• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No more good games for Wii now?

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
Fact is, you cannot frigging play any game without first using the stupid wiimote. There's massive flaw in that you cannot control the menu with any other controller. What if you run out of batteries? >_> I tried like half an hour to get it work and play melee with batteries that had run out, cause I couldn't locate the new battery recharger and a second battery that was needed in order to use it.
Hahaha? I don't see how this relates to "No more good game for Wii..." but yeah i know what you're saying. Once me and some friends were gonna run some dirrty MM's but stupid here for got the wii-mote and all hope was lost.

-_-

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Nintendo HAS to revolve most of their,if not all, games to the controls.That was the whole wow about the wii, and it's "revolutionizing" controls. Don't you think it would be funny if they made a game that didn't use the wii controls? What are you supposed to do, go buy a GC controller?

If i were to tell you that before LoZ:Tp came out it was going to have good controls were you to assume that it was going to have a bad storyline, or boring game play? You could, but that wasn't the case.

The reason I say the controls are all we have to look forward to is because it is. We can only assume the game is either going to be good or bad, but from what they [High Voltage] has stated it handles like MP3 and MoH2, which like i said before were good, solid controls. If the Wii had a regular type controller, and knowing everything you know of The Conduit, would you think differently of the game, knowing the controls would be like that of any common FPS?
No, they don't. The problem is that EVERYONE is convinced they have to, (Brawl and Radiant Dawn were CRITICIZED for not having motion sensor. Have they even played a Fire Emblem title before?) but they don't. Even getting criticized for it shouldn't be a problem. They also get criticized for graphics, but they've done nothing about that, and it's worked out fine for them (until the Wii, that is, because the whole system is bad). You don't even have to make the GameCube controller the option for a non-motion sensor game. It'd be preferred, but Brawl and Radiant Dawn both used the Wiimote and the neither used motion sensor (except for the Shake Smash with Wiimote + Nunchuk). It's not impossible, but everyone is convinced it is.

Before TP came out, I was still on good terms with Nintendo. I had no clue they would make the controls the only thing the Wii has to offer. So if you had told me TP had good controls, I wouldn't've assumed it was bad.
Good controls don't come hand in hand with a bad game all of the time. But Nintendo tends to focus too much on the controls and they offer nothing else for the game. That's the big thing every time. Oh, you swing the Wiimote like a sword! Oh, you aim using the Wiimote and also use the Grapple Beam with the Nunchuk! Wow, you use the pointer to collect Star Bits and spin! The only (good) thing they advertise for their games anymore is motion sensor. Mario Galaxy of course advertised the planetary system, but it's not a huge thing, nor is it a good thing in my opinion. It's obnoxious. They need to stop putting all of their eggs in one basket, because eventually everyone is going to realize it's just a gimmick and the games are lacking something else.

We should have more to look forward to than just the controls. A good plot, good gameplay...we should know something more about it. Especially before we rave about it like it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Samochan

Smash Master
As long as lots of random people continue to buy Wii Fit, nintendo doesn't give a **** what gamers who look a bit more depth from their games want. <_<

I did like TP though, but I didnt like MP3 as much, mp1 was so much better. TP was originally for the GC, soo... >_>

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
I bought LoZ:TP for the GameCube, everything about it on the game cube was very polished and complete. The graphics were the best the GC had to offer, The controls were smooth and crisp, and Link was left-handed as it should be, my only complaints about it was that it was too easy, and it didn't have the Big Gorons Sword.

On the Wii, however, it was a last minute port port over, the controls were clumsy, and they mirrored the whole world to satisfy right handed people, (make up about 7 out of 10 people) completely unnessicary because shaking the Wiimote was only pushing the B button, (from what i could tell) the direction you shook the wii mote did not even affect the direction link swung his sword.

TP was better on the GC.
In case your wondering, I am left handed,

derek.haines

Smash Ace
As for the Wii being about new experiences, and not pushing polygons and textures...maybe I'm taking this wrong, but does that have anything to do with going against graphics? It sounds more to me like he's saying...the Wii isn't about video games? Great. Further proof that the Wii is destroying the concept of video games. I wish I could go back to the good days where video games were not as they are today. I always despised how video games are looked down upon and not accepted, so I sort of hoped that they would become more mainstream and people would no longer look down upon them. But now they've become mainstream, and not only has it screwed up video games, but people still look down upon the real games. Screw conformity.
Pushing polygons and and textures IS graphics, that's really all they're made of. Video games did not suddenly enter the mainstream with the Wii--the video game industry makes more money every year than the movie industry does, and it's only helping establish that video games can be an artistic medium.

superracoon said:
On the Wii, however, it was a last minute port port over, the controls were clumsy, and they mirrored the whole world to satisfy right handed people, (make up about 7 out of 10 people)
From Wikipedia: "Left-handedness is relatively uncommon; over 90% of the adult population is right-handed."

Luckily because the game wasn't 1-to-1, the hand that you waggled the Wiimote with really didn't make an ounce of difference, making it only a cosmetic (if annoying) change.

As long as lots of random people continue to buy Wii Fit, nintendo doesn't give a **** what gamers who look a bit more depth from their games want. <_<

I did like TP though, but I didnt like MP3 as much, mp1 was so much better. TP was originally for the GC, soo... >_>
Nintendo, like every console-producing company, is seeking to find a balance right now as the game industry continues to get bigger. The question is: "How do you get everyone playing video games?" Pretty much everyone watches some movies, so why can't everyone play games? The trick is finding a balance that makes everyone happy.

Microsoft has done a magnificent job of courting hardcore gamers, but the system has sold like a turd in the gaming motherland of Japan and the game library has become an overcrowded mess of just a handful of genres--plus, neither system produced so far by Microsoft has made a cent to my knowledge.

Sony has previously done magnificently with courting both casual, sometimes-gamers, and hardcore, dedicated gamers. However, this generation has seen them hemorrhaging money after having created what is basically a me-too console to the 360. Increasingly Sony looks to want to court the casual market but they need to do it in a way that won't alienate any hardcore gamers they have. Things look like they're picking up for the PS3, but only time will tell.

Nintendo has done better than virtually any console in history at tapping the casual market (second probably to their own Game Boy or DS). People that will only ever buy and play 2 or 3 games on the stystem have been picking up the Wii in droves, and it's lead to a significant market share but a relatively low attach rate and some pretty mediocre sales for alot of third-party titles. What Nintendo needs to do is step back and say, "Okay, we have this part of the market. Now how do we keep it without alienating that part over there--the ones that buy more games?" They need to realize that while casual gamers have been driving the hardware sales, it's going to be hardcore gamers that drive the software sales and keep the Wii going strong throughout it's years.

No system is perfect, but it's still early. There's alot of adjustments to be made, and alot of time to make them in.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
No, they don't. The problem is that EVERYONE is convinced they have to, (Brawl and Radiant Dawn were CRITICIZED for not having motion sensor. Have they even played a Fire Emblem title before?) but they don't. Even getting criticized for it shouldn't be a problem. They also get criticized for graphics, but they've done nothing about that, and it's worked out fine for them (until the Wii, that is, because the whole system is bad). You don't even have to make the GameCube controller the option for a non-motion sensor game. It'd be preferred, but Brawl and Radiant Dawn both used the Wiimote and the neither used motion sensor (except for the Shake Smash with Wiimote + Nunchuk). It's not impossible, but everyone is convinced it is.

Before TP came out, I was still on good terms with Nintendo. I had no clue they would make the controls the only thing the Wii has to offer. So if you had told me TP had good controls, I wouldn't've assumed it was bad.
Good controls don't come hand in hand with a bad game all of the time. But Nintendo tends to focus too much on the controls and they offer nothing else for the game. That's the big thing every time. Oh, you swing the Wiimote like a sword! Oh, you aim using the Wiimote and also use the Grapple Beam with the Nunchuk! Wow, you use the pointer to collect Star Bits and spin! The only (good) thing they advertise for their games anymore is motion sensor. Mario Galaxy of course advertised the planetary system, but it's not a huge thing, nor is it a good thing in my opinion. It's obnoxious. They need to stop putting all of their eggs in one basket, because eventually everyone is going to realize it's just a gimmick and the games are lacking something else.

We should have more to look forward to than just the controls. A good plot, good gameplay...we should know something more about it. Especially before we rave about it like it's the best thing since sliced bread.
Ahhh!! Radiant Dawn with motion controls! As stupid as brawls would be with motion controls, radiant dawn would be terrible (which it's not). I am going to say thank you to the people who make FE (who ever they are) for not including motion controls.

From Wikipedia: "Left-handedness is relatively uncommon; over 90% of the adult population is right-handed."

Luckily because the game wasn't 1-to-1, the hand that you waggled the Wiimote with really didn't make an ounce of difference, making it only a cosmetic (if annoying) change.
Dont disagree with.

Nintendo, like every console-producing company, is seeking to find a balance right now as the game industry continues to get bigger. The question is: "How do you get everyone playing video games?" Pretty much everyone watches some movies, so why can't everyone play games? The trick is finding a balance that makes everyone happy.

Balance! Really IMO it should be like it was on the GC. 1-2 out of 10 games for causals and rest for people like us. I really dont want those casuals stepping into the industry and all of a sudden attention shifts to them. It's like the videogame industry just took of all by itself. That they just all of a sudden got all thier money and that we never exsisted ( when I say we I mean people who aren't causals).

Microsoft has done a magnificent job of courting hardcore gamers, but the system has sold like a turd in the gaming motherland of Japan and the game library has become an overcrowded mess of just a handful of genres--plus, neither system produced so far by Microsoft has made a cent to my knowledge.

Sony has previously done magnificently with courting both casual, sometimes-gamers, and hardcore, dedicated gamers. However, this generation has seen them hemorrhaging money after having created what is basically a me-too console to the 360. Increasingly Sony looks to want to court the casual market but they need to do it in a way that won't alienate any hardcore gamers they have. Things look like they're picking up for the PS3, but only time will tell.

Nintendo has done better than virtually any console in history at tapping the casual market (second probably to their own Game Boy or DS). People that will only ever buy and play 2 or 3 games on the stystem have been picking up the Wii in droves, and it's lead to a significant market share but a relatively low attach rate and some pretty mediocre sales for alot of third-party titles. What Nintendo needs to do is step back and say, "Okay, we have this part of the market. Now how do we keep it without alienating that part over there--the ones that buy more games?" They need to realize that while casual gamers have been driving the hardware sales, it's going to be hardcore gamers that drive the software sales and keep the Wii going strong throughout it's years.
The causal market dosen't consern me a whole lot. If you were to add all the 360 owners with most of the PS3 owners (the "hardcores") then add all the "hardcores" from the wii and you would notice we far out number the remaining people (most of which are on wii). Now just because most are with the wii dosent mean we need to just forget the people who have been there since the beginning.

No system is perfect, but it's still early. There's alot of adjustments to be made, and alot of time to make them in.
Most systems last 5-7 years. Most plans on the next system start about half way (for wii I believe it was around 2003 or something). Now theres already rumours about the so called "super wii" if that turns out true, im getting a PS4 or a xbox 720 (or what ever there going to call it). There is little time left for them to turn around. IMO 2008 is the last year for people like me to hope for a change because I'm pretty sure if not now then never for nintendo.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
The causal market dosen't consern me a whole lot. If you were to add all the 360 owners with most of the PS3 owners (the "hardcores") then add all the "hardcores" from the wii and you would notice we far out number the remaining people (most of which are on wii). Now just because most are with the wii dosent mean we need to just forget the people who have been there since the beginning.
Agreed. That's the balance that I'm talking about. The industry can't forget the ultimate driving force behind it and the players that made it big in the first place, but it also can't forget anyone else. It's like the movie industry, there's a movie made for just about everyone. Now we're getting to the point where there's a game made for just about everyone.

Most systems last 5-7 years. Most plans on the next system start about half way (for wii I believe it was around 2003 or something). Now theres already rumours about the so called "super wii" if that turns out true, im getting a PS4 or a xbox 720 (or what ever there going to call it). There is little time left for them to turn around. IMO 2008 is the last year for people like me to hope for a change because I'm pretty sure if not now then never for nintendo.
I doubt that. Look at the Gamecube, alot of the good third-party games (Tales of Symphonia, Baten Kaitos, Phantasy Star Online, Soul Calibur II) came out after the 2-year mark. Hell, even the original XBOX didn't really get exciting until after 2 years.

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
Not sure if this was posted before, but 25 Wii exclusive titles to look forward to/keep yr Wii:

1. Fatal Frame: Mask: Of The Lunar Eclipse
2. Rune Factory
3. Disaster: Day Of Crisis
4. Tales Of Symphonia Dawn Of The New World
5. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicels: The Crystal Bearers
6. Castlevania Judgment
7. Tenchu 4
8. Harvest Moon: Tree Of Tranquility
9. Deadly Creatures
10. Fragile
11. Animal Crossing Wii
12. Little King’s Story
13. Dokapon Kingdom
14. My Sims Kingdom
15. Sam & Max: Season 1
16. Sky Crawlers
17. Mario Super Sluggers
18. De Blob
19. Samba De Amigo
20. Mushroom Men
21. Shiren The Wanderer 3
22. Wario Land The Shake Dimension
23. SimCity Creator
24. Rygar The Battle Of Argus
25. Wii Love Golf

Not to say all are reasons to keep yr Wii, but a lot are expected to be pretty **** good.

Cubemario

Smash Journeyman
To be fair. Those games where you end up playing 30+ hours out of take a long time to develop. The only sorta recent games I can think of with that play time is ff12 and oblivion.

So you won't see those kind of games very often for any console.

Flino

Smash Rookie
Not sure if this was posted before, but 25 Wii exclusive titles to look forward to/keep yr Wii:

1. Fatal Frame: Mask: Of The Lunar Eclipse
2. Rune Factory
3. Disaster: Day Of Crisis
4. Tales Of Symphonia Dawn Of The New World
5. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicels: The Crystal Bearers
6. Castlevania Judgment
7. Tenchu 4
8. Harvest Moon: Tree Of Tranquility
9. Deadly Creatures
10. Fragile
11. Animal Crossing Wii
12. Little King’s Story
13. Dokapon Kingdom
14. My Sims Kingdom
15. Sam & Max: Season 1
16. Sky Crawlers
17. Mario Super Sluggers
18. De Blob
19. Samba De Amigo
20. Mushroom Men
21. Shiren The Wanderer 3
22. Wario Land The Shake Dimension
23. SimCity Creator
24. Rygar The Battle Of Argus
25. Wii Love Golf

Not to say all are reasons to keep yr Wii, but a lot are expected to be pretty **** good.
That's the game I'm looking forward too. Tench 4.

WiiWiiWaa

Smash Rookie
the place where i live has a really long name so l
I have to say, I agree with just about everything your saying. I believe there are too many casual games, and the hardcore games are SHALLOW (SMG)! There are a few good 3rd party games out there that are passed by. For example, Blazing Angels is pretty good... And also, bear in mind, Nintendo can always make new things if they want to. If they don't need us hardcores anymore, they will stop delivering...

Darkslash

Smash Master
Nintendo can't really forget the Hardcores. its them that got video gaming on its feet after the Crash.

Any ways if Nintendo makes a game that can make a Hardcore swear for 5 minutes then thats a hard core game lol

antimatter

Smash Lord
Nintendo can't really forget the Hardcores. its them that got video gaming on its feet after the Crash.

Any ways if Nintendo makes a game that can make a Hardcore swear for 5 minutes then thats a hard core game lol
Do you really think they can't forget us? Really? What do you think they've BEEN doing for the past year and a half? They just want money, and would toss us into hell if it means they could turn a profit.

koopa cape located at the end of rainbow road
I noticed following Nintendo policy there is usually

1 Mario Platform Game (Galaxy on Wii)
1 Mario Kart Game (Mario Kart Wii)
1 Good LOZ game (Twilight Princess although there is hope since it was for GCN too)
1 Smash Brothers Game (Brawl)

In fact Nintendo usually just creates one good game for each system and moves on so is the Wii in trouble now?

The last time more then one Mario Platform game was made was for Gameboy and Original NES.

N64 had two LoZ games although MM was not that great.

However, the pattern seems to hold true unfortunately.
we also need a star fox game if you are holding with the pattern. Plus we have metroid prime 3. And the mario party games (although they arent all that great). Plus soon more mario sports games are going to be released (like the new mario baseball, which i cant wait for). Also there is probably going to be a new pikmin game, theres been talk of a kirby wii game, as well as a new kid icarus game seeing as how pit has been brought back from the dead.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974

guess your right. but its hardcores that turned them into Profit Mongers
Yet Nintendo has. They shouldn't forget us, but they are. They've decided to take the road of "If you can get more money, screw your friends."

It's offensive and annoying, but it's more economically sound for them this way, and even though casuals get bored of the games quickly and will stop buying their systems if they stop having Wii Fit type games, once they get their $90 they don't give a ****.

Zodiac

Smash Master
wii has more third party support than any nintendo system ever. so its much brither for wii. but you have dig thorugh all the 10 minute crappy games that go on sale for $50

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Lets list the amount of "hardcore titles on the Wii" (I will NOT place Metroid Prime 3 and Twilight Princess in since EVERYONE has played those games by now. Nothing new with those 2 games.) :

-Mario Kart Wii (?): This depends on whether or not heavily on if it is regarded in the same light as Super Mario Kart/Mario Kart 64. It on its own does not look to be shaping up to be a hardcore game. Fun as heck to play though.

-Brawl (?) : ...........Probably not.

-Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn: I dare anybody to say this game is geared for casuals. (On a side note, Fire Emblem may be the last GROWING Nintendo series imo to not be geared primarily for casuals. Kirby could fit into this category as well.)

- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (?): I need to look more into this to make a better stance on it.

-Bully, Okami, Resident Evil 4: They are hardcore, but I could get them all on the Gamecube/Playstation 2.

-No More Heroes: It is not a casual game, but I (and others) question its overall quality as a game in general.

So that is 2 (other people should be able to find MANY other games to add to this list) Wii-exclusive games (that are not MP3/TP) at present time in which people could safely say is hardcore. The general consesus of hardcore wii owners is right at the moment, we are screwed :(.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
Lets list the amount of "hardcore titles on the Wii" (I will NOT place Metroid Prime 3 and Twilight Princess in since EVERYONE has played those games by now. Nothing new with those 2 games.) :

-Mario Kart Wii (?): This depends on whether or not heavily on if it is regarded in the same light as Super Mario Kart/Mario Kart 64. It on its own does not look to be shaping up to be a hardcore game. Fun as heck to play though.

-Brawl (?) : ...........Probably not.

-Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn: I dare anybody to say this game is geared for casuals. (On a side note, Fire Emblem may be the last GROWING Nintendo series imo to not be geared primarily for casuals. Kirby could fit into this category as well.)

- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (?): I need to look more into this to make a better stance on it.

-Bully, Okami, Resident Evil 4: They are hardcore, but I could get them all on the Gamecube/Playstation 2.

-No More Heroes: It is not a casual game, but I (and others) question its overall quality as a game in general.

So that is 2 (other people should be able to find MANY other games to add to this list) Wii-exclusive games (that are not MP3/TP) at present time in which people could safely say is hardcore. The general consesus of hardcore wii owners is right at the moment, we are screwed :(.
There's no denying that Nintendo's titles have been gearing more towards the casual audience as of late, just as they did on the DS. But, if the DS is going to be any indication about how things will turn out then we're going to be just fine. Sure, we'd like Nintendo to keep us afloat and make *****in' games, but we don't need them to. The quality of third-party games will continue to increase, as it did on the DS, and they will ultimately keep the system afloat.

And, if you're worried about motion controls, it will probably end up like touch screen controls on the DS. Towards the beginning, everyone and their grandmother was trying to incorporate touch screen controls to wildly varying degrees of success. However, it ends up optional (Summon Night: Twin Age, Final Fantasy Tactics A2), or only used in situations in which it ultimately enhances the gameplay experience (Phantom Hourglass, Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword, Trauma Center).

I absolutely see the Wii ending up like the DS. Sure, the PSP is a technologically superior console with more features, but the DS sold MUCH better (on the backs of casual titles [Nintendogs and New Super Mario Bros]) and ended up with a way better library of games. The PSP was more hardcore on paper, but the DS still ended up being the "must-have" system.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
The PSP has been outselling the Wii and DS in Japan for about 3 - 5 months now.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?con...an&cons3=PSP&reg3=Japan&start=39453&end=39628

And that was built on the strength of one title, at the end of it's lifespan, while developers flee the system in droves. It's got nothing to do with the PSP, but instead everything to do with Monster Hunter Freedom 2nd G (They love the Monster Hunter games over there)--And the Wii is getting Monster Hunter 3.

The link I provided was a little graph I set up comparing the Wii, DS, and PSP sales in Japan since January 5th, 2008. There is a huge spike for the PSP in March, and that carried into April and early May, but it's since settled down remarkably into mid-May and June. Now the difference between them is +/- 10,000 systems per month, which is a relatively small number.

Compare the lifetime-to-date numbers, however, and you see the DS's complete and total dominance of the Japanese market.

PSP - 9,822,692 units shipped

DS - 23,009,340 units shipped

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
The PSP has been outselling the Wii and DS in Japan for about 3 - 5 months now.
Japan has always been huge with Nintendo. I know that what you're saying is true, but it's only because most everybody there has a DS and a Wii.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
So, we are just going for completely blind fanboyism in here? I have yet to see any of you do anything except suck Nintendo's **** and spin literally EVERYTHING negative about Nintendo into something positive. You guys would make awesome politicians.

Darkslash

Smash Master
So, we are just going for completely blind fanboyism in here? I have yet to see any of you do anything except suck Nintendo's **** and spin literally EVERYTHING negative about Nintendo into something positive. You guys would make awesome politicians.
And alot of people have been doing that with Sony too. So yea :p

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Meh. Im not a fan of politics :laugh:

Oh and trust me. Look back a few pages and you'll see im not really happy with what nintendo has done.

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
Hah. I'm trying to make lemonade out of lemons here. Being a Nintendo fan is hard you know. We're all screaming over a game that looks good for the Wii, but below par for the tastes off 360 and PS3 owners. It would almost seem that we were living under rocks, unaware of what video games have to offer now-a-days. I understand what you're trying to say about the Wii and its games. When you look at it the Wii is behind in the advances of gaming. GTAIV is awesome, CoD4, and lets not forget about Halo. Put those games up in a line up of what they have to offer besides great game play, and they obliterate that of the wii (which would most likely be represented by Brawl, Mario Galaxy, and LoZ:TP).

derek.haines

Smash Ace
It's not bragging if you can back it up. I'm just laying down the facts here, and they, quite frankly, support Nintendo. I completely agree with alot of the complaints that people have about the systems, I share them vehemently (and I blog about them often). However, I can also see past the now and into what might be, and I think that it looks extremely bright.

I'm a student of game design and I've been following the industry for literally my entire life, so I've got some pretty strong opinions about video games. More than anything, I calls it like I sees it.

I own a PS2 and I was an iron-clad supporter of the original Playstation during those days (still own my first one, for that matter). It just seems to me like some people WANT to deny the facts and purposely hate on Nintendo this time around--the facts just don't support it.

There's no fellatio of Nintendo going on, just supporters coming out to do what they do best: Support.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
It seems really ridiculous you pay $250 for a video game console that doesn't have a constant flow of games to play. I feel even MORE pissed off because I paid $800 for a bundle as that was the only thing in stock. Now, that I am done the games I got with it, for the most part, I am back to playing Gametap and PAiN, which I got for $10 and is a lot more fun than anything Nintendo has offered.

All I can see is that Nintendo forgot their past failures. The N64 was awful, and the GCN suffered from that. Now, they have a marketable product that a lot of people were interested in, but when they sell mostly mini-game compilations and ****ty products like Wii Fit, they have no reason to give a **** about the gamers who want games. Notice no one is making topics about Sony or Microsoft doing quite well with what they have. Sony recently had a firmware update, which in and of itself is a revolutionary concept that was completely ignored, that pretty much bricked a "widespread" amount of PS3s. In reality, it wasn't as widespread as originally though, but they removed the update, and it came out yesterday fixing issues that even the non-bricking updates had. Microsoft is on it's way to creating an XBox Remote (wiimote) as means of satisfying the audience who wants that immersion. Fact is, I have brand loyalty towards Sony and Microsoft because they produce quality stuff in other industries as well. Nintendo primarily produces games, and lately, that hasn't be the case. How can I really justify the purchase of a $250 box, when I have just as much fun with $12 per month with Gametap or $10 with PAiN?

NeBz

Smash Journeyman
Hah. I'm trying to make lemonade out of lemons here. Being a Nintendo fan is hard you know. We're all screaming over a game that looks good for the Wii, but below par for the tastes off 360 and PS3 owners. It would almost seem that we were living under rocks, unaware of what video games have to offer now-a-days. I understand what you're trying to say about the Wii and its games. When you look at it the Wii is behind in the advances of gaming. GTAIV is awesome, CoD4, and lets not forget about Halo. Put those games up in a line up of what they have to offer besides great game play, and they obliterate that of the wii (which would most likely be represented by Brawl, Mario Galaxy, and LoZ:TP).
So True beyond belief. Hit the nail right in the head.

Infact, I was like that.

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
It seems really ridiculous you pay $250 for a video game console that doesn't have a constant flow of games to play. I feel even MORE pissed off because I paid $800 for a bundle as that was the only thing in stock. Now, that I am done the games I got with it, for the most part, I am back to playing Gametap and PAiN, which I got for $10 and is a lot more fun than anything Nintendo has offered.

All I can see is that Nintendo forgot their past failures. The N64 was awful, and the GCN suffered from that. Now, they have a marketable product that a lot of people were interested in, but when they sell mostly mini-game compilations and ****ty products like Wii Fit, they have no reason to give a **** about the gamers who want games. Notice no one is making topics about Sony or Microsoft doing quite well with what they have. Sony recently had a firmware update, which in and of itself is a revolutionary concept that was completely ignored, that pretty much bricked a "widespread" amount of PS3s. In reality, it wasn't as widespread as originally though, but they removed the update, and it came out yesterday fixing issues that even the non-bricking updates had. Microsoft is on it's way to creating an XBox Remote (wiimote) as means of satisfying the audience who wants that immersion. Fact is, I have brand loyalty towards Sony and Microsoft because they produce quality stuff in other industries as well. Nintendo primarily produces games, and lately, that hasn't be the case. How can I really justify the purchase of a $250 box, when I have just as much fun with $12 per month with Gametap or $10 with PAiN?
Well it would make sense that a company, whose sole purpose of existence is to produce games, would make a good game...but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Foremost they [Nintendo] are a company, and if they keep getting the type of revenue they get from kiddie games, they will keep making games that even our 88 year old grandfather can enjoy because he is part of the family, and the wii (as we all know) is for families. But slowly the big N is shadowing the people who have loyally supported in it's times of need (a.k.a GC, N64). By trying to make loved games less completive, and easier for the family, nintendo is taking one step forward in the financial market but 2 steps back in the fan dept.

Which i find to be very disappointing because here we are "sucking nintendos ****" and getting nothing from it. For me as a gamer, other than playing expected good releases, i would like to play games that can compete with the caliber of the games i mentioned before. But we get one disappointment after another. Redsteel was supposed to be mature and intuitive, so was No More heroes (mind you both published by Ubi Soft) weren't in no means capable of competing with other titles for the 360 or PS3.

So when a game like The Conduit comes around, looking to be promising (due to hype), and offering things that Wii owners haven't seen the lights of, I'm risking myself because it could suck, but gambling that it wont.

At the same time it shouldn't be the only game to look forward to (in terms of releases) but sadly it is.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Honestly, I have no problem with hype, but the comparing every FPS to Halo, really irritates me. Sony did it with Killzone, which I refused to play. Now, they got wise and are just marketing Killzone 2 as the sequel that will innovate that game. If it can do that, GREAT, but they learned the mistake in comparing it to Halo.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
I haven't touched my Wii (except to unplug it) in about 2 months. There just aren't any games that interest me in it right now.

I feel like I've outgrown Nintendo. I've owned every Nintendo system growing up, and practically always had a controller in my hands. With only a few notable exceptions, Nintendo had all the best games when I was growing up. But now, not so at all.

Nintendo as a company has decided to emphasize immediate profitability over simply making quality games and systems, and trusting that it will pay off. They see an untapped market, and want to venture into it. I get that. It makes them money.

It's precisely like making kids movies: You can churn them out by the dozen using the same formula over and over, and kids will never get sick of them. For the amount of effort put in (next to none) you get a large monetary reward. It's safe and profitable. There's a reason there's always a consistent stream of crappy kids movies: they fill seats.

Unfortunately Nintendo left the rest of us behind when they took their new direction. They intentionally go out of their way to make modern and mature gaming impossible. Friend codes are fine and all, but should be optional. Their mandatory use is mind boggling. Lack of online content, and poor usage of it when present further exemplifies this.

Honestly, just go to your local GameStop and count the number of Wii games out right now that start with "Barbie" or "My little", it's astounding.

What games am I excited about that are coming out?
-Diablo III
-Starcraft II
-Spore (PC)
-Resident Evil 5
-Star Ocean (maybe)
-Too Human

Nothing Nintendo on there. Hell, I'd put future Halo 3 DLC higher up on my anticipation list than anything from Nintendo right now.

It's a **** shame.

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
For myself, it has come to a point where I have to wait for reviews, analysis, gameplay, every aspect of a hyped game before I actually purchase set game. It's good to have friends who buy consoles and games almost immediatly after the release. I then decide if this is worth the purchase (let's just say not everyone is wealthy). I've avoided overhyped/games that don't deliver their worth numberous times, especaily games produced by Nintendo.

At a very young age, I typically went for virtual consoles that were the least expensive. That decision I most likely regreat; Though Nintendo had popular titles, the smaller series just didn't get my money's worth (even hyped titles had doubt), especially now. It seems the 'quick cash' method of consumer goods is a method Nintendo has considered/used for producing games. Now, I've grown up, and my past favorites (Sonic games, Nintendo, and Cartoon Network) have not produced quality work.

Based on Nintendo's approach, they will slowly lose the support of their long-time, faithful gamers. In the future, I predict that Nintendo will almost completly lose support from their long-time fans and competative consumers, and their focus will derive on a younger generation and family-based activities. Famous series will eventually die down, or take a new apporach, different from the original basis of the series (my main worries are Star Fox, The Legand of Zelda, and the DK series).

Who knows? We may see more add-on gadgets (Powerglove, DK Bongos, Wii Fit pad). There may be a gaming-based activity for everything in everyday life.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
What bothers me too is when Nintendo rehashes old franchise games, then they turn out to be WAY too easy. Play Super Mario 64 then play Super Mario 64 DS. Galaxy was pretty much even easier, then Brawl was hit or miss for me. I don't understand it at all.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Mind you, most games that Nintendo has made for the Wii have been good games. Galaxy? Easy, but definately fun. MP3? It was pretty kickass. Mario Kart Wii? Good game, not the best in the series, but still good.

With the exception of Mario Party 8, Nintendo has made good games for there console. The people that are to blame are the third party companies.

The reason why Nintendo isn't taken seriously by third party companies is because their games don't have to go through something called 'concept approval'. Both Sony and Microsoft do this. Before they give licenses for third parties to make games, Sony and MS have the companies come in and tell them what the game is about. This is to prevent genres from being to common, or just stupid games.

Nintendo doesn't do concept approval. This is why we have so many ****ty minigame collections. And not the fun 'pay attention or your screwed' excellent party minigame colelctions like Wario Ware. Just ****ty ones with stupid ideas.

Who the **** let Bomberman turn into a minigame collection?

Top Bottom