• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[NSW] Boost: REBOOT - Sunday, the 11th of September 2011

patv

Smash Journeyman
Lol yes run it on time so I can get a lift back otherwise I dunno how I get home :(

patv

Smash Journeyman
Or Alternatively, is there any room on your floor shaya? I'll help u bring back ur wii tv whatever

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Pretty sure everyone always plays 350% more friendlies than I do.

2/10 shaya, it's be more convincing if it were even close to true.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Maybe when I don't have a hang over.

Anyway I'm going to give you guys a bit of a run down of actually WHY scheduling happens like it does.

As of late a lot of people have been showing up later in the day.
Often or not by 11am we have about 10 people at the venue tops.

I hope you guys understand that the bowling alley expects people to be there, and to make money. In general they expect $200 to be spent (i.e. venue fee + food) at least. This is where the painful situation comes in.

No one shows up until "when they feel like it" or really late. Before hand there is little to no people there, as a good half of the total entrants of the day are late.
I can't really "punish" these people for being late by running the tournament and them just not being able to participate, I'm stuck in a situation where if no one actually pays (which hell, would you pay anything if you showed up 2 hours late and I said "sorry, you're too late"?) then we'll lose the venue and lose our ability to run tournaments on a regular basis full stop.

I don't like being in that position, I don't want to have to be like okay guys, we have 10 people in this tournament who are on time, but there's going to be NO POT AT ALL because I need to make sure the venue doesn't stop allowing us to run tournaments.

So I keep forcing back starting times so more people can arrive. So there are actual POTS for tournaments and so I can actually GIVE money to the venue.

But with the ever worsening habits of people showing up like it is, I don't really think I'll be able to continue running tournaments anyway. I don't like wasting my time twiddling my thumbs waiting for people to show up to have me be out till 11pm every tournament.

This effects a lot of people, especially those travelling from out west.
But what can I do? People want tournaments right?
People like the venue we're in right?

I don't know, I'm willing to hear suggestions or thoughts. But fact of the matter is, if we don't have about 20 people at each tournament, at least on time, at this rate I'm just going to have to stop running them.
I dislike being called a bad TO, so I'd rather just stop.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
FFFFFFF

...for the record, I was only referring to the point about me, and I was joking at that...

I hope this lecture isn't my fault. :(

I will say this though: I know for a fact people are less motivated to get to tourneys on time because "lol they always start late anyway" (this includes me, not gonna lie). So hopefully that'll provide a bit of perspective; I'm definitely willing to change my attitude to getting to these things on time, at least for the time being.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Ah ok, yeah I just felt kinda bad and had to make sure.

Don't worry, I read it. :)

patv

Smash Journeyman
i agree with everything you said shaya.
we probably should try and make things more formal and like a proper schedule. lets make a schedule guys.

...Ellipsis...

Smash Lord
In response to JP's post. If you ran an event where everyone was involved first then I believe more people would turn up on time. Why would I bother turning up to sit around doing nothing while the amateur bracket is on? Aside from this tournaments are good, keep running them.

zApollo

Smash Ace
But with the ever worsening habits of people showing up like it is, I don't really think I'll be able to continue running tournaments anyway. I don't like wasting my time twiddling my thumbs waiting for people to show up to have me be out till 11pm every tournament.
I am hoping that this tourney doesn't start late like the last time I flew over. I felt really disappointed having to leave for my flight in the middle of the tourney when I had originally planned to leave after according to the proposed schedule. Lets hope this time the routine will be a little more strict and efficient in time.

I really enjoyed the last boost I went to, but this time I'd like to be able to stay the whole length until it finishes! Keep the good job going Shaya.

Nova

Banned via Warnings
I am the worst TO ever.
"Where is he, why ISN'T HE PLAYING HIS MATCH, THE BEACH?????"
"He's In the toilet"
"K, dq'd"

Also, I'm always early for Syd tourneys, lol.
Need to go to another one. :/

zApollo

Smash Ace
I am the worst TO ever.
"Where is he, why ISN'T HE PLAYING HIS MATCH, THE BEACH?????"
"He's In the toilet"
"K, dq'd"

Also, I'm always early for Syd tourneys, lol.
Need to go to another one. :/
No wonder we always seem to finish on time here :p, even with 1-2 TVs at a time.

patv

Smash Journeyman
Shaya, as a last resort, can I sleep on ur floor? That's IF the tourney finishes late, cos I wudnt have Bryte to get me home since he can have only one under 21 passenger. Unless apollo is over that age? :)

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
In response to JP's post. If you ran an event where everyone was involved first then I believe more people would turn up on time. Why would I bother turning up to sit around doing nothing while the amateur bracket is on? Aside from this tournaments are good, keep running them.
This has been an issue before the amateur bracket.
Melee events are meant to start at around the same time as that brawl bracket.

Top Bottom