• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atlantic North [Nov 8, 2014] SypherPhoenix's Boosted Biweeklies! - Northern VA (Fairfax, VA, USA)

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
Is anyone playing this week? I can't drive cause my car is ****ed up but I'd like to see you all again before I (possibly) leave for good.

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
MDVA, I'm not hosting the PR tournament. With school starting and a bunch of other life **** going on, it's just too stressful. I'm probably not going to be restarting PR tournament stuff any time soon. The lack of support and motivation from the community is really killing my ability to host ****. I can't run a 30/40-man tournament right now.

For what it's worth, I'll continue to keep track of tournament results and maybe I'll release an objective PR someday.

We need to start helping each other get better. Players need to start asking for help and start giving advice. Better players should offer help to lesser players, and vice versa. People are good at different things and we need to talk about gameplay. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this community who recognizes the mistakes and predictability and wrong choices that players better than me often make. I want people to not be afraid of criticizing people better than them and to not keep things to yourself when you're ****** someone. If you're reading all their techs, you need to tell them that. If they're spotdodging, you need to tell them when they're doing it. You need to tell them that they always double jump to fake out and that they don't mix up their dashdances enough, or that they fall through platforms predictably. Tell others that they're using the wrong moves to approach or doing things that don't work in the situation.

Ask people what you should do in 'that' situation. Ask players how you can get around what they're doing and how you can follow up your combo better. Ask what the best options are for punishing that mistake and what is absolutely counterable.

Stop hiding your strategy from others and start getting better at this game. If you notice something, stop abusing it for twenty matches and start telling them what the **** they're doing wrong.

That is all.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
I always feel awkward giving advice when it isn't asked for.

I feel like most of the players in this region aren't really receptive to it, either because they don't want to hear it or (more common) because they don't absorb it very well while playing.

I also don't want to seem out of line in critiquing the better players since I can't beat anyone in tournament...

The last issue is that sometimes I feel like the only (other?) analytical smasher in our entire community is Mahone

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
I feel the same way, Winston. I'm very analytical but I tend to keep it to myself. Most of my studying and practicing is done in private these days. /shrug

I don't know how to strategy. I see empty space and control how much space is empty. I fill it with turnips

BadKids

Smash Rookie
I was planning on going to Bones0 last Friday, sadly I couldn't get off work. I just recently started looking into the smash community, but I have yet to attend any smashfests or tournaments. I live in a Annapolis so I feel like I'm in pretty good region, and I really want to start playing more often and get better. Whens your next smash fest Sypher? could probably read a few pages back to find out, but its late and I'm tired.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
^ If we had fests at College Park would you come?

I'll extend that question to everyone from VA as well, I guess. Sypher's has definitely been overbooked for some time now.

I know Wenbo tried to get something going two weeks ago and nobody ended up coming. Is there any interest? I think Bones and Vist appreciate that CP is ~40 minutes closer to them than Syphers is.

BadKids

Smash Rookie
This sounds GREAT. I will DEF come to CP Sundays, Tuesdays and Fridays. If you can give me the date a week or so in advanced, I can get off work and come anytime.

Crescent Monkey

Smash Apprentice
I would go, I keep wanting to go to stuff, but I keep forgetting to check this site to see when stuff is coming up. I didn't even know bones was hosting anything until a day after it ended.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
i also appreciate that cp is closer and on the MD side of the beltway so traffic doesnt **** everyone QUITE so hard, and would be willing to play often of course

Alch0ol

Smash Cadet
I think I'm free to smash all week again because I'm not going to the beach anymore.
Ryan & Max: if you guys decide to go to something I would appreciate a ride because although I'm not going to the beach my sister and mom are.
*that means one less car which basically means no car
Actually My sister and mom will be taking my grandmas car so I think I'll still have one to drive

CTL17

Smash Lord
This sounds GREAT. I will DEF come to CP Sundays, Tuesdays and Fridays. If you can give me the date a week or so in advanced, I can get off work and come anytime.
Tuesdays?! Not exactly the best day for everyone. We usually smash on Fridays, although there are minor smashfests on other days when people don't have work to do. Chances are, every Friday there's smash going on. How many people go is dependent on luck.

Top Bottom