• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Norcal/Bay Area/DBR:NorCal Nevers: Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

KizzoGirl

Smash Ace
Kizzo or Mike, please PM me about what's going to take place for this biweekly. I think people feel a DRIFT coming on, but I'm not sure...
I don't really care what you do Scamp - just do it.

And also, I have some of the NCT2 videos and I need help uploading them. I don't have the time to do it (I haven't all this time), and if someone here from the biweeklies could do it, that would be great. Thanks.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Okay, then I must request at least eight TVs this time. More if we wanna have casuals so the vultures don't interrupt our tournament as much. As much. Sheesh.

Plus we gotta announce that it'll start at 11. Not 11:30 when it's 11. Not 12 when it's 11. Eleven.

Let's put it this way: The tourney starts at 10.

Hopefully we can do a doubles tourney after the singles. No guarantees, though, as I've never done the DRIFT before so I don't know how long it'll be.

So please bring your cubes. If we don't have at least eight setups I'm probably not going to bother.

And I'll post exact rules later but it'll probably be something like MLG rules but with a time limit of six minutes.

Oh, and if ANYONE has any questions/concerns/suggestions/comments I'd love to hear them. We gotta make this work right.

Nekurbis86

Smash Journeyman
lol scamp it looks like u like DRIFT = O

uhm dunoo if i'll b there >.>

lmao i think i have to drop my english 1A class -.-

mm i want to eat something

chicken scampi sounds gooodd

staying up to the wii hours of the night =S
nah i dont have one yet

h I!Hi h 1i1i11hi at skewl hmm nothin to do argg

frotaz37

Smash Lord
Can somebody please explain why Afro Justin is sending me IMs telling me he is going to own me?

AFROJUSTIN212: i will come in top 5 at this biweekly

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
So DRIFT or SBS or whatever is going to be used for the tournament format?
IF enough people show support for it.

It may be a tourney-day decision.

Post up opinions/concerns. Really. Otherwise I'm just going to go crazy with wacky formats and it'll be too late to stop me.

Zoap

Smash Master
i like the idea of drift but i dont like the idea of no teams. i think teams should still be done first and the ppl that usually cant stay long arent gonna get into the 8 man bracket anyways. Just my opinion though

Snap

Smash Ace
i like the idea of drift but i dont like the idea of no teams. i think teams should still be done first and the ppl that usually cant stay long arent gonna get into the 8 man bracket anyways. Just my opinion though

yo zoap does anyone know why theres a RED FROWN SMILEY FACE on the topic

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
what is drift?
DRIFT is a new singles tourney format which is designed to give people at least 5-7 games against people who should be about the same skill level. Basically it separates people into groups of eight and you play two games. People who do well move up while people who do poorly go down. Repeat about four times and then everyone who places highly enough plays out a final bracket of eight.

Sorta clear? Here's another way to put it. If you're not top 8 then you're going to get at least 5-7 matches no matter how badly you do. If you can compete for top 8 then you'll get a (in my opinion) fairer chance to prove yourself. If you want to clearly know where you should lie on the power rankings this format also gives you a chance to prove yourself too. Finally if you just want to get better you'll get more experience.

The main issue is that I've never run this format type before, so I don't really know if it'll take longer than I think it will. I don't think it'll run so long that we'll have to cancel teams, but you never know. Everyone knows I like teams far more than singles, I certainly don't want to see them go. However, teams usually ends around 3 at the latest, and then people wanna eat and whatnot, so even if I start DRIFT at 3 it may go way past midnight should something go wrong.

Basically, because it's a new format I want to play it safe. There will most likely be a teams tourney. And besides, the teams that usually can't stay long enough aren't going to get into the top 8 anyway.

So basically show up before 11 or I will drop you in a lower pool. :)

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
So Scamp, what would you say is DRIFT's advantage over a Swiss system? Both give everyone a large number of rounds against people of similar skill levels, but Swiss pairings are designed so that you never play the same person twice (which I imagine can/might happen in the lowest DRIFT pool, as you'll have 6 players every round that stay there). So what's the weakness of Swiss that DRIFT attempts to solve?

(Not challenging... probing :))

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
DRIFT? is that like (guitar solo...)INITIALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL d

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Advantages of DRIFT over Swiss:

1: Swiss is a ***** to run. Not only do you have to to re-assign all the people after each round but then you have to check who played who and their relative point standings thereafter. This gets really bad toward the end.

But maybe a computer program would make this a moot point. Still, you have to re-assign everyone every round in swiss, while in DRIFT it's every two rounds.

2: Swiss doesn't start off with people paired off at (assumed) equal skill levels.

3: I actually want people to play each other multiple times if they prove they're relatively equal strength.

That being said, I don't mind people at the bottom playing each other again. What good would it do for them to play better people when they can't beat people at the bottom yet?

But yeah, I see how this system is quite similar to a swiss. The main point is for people to play as many matches with the people around them skill-wise as possible. That doesn't happen in a swiss IMO. Plus, I think that it's easier to run because you separate everyone into eight instead of having to pair up the entire field each round.

And also this is supposed to be a once-in-a-while thing. I don't think it should be done constantly, while a swiss tourey would be better at that.

I should have started a new thread for this. Too late now.

Ian

Smash Ace
hmmm I'm not really following... is it the losers of the bottom level get out and then losers of the winners of the bottom get out and then losers of the winners of that get out and so fourth?

mike666

Smash Apprentice
just wanted to say good luck to everyone at the biweekly on saturday! scamp, i hope your system is a success. also, since i will be in LA hittin up the clubs i wont be able to help out david in the morning so everyone that can wake up early, please try and help him out. oh and yen, forgot to say thx for helpin me out last time - couldnt have done it without you :)

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
hmmm I'm not really following... is it the losers of the bottom level get out and then losers of the winners of the bottom get out and then losers of the winners of that get out and so fourth?
You know what, I don't follow what you're saying. Please PM me your questions and I can answer them.

awww are we seriously not having teams!?!?!

i might have ACE as a partner! ACE ****IT!!!!
Geez. Do you read Zoap's posts then skip over mine?

All I said was that teams is going after DRIFT(singles) because it's a new format. And to show up at 11. The ONLY reason teams would be cancelled is if DRIFT takes vastly longer than I expect it to.

NEVER was it said that teams is expected to be cancelled. I don't know where Zoap gets his information.

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
You know what, I don't follow what you're saying. Please PM me your questions and I can answer them.

Geez. Do you read Zoap's posts then skip over mine?

All I said was that teams is going after DRIFT(singles) because it's a new format. And to show up at 11. The ONLY reason teams would be cancelled is if DRIFT takes vastly longer than I expect it to.

NEVER was it said that teams is expected to be cancelled. I don't know where Zoap gets his information.
Honestly Scamp I'm going to have to agree with what Zoap said earlier. We have to have teams first, and I don't like to say it, but the people who are generally top 8 material are always there until later. Also alot of the people that want to enter teams usually leave after a while, so it kind of wouldn't be fair to them. Also I would not be able to tell them a definite time for teams because I would not know how long your format will take. I'm not saying not to do your format, but I'm just saying teams first.

Zoap

Smash Master
Hopefully we can do a doubles tourney after the singles. No guarantees, though, as I've never done the DRIFT before so I don't know how long it'll be.

Ok so umm Scamp you said that doubles are NOT a guarantee, as ur quote says and if both u and whiteninjaboy had READ my post more closely as Btzo did, I DID NOT say teams was canceled, but that IMO teams should still be done first. Don't try and accuse me of saying anything that I didnt and I got my information FROM YOU.

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
the one day I dont have saturday class I have to go to my friend's friend's catillion. :/

Also that combo video was crazy. ill make sure to bring twohunny next time I see jeff. It was almost as good as myko and tang's **** juice.

Top Bottom