• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NWM! - IMPULSE Circuit! Stream is up! http://www.twitch.tv/meleepacwest

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
fine ill keep it at 8. i honestly think you guys are overreacting tho.
^ this

although it really doesn't matter. changing it to 6 minutes wouldn't really affect gameplay or match length at all

both changing the timer from 8 minutes to 6 minutes, as well as complaining about it being at 6 minutes instead of 8 minutes, seem kind of inconsequential to me

note that in a lot of tournament matches people neglect to turn the timer on and it often barely matters lol

Well we gave our reasons..

I'm still interested in why you wanted to make it 6 minutes..
i just dont think i single match should last that long and wouldnt want it to hold up the tournament any more than 6 minutes. i also dont see much harm in having it 6 minutes. its not very much of a benefit either, but still.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
fine ill keep it at 8. i honestly think you guys are overreacting tho.
I definitely agree how you feel about people over-reacting.

6 minutes isn't all too crazy, and despite 8 being the "norm" this is still SW's tournament and if you're going to decide that you will not go (or camp like a *****) because of this just remember that you aren't hosting and shouldn't bash a TO for trying something new. If nobody tried anything new or went against the grain that attendees are used to then we would never have evolved into the ruleset we have now.

Also, if you want to camp like a ***** I'll camp you harder and make you wish you never made that choice. :awesome:

C!Z

Smash Lord
Ladies, ladies, let's just G2 it up and compromise at 7 minutes. While we're at it mix in a lil Apex and say **** Kongo.

i put together this heavily based tournament and all i get is complaints!?

its 7 minutes, kongo legal. final decision

Diakonos

Smash Lord
No one is making any remarks about the TO; some of us are simply concerned about the apparent arbitrariness of such a change. (One does not simply... ) But there are implications, as SW has suggested.

10min - 8 min is not much of a change, but 8 to 6 is. This is because several matchups can easily encroach on the 5 minute boundary, and to think that there is only 1 minute left would change the dynamic of those matchups. The actual effect of changing it to 6 min might actually be the opposite of the intended effect.

But, go ahead, make generalizations about Canadians and people who see differently! ;D

:phone:

Metà

Smash Master
I agree. Being a puff main, I've seen many matches go to over 6 minutes without camping. floaty vs floaty and whatnot, you know

look at this match: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgwjFAeAxpI

neither player is remotely trying to run the clock out, but the nature of their characters leads to longer games. I think a lot of people just have this idea that matches should all be 3-4 minutes long, but if that's the case, maybe you should be looking at the stock count, and the way you're playing/characters you're using

that being said, I wouldn't let a 6-minute timer keep me from going (I'm already not going, due to prior arrangements). but if you don't have a solid projectile game against me, and i'm in the lead at 4+ minutes, i might just start grabbing the edge a lot

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
But, go ahead, make generalizations about Canadians and people who see differently! ;D
he didn't make a generalization, he stated fact (everyone who has complained about 6 minutes in this thread is in fact a canadian)

anyway whatever. I met lil B and based god at the same time.

*cooks*

LLDL

Smash Hero
I think what Silent wolf is trying to imply is that if you're taking part in a floaty versus floaty tournament match, you don't deserve the benefits of more time. :awesome:

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
probably. we could/should talk to Dmac and get him to let us use his streaming equipment if nothing else

are you the same as asadelta from smashbroshawaii?

also, me and Vish have seen Asa Akira nude in person. hype

BladeWise

Smash Lord
Shorter time limits are actually counter-productive. Most matches end between 3-4 minutes, except floaty matchups (esp on Stadium). However, if a person sees that there is only a minute or two left on the clock, then they are MORE likely to camp and waste time, rather than finish the match normally.

Trust me, I play Brawl.

Metà

Smash Master
Shorter time limits are actually counter-productive. Most matches end between 3-4 minutes, except floaty matchups (esp on Stadium). However, if a person sees that there is only a minute or two left on the clock, then they are MORE likely to camp and waste time, rather than finish the match normally.

Trust me, I play Brawl.
teddy gets it.

FrenchToasts

Smash Journeyman
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

ericccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

t-iceman

Smash Journeyman
i also dont think making the time limit lower is a good idea. mu's like samus peach that run 6 min on the regular are much more likely to go to timeout and yea im assuming that otto is trying to make the tourney go faster but like teddy said, doing that isn't going to help.

Beat!

Smash Master
I think Finland usually runs 7 minutes, without issues. I agree with those who said that 6 minutes is too short, because some floaty matchups take that long even if they play aggressively, but I don't think 7 minutes would be that bad.

/random opinion

Top Bottom