• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[NSW] Hunter Valley Smash - Back in business!

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
Sure, we play to win, but we also play for fun (at least I do). Winning a game through release grabs isn't fun to do, or fun to watch.

10melees
Ah, release grabs, the bane of my happiness. (happy ness?)

I think it's clear people who play Meta Knight yet know nothing about who Meta Knight actually is are of the play to win mentality. =P

Toby.

Smash Master
Yeah, I hate it when I get so much soap on my hands that its just impossible to do anything. Good thing its never happened when I was about to play melee or somesuch.

ah ted, you're the lols.

...Perhaps they are just taking a break to focus on studies, etc?

Jazz77vivi

Smash Journeyman
Playing to win is far from why me and my bros play smash, lol

i can do chaingrabs, but i don't because they're cheap (lulz)

I did play as Meta Knight in the past, but only cause he looked cool. once i found out how gay he is in the game, i stopped.

And i DO NOT EDGE-HOG.... EEEEVVVEEERRRR!!!! If i edge-hog you, it's an accident, i swear.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
No one is forcing tcranter to use pokemon trainer. Marth doesn't grab release everybody.
To top it off, Toby completely abuses a humongously detrimental bug Marth has whenever we play. Just because it's more subtle than a grab release doesn't mean that I'm not always getting ****ing ***** by a stupid bug.

planetstereo

Smash Ace
Speaking of playing to win has anyone heard from hornsby or the gong lately? they seem to have disappeared from smashboards
Im still here, just taken to lerking a bit, partly because i have nothing good to say, but mostly because my dad blackmailed me into not playing smash. Its kind of a sad story, but i reckon that ill be back in the scene in a few months, maybe.

I miss Wollongong, they were cool
AWW thanks man, i reckon my snake is better now btw

Truth is wollongong ppl had a bit of a falling out, or at least tkls and i did.

tkls

Smash Apprentice
yeah, im around...
Did the crews happen at the last tourney?
I think that wollongong is pretty much gone from that lol.
I got better things to do than play smash these days really

isthattim?

Smash Ace
As for Crews, disappearance of hornsby and gong crew combined with unwillingness of fake scars crew to travel means that it is a lost cause.

In its place an epic single day crew tournament may be organised instead, this will be easier to organise and will still be a lot of fun. ATM, the basic setup of this tournament will be crews and friendlys only.

Those of you who have already given me money have not been forgotten

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
jazz77vivi gets max respect for following Canberra rules, shaya on the other hand... theres nothing to say.
I'm finally going to be playing MGS4 after waiting so long tomorrow so I expect that to somehow make me better with snake.
and we should have a tournament called the return of Wollongong where they show up and it turns out they were making stuff up and have actually been playing nonstop and are now like best in aus. (training for 12 hours a day)

also my day was very good thanks tim, sleeping all day is awesome

planetstereo

Smash Ace
yeah, im around...
Did the crews happen at the last tourney?
I think that wollongong is pretty much gone from that lol.
I got better things to do than play smash these days really
you ran off and didnt pay me the $20 dollars you owed for crew matches at teds. I had to scrape the bottom of my pockets just to get home.....

jazz77vivi gets max respect for following Canberra rules, shaya on the other hand... theres nothing to say.
I'm finally going to be playing MGS4 after waiting so long tomorrow so I expect that to somehow make me better with snake.
and we should have a tournament called the return of Wollongong where they show up and it turns out they were making stuff up and have actually been playing nonstop and are now like best in aus. (training for 12 hours a day)
Second best, behind ACT ;)

idontgottaname

Smash Apprentice
look, im really sorry. i honestly was ****ed that day, just completely out of it. ill give you the money if i can get it to you, and sorry.

Zero

Smash Hero
In its place an epic single day crew tournament may be organised instead, this will be easier to organise and will still be a lot of fun. ATM, the basic setup of this tournament will be crews and friendlys only.

FUND IT.

My day was great, besides having to leave Sydney early. 5 hour solo train trips aren't that fun. Also got some ideas for smash events. One that'll be most likely to occur is a tournament in the July Genesis period for all the people that aren't going. It'll be most likely hosted in Sydney and will cover both games. It'll most probably be at whatever location Ted can find for his tournaments, due to ease of organisation and built trust. Also a June Hunter tournament is plausible. Comments?

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
FUND IT.

My day was great, besides having to leave Sydney early. 5 hour solo train trips aren't that fun. Also got some ideas for smash events. One that'll be most likely to occur is a tournament in the July Genesis period for all the people that aren't going. It'll be most likely hosted in Sydney and will cover both games. It'll most probably be at whatever location Ted can find for his tournaments, due to ease of organisation and built trust. Also a June Hunter tournament is plausible. Comments?
5 hour solo train rides are fun if you buy a psp with metal gear solid portable ops.

Zero

Smash Hero
lol I read books for the way so it wasn't too bad. Catching up on literature is something I've been needing to do for years now. Starting my cultural reform, yay. I brought my DS but it got little attention.

S.D

Smash Master
lol I read books for the way so it wasn't too bad. Catching up on literature is something I've been needing to do for years now. Starting my cultural reform, yay. I brought my DS but it got little attention.
Good option!

I read In Cold Blood on my last train trip.

Zero

Smash Hero
I brought Nineteen Eighty Four, John Milton's Paradise Lost, Lolita and the Art of War. I struggled vehemently to read Paradise Lost, poetry is not my forte but the story is so interesting. :( So I put that down and read 1984 for the rest of the two trips. It seems a very cliche list of books to read, I know, but they're great.

S.D

Smash Master
Who cares? The classics are the best!

I have Lolita sitting at home waiting to be opened along with On the Road, The Red Badge of Courage and some assorted Dickens among others.

No substitute for being well read :)

Oh and **** Paradise lost, it's a chore XD

ComboTurtle

Smash Lord
Who cares? The classics are the best!

I have Lolita sitting at home waiting to be opened along with On the Road, The Red Badge of Courage and some assorted Dickens among others.

No substitute for being well read :)

Oh and **** Paradise lost, it's a chore XD
reading is for ******s imo

Toby.

Smash Master
I like to read =)

I'm reading my way through the works of Haruki Murakami at the moment. On the side I'm reading A Clockwork Orange as well.

I've been meaning to read On The Road sometime soon as well.

S.D

Smash Master
You should try some Mishima Toby, too bad I can't read foreign stuff in its original form but translations just have to do i guess.

Haven't had time for reading outside of research material lately :(

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
I just finished reading magician by Raymond E. fiest again. good book,
also eragon and the rest of the books in that series are some of the best books I've ever read, ironically though eragon is THE worst movie I've ever seen.
how do you **** it up that bad.

Zero

Smash Hero
Neh, I'd attribute his success to his parent's owning a publishing company. Although being a prodigy, his command of language and storytelling ability is really no greater than an eloquent Year 12 or university student. But yeah, the movie was total ****.

Toby.

Smash Master
Yeah Sam I really wish I could read them in the original language. Whilst the translations are really great, you still lose the authenticity of the novel when its not really the words they wrote to begin with.

I think I might have a look for something by Mishima tomorrow.

S.D

Smash Master
Yeah Sam I really wish I could read them in the original language. Whilst the translations are really great, you still lose the authenticity of the novel when its not really the words they wrote to begin with.

I think I might have a look for something by Mishima tomorrow.
Agreed.

Even Tolstoy and Dostoevsky and the like lose something in the translation, maybe I just need to learn to read a bunch of new languages, it would make for an interesting comparison.

Yukio Mishima was a really interesting guy. Lived and died with the mentality of a Samurai - Seppuku and all that jazz.

I'd recommend Acts of Worship, it's broken into seven short stories but that was his best form.

Zero

Smash Hero
maybe I just need to learn to read a bunch of new languages, it would make for an interesting comparison.
This. Language is a fantastic thing to delve into, my Japanese teacher has certainly sparked an interest in it and I wouldn't be surprised if I end up learning many languages just for the sake of it.

Toby.

Smash Master
Sigh language barriers.

When you mentioned Mishima I went and did a little background reading about him. It really made me want to check out his stuff.

And mentioning Dostoevsky reminds me that I still need to finish Memoirs from the House of The Dead. Gah so many books, so little time before I go senile.

Smash is such a waste of time.

I want to learn a bunch of languages. I figure once I have my teaching degree I can go teach in other countries and learn the language there. That would be great!

Zero

Smash Hero
I want to learn a bunch of languages. I figure once I have my teaching degree I can go teach in other countries and learn the language there. That would be great!
It's a great way to live. People get paid out of the nose to teach English in foreign countries. It'd be a cruisy way of life, I think.

Smash hasn't been that much of a waste of time, I've met everyone here, and that alone is worth it. :D

S.D

Smash Master
I know a guy who lectures English across the world, he's fluent in 8 languages or something (*******).

Would be amazing, something to aim at for sure.

I have Crime and Punishment staring at me right now, I think it's mocking me for having not read it.

Zero

Smash Hero
My little tip for languages: You always have spare time to learn. Always bring a pen, paper and your learning texts with you, whether it be electronic, a PDF file on your PMP or your mobile, or a pocket text book. If you find yourself waiting for a bus, in line for an appointment or during your commute, pull it out, read and apply. Always practice and learn new words. If you're doing a low maintanence task, make up sentences within your ability, or even just outside, as that encourages development. I've found that using spare time, I've increased my development in just one language, but over years, it could, and I'd like to hope that it will result in many more.

Top Bottom