• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Norcal/Bay Area/DBR:NorCal Nevers: Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
every time i see your bubbly face
i get the tingles in a silly place
it starts in my toes
makes me crinkle my nose

except when u rest me
jigglypuff i dont love u when u rest me

whiteboyninja

Smash Ace
SUPER IMPORTANT MESSAGE
SUPER IMPORTANT MESSAGE

yes, i said that twice. this is how important this message is.

i have settled things out with the computer science room, and i am now in a position (with some help) to BRING BACK THE BIWEEKLIES! yes, remember those MELEE tourneys that used to happen? well they're going to happen again!!11one!

i have been talking to a few people from the communities of norcalland, and enough people want to see melee tourneys back that i just had to make it happen.

yes i realize that a lot of people want brawl tourneys instead. all i have to say to that is "meh, if theres time we might have brawl events too". now if an overwhelming number of people want to see brawl events in the biweeklies, and wont attend to simply play melee, i can be OK with that. i also anticipate brawl friendly TVs being present.

unfortunatly, i dont have quite the endurance and time that kizzo had, so i will likely not be able to start quite as early, or allow people to stay quite as late. most likely these will be happening from 11 or so AM to 10 or so PM, maybe a little extra time if im feeling good. yen will be helping me out plenty, so maybe if she's willing to go the extra mile, it can be a little longer. AS A RESULT OF THIS, we need to make sure events start on time. i know you guys hate to be pressured by the schedule, but if it ends up getting late, im not going to say "well you're almost done go ahead and finish the tourney", im going to kindly ask you to pack you things.

so do i have some support for this? obviously if no one is going to show up im not going to host them, but i think enough people are either preferring melee, or are willing to go either way between melee or brawl, that these will be sucesfull.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Hey Nick, that sounds pretty awesome and all of Norcal I think is pretty excited about the prospect of NCB's going on again, but I have a couple questions. Now please don't take this the wrong way, but unless you're actually the one running the tourney, aren't you kind of beholden to the TO's as to what kind of tourney (Melee/Brawl/etc) is taking place? I mean maybe from your experience, people want Melee tourneys, but from mine, people want both, but Brawl to a higher degree. So why not just let the people show up, and the TO's (which I suppose is usually me, BTZO, Zoap, PK, Scamp, etc) will find out what the Will of the People (WotP) is, and run whatever based on that. Also I believe that if managed properly and given a minimum of 8 setups, both can be run at the same time. Yes, singles and teams for Melee AND Brawl, if 10PM (pretty reasonable) is closing time as you say. So again, not to put words in your mouth, but I hope this doesn't mean that SJSU compsci club will be open for smash tourneys ONLY if the focus is on Melee.

whiteboyninja

Smash Ace
iceninja make it melee.
Make it melee
melee please
all fixed

well sheridan, i am bringing the biweeklies back because i want to see melee tourneys back. now if theres time and people want it enough, ive already talked to zoap about this, im fine with seeing brawl happen to. but to be clear on this, i really am just not feeling that its worth my time to host these if people are only gonna be playing brawl. i am simply not interested in even entering a brawl tourney, as i find i just dont like the game so much for reasons that i will not argue here.

if people want brawl, and we can still have our melee brackets, im fine with them happening. if the focus of these tourneys end up being brawl, both me and yen are going to lose interest REALLY REALLY fast.

Miharu

Smash Hero
I'd be glad to see Melee back.

I swear, playing Brawl FFAs with all items on high recently has made my smash skills regress.

K Balls

Smash Journeyman
well if brawl tournaments do happen at the biweeklies then you will prolly see me there. If there is no brawl tournaments at these biweeklies then i will prolly not play just come to chat with peeps.

whiteboyninja

Smash Ace
my concern about having both brawl and melee is that friendlies get owned. if we want to get 4 events done in 10 hours, then the amount of friendlies available is pretty pathetic. im concerned though that a lot of people wont show up if if theres no brawl. honestly, it kinda sucks either way =\

Miharu

Smash Hero
If anything, we can alternate the doubles events (ie 1 week brawl, 1 week melee) so we can cut it down to 3 events per instead of 4.

whiteboyninja

Smash Ace
actually my suggestion was going to be that we dont bother with doubles in brawl. probably the biggest single problem i have with brawl is how lousy teams is, and i know that im not the only one that feels this way. i dont exactly have it pinned down why yet, but for some reason teams in brawl just sucks.

so perhaps we can run melee doubles and brawl singles simultaneously. i would be totally down for that.

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
I guess we could just start with Brawl for the first tournament, considering that we've only had one large brawl tournament (prodigy kid's), as far as I know. I honestly don't like Brawl very much, and don't see much potential to be a tournament level game, but it's worth a try, I could be wrong.

Basically IMO keep melee, but I guess we can give Brawl a shot if enough ppl want it.

Don't take out teams though, it's one of the reasons why a lot of ppl come and play (myself included). We are capable of running both of them at the same time, we just have to be more stict about the schedule (which hyuga is).

pockyD

Smash Legend
from everything i've heard, doubles is the best part about brawl

but anyway, sfsu is already running brawl tournaments every other week, so i think you should go with melee :)

whiteboyninja

Smash Ace
BTZO, you kinda missed everything i said. im just not interested in hosting a brawl tourney. if everyone in norcal decides they dont want melee anymore and that its time for brawl, then someone else gets to host them. im sorry, but brawl just doesnt pull me enough to invest the effort

ok i read that again and i seemed to come off the wrong way, i dont mean to be whiney or omg i hate brawl or anything. but it would be a significant invenstment of my time and energy to do this, and since i simply dont enjoy brawl so much, i wont enjoy the experience much. yen feels exactly the same way. we want this because we want to play melee with the old crowd more.

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
BTZO, you kinda missed everything i said. im just not interested in hosting a brawl tourney. if everyone in norcal decides they dont want melee anymore and that its time for brawl, then someone else gets to host them. im sorry, but brawl just doesnt pull me enough to invest the effort

ok i read that again and i seemed to come off the wrong way, i dont mean to be whiney or omg i hate brawl or anything. but it would be a significant invenstment of my time and energy to do this, and since i simply dont enjoy brawl so much, i wont enjoy the experience much. yen feels exactly the same way. we want this because we want to play melee with the old crowd more.
I didn't miss anything you said, I was making a suggestion >_>. I would really prefer to have a melee tournament, but are we just gonna count out brawl just like that? But yeah if you strictly want it melee, just say "these biweeklies will be melee as long as I'm hosting them" your post before led us to believe that it would be a decision made by the majority of norcal.

Also the effort you give isn't changed at all, you'd be opening and closing the room, moving the tvs, etc but none of that has to do with what game it is. Us TOs would be running the tournament just like we did before.

FALCOMIST

Smash Ace
u know how come Deep norcal sig shiek not green? or the jiggs doesnt have a blue bow? or where has foxroar been? or why does frotaz play like every F'ing character in melee and is good with them?

oh right... Melee plz xD.

whiteboyninja

Smash Ace
sorry BTZO i didnt mean to be snappy or anything. what i meant was "these tourneys WILL BE MELEE TOURNEYS, no questions, but i will leave it up to the community and TOs if they want to add a brawl event (maaaaybe we can do both events, but that we'll have to see) but yeah im just not interested in hosting a brawl only tourney

oh and BTZO, simply being there all day is a lot to ask for. i usually dont show up to the biweeklies until noon unless i want to enter teams, and i would often leave as early as 7 or 8. staying until 11 is gonna be hard when im tired. im sure many of you know how blasted i look after playing smash that long hahaha

SuperRad

Smash Master
sorry BTZO i didnt mean to be snappy or anything. what i meant was "these tourneys WILL BE MELEE TOURNEYS, no questions, but i will leave it up to the community and TOs if they want to add a brawl event (maaaaybe we can do both events, but that we'll have to see) but yeah im just not interested in hosting a brawl only tourney

oh and BTZO, simply being there all day is a lot to ask for. i usually dont show up to the biweeklies until noon unless i want to enter teams, and i would often leave as early as 7 or 8. staying until 11 is gonna be hard when im tired. im sure many of you know how blasted i look after playing smash that long hahaha
=/

being at a tournament all day is rough, i understand. I've been the first one to the room (besides Kizzo) and left with the last wave a bunch of times. If you can't handle that, then you should talk to kizzo about maybe finding someone to do a split duty with you. [IE you show up in the morning open it up and if you need to leave earlier then someone else can stay and close down.]

Also, I think it's selfish to not bend to the will of the people here. I don't really care which tournaments we host, but it seems to me like running both [with alternating doubles] sounds like it would please the most people. And if a couple months down the road, people want to drop Brawl then we can. But right now I think the game is too new to drop it by the wayside and say "it's done".

Also, I think you are kind of at the behest of the TOs. If you want to run it yourself then go ahead and declare your imperial rule over the tournament. Otherwise, I think their input and opinion is important. The people that run the tournament are not only giving a lot of the same time as you, they are giving up the ability to leave when they want and play as many friendlies as everyone else. Plus, they have to deal with the people that leave when they aren't supposed to, the people that come in 30 minutes after they started making the bracket saying they want to enter, etc etc. My point is that they are just as much giving themselves to this as you.

[on a tangential note, i'm 100% going to SJSU next year (I submitted my intention to enroll earlier today). I'll also be majoring in CS :)]

pockyD

Smash Legend
running a pools-less tournament isn't as hard as you guys make it out to be -_-

and while you think running 3 separate tournaments makes everyone happy, there's a decent chance it might end up making nobody happy =\

RPK

Smash Lord
When I see Melee its like...WTF? Your not supposed to be able to move that fast and be that heavy...You guys arent playing Lightning mode right?

God I miss it...

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Also, I think it's selfish to not bend to the will of the people here. I don't really care which tournaments we host, but it seems to me like running both [with alternating doubles] sounds like it would please the most people. And if a couple months down the road, people want to drop Brawl then we can. But right now I think the game is too new to drop it by the wayside and say "it's done".
I was gonna make a post similar to this, but really I have to say that he's got the right to do what he wants with the CS club room. I know I'm disappointed but life goes on. Brawl will happen elsewhere or elsewhen.

[on a tangential note, i'm 100% going to SJSU next year (I submitted my intention to enroll earlier today). I'll also be majoring in CS :)]
SuperRadBiweeklies?

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
I'm definitely agreeing with what Brian had to say, but considering that it's Nick's choice whether or not to open the room, us TO's can't run brawl or melee if he does not want it that way and chooses to simply not open the room to us. It's true though, I can't remember the last time I played a friendly during the doubles and singles tournament, and the same will go for whoever else is running the tournament if I'm not there. So yeah although we should have a say in what tournament to run, none of it will happen without Nick choosing to be there, and he may not choose to be there if it is not the tournament that he wants to be run.

BTW running a "pools-less" tournament isn't hard if you're just talking about handling the bracket. It gets frustrating though having to deal with late people, or people who don't play their matches right away, or people who never tell you who won the match and just go on playing friendlies with each other, and yeah i could go on lol

Oh and Lucien said it was too hard to color the characters, cuz yeah default sheik's sht is weak lol...and yeah I have no idea where foxroar is haha

pockyD

Smash Legend
you could just forfeit people who don't report their matches and don't let late people register at all (why delay a tournament 2 hours so 2 more people can sign up, when the starting time was already clearly posted?)

edit: fact is, sheridan already listed 4 people capable of "organizing" a tournament, plus tacked on an "etc." which to me means there are at least few more, but it seems like there's only ONE person capable of securing the venue

therefore, he's the boss

ProdigyKid

Smash Lord
Yeah these arent Kizzo NCBs. (How I miss those) He pretty much let the TOs do whatever we wanted, and just made sure the rooms were safe and stuff.

This is more like an edition of Smashing up Nicks House, except not at his house. *shrugs* I'll go if DNC goes, but as usual, wont enter (Baysian donation fund all over again imo)

But hey, it's Nick's choice, so can't do anything about that. You wish there would be another Prod tourney anytime soon =3

Top Bottom