• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Norcal/Bay Area/DBR:NorCal Nevers: Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

AndyS.

Smash Cadet

We always say, "The person who won wanted it More".

Don't play with people who are horribly better than you where you don't learn anything. Play with someone just a litttttle bit better than you or a litttttle bit worse than you. You're climbing a ladder.
Can I be your apprentice, Lunin? ;)

Seriously though, I really want to get professional at this game. The problem is, I'm not even stuck in a place where mediocrity is accepted. I'm stuck in a place where I have to drive around an hour to find anyone good. Living in Marin sucks. Not just that, but I am rarely able to go the biweeklies.

I feel like I'm stuck at the point where I can't get any better unless I play someone great. Someone help my weak *** out!

AndyS.

Smash Cadet
lol, i remember looking over at isai during the ss-king match. he was like on one foot in some tribal dance pose almost about to fall over. heh, he definitely has a lot of great energy and enthusiasm. watching him ace everyone in ssb64 was great, too. gotta love it.
Speaking of which, probably the funniest part was Isai whooping my *** in SSB64.

"Come on Jigglypuff! Just get some **** damage on him!"

I get 6% when Jigglypuff gets up off the ground.

"Yeaaaaaahh!!!!"

Hey Isai: Do you play Magic competitively? I saw you playing while at the event with someone. I'll play you in some Type 2/Extended/Vintage or bring my Type 4 stack next time (hella fun if you don't know what Type 4 is... best format ever).

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
I feel like I'm stuck at the point where I can't get any better unless I play someone great. Someone help my weak *** out!
Honestly it is not COMPLETELY necessary to play someone else to get better. For a long while I played smash against computers all the time and just watched videos, and I believe it's gotten me fairly good. Even now I only play against 1 person often, and as Lunin said, playing someone who is much better and or worse than you isn't going to get you better, so I continue to play against computers, and I'm not too bad I guess, gotta work on tournaments though, haven't been placing high lately:urg: , only doing pretty good in teams, it has to be both haha:lick:

DRGN

Technowizard
Nah it wasnt because of you. I've always had trouble with Samus. When you missile camp, theres almost nothing the ICs can do. Unless you're ChuDat of course.
Yeah, that's why I chose Samus, I knew I could have her pretty much chew up the Ice Climbers; i've fought ICs with her before. ;) ..I don't know if it's already established or anything, but, does anybody know, is Samus already considered a counter to the IC? Or is there some style available to the ICs that can keep her in check, or at least allow them to deal with her much better?

Taht ditto was fun. But when I complain I joke around with it,just to let you know. I lost my patience near the end, and it cost me =p. I wanted your Samus that time lol. If you want to use YL in a tourney, try it against Peaches or Samus. YL does pretty well in those matchups.
Ah! That's exactly what I thought, that you were hoping I was going to be samus; that was my best guess at YL's pick (were you thinking I would go Samus since I chose Stadium?). Because yeah, like you said, he does well against her; Samus is just floaty enough that she really has a difficult time getting away from projectiles, and YL is nimble enough to evade a lot of Samus's attacks at the same time. Peach also does not fare very well against YL, but to a lesser amount I think.

LunInSpectra

Smash Lord
stackoverflow.com/users/1459556/rey-gonzales
wow lunin thats a fantastic post!
in response to karthik asking why i dont aim high is because i devote enough of my life to becomming decent at smash as it is. if i spent enough time smashing to get to the top before brawl comes out, i wouldnt have much time for anything else. i know that smash isnt at all anti social and that i really have made a lot of friends smashing, i still have other things to do...like homework...
but yeah i've been having a real boost in skill level. people who were about my skill level 2 weeks ago no longer give me a lot of problems. people who crushed me just a month ago now seem to be forced to actually try. a lot of things are going my way...and i certainly would love to see myself consistantly winning a cupple matches at the biweeklies. however, i outright lack some of the thing the pro's have that make them better than everyone else. all i would have in my favor is hard work and practice and the desire to be good. unfortunatly, as i said earlier, it isnt enough to put me to, say, lunin or spectre's level and im OK with that. i would LOVE to be a real presence at the biweeklies, though...and this is slowly becomming a reality!
Anybody who likes to read & wants to get better at smash should read this book:

Think & Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill

Just replace anything that has to do with money for Smash Skills in the book. For example:

"To gain a life full of wealth, a man must dwell upon ways of achieving it".

"To gain a life full of Smash Skills, a man must dwell upons ways of achieving it".

It talks about desire, creative thought, obsessions, how to gain it, --pretty much everything you need to know. If anyone reads it or is INTERESTED in reading it, tell me.

Dread101

Smash Journeyman
This is just my opinion but i dont agree with the u should play someone ur skill level or about the same to get better. To me playing someone a lot high then ur skill level is more helpful. For example, i got the chance to go up against bob$ this weekend. Now i got the **** beat out of me i mean probably 4 stocked 2 or 3 times(probably more) And i dont think i got more then 2 stock off hes dr.mario but i did beat him once marth vs marth yes!!! But the point is i saw him do things with dr.mario that id never really seen before and that none of my friends can do and even tho i did get whooped i felt like i made a little improvement every match. And dont get me wrong ive probably made the most improvement playing with boo and practicing alone. But i just think when go u against someone u know is better then u it truly challenges u and forces u to put everything u have out there. And im not at all discrediting wat lunin said early and since lunins a wayyyyyy better smasher then i am id probably take hes advice over mine but hey just wanted to throw my 2 cents in there

Snap

Smash Ace
i never play anymore i think i may stop going to the tournaments altogether. i dont really mind if my skills get washed away because college is really important and right now it's really hard.

i finally know what it's like to really struggle with school.

ProdigyKid

Smash Lord
i never play anymore i think i may stop going to the tournaments altogether. i dont really mind if my skills get washed away because college is really important and right now it's really hard.

i finally know what it's like to really struggle with school.
Keep working hard Snap. I know how you feel. This next NCB might be my last for a while, cause Computer Science is just a biznatch. And luckily classes wont start until the 21st. Yay for quarters!

Afro Justin

Smash Journeyman
my computer science > your computer science... most digipen students drop out before junior year. However, there is always time for smash!

Zoap

Smash Master
lies the snap will still be too good, i wont let him dwindle away even wit all of his incredibly long named classes

whiteboyninja

Smash Ace
This is just my opinion but i dont agree with the u should play someone ur skill level or about the same to get better. To me playing someone a lot high then ur skill level is more helpful. For example, i got the chance to go up against bob$ this weekend. Now i got the **** beat out of me i mean probably 4 stocked 2 or 3 times(probably more) And i dont think i got more then 2 stock off hes dr.mario but i did beat him once marth vs marth yes!!! But the point is i saw him do things with dr.mario that id never really seen before and that none of my friends can do and even tho i did get whooped i felt like i made a little improvement every match. And dont get me wrong ive probably made the most improvement playing with boo and practicing alone. But i just think when go u against someone u know is better then u it truly challenges u and forces u to put everything u have out there. And im not at all discrediting wat lunin said early and since lunins a wayyyyyy better smasher then i am id probably take hes advice over mine but hey just wanted to throw my 2 cents in there
i think you're actually both correct. what lunin says about playing someone around your skill level and climbing a ladder over eachother is how i got my start. I have numerous people in my neighborhood interested in smash, but started off at the complete noob level (rolling and smashing). i learned about the high level of play via videos and guides, and began to practice them. during this time, my skill level went down as i throw out baddly aimed ariels with poor l canceling and got punished badddly. however, as my ability grew, i started to outgrow said friends. they were forced to learn the higher level stuff to keep up with me, which theystarted to do. however recently ive been going to NCBs and playing with people above my skill and have since skyrocketed ahead of them.

i guess my point to all that is your fundamental learning needs to come from someone ahead of you. you need someone better than you to show you what you need to do. practicing these at first is best done on someone around your skill level in a low pressure environment, and then to be tested on someone slightly higher level than you to see how you need to improve on it.

unfortunatly, beyond what i have learned, i am starting to need more high end people familiar to train with if my imrpovement is to stay so consistantly noticiable. of course i can just practice what i know and go to NCBs and get some experience there, but i wont have the explosive growing that i have been experiencing recently.

and of course lunin's advice is good. people who know how to get rich know how to do a lot of things. and whoever pointed out that whoever wants it enough is likely to get it.

so at this point im actually looking for a bit of a mentor of sorts. bryant, AKA bluu, has really been helping out my smash level. however, i think if my smash growth is to continue at this level, i need to train under someone who has a more wide range of experience. bryant has only had hard training with a few people, and i need some occasional training with someone of a more universal understanding to add to what i've got going with bryant. if anyone is willing to help out, let me know! ive got a car and i'll travel for smash if need be :cool:

LunInSpectra

Smash Lord
Nothing inside, nothing outside, at least that you can see. I'm as light as a feather, yet ten men can't lift me! What am I?

^^^^
Riddle

For some clarification, you can LEARN from someone way better then you, but PLAYING them in an actual match won't help you any good unless they are very verbose. ...I hope you get the idea, I can do a lot more explanation but you guys gotta practice using your brain (the source of your mindgames)

mcc

Smash Ace
Nothing inside, nothing outside, at least that you can see. I'm as light as a feather, yet ten men can't lift me! What am I?

^^^^
Riddle
that's impossible. nothing outside it that you can see? is this something in real life? or does "nothing" or "outside" or "see" have a different definition? or is this in a lightproof box?

but i can think of one that works for the 2nd sentence on the riddle :p

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
Speaking of which, probably the funniest part was Isai whooping my *** in SSB64.

"Come on Jigglypuff! Just get some **** damage on him!"

I get 6% when Jigglypuff gets up off the ground.

"Yeaaaaaahh!!!!"

Hey Isai: Do you play Magic competitively? I saw you playing while at the event with someone. I'll play you in some Type 2/Extended/Vintage or bring my Type 4 stack next time (hella fun if you don't know what Type 4 is... best format ever).

Isai and I were playing Magic using my split emperor deck (1 deck, 2 ppl)

Nekurbis86

Smash Journeyman
ahHH!!!

^^^^
Riddle

HEyy iS IT A CLOUD?!?!?!?!? XDDDDDDD LOL SIsiIStSITS !>>!>!?!?!

=S

LunInSpectra

Smash Lord
The answer is:

Your Self-Esteem!

No self-esteem inside, outside, at least that you can see. Its as light as a feather and 10 men can't bring it up.

Lol I'm jk its a bubble (art you cheater).

Dude my rep is 33 points right now, what is the value of an extra green box? 100 points? Just interested.

Zoap

Smash Master
lol i only have 13 points -.-, thx to all that were too cool on my bday. And Justin and Kurtis dont feel bad about it you guys are too good.

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
the more you have the more you give to other people its like STDs.

LunInSpectra

Smash Lord
LoL Rep = 26 now. Someone negative repped me, now I'm gonna unleash my secret monster on them :: Simna. He's gonna first grab you, spin you around like a chainball, throw you into the garbage, pick you up, bite your shoes off, throw your shoes out of the CS room out of McQuarrie Hall, pick you up, put you in his MLG Anaheim Bag, drag you to the ocean, throw you in the ocean, get your shoes and throw them into the ocean with you, and scream, "NEGATIVE REP LUN AND THIS IS WHAT YOU GET!!!!".

Be very afraid.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Rep = stupid. I never paid attention to it, yet I had like 8th highest at one point, before everyone in the Broom posted in a thread and gave each other crazy rep. I stayed out of that one, and now I'm one of the least-repped Broomers. Bah.

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
Rep = stupid. I never paid attention to it, yet I had like 8th highest at one point, before everyone in the Broom posted in a thread and gave each other crazy rep. I stayed out of that one, and now I'm one of the least-repped Broomers. Bah.
Hmm, I've never even payed attention to the other Broom, it seems like there's kind of no point to it, the smash Broom I think I'll apply for, if I still can, I saw M3D had a thread for applications for the Smash Broom and closed it saying no more applicants but I don't know. I kind of get tired of "Is Sheik Good" or "Can Fox Win Tournaments" threads, but I still answer them:cool: haha.

ZOMG (lol) 29 points now, NCB thread too good, thx guys XD.

Top Bottom