• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NTSC Melee as a tournament standard in Australia

Do you want to play NTSC in Australian Melee tournaments? (Votes are public)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
This poll won't decide on any action regarding the use of NTSC in Australian tournaments; it is merely to gauge how many people would prefer to have it as a tournament standard over PAL.

Happy voting!

Pantsmann

Smash Lord
are there enough NTSC copies in australia atm to make it a standard? or will people have to import some, cause moniez costs moniez. costing moniez is a lot of effort for such a trivial matter.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
pants there are enough copies
and nobody would have to import if we wanted more

Splice

Smash Hero
Im voting for NTSC because then, when I fail at Melee tournaments, I could say it's because I don't actually own the game.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
funny how the two people NTSC doesn't benefit vote yes (cao dekar)
and the two for which ntsc would be a huge boost vote no (em tak)

we're all just champs

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
i voted yes because i want to, but i know its not practical

theres a difference between want and will happen (:

unless suddenly theres extra ntsc melee copies everywhere

Dekar289

Smash Hero
everyone with a hacked wii can get it
plus people who actually have ntsc melee
plenty of copies riiite?

unreon

Smash Ace
I voted "Yes" because I play NTSC at home and it's just what I'm used to. Personal preference.

But in reality for the scene I'm inclined to say "No" because there's no need to force people to spend money just to learn and adjust. Nobody should have to go to roundabout methods like hacking wiis or getting US cubes just to play.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
lol Dekar, I voted NTSC because I think I play better in it (even though I'm technically worse). PAL feels... ugh... in comparison.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
NSW definitely already has enough copies to start doing this right away.

Also I personally prefer NTSC, like unreon it's what I play at home.

YES.

Surgi

Smash Journeyman
Shadow Temple, trying to find the mirror shield
I think it would be a cool new experience thats all. I am personally miffed as to how to tell the difference without studying gameplay and such. Is there something on the disc that shows you what version? If I don't, where might I get my hands on a copy?

kupo

Smash Lord
You'd have to be extremely lucky to find any version before 2.0. The fixes aren't drastic...but to each his own.

Edit in response to below:
Could've sworn it was 2.0 >_>

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I found a truckload of used NTSC 1.2 Melee at a GameStop in San Francisco with the French crew. SO cheap. I should bring back a swag next time I'm there.

Surgi

Smash Journeyman
Shadow Temple, trying to find the mirror shield
You'd have to be extremely lucky to find any version before 2.0. The fixes aren't drastic...but to each his own.
Oh ok wow ****. Hmm, maybe have to see what I can find. If there is anyone with a copy I would like to buy it. I really dont see the differences between 1.2 and 1.0 and such except for minor glitch fixes.

Lulz @ Cao's comment about the swag ^_^ Aussie pride :p

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Still, if the Americans can play with mixed 1.0-1.2 for this long, I don't see why it should be an issue for us.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
could just have 1 or 2 ntsc tvs at tourneys
and if both players agree they play on ntsc instead

or have it other way around

kupo

Smash Lord
I found a truckload of used NTSC 1.2 Melee at a GameStop in San Francisco with the French crew. SO cheap. I should bring back a swag next time I'm there.
Bring us a bunch of Freeloaders too.

Take note that the earlier Gamecubes can read freeloaders and the newer ones cant (I think. At least my friend who bought her GC later couldnt load it].

Unless someone can prove the above is wrong :<.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Must be an extremely early version of the freeloader then. I bought my cube literally a year before the Wii's release, freeloader works fine with it.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
You only need 1 freeloader (the newest one, shared amongst consoles) for it to work with all the Cubes and Wiis.

Jupz

Smash Master
I've never played NSTC - I love melee and I want to get it to see the difference. I voted no because I practice on PAL, but that may be a bad decision because I'll get NSTC soon anyway and Fox is better in NSTC.

I don't really mind but I'd prefer NSTC only. if you can get it with a hacked wii thats great, how do you get it? Do you need a freeloader? :(

Dekar289

Smash Hero
pal gamecube/wii

you put in freeloader
you take out freeloader

now you can put ntsc game in gamecube/wii and it will work

jupz you can hack wii so it will play melee ntsc burnt onto a dvd
no freeloader needed

Alzi

Smash Master
Don't even play melee but i am voting no.

We live in a PAL region we play the game that was designed for our PAL region. We don't want to copy americans in every way.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Yeah, cause they totally went "hmm, PAL players are more laid-back, so they might not like Marth having a spike, let's take it out" when considering changes. >.>

We live in a time where technology no longer restricts us to play our own region's games, we can play whatever version we like most, why would we choose to play a version just because we're "supposed" to play it?

And why not copy America? They're better than us in every way when it comes to Smash.

ughhhhhhhhh

/rant

Dekar289

Smash Hero
alzi
e_alert is right

and you're post is made especially fail byt the fact that you don' even play melee
but you're voting

and e_alert's above point shows that even if you did play melee
you shouldn't be voting
because you clearly don't understand... anything

Atticus

Smash Journeyman
My copy at home is NTSC too, I spend a lot of time playing it, and there are things I like more about it. However,
- Most of the changes in PAL have been positive for balance (lol sheik)
- Australian tournaments have ran PAL for years just fine
- We're a PAL territory and most of our players have PAL, even if the more vocal players on smashboards don't

Copying America because they're better than us is silly. Europe is also better than us and they play PAL. Even if that wasn't the case, it's not relevant at all.

To me consistency is the important thing. If we do switch, it's gotta be used in all our tournaments and used in all the setups.

S.D

Smash Master
could just have 1 or 2 ntsc tvs at tourneys
and if both players agree they play on ntsc instead

or have it other way around
Sweet :D this should be one fully sick as thing. Ntsc tourneys and Pal tourneys and hybrids and...and... *implodes*
At the last BOOST we had NTSC on the main recording setup, and PAL elsewhere. This worked well. I don't know about it as a standard, but I feel that as long as both players agree then there should be no problem. Of course you'll get situations where people will prefer PAL for certain MU's etc... hmm.. I vote yes anyway :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom