• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oak's Laboratory - The Mechanics and Advanced Techniques of Pokémon Trainer

zeta

Smash Journeyman
i'll try and get vids up of the move soon. it looks just like the backwards facing one but facing forward.

blazefox

Smash Journeyman
I think I figured out a new mindgame/ AT with shellshifting. It's basically just Squirtle hiding in his shell while sliding.

If your facing right, run, then quickly hit left then right, and hold right for a second. The only use I can see this having is if they decide to roll around you, you can pivot grab outtof this and still get the grab distance boost from the pivot. So if they spot dodge, the slight delay of Squirtle staying in his shell will let you still grab them as they're invincibility frames end?

blazefox

Smash Journeyman
He just sits there in the shell and doesn't slide at all? That's been discovered already, methinks.
Not exactly. When he exits the shell after standing still, if you try grabbing, you get a boosted grab with a slide as if you were still moving. The slide is quite long, about the distance he would have gone if you didn't shellshift and kept pivoting.

Fearmy

Smash Ace
Not exactly. When he exits the shell after standing still, if you try grabbing, you get a boosted grab with a slide as if you were still moving. The slide is quite long, about the distance he would have gone if you didn't shellshift and kept pivoting.
also this happens to be a failed attempt of a hydrograb.

zeta

Smash Journeyman
the forward tilt has zero vertical knock back and puts them in the sliding flipping animation which way can you smash di?

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
Can they tech out of it once you reach the wall?

If this becomes legit and stuff maybe I'll start using Squirtle more often.

zeta

Smash Journeyman
the flipping percentages determine when they can tech so before the flipping they can and after the flipping they can but so far as i know the flipping animation is untechable and must be completed unless interupted by a hit.

o and this works only against walls... so i don't know what you meant by reach the wall.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
What if the flip happens before you reach a wall? Do they have options there?

So it's just a wall lock for a little while? Laem. :(

peeup

Smash Lord
Ummm, off topic, but I just want to say that you have to put your hands in an awkward position to hydroplane (it said something like that.) Its easy to just to an upsmash normally (up on control stick right when you press A.)

zeta

Smash Journeyman
What if the flip happens before you reach a wall? Do they have options there?

So it's just a wall lock for a little while? Laem. :(
if you make them flip before the wall there isn't much you can do due to ending lag of the ftilt.

and don't be a hater :laugh::laugh::laugh: its good for 50-60% i'll take that fo'sho!

Fearmy

Smash Ace
I have a vid where i jab locked a D3, and at the end of FD, did a D-smash, He Recovered Upwards, Went to Free Fall state and Tryed to grab the ledge, I water gunned him :D

zeta

Smash Journeyman
I have a vid where i jab locked a D3, and at the end of FD, did a D-smash, He Recovered Upwards, Went to Free Fall state and Tryed to grab the ledge, I water gunned him :D
nice get gimped ddd!

i played a marth last night that used nuetral b to get horizontal recovery distance. I used water gun and stopped him in his tracks. lulz he missed the ledge cause of that lol.

infernovia

Smash Ace
God-Is-My-Rock has found the usefulness of footstool jump when the opponent is grounded:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=197100

The interesting part here is that PT has some good stuff out of this. Like waterfall, ivysaur's dair, and charizard's fly (I wonder if someone here can get ROCKSMASH). Very limited but it deserves a mention.

zeta

Smash Journeyman
*goes to training mode*

*back from training*

hard to perform
ivysaurs is the easist and most useful even though its not really useful
squirtles waterfall sucks out of it
zards fly is alright

darkNES386

Smash Lord
I've recently picked up Pokemon Trainer and I was curious if people using Squirtle ever pivot cancel instead of just shell shifting. I'm experimenting with mixing up dash dancing, shell shifting: rolls/stalls and pivot cancels. Comments?

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
yeah, i pivot cancel all the time without thinking about it. i think it's necessary for fsmashes and dsmashes. not for usmash. i think everything involving squirtle's pivot just goes under the general "shellshift" moniker.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
yeah, i pivot cancel all the time without thinking about it. i think it's necessary for fsmashes and dsmashes. not for usmash. i think everything involving squirtle's pivot just goes under the general "shellshift" moniker.
So you use this to space appropriately for grabbing and smash attack?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioUt7qjfh6Y

It works really well with Sonic, I haven't had much time though to experiment it's effectiveness with all the pokemon in match situations.

Fearmy

Smash Ace
i usually tend to fox trot, mixing up pivots, (making them long or short by quickly fox troting out of it, or slaming the control stick to the side then letting go.)

Fearmy

Smash Ace
I know this guide is a little outdated, you mind giving me the list of AT i'm missing?

Snare

Smash Lord
I know this guide is a little outdated, you mind giving me the list of AT i'm missing?
stock depletion: The act of **** in brawl

(also i didnt see anything related to char's grab release, thought he had a chain with it...)

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
very nice, sucks that Hydroplaning only works with tap jump on :( sucks for us people that cant use tap jump right. its hard with Z tho kinda like doing a snake dash with down c up c =/ not that fun =[

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
The WB guy will speak:

I have this huge thread about wavebouncing, and I'm gonna make a video about all the bounces in the game performed in every way, plus applications. However, I can already now say this, since it will please the P.trainers:

Ivysaurs side b is on of the easiest move to wavebounce in the game.

Why? Because after it is initiated, you gain free control of ivysaurs movement. All you have to do is do it in any direction, then choose the direction you want to go. You have a huge ammount of time here, becaue the momentum can be shifted for the entire startup before the leaf. For other charcters like Zamus, the wavebounce is about a few frames of rapid thumb-movement. For ivysaur, you have almost half a second.

If you want to know more about this, here is my thread:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=191605

Fearmy

Smash Ace
you know, i really wanna know why the hydrograb actually works, i mean i tried the same sequence with other characters, including the other 3, they don't even get a slight boost.... maybe somehow we could make that into something actually useful :X

BLoo524

Smash Rookie
i came to this thread looking for some help on pokemon trainer, like combos, im good with him but i want to take it to the next level, just asking for more specific help

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to try this when I get home, however I just thought of it and it might be something very interesting.

When doing the forward hydroplane, all you really do is you cancel the jump by doing an u-smash. What if you can cancel the jump with other moves, such as d-smash? This would mean that squirtle can super wavedash every single move, with no delay!

It sure would be awesome, so I'll post again on progress.

Top Bottom