• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[NSW] Boost: REBOOT - Sunday, the 11th of September 2011

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
YEAH NO TOBY, YOU ***.

yeah i'll probably run amateur bracket first thing I do.

Generally scheduling will be something like

1. Amateur Bracket Brawl Singles / Melee Singles (or doubles?)
2. Brawl Doubles / Melee Singles
3. Brawl Singles

Rad

Smash Ace
Pools > Normal Bracket > Amateur Bracket

I might get further in an Amateur Bracket but to me it's all about versing the more experienced players. What happened last tourney? I beat two of the scrubby new guys then lost to patv and iKill who I'm (no complaint) always versing. Closer matches or not, I'd much rather get frustrated at Meteor Master's Sonic and then be cleanly three stocked by Tedeth (on my counterpick) than have a few more close games with patv's Diddy.

This is all personal opinion of course, but

BRING BACK POOLS :(

(then put me in the hardest pool)

iKiLLOTz

Smash Journeyman
Pools > Normal Bracket > Amateur Bracket

I might get further in an Amateur Bracket but to me it's all about versing the more experienced players. What happened last tourney? I beat two of the scrubby new guys then lost to patv and iKill who I'm (no complaint) always versing. Closer matches or not, I'd much rather get frustrated at Meteor Master's Sonic and then be cleanly three stocked by Tedeth (on my counterpick) than have a few more close games with patv's Diddy.

This is all personal opinion of course, but

BRING BACK POOLS :(

(then put me in the hardest pool)
So what im getting from this is that You would rather get your *** handed to you by someone good then vs people around the same level as you and win?

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
Did someone say DEATH POOLS?... oh I did? Just now? Rightio then.

I'm sorry if you get frustrated with the way I play Sonic, Rad. It's probably Ness main instinct to be as merciless against a Marth as possible. =/
Would be happy to give you some tips for both the Sonic and Ness matchup if you're ever after them. :)

EDIT: ikill, I believe what Rad is trying to say is, if he wants to further improve himself as a player, he'd much rather face more experienced players who more or less have a better understanding of what works and what doesn't etc, maybe pick up on those skills and learn first hand what the boards and the amateur bracket probably can't teach you.
Did I get it right Rad? :dizzy:

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
I actually didnt mind the Amateur bracket. I got more smash to play xD. As for playing good players, I could be making a biased opinion on this since i mostly have the chance to play ricky.

I wish I was good with pika :< I tried picking up but he failed immensely.

...Ellipsis...

Smash Lord
I played against pikachu today, there was a lot of running away and spamming and general cheapness, it was not fun. That's my story
:057:

Rad

Smash Ace
As Meteor Master says, it's not always about winning.

Hosting an Amateur Bracket separates the most skilled players from the least skilled players. What's the fastest way to get better? Verse the best people you can while trying the best you can. Hosting an Amateur Bracket just widens the gap.

Let's face it, I'm the most hopeless player in the entire NSW scene right now - getting better is my #1 priority.

10selfishmustgetbetters

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
last tournament the normal bracket was meant to have ALL players in it.

Due to time I cut it down to top 5.

Hopefully that wouldn't happen next time around... but amateur bracket I think is a really good thing that should stay for a while.

swordsaint

Smash Master
As Meteor Master says, it's not always about winning.

Hosting an Amateur Bracket separates the most skilled players from the least skilled players. What's the fastest way to get better? Verse the best people you can while trying the best you can. Hosting an Amateur Bracket just widens the gap.

Let's face it, I'm the most hopeless player in the entire NSW scene right now - getting better is my #1 priority.

10selfishmustgetbetters
Respect your enthusiasm and drive.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Also I see tons of players who never improve (and I say that in a round about way... they keep a constant distance away from the people they play; they don't bridge the gap as others improve), even after getting brutalised by the best players over and over and over again.

Improvement comes from the mind first, then from practice; and by the "mind" I mean a ****ton of research, a ****ton of understanding how things work, etc etc. "Amateur" players should get the opportunity to play both similar levelled and better players. But I'm sure a player can vastly improve without being apart of the "normal" bracket.

If you're playing against me or ted and have no idea why you're losing then there's a problem, and you're not going to improve.
A lot of players in the scene aren't even overly competent with their characters yet. Hell even I know there's a million things I can do to improve my Marth personally.
And knowing how to improve is required before you can. It doesn't come magically unless you're talented; and even then you're going to get a huge shock and hit a wall if you don't even know things like angling your shield, platform cancelling, spacing, mix ups, etc etc.

Read zxv's interview recently in relation to all the questions about how he improved.
Do you do that?
Do you put in the work he did in so many ways?
He entered the smash scene ready to improve with a large and rich base of knowledge to go from.
What zxv did was exactly what I DID continuously and tirelessly up until July of last year. There's no cheap way out from just playing some good players and getting face rolled over and over.

...Ellipsis...

Smash Lord
I like my method of improvement of just waiting for Toby to research it, or telling me what to do. I'm too busy to look it up myself. :036:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
You get what's needed,
"you're doing this wrong"
"huh?"
"HERE YOU TWIT"
"OOOOHHH"

But you only understand the "here" because toby taught you all the lingo, terms, etc etc for you to actually get it.

Toby.

Smash Master
Liam you're a bad person.

I think that the Amateur bracket is really useful. It's going to help more than only having a normal bracket because almost all the good players will sandbag to conserve energy anyway.

Shaya makes a good point about improvement. To back up his point, let me say some things about stuff.

If I really want to help somebody improve, this is the format I tend to favour:

1. Play them with a variety of characters to get a feel for their skill level and bad habits.
2. Isolate 1 or 2 things for them to focus on. 1 should be a bad habit to stop, and the other should be an option that I was them to become better at punishing.

In Rad's case, his bad habit would probably be over committing to (forward) aerials. So I'd get him to force himself to retreat aerials more and avoid excessive fair.

The habit he should punish would be people landing into shield, specifically when they frequently air dodge into the ground. This is a common reflex among mid level players.

3. Play them again, intentionally adopting the habit that I've taught them to punish. Punish them if they don't fix their own habit.
4. Then get them to play people of their own skill level to further develop the lesson. Continuing the case of Rad, I'd get him to play iKill. The snake matchup forces marth to be super safe with his aerials, and Aaron has a personal habit of airdodging into shield.

Quickly watching a few friendly matches would yield further people with similar habits to practice on.

FINALLY, and most importantly: stuff like this only really works if you then go on to play a bunch of people (in tournament conditions!) you stand a chance against. There's no way Rad could apply these concepts to a match against somebody like Tedeth, because non perfect spacing will result in rapid death. The odds of a low level player actually understanding what is happening to them (and retaining that information, whilst desperately trying to avoid getting 3 stocked) are slim.

Baby steps. I'm tired.

Rad I hope you don't think I'm picking on you :c

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=10962970&postcount=20583

Party at my house.
Ricky's invited.
But he's too drunk to do anything about it.

5pm coffees.
they're so amazing.

Scott says (12:21 AM):
hey ****, is there a way to turn down that what is love song
Scott says (12:22 AM):
here i am trying to read smashboards and listen to music
Shaya says (12:22 AM):
LOOOOOL
Scott says (12:22 AM):
and I get gayed by this stuff
spoil sport, tbh.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Ricky drunk? Hahaha

PS: Shaya you are a massive ****** for embedding music and ****ing up my tunes.

Top Bottom