• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Norcal/Bay Area/DBR:NorCal Nevers: Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Art?

Smash Journeyman
good **** @ kurtis and mr. 9-stock for getting 4th and 5th, respectively. they're getting too good. this biweekly was quite different for me as well. not only did i much better than i usually do, but... yeah. whoever was there knows what i'm talking about.

Delphiki

Smash Champion
drgn: hey you seemed pretty good. good job beating us in teams. MAN i gotta say that jungles japes counter pick was just too funny though. it almost looked like you were going to 8 stock you guys, but you did well with your last stock each i'll admit that.

That match was sadly hilarious. If we had played like we did at the end for the whole match it would have been a lot more interesting.

DRGN

Technowizard
Gg

This will have been the first (and hopefully) last time I ever have a Young Link ditto. Ever.

And Samus stinks. Like rusted metal.
Hey those were some real fun matches though. Good games man, the first match with Samus vs. IC was just imo especially real fun. Wait, lol, I just realized.. is that why you're saying samus stinks? cuz of me? lol, ah man, i'm sorry :blush: , lol.

I personally think that ditto was really fun, your Y Link is pretty good. I sure deeply considered using him, but ****, I couldn't miss an opportunity to whip out my Y Link in a tournament, lol. :)

drgn: hey you seemed pretty good. good job beating us in teams. MAN i gotta say that jungles japes counter pick was just too funny though. it almost looked like you were going to 8 stock you guys, but you did well with your last stock each i'll admit that.
That match was sadly hilarious. If we had played like we did at the end for the whole match it would have been a lot more interesting.
hahaha, we were out like a total of 4 or 5 stock in like the first 20 seconds of the match! like two strait odd sd's by both of us, and then just your standard 'trip and fall into the water' maneuver, plus two clap traps!! that water was out for blood it was! :crazy: :rotfl:

btango

Smash Rookie
All I have to say is **** you guys are good. I came into the tournament not knowing what to expect, but after watching the screens for about ten minutes I knew was gonna get schooled in singles. At least I didn't get 8-stocked in either of my losses...

p.s. Can I use "n00b" as my gamertag, or is that one already taken? I think "1up" might be most appropriate, being that I could greatly benefit from a 1-stock handicap.

ProdigyKid

Smash Lord
Hey those were some real fun matches though. Good games man, the first match with Samus vs. IC was just imo especially real fun. Wait, lol, I just realized.. is that why you're saying samus stinks? cuz of me? lol, ah man, i'm sorry :blush: , lol.

I personally think that ditto was really fun, your Y Link is pretty good. I sure deeply considered using him, but ****, I couldn't miss an opportunity to whip out my Y Link in a tournament, lol. :)

hahaha, we were out like a total of 4 or 5 stock in like the first 20 seconds of the match! like two strait odd sd's by both of us, and then just your standard 'trip and fall into the water' maneuver, plus two clap traps!! that water was out for blood it was! :crazy: :rotfl:
Nah it wasnt because of you. I've always had trouble with Samus. When you missile camp, theres almost nothing the ICs can do. Unless you're ChuDat of course.

Taht ditto was fun. But when I complain I joke around with it,just to let you know. I lost my patience near the end, and it cost me =p. I wanted your Samus that time lol. If you want to use YL in a tourney, try it against Peaches or Samus. YL does pretty well in those matchups.

All I have to say is **** you guys are good. I came into the tournament not knowing what to expect, but after watching the screens for about ten minutes I knew was gonna get schooled in singles. At least I didn't get 8-stocked in either of my losses...

p.s. Can I use "n00b" as my gamertag, or is that one already taken? I think "1up" might be most appropriate, being that I could greatly benefit from a 1-stock handicap.
Don't worry man, just keep practicing and learning new techniques. It took me a little while before I started to win matches, but I put forth a bunch of practice over the summer and taking opportunities to up my game (ie going to OC2 and NCB). Just keep practicing man, and you'll be a force to be reckoned with.

whiteboyninja

Smash Ace
Don't worry man, just keep practicing and learning new techniques. It took me a little while before I started to win matches, but I put forth a bunch of practice over the summer and taking opportunities to up my game (ie going to OC2 and NCB). Just keep practicing man, and you'll be a force to be reckoned with.
amen to that prodigy...when i first came to the biweeklies i had played with exactly 1 high level player, and he completly destroyed me. i proceded to spend every biweekly ive been to losing more tourny matches then winning...however now i am slowly becomming a competitive player. Although im still fairly low level compared to a lot of those guys, i can feel the skill difference slowly but surely close up. Im hoping that by the time brawl comes out, i'll be mid level for the biweekly, not losing every 2nd or 3rd round. keep at it, like i have, and results will be visible.

djkarthik

BRoomer
BRoomer
3DS FC
0962-9800-7488
amen to that prodigy...when i first came to the biweeklies i had played with exactly 1 high level player, and he completly destroyed me. i proceded to spend every biweekly ive been to losing more tourny matches then winning...however now i am slowly becomming a competitive player. Although im still fairly low level compared to a lot of those guys, i can feel the skill difference slowly but surely close up. Im hoping that by the time brawl comes out, i'll be mid level for the biweekly, not losing every 2nd or 3rd round. keep at it, like i have, and results will be visible.
That's the spirit. If you put your heart to it, I don't see why you shouldn't go past that mid-level. Why not just aim for high-level? Just keep practicing, and you'll get there. Always aim high. Heh, I might be at the next biweekly, guys.

LunInSpectra

Smash Lord
stackoverflow.com/users/1459556/rey-gonzales
That's the spirit. If you put your heart to it, I don't see why you shouldn't go past that mid-level. Why not just aim for high-level? Just keep practicing, and you'll get there. Always aim high. Heh, I might be at the next biweekly, guys.

Yeah always aim high, not like Fremont. I asked everyone from Fremont whether or not they wanted to be the best...all of them accepted mediocre status. Cmon now Karthik & Friends. The only people that want to be the best actually get there. Low desire = Less chance to get to the top.

There are also factors that work against you, *cough* deep norcal *cough*. If you're one of the guys that are stuck in an area where mediocraty is acceptable then why don't you come to the good players? I feel like ranting...here's some more advice.

We always say, "The person who won wanted it More".

Don't play with people who are horribly better than you where you don't learn anything. Play with someone just a litttttle bit better than you or a litttttle bit worse than you. You're climbing a ladder.

Work on tech skill so that you are accurate with:
~Short-Hopping
~Fast-Falling EVERY AERIAL!!!!!!
~L-Cancelling (Short hop & Full hop aerials)
~Jump-Cancelled Grabbing (Unless you're a peach player)
~Your character's movement (Know how far you will be if you dash across FD for .5 seconds, how high you will be if you short hop and immediately use your second jump right after)
~Recovery

Work on your Bad Habits:
~Dodging after being tech chased *cough* almost everyone *cough*
~Shielding when someone is jumping at you
~Dash-Grabbing instead of Jump-Cancelled Grabbing
~Teching in one direction
~Crying after getting falcon punched by Jeff (Someone did)

Then work on your movement:
~Dash-Dancing
~Ledge-Dashing
~Edge-Guarding
~Ken-Dashing
~Double-Jump to Wave-Land (50% movement, 50% mindgame)
~Short hop to Wave-Land (50% movement, 50% mindgame)
~Rolling Backwards instead of dodging (Rolling > Dodging unless its used as a mindgame)
~Wave-Dashing out of the shield
~There are more but I want to move on to the next section and I just remembered I'm not writing an article.

Last work on your mindgames:
~Dash-Attacking 10 times and grabbing on the 11th
~Short hop at them and 2nd jump instead of an aerial against opponents who love the shield grab *cough* floaty characters *cough*
~Saying "No Chain Throwing" in the beginning of the match and chain throwing on the last life (Hahahahah thats freaking messed up...I wanna try it some time)
~You get the point.

YES, this should go in my article...

kmkzSP1K3R

Smash Apprentice
dash dancing is usually quick left,right,left,right. ken dashing is holding the left slightly longer before pressing right and continuing that, so that you actually dash quite a distance before turning the opposite without any lag. it's most noticable with marth, roy, and peach i think.

djkarthik

BRoomer
BRoomer
3DS FC
0962-9800-7488

Yeah always aim high, not like Fremont. I asked everyone from Fremont whether or not they wanted to be the best...all of them accepted mediocre status. Cmon now Karthik & Friends. The only people that want to be the best actually get there. Low desire = Less chance to get to the top.
Uh, you asked everyone in Fremont? I don't remember you ever asking me that.

darkatma

Smash Hero

~Crying after getting falcon punched by Jeff (Someone did)

Lol i wish i had TIME to play more. But i gotta shoot higher than or at least for berk, meaning i have less time to play -_- But hey, i do pretty well considering i play lvl9 comps 70% of the time :laugh:

Btw who cried after getting Falcon punched? :grin: That's awesome. Crying should be considered an official mindgame

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
who's in deep norcal?
Deep Norcal is like BTZO he's deep norcal...along with Hyuga (now), FoxRoar, Valis, Frotaz, Kokichi (for like 2 more weeks), and McMike. I think Mikkuz is gonna be down here too or something.

I try to come to the good players...but they aren't too common nearby, except for Foxroar and friends, but it's like a 2 hour bus ride to them....I think Rey and a few others know how much I want to be up there with the best, it's just tough when there isn't much competition, I'm workin on it though we'll see.

As for the tournament, I'd like to let everyone know that if I did not hold up the tournament for people (I know there's traffic and missed trains and sh*t I understand), then we would have finished much sooner. I don't really appreciate the complaining though, if you guys ran a tournament seeded everyone, set up brackets, kept up with matches, and worried about your own matches, then you would understand, so try to see where I'm coming from alright? Also I feel everything went smoothly but also take into consideration that we only had 6 GC's at the most that day, even less later on. Enough for now though, I'll do shoutouts or somethin later.

Just like to say props to Nekurbis, hella close match, I'm not too good at Sheik dittos I suppose but no johns, good win man, gj in 4th too, we'll play again.

Afro Justin

Smash Journeyman
you guys had better keep improving, because come NCT2, assuming that i can find a way to go, I expect to play a better version of the Norcal that I reluctantly left. Maybe I will have improved as well. We'll just have to see. Hope to see you all there (If i can get the money to fly down).

djkarthik

BRoomer
BRoomer
3DS FC
0962-9800-7488
I give ShadowBTZO the Biweekly Medal of Honor.

Major propz to OA ShadowBTZO for running a great biweekly even though I heard some minor complaints here and there from a few people. Still, it seems like he did a great job dealing with the lack of GCs and the late-start caused by the late birds. I, for one know how stressful and frustrating it is to run these NCBs. I probably ran about around 10 of them, as well as countless other tournaments. People should always be respectful of the tournament organizer even when things aren't going so well. If you see that things aren't moving so smoothly, why don't you offer some help rather than complain?

Just a thought.

Oh, and KURRTTISSS, good job on getting 4th, amazing.

mcc

Smash Ace
since my GC is almost completely broken, the only place i can practice is whiteboy's house. that + junior year + (p)sats + game disliking parents = very little smash

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
yeah, thx shadow for calling my match against frotaz earlier....i really had to go haha and sry for taking of the only six gamecubes
Haha np, glad I could help;) haha. Oh yeah I just noticed this...
bioalp43 said:
and like i said emma is such a little *****, even though she is hot and my favorite character lol.
Eh...I guess she's alright...but IMO Manny >>>>> Emma haha

mcc

Smash Ace
yeah, i need a teammate

haha i just remembered i got 4 stocked in a IC (me) vs c falcon match. that was not a good match.

for new people - come early to warm up cause i really sucked in the beginning cause i was all nervous and unconfident and stuff (this was friendlies too lol) and when i played more, i started to suck less :p

Nekurbis86

Smash Journeyman
yeah um Hoodie I tried to find you first thing when I showed up I was asking everyone for you i guees i wass too late -.-

aRT thnx for the ride home u save my life LOL

thanks for the props btzO our set was intense

**** Isai lol u see that guy he turned weird when watching jeff and king xD

yeah now im gonna IM hodie for my kirby banner ! ajsbdjks

Brad/Vincent yeah i said i was gonna play u guys i didn't in the end sorry xD but its always nice to see new faces

MYkO LOL 1st thing i will do to u iS double pEneTraTe u remember tHAt if Fu *** ON oVEr XD LOL!!LOo1l

NintendoKing

Smash Champion
Step off my spelling and gramar. I get enough of that bullcrap in projects and essays.

I meant that my first match of the day was in the tourney. Learn how to read NK speak geeeze lol.

whiteboyninja

Smash Ace
wow lunin thats a fantastic post!
in response to karthik asking why i dont aim high is because i devote enough of my life to becomming decent at smash as it is. if i spent enough time smashing to get to the top before brawl comes out, i wouldnt have much time for anything else. i know that smash isnt at all anti social and that i really have made a lot of friends smashing, i still have other things to do...like homework...
but yeah i've been having a real boost in skill level. people who were about my skill level 2 weeks ago no longer give me a lot of problems. people who crushed me just a month ago now seem to be forced to actually try. a lot of things are going my way...and i certainly would love to see myself consistantly winning a cupple matches at the biweeklies. however, i outright lack some of the thing the pro's have that make them better than everyone else. all i would have in my favor is hard work and practice and the desire to be good. unfortunatly, as i said earlier, it isnt enough to put me to, say, lunin or spectre's level and im OK with that. i would LOVE to be a real presence at the biweeklies, though...and this is slowly becomming a reality!

Art?

Smash Journeyman
**** Isai lol u see that guy he turned weird when watching jeff and king xD
lol, i remember looking over at isai during the ss-king match. he was like on one foot in some tribal dance pose almost about to fall over. heh, he definitely has a lot of great energy and enthusiasm. watching him ace everyone in ssb64 was great, too. gotta love it.

Top Bottom