• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Norcal/Bay Area/DBR:NorCal Nevers: Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

sidefx

Smash Champion
somone inform me of how well or not well snake is. and please give detailed reasons. thank you
snake is very defencive. if you dont pay attention to everything, and where he puts down mines, youre ****ed. especially in teams.. every 2 seconds you would hear " what the ****. where the **** did that come from!?!" "****ing jeff!!!" "thats bull****!" hes strong too.

Gaara♥

Smash Master
the biweeklies are on a temporary(or permanent) hiatus
but usually the turn out ranges anywhere from 20-50 people... i think

Gaara♥

Smash Master
it was a rough estimate
but now that I think about it there can be a 16 man bracket and still have the room be crowded with people playing friendlies

Zoap

Smash Master
Zoap: i personally think drake sucks balls
Zoap: he uses ditto as one of his pokemon
Zoap: DITTO
Zoap: dude ditto would been awesome for brawl lol
Zoap: transform into whatever char ur opponent is
Zoap: DUDE
Zoap: DITTO DITTOES!
Dread101: HAAH
Dread101: omg
Dread101: stop peter!
Zoap: Ditto dittos would just be outrageously slow
Dread101: lol

PHIL07

Smash Journeyman
imfeelinmyself06 (7:03:02 PM): brawl doesnt have combos lucien imfeelinmyself06 (7:03:04 PM): im sorry
imfeelinmyself06 (7:03:05 PM): its over
imfeelinmyself06 (7:03:06 PM): lol
Lucien Mayo (7:03:16 PM): apparently you havent seen my wolf
Lucien Mayo (7:03:19 PM): or my toon link
Lucien Mayo (7:03:23 PM): combos for days
imfeelinmyself06 (7:03:25 PM): haha
imfeelinmyself06 (7:03:27 PM): my bad
Lucien Mayo (7:03:29 PM): my combos are so long
Lucien Mayo (7:03:35 PM): that it actually connects in between stocks imfeelinmyself06 (7:03:38 PM): haha
Lucien Mayo (7:03:40 PM): so instead of zero to death Lucien Mayo (7:03:43 PM): I have zero to games
imfeelinmyself06 (7:03:46 PM): LOL
Lucien Mayo (7:03:58 PM): and thats being humble

whiteboyninja

Smash Ace
to everyone who is concerned about brawl having combos, i would like to remind you of this video
http://youtube.com/watch?v=t0og20jIXXk
this is a video of 2 of america's 3 best smashers at the time, isai and azen. this was 2 YEARS after melee had come out. and they still hadnt figured out how to combo yet. if you notice any breathtaking combos that both azen and isai frequent these days, please point them out to me.

if it took us so long to learn how to combo in melee, dont play brawl for 40 minutes then say you cant combo in there. we will learn how.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
too bad so much of your point is irrelevant because brawl is more similar to melee than melee is similar to 64, so by default if you figure so much out of melee, it shouldn't be much more than a small extension to figure out combod in brawl.

people should really stop making posts like that.

NintendoKing

Smash Champion
/Rant

You are all stupid for thinking that you can compare the beginning of melee to the beginning of brawl. First off, melee is 100X more advanced than 64 was. Yes trying to go from a game with minimal tech skill to superb tech skill was difficult, it's no surprise that most "GOOD" players (****ing fanboys) would even have a tough time figuring out new things.

But look at brawl. Are you all that naive to think that brawl is so much more different than melee?

Melee was quick, you had the ability to change direction in any numerous of ways you chose, decrease/increase your speed on a dime, move fast enough to connect not 1,2,3, or 4 hits but a **** load more.

What is brawl? From the looks and play of it Brawl is the floaty, less maneuverable, slower cousin of melee. Sure there's some cool things you can do here and there, but I mean cmon. The game is slow and not slow in a good way. Take for instance Street Fighter 3rd Strike. The game is slow compared to most other 2D fighting games including original street fighter games, but with the addition of parrying. Now if the game was just slow.... I don't think anyone would have touched it. But look what happened when you added the revolutionary parrying mechanic, THE BEAST UNLEASHED aka Daigo woopin Justin Wong's *** hardcore by parrying blah blah blah. You get the point.

What new and revolutionary thing did brawl do? I mean really? Ok maybe you'll have to be quicker at edgeguarding seeing as how every little piece of **** is auto ledge grab now in terms of recovery, aka any noob can get back without skill. The multiple air dodge system.... yeah like we don't know what to do with that. I saw GERM trying to use the new air dodge mechanics in combat, trying to get a feel for the game. But it really didn't amount to anything. Might as well just spot dodge.

So yes brawl in some respects is like melee; the ******** second cousin version of melee. I still don't know why you kids keep on trying to compare melee to brawl in terms of "learning new things".

And Whiteboy***got you have no room to say anything you're horrible at melee and you're gonna be horrible at brawl. I'm pretty sure people don't want to listen to some kid that got 4 stocked in a tourney match by Nintendoking anyways.

Gtfo noobs. :bluejump:

SuperRad

Smash Master
Even though I WANT brawl to be the best game ever, NK/P are making good points against it. For right now, I say just have fun with it if you are playing it and if you aren't don't worry about it. This game is fun, it's new and I think it will still be competitive. I'm guessing it'll be like the jump from Halo -> Halo 2, where the game took less shooting skill to be good at but still people found a way for it to be competitive.

Basically: Who gives a ****. Either play it and have fun, or don't play it and have fun with something else.

NintendoKing

Smash Champion
There is no fun. We all know that we like smash for the competitive nature. Do you really wanna play a game that takes less skill?

No doubt the game is fun. I wouldn't play it by myself for the life of me to try and get better though cause it's that bad, but yeah have fun with your friends and play the game for all I care.

Competitively wise though, it just doesn't stack up. I still think there needs to be melee tourneys and HOPEFULLY brawl won't take over everything because of Nintendo FAnboyism. OMG SONIC! You know.

SuperRad

Smash Master
I see what you are saying NK. I actually disagree with liking smash for the competitive nature [aka i suck :)] but I do understand that people will want to play the more competitive game. And, to go back to my Halo->Halo 2 analogy, many people probably will. Halo 1 is still played by the hardcore fans of it because they consider it to be as perfect a shooter as they've found.

However, I don't expect many large melee tournaments to be hosted, unless it's a side tournament of Brawl. Maybe I'll be wrong, if our worst fears for Brawl come true and it ends up being crap, but the average player will want to play brawl in tournaments atleast for the first few months.

Sky Hazuki

Smash Apprentice
You are all stupid for thinking that you can compare the beginning of melee to the beginning of brawl. First off, melee is 100X more advanced than 64 was. Yes trying to go from a game with minimal tech skill to superb tech skill was difficult, it's no surprise that most "GOOD" players (****ing fanboys) would even have a tough time figuring out new things.
First off. No. Isai pushed the Limits of 64 way farther than anybody could have imagined. That is a disgustingly exaggerated hyperbole.

But look at brawl. Are you all that naive to think that brawl is so much more different than melee?
Really? Hehe, Yeah, It is way different. In many aspects, which I will probably end up discussing Below.

Melee was quick, you had the ability to change direction in any numerous of ways you chose, decrease/increase your speed on a dime, move fast enough to connect not 1,2,3, or 4 hits but a **** load more.
You are thinking/playing Brawl like you are in melee. Right now, that is all we have, because either we can't or we are afraid to step outside those boundaries, and think about "What Meta-games are we supposed to create for Brawl...?" So do you really think that a game needs to be as Fast as Melee to be competitive? And do you think it needs that speed to be Pushed as far as Melee was? In my opinion, Super Smash 64 was pushed much farther than Melee ever will be.

What is brawl? From the looks and play of it Brawl is the floaty, less maneuverable, slower cousin of melee. Sure there's some cool things you can do here and there, but I mean cmon. The game is slow and not slow in a good way. Take for instance Street Fighter 3rd Strike. The game is slow compared to most other 2D fighting games including original street fighter games, but with the addition of parrying. Now if the game was just slow.... I don't think anyone would have touched it. But look what happened when you added the revolutionary parrying mechanic, THE BEAST UNLEASHED aka Daigo woopin Justin Wong's *** hardcore by parrying blah blah blah. You get the point.
So then, whats to say that we can't find that technique that is going to change this game forever? The bottom line is, it isn't even out in America yet, Only some few have played it. Competitive smashers aren't going to let this game just fall through the cracks, they are going to fight to make this game competitive. Melee didn't get competitive till about 2004 yeah? That was 3 years after it's release. But now there is a standard. There is an expectation, There are gamers out there, who are going to open this package, and wavedash, just to see if it is out or not, for reals. That is the kind of Drive I'm talking about. People are going to be striving to find out new techniques, and also find out how the old ones pertain to this game.

What new and revolutionary thing did brawl do? I mean really? Ok maybe you'll have to be quicker at edgeguarding seeing as how every little piece of **** is auto ledge grab now in terms of recovery, aka any noob can get back without skill. The multiple air dodge system.... yeah like we don't know what to do with that. I saw GERM trying to use the new air dodge mechanics in combat, trying to get a feel for the game. But it really didn't amount to anything. Might as well just spot dodge.
Thats what we don't know. How can you be serious here? We haven't even had the game for like 4 months, and you are expecting something revolutionary to come out of it? No, you won't get it, it does not work like that. Just wait, somebody is going to find how to cancel a smash or something. Nothing has been discovered yet, gotta be patient. At least Germ is trying to use the Air dodging efficiently. That is a start for some Advanced Techniques.

So yes brawl in some respects is like melee; the ******** second cousin version of melee. I still don't know why you kids keep on trying to compare melee to brawl in terms of "learning new things".
People say that because in a way, this is a completely different game, therefore, there are more things to learn. However, the base concept is the same, get your opponent off the edge and kill them. But can we agree that this game isn't Melee v 2? No, it is Brawl. Nothing more, nothing less. So it is a different games. so there are more things to learn.

And Whiteboy***got you have no room to say anything you're horrible at melee and you're gonna be horrible at brawl. I'm pretty sure people don't want to listen to some kid that got 4 stocked in a tourney match by Nintendoking anyways.
I have a feeling that I'm going to get bashed like this too.

Gtfo noobs. :bluejump:
Ending Statement.
What makes a game competitive? Thank Scamp for this, Hopefully I get this last part right. It isn't about how technical you can be, it is about choices. How many different ways can I thwart my opponent? It's all about how many choices you have. Limit your self to one, and you have a single minded game, in which every character is going to be played the same, due to the lack of options you have. Make or find new ways to play, and you have your self an awesome fighter, that is going to be competitive.

I think at this point, we just need to Wait and See.
Nobody has any real answers.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
god it's so annoying to seriously waste time debating with people who have no idea what they're talking about and lack the logical capabilities to begin to back up what they're talking about, i prefer to just make fun

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
What I don't get is why people are so into telling others that they SHOULD or SHOULD NOT like Brawl. P has railed against Brawl since the time when all we had was the trailer and like 4 gameplay vids anyway so I don't see why anything he says surprises anyone.

Summary, if you don't like Brawl, STFU about it. If you do like it, don't tell the people that don't like it what they are SUPPOSED to like. There are a lot of dumb things being said on both sides but I don't see why people care enough to have the debate. I certainly don't.

Miharu

Smash Hero
What I don't get is why people are so into telling others that they SHOULD or SHOULD NOT like Brawl. P has railed against Brawl since the time when all we had was the trailer and like 4 gameplay vids anyway so I don't see why anything he says surprises anyone.

Summary, if you don't like Brawl, STFU about it. If you do like it, don't tell the people that don't like it what they are SUPPOSED to like. There are a lot of dumb things being said on both sides but I don't see why people care enough to have the debate. I certainly don't.
Thanks. People don't seem to get that.

Top Bottom