not to my knowledge, but it's the buttons that matter the most, rather than the controller (although with no C-Stick, there are certain limitations). It isn't difficult to translate as a result.

Shield, Attack, Grab, etc.
Yeah I figured that thanks for the help

I realized about the c-stick problem

pkmntrainer12

Smash Rookie
no none of the pikmin are grass type

i'm 80% sure that the blue ones aren't considered water
Olimar's blue pikmin are not water based, so u r right

Red- Fire/Best Aerials
Blue- Neutral/Best Grabbing
Yellow- Electric/Largest Attack Range
White- Poison/Fastest Attacks
Purple- Neutral/Highest Knockback

pkmntrainer12

Smash Rookie
i have a question, do Final Smashes effect Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard's type weakness? Such as Mario's Final Smash effecting Ivysaur or Triple Finish effecting all 3

Oceanus

Smash Rookie
The wavebouncing part is very confusing. I couldn't complete it, or at least I think I couldn't. The description of it with using the c-stick and without seem completely different. I tried without and couldn't get it to work, as it just doesn't make sense. If I smash left, I should smash left, not right like the paragraph says. The c-stick version makes sense, though, and I think following it without using the c-stick did work for me but I forget.

I also have troubles with Squirtles D-Smash Hydroplaning, I just can't seem to get it to work at all after 10 min. of trial and error.

Kith

Smash Ace
The wavebouncing part is very confusing. I couldn't complete it, or at least I think I couldn't. The description of it with using the c-stick and without seem completely different. I tried without and couldn't get it to work, as it just doesn't make sense. If I smash left, I should smash left, not right like the paragraph says. The c-stick version makes sense, though, and I think following it without using the c-stick did work for me but I forget.

I also have troubles with Squirtles D-Smash Hydroplaning, I just can't seem to get it to work at all after 10 min. of trial and error.

I don't really wavebounce much, so I cant be of much help there, but I have added D-Smash hydroplaning to my game a lot (mainly because of how little ending lag there is, so it's a nice frame trap), so I might be able to help.

To do it, you have to shellshift, like you normally would. However, you don't press straight down on the C-stick. You have to press down and away from the direction you're moving out of the shellshift. After you get that, it's just really timing. You might mess up and do a F-smash in the opposite direction, but that just means you have the angle of the C-stick a little off (Too far to the side and not low enough).

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Kith we were discussing this in the Charizard tactical discussion and I figured since you couldn't help Oceanus much this would. Between Tenki's post and mine (His deffinitly being much more instructional) I figured Oceanus could deff get the help he needs......but honestly we may wanna take Tenki instructions and use them in the opening page, Tenki makes it real clear and pretty simple.

[Run] > [Jump] > [Tap Back] (release+wait a moment) > [ B ] - [Forward] > ??? > Profit

Like, if you're doing a side-B, you can do the input as [Direction] - [ B ], right?
Doing it with neutral B is almost the same, except it's [ B ] - [Direction].

Input example for doing it facing right:
> [Jump] >
(release) > [ B ] -

The point of tapping back is so the flame thrower starts off facing backwards, letting you tap/face forward to get the B-reversal effect.

:093:

To do it manually(aka without b-sticking) Steeler for Rock Smash lets say you input side B for w.e side you want to rock smash on. Right after you enter side-b you push the control stick in the opposite direction. Toy around with it a bit and you will find the timing, its kinda fast but if you input it "Melee-status" as I say then the brawl just will not recognize the input and you'll just rock smash on w.e side you put the command in for.

The same goes for flamethrower its just a bit harder because you cant input the direction until after flamethrower has been started so flamethrower wave-bouncing is definitely harder than wave-bouncing Rock smash

T-block

B2B TST
I hope Kith and Ice_Coon answered your questions. I do intend to rewrite the wavebounce part soon - even as I was writing it I knew it wasn't very clear. Sorry >_<

Venusaur Trainer

Smash Rookie
Hi guys!

Was practicing my hydroplane game yesterday (my Squirtle is lacking some options). For some reason I just can't seem to reliably pull off the hydrograb.
I can't get the timing right. 2 out of 3 times, I do a backward roll, a reverse grab out of a shellshift or a hydroplane f-smash (backwards) instead.
Any tips would be appreciated.

For the times I managed to pull it off (practiced almost two hours, some periods being better than others), I noticed than despite the animation it doesn't seem to expand Squirtle's grab range much more than a grab out of a shellshift. The real difference being in the slide afterwards. Am I wrong?

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Try pressing L to grab. I had the hardest time pressing R, but I've got no troubles at all when pressing L.

humble

Smash Ace
To add to the Ivy section, if you use a vine whip at the correct height beneath a platform, so that the hop will put you right on the platform, and ivy doesn't suffer the long, bounce, landlag standard for a vinewhip.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Oh thanks for reminding me humble.....I need to look it up but I wrote a guide on "perfect blading" basically a very effective way of throwing the best razor leaves with the most control everytime

Its in the Ivy tactical discussion I just gotta look it up so when I do I'll quote it so it can be put here also

T-block

B2B TST
yeah put it here ****...must have missed it

okay, list of things to do:
rewrite wavebouncing
ivysaur up-b lag cancel
frame specific timing for squirtle's ATs

the last one is just an idea i had...think it'd be useful?

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
A thread was made by Kingdom Come a while back saying he found out a way to control the leaves, and it was backed up by Bomber and Susa, but there was still a lot of dispute over whether or not you could actually control the trajectory of Razor Leaf.

Top Bottom