• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atlantic North [Nov 8, 2014] SypherPhoenix's Boosted Biweeklies! - Northern VA (Fairfax, VA, USA)

hot$

Smash Ace
LMAO it's going to be great. Wally Pfister (cinematographer of the Batman movies and long time collaborator of Chris Nolan) read Nolan's script for the third movie and said Nolan had done it (written an amazing script) and that "the opening scene will blow your mind".

Nolan hasn't failed me yet, I have great expectations. Course if the movie ends up disappointing we can alternate blowing up every hospital on the east coast
thumbs.. the movie guy..

For some reason, not one of Nolan's movies I like.. I don't like his style I guess... maybe I am just too narrow minded or too harsh. But I just can't get into his things

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Yes, he's a real story teller in this awful day and age of overused cgi and explosions that don't mean anything. His action is always compelling because it works toward the story and we care about his characters. I really am excited not just for The Dark Knight Rises, but every film he makes from now on. He can do no wrong at this point.

hot$

Smash Ace
Which of his movies have you seen?
I've seen both Batman's by him and Inception. The first batman was okay, the dark knight was just a headache. And inception, i didn't like. I guess I could say I wasn't a fan of the concept's of that film.

edit: also I should mention that, I've seen bits and pieces of the prestige. but not all the way through. but also that film had some weird concepts I didn't like.

I can't say he is a bad director, but I can say that I don't like his approach to film/ his style of movies. I just don't like how he does his films. "Complicated" per say. I could be overlooking all of this, but I don't know i've tried to give them each a fair shot but, still today i'm not in love with him.

Mahone

Smash Champion
Batman begins blew

The dark knight was one of the top 10 movies of all time imo

Inception is one of the most overrated movies of all time, not to say that it was bad, but i would give it like a 8.0, but everyone else ****ing lost their **** and watched it like 10 times for some reasons

hot$

Smash Ace
Batman begins blew

Inception is one of the most overrated movies of all time, not to say that it was bad, but i would give it like a 8.0, but everyone else ****ing lost their **** and watched it like 10 times for some reasons
My thing about Inception is this, I felt like he made the movie "complicated and mind twisting, mind ****ing..." which is dumb to me. Making something "overly complicated" doesn't necessarily make it good, I'm not saying I want a movie laid out in front of me with everything explained.. But I didn't enjoy how Inception was presented to me. zzzzzzzzzz

maybe I suck?

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I like movies that make me think. It wasn't thaaaat complicated anyway. I mean, it was easy to come up with theories that explained everything fairly cohesively.

hot$

Smash Ace
I like movies that make me think. It wasn't thaaaat complicated anyway. I mean, it was easy to come up with theories that explained everything fairly cohesively.
Nah I hear you, it wasn't that bad. BUT, IMO i just feel like it was "portrayed" as complicated an or "mind blowing" irritating..

MinQ

Smash Apprentice
I actually enjoyed Inception a lot. I didn't even find it mind-blowing. I thought it was well-told and had a lot of heart-wrenching parts (when the son finally finds closure and when DiCaprio recites Watanabe's previous spiel). The only part that sort of ruined it for me was at the very end when he decided to punch you in the **** with a "IS THIS ACTUALLY HAPPENING?!" cliffhanger ending.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
I've seen both Batman's by him and Inception. The first batman was okay, the dark knight was just a headache. And inception, i didn't like. I guess I could say I wasn't a fan of the concept's of that film.

edit: also I should mention that, I've seen bits and pieces of the prestige. but not all the way through. but also that film had some weird concepts I didn't like.

I can't say he is a bad director, but I can say that I don't like his approach to film/ his style of movies. I just don't like how he does his films. "Complicated" per say. I could be overlooking all of this, but I don't know i've tried to give them each a fair shot but, still today i'm not in love with him.
I didn't much care for The Prestige so I'm with you there. I like your attitude though, cause you say you might just not personally like his work as opposed to his work being straight out bad. Most people are too narrow minded to think like that. Check out Memento, it's the movie that got him well known. I'm not sure but you might like it.

Batman begins blew

You blow

Inception is one of the greatest achievements in the last decade. What piece of **** movies have you been watching?

My thing about Inception is this, I felt like he made the movie "complicated and mind twisting, mind ****ing..." which is dumb to me. Making something "overly complicated" doesn't necessarily make it good, I'm not saying I want a movie laid out in front of me with everything explained.. But I didn't enjoy how Inception was presented to me. zzzzzzzzzz

maybe I suck?
He didn't make it "overly complicated", he made a smart movie and didn't pander to the lowest common denominator of movie goers like Transformers 2 did. "OH SNAP THERE'S EXPLOSIONS AND ROBOTS FIGHT THAT MAKES IT A GREAT MOVIE LOLOLOL". But I understand some people just don't like his style, which is fine. I much prefer a movie that makes me think, where I actually care what's going to happen to the characters and gives me an ending which I can enjoy many conversations with others on what it means.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
How unfortunate how so many people just focus on special effects now. Stuff blowing up, Monumental damage...
Dude, I have to deal with people that think like that ALL the time. It's not easy being a cinephile, you gotta talk with people who just don't understand anything about movies and they think they're more credible than you are. It's one thing to like bad films, it's another when you're close minded and stupid. I ****ing hate the average movie goer sometimes.

hot$

Smash Ace
I didn't much care for The Prestige so I'm with you there. I like your attitude though, cause you say you might just not personally like his work as opposed to his work being straight out bad. Most people are too narrow minded to think like that. Check out Memento, it's the movie that got him well known. I'm not sure but you might like it.

You blow

Inception is one of the greatest achievements in the last decade. What piece of **** movies have you been watching?

He didn't make it "overly complicated", he made a smart movie and didn't pander to the lowest common denominator of movie goers like Transformers 2 did. "OH SNAP THERE'S EXPLOSIONS AND ROBOTS FIGHT THAT MAKES IT A GREAT MOVIE LOLOLOL". But I understand some people just don't like his style, which is fine. I much prefer a movie that makes me think, where I actually care what's going to happen to the characters and gives me an ending which I can enjoy many conversations with others on what it means.
Thank you thumbs, I just believe I'm not a fan of his work. I'll go with that.. But I'll look into Memento.

It was definitely higher up on the brain thinking scale, which is good. But people make it out to be this "one of a kind film that will blow you away with its high caliber make you think" which is annoying to me. But I agree, special affects are pretty lame. Michael bay is bad, (again a imo) but he just abuses them.
How unfortunate how so many people just focus on special effects now. Stuff blowing up, Monumental damage...
^

Dude, I have to deal with people that think like that ALL the time. It's not easy being a cinephile, you gotta talk with people who just don't understand anything about movies and they think they're more credible than you are. It's one thing to like bad films, it's another when you're close minded and stupid. I ****ing hate the average movie goer sometimes.
I am a fan of Tarantino my self. I like his style, i like how he adds his twist to all his movies. I love alot of dialogue, and with him there is plenty.

also i hate James Cameron for reviving 3D movies, because of him and that blue movie, every other movie today is IMAX 3D OMG

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Seb, I wanna watch a movie with you sometime just to hear you rant/rave about it afterwards. :lol:
Haha you should have seen me after I walked out of Transformers 2 :mad::mad::mad::mad:

LOL I feel like Thumbs would be THAT guy when watching a movie... <3
LOL actually I never speak during good movies, only the REALLY BAD ones. I don't like it when anyone talks during a good movie.

Thank you thumbs, I just believe I'm not a fan of his work. I'll go with that.. But I'll look into Memento.

It was definitely higher up on the brain thinking scale, which is good. But people make it out to be this "one of a kind film that will blow you away with its high caliber make you think" which is annoying to me. But I agree, special affects are pretty lame. Michael bay is bad, (again a imo) but he just abuses them.

^

I am a fan of Tarantino my self. I like his style, i like how he adds his twist to all his movies. I love alot of dialogue, and with him there is plenty.

also i hate James Cameron for reviving 3D movies, because of him and that blue movie, every other movie today is IMAX 3D OMG
<3 <3 <3

**** Michael Bay, I'll nail him to the cross. Tarantino is amazing! Glad to know you have good taste. I'm a big fan of James Cameron but I completely agree, he has RUINED everything with 3D. I ****ing hate it!!! Worst goddamn way to watch a movie. Avatar was like the single ****ing exception because it was purposefully made that way. But now all this with the Green Hornet and Resident Evil in 3D wtf!!!!!

hot$

Smash Ace
Haha you should have seen me after I walked out of Transformers 2 :mad::mad::mad::mad:

LOL actually I never speak during good movies, only the REALLY BAD ones. I don't like it when anyone talks during a good movie.

<3 <3 <3

**** Michael Bay, I'll nail him to the cross. Tarantino is amazing! Glad to know you have good taste. I'm a big fan of James Cameron but I completely agree, he has RUINED everything with 3D. I ****ing hate it!!! Worst goddamn way to watch a movie. Avatar was like the single ****ing exception because it was purposefully made that way. But now all this with the Green Hornet and Resident Evil in 3D wtf!!!!!
You're pretty awesome. But i've yet to see avatar, i refuse to watch it unless its in 1080p blu ray at my house. and i refuse to buy it on blu ray for 40 bucks.. so one day i will either borrow it, or redbox it if redbox ever gets avatar again. T_T

and yes QT is sickkkk. afk waiting on his next movie...
but I will admit to this, I am interested in batman3, curious to see how it is.

edit: the mass 3D movies is ridiculous, i'm tired of seeing them. I'm sad that the new pirates movie is in 3D... and from the look of the trailer, its relying heavily on it. ughh

KORNNNNN~

Smash Master

thumbswayup

Smash Master
You're pretty awesome. But i've yet to see avatar, i refuse to watch it unless its in 1080p blu ray at my house. and i refuse to buy it on blu ray for 40 bucks.. so one day i will either borrow it, or redbox it if redbox ever gets avatar again. T_T

and yes QT is sickkkk. afk waiting on his next movie...
but I will admit to this, I am interested in batman3, curious to see how it is.

edit: the mass 3D movies is ridiculous, i'm tired of seeing them. I'm sad that the new pirates movie is in 3D... and from the look of the trailer, its relying heavily on it. ughh
Haha Avatar is pretty great, has some problems but I think if you just want to get lost in something it's worthwhile.

I hear QT is going to make Kill Bill 3 eventually LOL

2011 broke the record for most sequels coming out ever. I think there's 27 sequels coming out this year, and most of them will be in 3D ****ing pathetic. That's another reason Nolan is amazing, he adamantly refused to shoot The Dark Knight Rises in 3D even though the studio pressured him to do so cause it would make the movie another half a billion dollars for sure. You gotta respect the true filmmakers these days that care about making a great movie instead of making a lot of money.

and **** you cafe

Mahone

Smash Champion
You blow

Lol... I gave a speech in my required public speaking class on why inception was bad.... so if you want i can lay out why it was garbage.

Tbh, inception is what stupid people use to prove they are smart. If i say i don't like it, they just assume i didn't "understand" it... well like someone else said its not that complicated.... It's like ****ing donnie darko, thats probably the SECOND most overrated move of all time, and again im not saying its bad, i actually enjoyed it.

First of all... the casting of inception was ****ing awful. They got that kid from 3rd rock from the sun that hasn't aged in like 10 years and made him like the serious sidekick that keeps the main char on track... except he looks like hes ****ing 10.... also half way through the movie he ***** that chick and no one cares.

The chick is ****ing ******** because she freaks out for like 1 minute because she IN A ****ING DREAM... and then the next minute she is bossing Leo around and acting like everything is normal and shes part of the "gang".

Leo is a ****ing joke, why did they start casting him again, he was good in Titanic and i loved him in Catch me if you can, but he sucks at the tortured soul char.

Also, mabye i was too stupid to understand this, but why didn't he just kill his wife with a gun, why did he incept her?

Also, what they did were not ****ing dreams. No one has dreams that normal, wouldn't of it been better if they had the occasional weird thing, at least it would have been more interesting, but no... once they got into the dreams everything was normal except...... gravity!!! WHOA zero grav, wht the **** its so GROUNDBREAKING what an amazing thing that no one has ever done in a movie.

I could go on but you might as well tell me why i'm ******** first. Also, i have a huge passion for movies too and was just thinking about how Oldboy is a great movie. It has really complex issues, a very interesting plot that combines mystery, action, comedy, suspense and more... along with great fights and a great twist with a very unexpected ending to all the characters.

Also... inception had its fair share of bad guys with terrible aim (expect when they hit that asian guy) and stupid explosions, so don't get on your high horse about micheal bay movies. The first transformers was exactly was it was suppose to be... a ******** action flick where you can shove handfulls of fake butter and popcorn into your mouth while not thinking, because its the only god damn break you have from your normal 9-5 and the wife and kids. And your wife just cooks chicken ever god damn day but its so ****ing dry, but instead of telling her you just glare at her all meal and think about why you married her and the hatred builds up inside of you while you reach for your glass of ****ing oj to wash down the goddamn dry chicken and then one day you just leave... you tell her you are getting the milk and she tells you to buy a bunch of other **** on your way back and for the first time in your life you eagerly agree and say you'll buy all of it and come back and do the chores because you know you're never coming back... OH GOD wtf was i saying?? oh ya.... inception sucked.

DuckPimp

Smash Ace
... because its the only god damn break you have from your normal 9-5 and the wife and kids. And your wife just cooks chicken ever god damn day but its so ****ing dry, but instead of telling her you just glare at her all meal and think about why you married her and the hatred builds up inside of you while you reach for your glass of ****ing oj to wash down the goddamn dry chicken and then one day you just leave... you tell her you are getting the milk and she tells you to buy a bunch of other **** on your way back and for the first time in your life you eagerly agree and say you'll buy all of it and come back and do the chores because you know you're never coming back... OH GOD wtf was i saying?? oh ya.... inception sucked.
loooooooooooool too funny.

im not really gonna weigh in too much on inception because it seems like too much of a hot button issue right now (for some reason)

not the best thing ive ever seen, but i thought it was good. overhyped.

****ing dry chicken makes me so angry too. we should always go to chipotle instead of kfc... :(

too bad there aint no popeyes close enough

telemaster

Chime and Twang
NNID
telemaster
movies are too long for me to watch and keep attention

except for stephen chow movies

lets talk music ;D

thumbswayup

Smash Master
lmfao although I entirely disagree with you on Inception I'll have to admit that was the funniest argument against the movie I've heard.

Yo don't mistake me, I loved the first Transformers. I said THE SECOND one was one of the worst things ever made (and it is). Oldboy *****, the twist hit me like a ton of bricks, I've never GASPED so loudly during a movie. **** FLOORED ME, a twist better than The Sixth Sense even.

About the casting, you insulted Leo so I'm going to upsmash you next set 400 times. I didn't mind Ellen Page, though I could see how you found her annoying. Joseph Gordon Levitt is awesome, you're gay for not having a man crush on him and his levitating ways. You didn't mention Ken Wantanabe, I'll assume you approved of him. Because if you didn't I'd have to kill you and bury you in Max's back yard.

And it is NOT a movie that "stupid people use to prove to be smart". There are hundreds of smarter movies than Inception, but it makes you THINK godammit, it raises questions and gives you something to discuss at the end. You know what I discussed at the end of Transformers 2? How painfully awful Megan Fox's voice is and two racist robots.

Would using 2001: A Space Odyssey to prove you are smart be better? NO BECAUSE NO ONE UNDERSTANDS THE ****ING THING. It's still a monumental film. Even if someone tried to sound all intelligent thinking they actually understand the ending (LMAO) everyone would laugh in their face.

My point is you don't use movies to make yourself "sound smart". That's a ridiculous allegation and I dunno what morons you talked to about the film. Part of me thinks you're trolling hardcore, but if you're serious I'll discuss it in person why I think the movie is great.

Mahone

Smash Champion
lmfao although I entirely disagree with you on Inception I'll have to admit that was the funniest argument against the movie I've heard.

Yo don't mistake me, I loved the first Transformers. I said THE SECOND one was one of the worst things ever made (and it is). Oldboy *****, the twist hit me like a ton of bricks, I've never GASPED so loudly during a movie. **** FLOORED ME, a twist better than The Sixth Sense even.

Oh, i didn't see the second one... ya it was probably trash. And Oldboy was MINDBENDING, not like inception, the idea was very straightforward and simple.

About the casting, you insulted Leo so I'm going to upsmash you next set 400 times. I didn't mind Ellen Page, though I could see how you found her annoying. Joseph Gordon Levitt is awesome, you're gay for not having a man crush on him and his levitating ways. You didn't mention Ken Wantanabe, I'll assume you approved of him. Because if you didn't I'd have to kill you and bury you in Max's back yard.

Lol, leo "Inception IS possible" (stares off into the sunset).... so deep... so deep. I wonder whats going on with him... hes sooo tortured. I liked everyone else so i probably liked Ken, i don't know the actors names. You didn't really address any of my points as to why they were bad, so i don't know how to respond....

And it is NOT a movie that "stupid people use to prove to be smart". There are hundreds of smarter movies than Inception, but it makes you THINK godammit, it raises questions and gives you something to discuss at the end. You know what I discussed at the end of Transformers 2? How painfully awful Megan Fox's voice is and two racist robots.

Lol, you clearly have not talked to people who are in COLLEGE. There's no way the are dumb cuz they are in college and wear a tshirt that says college and listen to i love college..... but ya there are people who use it for that. I felt like at the end of Oldboy (not to keep comparing it i know thats not the arguement but still...) i thought about the ideas in the movie for days, whereas inception i was like "it probably wasn't a dream... but mabye it was idk". Did i really care that Leo got with his kids? Not really, he was never made to be a likeable or relatable guy... just a tortured soul like every other god damn movie.. he has to do something illegal to be with his kids again.... come on you know uve seen that a million times.

Would using 2001: A Space Odyssey to prove you are smart be better? NO BECAUSE NO ONE UNDERSTANDS THE ****ING THING. It's still a monumental film. Even if someone tried to sound all intelligent thinking they actually understand the ending (LMAO) everyone would laugh in their face.

My point is you don't use movies to make yourself "sound smart". That's a ridiculous allegation and I dunno what morons you talked to about the film. Part of me thinks you're trolling hardcore, but if you're serious I'll discuss it in person why I think the movie is great.
Im not trolling, i wouldn't type this much if i was.

Mahone

Smash Champion
loooooooooooool too funny.

im not really gonna weigh in too much on inception because it seems like too much of a hot button issue right now (for some reason)

not the best thing ive ever seen, but i thought it was good. overhyped.

****ing dry chicken makes me so angry too. we should always go to chipotle instead of kfc... :(

too bad there aint no popeyes close enough
lol, glad to make you laugh out loud, we need to play more... that time with m2k was.... interesting lol

thumbswayup

Smash Master
I'd have some respect for the people that wear the shirts that say COLLEGE if they actually ****ing knew where that's from. ****ing kids these days

I said I'd explain it more in person lol too much to type. You know what **** it tomorrow's gonna suck at work I'll respond then.

Top Bottom