• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NWM! - IMPULSE Circuit! Stream is up! http://www.twitch.tv/meleepacwest

The timer rule shouldn't even be in this game

Games almost never go to time. What are you hoping to stop with a timer? Without 1 you're preventing any incentive to win by timeout

BladeWise

Smash Lord
I've been in support of 99 minute timer for a long time. The timer would only be used to track Randall or stadium transformation, or any other stage nuance.

:phone:

Beat!

Smash Master
... not having a timer is absolutely ********. Both players could/would downright refuse to approach each other, because neither the leading player nor the losing one would have anything to lose.

Diakonos

Smash Lord
First, I don't think 7 min is as bad as 6 min, because fewer matchups regularly go into the 6 min range.

That being said, the decision to change it to 7 appears to me to be capricious and ineffectual. The stated reason for changing it is to save tournament time. Will this actually happen? I have my doubts. Okay, you MIGHT save 1 minute, maybe, in the strange case that a regular (non-campy) match for whatever reason goes to the time limit. However, the incentive for campy matches to wait the full time (I'm thinking samus vs. Peach on a big stage, or whatever) increases. My thoughts are that the bad outweighs the good.

Clearly, the TO can do whatever he wants. He can even make it all pokeballs on very high. But we have standard rulesets for a reason; these things have been thought out. I'm fine with 7min and think that Eric should be fine, too, but the decision to make it thus seems arbitrary and misguided.

Look forward to seeing you guys anyway :D

FrenchToasts

Smash Journeyman
i call firsties on bens couch (one opposite side of the room from tv) and sleeping bag. pz out nukkas

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
... not having a timer is absolutely ********. Both players could/would downright refuse to approach each other, because neither the leading player nor the losing one would have anything to lose.
This never happens and a lot of actual tournament matches are played without a timer on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO5K59YJUAQ from a couple of days ago.

And this is from two of the biggest advocates of not approaching in the world.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
They also don't play floaty characters and split their winnings.

Violence

Smash Lord
Normal matches between me and Peaches are like 6-7 minutes already, just because there's so much live->come back, land a hit, live->come back. We approach, but it's so hard to get 4 stock down in that period of time.

That said, I'm not really going to argue with Otto, it's his tournament.

First, I don't think 7 min is as bad as 6 min, because fewer matchups regularly go into the 6 min range.

That being said, the decision to change it to 7 appears to me to be capricious and ineffectual. The stated reason for changing it is to save tournament time. Will this actually happen? I have my doubts. Okay, you MIGHT save 1 minute, maybe, in the strange case that a regular (non-campy) match for whatever reason goes to the time limit. However, the incentive for campy matches to wait the full time (I'm thinking samus vs. Peach on a big stage, or whatever) increases. My thoughts are that the bad outweighs the good.

Clearly, the TO can do whatever he wants. He can even make it all pokeballs on very high. But we have standard rulesets for a reason; these things have been thought out. I'm fine with 7min and think that Eric should be fine, too, but the decision to make it thus seems arbitrary and misguided.

Look forward to seeing you guys anyway :D

I've never seen a match go past 7 minutes in tournament aside from players who plan on camping the full 8 minutes anyway (armada, pink shinobi), which means that if anything, this time change will only limit that kind of match. Players that play to camp the whole game usually dont finish the game anyway, so it would be better to end a dumb match like that earlier imo. I'm not saying it is likely it will help in any way, but that it is even more likely that it will not have any negative effect on the outcome of the tournament. I could be wrong, but on the other hand, i dont think this time change will matter one bit in the end so im just gonna stick with 7 minutes and see what happens.

Beat!

Smash Master
This never happens and a lot of actual tournament matches are played without a timer on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO5K59YJUAQ from a couple of days ago.

And this is from two of the biggest advocates of not approaching in the world.
That was a local tournament with pretty much nothing on the line (since they split in GFs). And in that particular matchup, extended camping is pretty hard to pull off.

I'm not saying it's gonna happen a lot. Hell, if you remove the timer and it actually never happens, then that's great. But even if it only happens once, well, enjoy your delayed tournament.

Idk, to me it feels like a pretty big gamble at a 100+ tournament.

But what the hell, I'm being cynical and I can't really go to this anyway lol. I'm gonna shut up now.

Move the tourney to the H-Mart, they give dem azn's to much room anyways
foreal. yo if we get the extra space next door this tournament will **** sooooo hard.

Attention

we are able to extend this tournament and make it 2 days. we also wont need 2 full days to finish it, that i know. SO, give me some dope side tournament ideas to make this tournament filteeeeee

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Hey Silent Wolf have you made that donation thread for Javi? If so may I have the link because I can't find it haha.

Edit: I'd do a Falcon ditto tourney if flight schedule and stuff permits. Falcon dittos are awesome.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Yo, we're paying for Javi, right? or does he have his own money? If it's the former, we should really get that started lol

D

Deleted member

no need to have poop side tournaments imo, unless real tournaments run extremely well most people ignore them/dismiss as a waste of time unless its a falcon ditto tournament

CREWS sound better but idk if it can be pulled off here

as for javi... just waiting on a socal tourney, if i do well enuf i'll put it in the bank and send it to a paypal once yuutyutyuty or javi posts a paypal

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
foreal. yo if we get the extra space next door this tournament will **** sooooo hard.

Attention

we are able to extend this tournament and make it 2 days. we also wont need 2 full days to finish it, that i know. SO, give me some dope side tournament ideas to make this tournament filteeeeee
If you make it 2 days I'll probably go. I just looked up tickets and its less than $300. I'm completely free that weekend too soooooooo

yah

lets do this.

Yttuty

Smash Apprentice
no need to have poop side tournaments imo, unless real tournaments run extremely well most people ignore them/dismiss as a waste of time unless its a falcon ditto tournament

CREWS sound better but idk if it can be pulled off here

as for javi... just waiting on a socal tourney, if i do well enuf i'll put it in the bank and send it to a paypal once yuutyutyuty or javi posts a paypal
yutyutyyuty reportin here...

people, I just wanted u to know one thing, the faster u get the money, the better for me, I'm not trying to make pressure, just want to inform u ( if u didn't know ) that I'm paying my ticket and the sooner the cheaper, pretty obvious

it's just like, a reminder, or something... don't take it personally (:

SW I added u on facebook but it seems u never get online, I guess I'll just send u an inbox to get more info about everything

un abrazo a todos ustedes aunque no los conozca

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero

Attention

My suggestions:

Low Tier Tournament

Random Draft Crew Bracket --- Everyone enters their name into a hat/cup/whatever. You end up with 2 people per crew and enter them into a bracket.

Are you planning at all to attempt an amateur bracket at this? Since you have more time it might be good to do that. Seeding pools -> Top X-people go into Pro/Bottom X-people go into Ama

Im about to leave for school but once i get back ill make the donation thread. im too lazy to make a new paypal so ill just use mine and donate the money i have in there haha.

ytutty whats your name on fb? just contact me via messages, i dont go on chat. ALSO, about how much do you think javi needs?

DONATION THREAD FOR JAVI

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=318132

Random Draft Crew Bracket --- Everyone enters their name into a hat/cup/whatever. You end up with 2 people per crew and enter them into a bracket.
this sounds kinda cool. when i read the first part i thought it was like a 1v1 team battle tournament with a couple random characters, which would be cool too. falcon only sounds fun tho. i bet we could think of something better tho. low tier tournament would be soooooo gay. all the low tiers on the current tier list are booty now that like, link pika and dk are gone

edit: im gonna go with falcon only tournament. any serious objections?

Top Bottom