• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oak's Laboratory - The Mechanics and Advanced Techniques of Pokémon Trainer

MaTA

Smash Ace
NNID
MatisElite
My one question is that how do you dacus with squirtle...i've watched the AD and Pants vids but not sure how to...not sure if you need tap jump off. It just seems really hard to do, even harder then sheiks... any advice would help, thanks

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
Run in a direction. Hit to dash in the opposite direction and almost instantly (you really shouldn't see the shift animation at all, you might hear the beginning of the noise) input a jump and Usmash (pretty much at the same time). He'll let Usmash out almost instantly unless you press "Z" or a corresponding button to hold the charge.

You can do this with tap jump on or off.

Also, I'm working on making our stickies more effective, and I'll be taking this thread on after I finish with the thread index. So hopefully this question will never get asked again. =>

MaTA

Smash Ace
NNID
MatisElite
alright thanks i'll give it a try... but in the videos i seem them just running forward a bit then doing it. I never really seen them run in one direction and turn and do it instantly its usually just running right into it. I'll look closer but yeah usually just seem them doing it without turning.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
Your inputs should be so fast that you don't see Squirtle turn. You do need to input the turn to take advantage of Hydroplaning, though.

S

smash brawl player 99021

I dub this The UBER THREAD!!!
(I use these guys for Brawl +)
look down

Vermy

Smash Champion
There is one AT I'm not seeing...
Fast falled dair (so the last hit is cancelled on landing) to utilt>utilt.......follow>utilt...

I propose this be called the Reflex Lock. Or the Reflex Ninja Turtle Headbutt Combo of Imminent ****.

Ever since I saw that video of Kismet's Falco Vs Reflex's PT I've been implementin this into my game more and more. It really does bring the **** and I think it should be listed as an AT.

Fearmy

Smash Ace
lol haha i love doing that, only slightly starting slower on the 3rd up tilt (so i can juggle them more)

T-block

B2B TST
Does Charizard really have super armor on his Rock Smash .___.

Also, you should update "Speed Recovering" with using aerials instead of air dodge, and giving it a proper name =P

Roxas1988

Smash Journeyman
Thanx for the thread was very useful.. Startin usin pkm trainer not too long ago. I still think he is an underrated character. The only problem I have with him is ivysaur's easily gimpable recovery other than that im comfortable with this character. thread 5/5!!!

droughboi

Smash Journeyman
would the reverse grab thats listed be the same as a reverse hydrograb?

edit: whoops nvm i just read the discription of the attack and it isnt. uh well reverse hydro grab isnt listed. Can it be added to the list since it goes as far as a hydrograb but acts like a pivot grab? it seems useful.

Cracker1204

Smash Apprentice
This has been known for a while but I dont see it in the list:

squirtle:

you can shellshift and than use f smash the opposite direction as everyone knows but you can also use it in the same direction your shellshifting in.

first do a shellshift, then IN the shellshift switch your control stick to the opposite direction your shellshifting in and press C + z in the direction you want to f-smash.

example:

running right
shellshift to the left
control stick input to the right
C stick to the left (if you want to do the f smash forward)
z (if you want to charge your smash, If you dont charge it you wont glide)

Fearmy

Smash Ace

squirtle:

you can shellshift and than use f smash the opposite direction as everyone knows but you can also use it in the same direction your shellshifting in.

first do a shellshift, then IN the shellshift switch your control stick to the opposite direction your shellshifting in and press C + z in the direction you want to f-smash.

example:

running right
shellshift to the left
It's there. It's the forward hydrolane or w/e i changed it to. i listed it as using Up + A if you have tap jump on.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
cracker that's waaaay easier than how i used to do the forward fsmash. thanks for that.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I want to say something about the hydro grab that might make things easier on people. Ok, so while I was attempting the hydro smash I kept on accidentally going the hydro grab, It frustrated me a bit because that is not what I wanted. When I eventually got to Hydro grab and started attempting it, the sudden change in C-stick direction like it describes, screwed me over. I play without tap jump on (if that makes a difference) to make a long story short I found that simple you do a shell shift and at the right moment(like all the other attacks, it's around the same time) and press Z and hit the C-stick down at a 45 degree angle. It's easier for me to to it when Squirtle would be grabbing to the left, the right is a bit hard for me, I keep doing the pivot Hydro f smash. Try it out, it works, I'm too lazy to post a video, so sorry about my laziness.

T-block

B2B TST

squirtle:

example:

running right
shellshift to the left
So with this I can slide towards my opponent and f-smash towards them as well? Sounds really cool, and I don't see it on the list fearmy =\

Evil-Knuckles

Smash Rookie
With Ivysaur there is a much faster way to grab the edge if you sent someone off, simple SH off the edge the us your UpB and you will tether, you dont even have to turn around. Ivysaur is the only one that can do this backwards. For others with tether if you are B-sticking just run towards the edge and press the opposite direction on your c-stick (b-sticking) then just press z for link/samus etc or UpB for ZSS or Ivysaur its only takes a few frames and is the fastest way to edgehog in the game. Just my findings, I didnt see anything like that posted up there. Yeah so test it our for yourself and post it here. You lose your c-stick stuff but gain a faster edgehog and if used on stage run c-stick opposite direction (keep holding control stick forward) and you can do any airiel out of it like Ivysaur runs then all of the sudden is using Bair like Fair. Yeah......

Vermy

Smash Champion
That's Ivy's instant tether (see first post)
and its sexy. ^_^

love edgehogging people with it.
Its humiliating for someone to be edgehogged by ivysaur, as its usually the other way around.

T-block

B2B TST
Yeah it's good stuff, and it should be added if it isn't in the first post.

You don't even have to short hop off the edge... just run off and up-b once you're off the stage.

Evil-Knuckles

Smash Rookie
Yeah it's good stuff, and it should be added if it isn't in the first post.

You don't even have to short hop off the edge... just run off and up-b once you're off the stage.
Oh its already in? I didnt know, I was looking through Ivys ATs but didnt see that, well what about the B-sticking instant edgehog?

I still dont see where its posted there...

T-block

B2B TST
Hmm... I looked and I can't find it either. That first post is kinda outdated though...there are quite a few things that have changed.

The B-sticking thing doesn't seem to have a lot of use... Ivy can snap to the edge without B-sticking, and this is a PT advanced tech list. Plus no one uses b-sticking lol.

Evil-Knuckles

Smash Rookie
Yeah C-sticking has a lot more uses, even A-sticking (not really for PT *cough* snake *cough*), but B-sticking is very glitchy at times and has limited uses and like you said Ivysaur can grab the edge without it. Oh well time to move on to a different forum then. These guides are fun to look at.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
the thing i don't like is that half of your ledge grab invincibility frames are gone if you tether.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
So with this I can slide towards my opponent and f-smash towards them as well? Sounds really cool, and I don't see it on the list fearmy =\
What's funny is I just found out how to do that on my own and found out you can do the same with d-smash, so now I can charge a d-smash while sliding. it's the same timing as the forward hydro-fsmash but you hit the c-stick at a 45 degree angle. :D

I didn't see that on the list either, only the one that send the uncharged d-smash across the stage.

I hope this is a new discovery, incase it hasn't been known yet.

Fearmy

Smash Ace
my bad i thought he said U smash i'll put it on there.

SilverSpark

Smash Journeyman
err, when you're about to start gliding with charizard, if you hold backwards and have a little backwards momentum before you glide, you'll basically start your glide a little farther back :]

same thing for when you hold down

not that that's too useful... maybe if you need to avoid an attack or hover in the air for a longer period of time then do a glide attack o.O

Fearmy

Smash Ace
err, when you're about to start gliding with charizard, if you hold backwards and have a little backwards momentum before you glide, you'll basically start your glide a little farther back :]

not that that's too useful... maybe if you need to avoid an attack or hover in the air for a longer period of time then do a glide attack o.O
yeah it's known, but i can't find a really good use for it. i've tried doing a Double Jump -> Shifted Down Glide and tried to AC the Glide attack, but it's too slow.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero

Mindgame glide attacks work sometimes if you do this. =D

Top Bottom