• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No more good games for Wii now?

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I don't like this business of innovation = good, to me you can innovate and turn everything into a mess. It annoys me when people look at games like FF and Halo and say "It's the same thing as last time, there's no innovation. ****sux." As long as the formula works then it's fine but revamping the game just for the sake of it is stupid and it only gets worse when the game turns into crap.

I also don't like all the peripherals Wii has like the balance board, the Zapper and all the crap you can name, it adds up to as much if not more than the other consoles.

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
I will make the following statements about geometry wars. It was originally a mini-game in project Gotham Racing 2. (source ign)
There is a free trial version on XBox live arcade. I played the trial version just barely, and looked up gamplay videos online.
Galaxies doesn't really add anything to the game, and it's really not worth the $30 price tag. Maybe as a $10 WiiWare download, but yeah.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
I will make the following statements about geometry wars. It was originally a mini-game in project Gotham Racing 2. (source ign)
There is a free trial version on XBox live arcade. I played the trial version just barely, and looked up gamplay videos online.
Galaxies doesn't really add anything to the game, and it's really not worth the $30 price tag. Maybe as a $10 WiiWare download, but yeah.
That's fine, I've honestly never played it. I heard it was better on Wii because of the notched joystick (360 doesn't have one) and that it was just one of those fun, old school-type games. Not going to be everyone's bread and butter.

I don't like this business of innovation = good, to me you can innovate and turn everything into a mess. It annoys me when people look at games like FF and Halo and say "It's the same thing as last time, there's no innovation. ****sux." As long as the formula works then it's fine but revamping the game just for the sake of it is stupid and it only gets worse when the game turns into crap.
Innovation for innovation's sake is, I'll wholeheartedly agree with you, a terrible thing. It's the idea that "just toss in something new" that brings us the dreaded principle of waggle. It doesn't add anything to the gameplay--just the opposite--and it's there completely arbitrarily. And there certainly are series of games that continue to update themselves without ruining the core gameplay that made them great in the first place (Final Fantasy and Resident Evil, to name two). But there certainly are instances, plenty of them, where innovation genuinely has something to offer gamers--IR pointer controls, for instance. These innovations are for the best, and they really contribute something without taking anything away.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed is a good example of innovation going for the best on the Wii. IGN's hands-on reported that the motion controls added into the game simply worked, and really added something to the experience. Depending on the way you swung the remote, that was the way that you swung your lightsaber in the game (unlike the wonky Twilight Princess swordplay). If you have the chance, I highly recommend reading the entire IGN preview, it really goes to show what a good developer can do with a Wii game if they're trying.

So, yes, innovation should not come at the expense of the fun that made the games great in the first place. Obviously, the point at which a game is "ruined" will vary greatly from person to person, but I think it's easy to agree that they should absolutely not ruin an experience.

SunriseW12

Smash Apprentice
I noticed following Nintendo policy there is usually

1 Mario Platform Game (Galaxy on Wii)
1 Mario Kart Game (Mario Kart Wii)
1 Good LOZ game (Twilight Princess although there is hope since it was for GCN too)
1 Smash Brothers Game (Brawl)

In fact Nintendo usually just creates one good game for each system and moves on so is the Wii in trouble now?

The last time more then one Mario Platform game was made was for Gameboy and Original NES.

N64 had two LoZ games although MM was not that great.

However, the pattern seems to hold true unfortunately.
Nothing you say is credible.

NeBz

Smash Journeyman
ROFL. You obviously haven't played much brawl then.
He exaggerated a bit. But it's kinda true. Brawl is horrible for competition. It'll still have tournaments but not because it's great for competition. Anyway, let's stay on topic.

O hey look the balance board being used for something else than a scale :ohwell:
That is ****ING awesome! I'll keep my eyes on this one. I hope it turns out good.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed is a good example of innovation going for the best on the Wii. IGN's hands-on reported that the motion controls added into the game simply worked, and really added something to the experience. Depending on the way you swung the remote, that was the way that you swung your lightsaber in the game (unlike the wonky Twilight Princess swordplay). If you have the chance, I highly recommend reading the entire IGN preview, it really goes to show what a good developer can do with a Wii game if they're trying.
I think I'll pick the PS3 version for the revolutionary physics.

And yes, a game doesn't have to be innovative to be good/fun.

My definition of hardcore. Well, games like Wii fit and Family Table Tennis are casual. Games like Metroid, Zelda and Mario are Hardcore.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
You don't have to invent a concept to make an impact, just perfect it (which I think it did). Suddenly after having played Galaxy, normal platformers aren't going to feel quite as neat.
I don't think it did any more with it than any other past titles did.

You're definitely right that normal platformers won't feel the same; I think it's a breath of fresh air from that mess. I HATE that you press one direction and go in another, the you can't see half of the place you're standing on...it's a mess. Maybe some like it. I hate it.

Super Paper Mario has an aggregate score of 88% on Gamerankings.com, with not a single score below a 70%--not exactly a flop. I played and loved the first two, yes, and I don't think the change between TTYD and SPM is quite as drastic as Metroid becoming a puzzle game (maybe a pinball game, lol). Between the first two Paper Mario titles and the two handheld games, the "Mario in an RPG" collection of games hadn't really changed much. If SPM had just been exactly what TTYD was, it wouldn't have stood out in the least, and worse yet it might've risked being regarded as what the Megaman Battle Network franchise has become, "Another one? Really? Didn't I JUST play this last year?"
It's not as drastic obviously, that was exaggeration for the sake of effect.

And I doubt that SPM would've become like that. I think a better comparison of "Didn't I JUST play this last year?" would be the Mario Party series. What are they on now, #9001?

Who's to say that we can't? Look at MegaMan 9. I also have to wonder just what sort of "REAL" innovation you're looking for, because besides the motion sensor we've seen an online store, multiplayer online gameplay, DLC, and custom soundtracks--maybe not as well implemented as on certain other systems, but the inclusion alone is notable. What other innovations were you really holding out for?
Okay, great, we can get a WiiWare title. I don't want ONE title. I want them to CONTINUE 2D Metroid. Super Metroid is simply awesome, while I've played through Metroid Fusion at least 30 times, doing Speed Runs, 1% Runs, etc. Those games are awesome and I still play them. While you could argue that that means we don't need another 2D Metroid because I've got my two, think about this; if those two were so stellar, why would they not do another one? Super Metroid is widely considered the best Metroid game (except for by Nintendo Power...Zero Mission? REALLY?) and it's not a secret, so I don't know why they're not seeing this. I doubt a WiiWare title will spawn more than one game, and that's beside the point--there is NO REASON for them to keep 3D on the DS (they've already had one, unless they realize their mistake they're probably not going to 2D). I'm fine with more FPAs, Metroid Prime is my second favorite (arguably tied with Fusion, I'm not really decided on that) Metroid game, and #3 not far behind. But I don't want to see all FPA.

As for innovation, I'm talking about GAME innovation. The system-wide innovation is what I'm against because it only encourages the lack of innovation elsewhere.

How is a game that requires a gamer to be really good at it to beat it not hardcore? Does a game somehow require a million online clans that play for 50 hours per week to be hardcore? Or is it "A mature experience", because I don't think that mature=hardcore necessarily. And, did you even take Galaxy past the 60 star mark? If not, you've really not experienced what the game really had to throw at you--after that point, it starts kicking your ***.
I'm not saying that's NOT a requirement, I'm just saying it's not the only one.

I disagree with a game having a following making it hardcore; millions of soccer moms all over the country love Wii Fit. That's the most non-hardcore in the entire world.

As for my definition, I can't be sure. I'm trying to define it in my head, and I can't. I think there are too many things that would be taken into account. As such, I probably don't have a right to criticize other definitions, but...I just can't come up with my own. I think it's better for me to leave it like that rather than try in vain to define it.

As for Galaxy, yes. I don't get games and then drop them unless they're awful. It's a waste of money, and as long as they're not too bad it's not a bad experience. Also, if I just played it to a certain point and then dropped it, how could I honestly say it's too easy or not a good game? I couldn't, so I had to play through to see for myself.

It oozes style, has a fun and rewarding as hell combat system, has great, fun characters, and a ton of collectibles to keep hoarders interested. It's not perfect--far from it--but it's a hell of alot of fun and few would call it anything but a hardcore title.
Okay, maybe it is hardcore. It doesn't sound like my kind of thing, but I'll leave it at that.

DK Jungle Beat had an aggregate score of 82% from Gamerankings.com. Hard to call that one bad.
Actually, it's very easy. I am allowed to have an opinion aside from what a bunch of people voted on Gamerankings. Stop quoting it as a source for every game. If I don't think the game was good, I'm allowed to say that.

It's easy to get stuck on the main franchises and first-party games when you're dealing with a Nintendo platform, I understand. Nintendo has a long and proud history as a developer and a publisher and so any perceived "weakness" from them is regarded as a terrible thing. Well, it just has to be known that an owner of a Nintendo console has a lot more to enjoy than just Nintendo games--there really are reasons to own a Wii without having to play a Nintendo game. It helps, it really does, but it's not required. Honestly, you could take away all of the first-party titles I own right now and I'd still be overjoyed with the Wii.
For me, I'd never buy a console solely on the extra titles. I just don't want to do that, and that's why, despite my disappointment with Nintendo's path, I'll probably stick with them until their franchises are no longer worth playing. Their franchises have declined, but they're still good.

I can only thank some great higher power that the Wii is getting more than just the same games the 360 and PS3 are getting. Alot of those games are built around graphics and extensive online modes, with single-player and local multiplayer taking a back seat. Many Wii-ports are just ports of the already shoddy PS2 experiences, because developers are too lazy to build new engines. With the other systems, if you have an engine built for one then you've already got it built for the other, so it's easy to port it over. Since the Wii lacks a lot of the graphical shine that the other consoles get, developers have to give the Wii version something that makes it stand out, a reason justifying it's existence beyond being an effort at money-grubbing. They take this as the point at which you insert motion controls (waggle, **** you!). Alot of these fail, to be sure, but some of these "Wii-makes" have really turned out fantastic (read: Resident Evil 4).
"Wii-makes" are different. Twilight Princess was pretty much just that (it was ported from GameCube at the last second), and while it wasn't as good as past Zelda titles, I'd say it's my second favorite for Wii. I've heard great things about Resident Evil 4 (although this is more Nintendo Power talking). That's not what I'm talking about. I loved Soul Calibur II. Soul Calibur III wasn't as good, but I still like the style of the game. Then we get Legends and the other systems are getting a real Soul Calibur? Different, fine. Not even getting the franchise because we have to get a special game, not fine. I don't want to have to buy another console for that; as I said, I buy consoles for first-party titles.

Luckily, now Wii owners are getting a reason to own the Wii version of the game rather than the 360 or PS3 version. Motion controls continue to be refined, and many developers have started taking advantage of the pointer controls to really revolutionize tired genres. Just check out Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, the Wii is probably getting the best version of that game.
The Force Unleashed is one of the few exceptions to the rule of Wii owners getting the worse game.

And, Sonic and the Secret Rings was terrible across the board, not just on Wii. Nintendo's console didn't make it bad, Sega did. I don't much care for Sonic games generally though, so it's not much of an issue for me.
I'm not saying it's the Wii's fault; Sonic games have been going downhill since it first went to 3D (SA2 was great, but others were less than stellar). But constant movement made it feel like a racing game...yet not. If Sega hadn't been so inclined to do motion sensor controls, that part wouldn't have happened. And that, in my opinion, is what makes the game virtually unplayable. I can hardly control myself because I try to go backwards and the motion sensor glitches and sends me way forward.

Because it's a good game.
I wasn't talking about the game entirely...it IS a good game. I'm saying what does multiple planets have to do with anything?

Look, your a cool guy, but you slam new games just because they try to do something different. It pisses me off. Bringing Metroid into the FPA genre was a logical step for Metroid. And they were good games (except for Hunters. That one was mediocre at best). But who knows, you may get your wish of a 2-D Metroid with WiiWare. Nintendo may follow in Capcom's footsteps with the new 8-Bit Megaman.
I've already addressed this in my response to derek.haines, but I'll re-adress it here. I don't have a problem with FPA in general, obviously it was logical. I have a problem with FPA and nothing but.

Same thing for WiiWare. I want 2D Metroid to continue normally, not as a spinoff "fool around" (which is what WiiWare is for) title. It deserves more than that.

Mario Galaxy? Fantastic game. It introduced a revival in the platformer franchise. We had a few Kirby games, Ratchet and Clank, and... nothing else. Then Galaxy comes along, a fantastic game that did innovate (yes, I dare say it did have some fresh and original ideas in it. The gravity system, for starters), and it's starting to revitalize interest in the Platformer genre, which is my favorite genre in general.
I love platforming. I hated Galaxy. It didn't revitalize anything for me. I don't see how this did anything.

Plus, if any game follows in its footsteps as a platformer, it'll only be viewable as a copy of Galaxy. Mario won't be able to pull it off again because people will say it's Galaxy 2.0. So it really won't do anything more than one game. Revitalize platforming my ***.

Hardcore games are hard games. It can't mean anything else. I can tell that you consider Super Metroid hardcore. Well, it's a hard game. Matter of fact, give me the names of your favorite games. I guaruntee you they will be hard.
I'm not saying it's not a requirement, just saying it's not the only one.

Definition of hardcore from dictionary.com:
unswervingly committed; uncompromising. Yeah. You have to be committed to a hardcore game to beat it. Why?

It's hard.
No. STOP QUOTING DICTIONARY DEFINITIONS. Hardcore isn't even necessarily a fitting term for "hardcore" gamers or the games themselves, it's just sort of a term that stuck. I don't particularly care for the term, there was even a topic about it somewhere on SmashBoards, but I use it because everyone else does and if I were to find and use another term, no one else would have a clue what I'm talking about.

But your problem is innovation. Yeah. Twilight Princess? No innovation. Still an excellent game. It isn't as easy to innovate as it was 20 years ago, because not as much was done. In today's age, it's hard because we've done so much with gaming.
I never said TP was bad. Not as good as past games in my opinion, but as I said, second best for Wii in my opinion.

You shouldn't expect something new every time. The same old may not be as exciting, but if you came back to it, it's probably good.
Woah, woah; you're accusing me of not liking the old stuff? Have you heard me begging for another 2D Metroid? I phrased it wrong before. I don't like games that go backwards in terms of how good the game is because they're so focused on motion sensor. It's like games that suck because they spend so much time on graphics. Motion sensor is to the Wii as graphics are to Xbox/PS. It doesn't happen all of the time, but it can screw up games.

Okay, why do you play Video games THIS generation? You seem forced and you said it sucked.
"Suck" was mostly exaggeration. All of the consoles have some large downsides.

In any case, I didn't realize the Wii would be a casual fest until I got it, so I'm kind of stuck with it now unless I sell it. But it's probably better than the other consoles anyways, so I'm not. The Wii has a few good titles, they're just few and far between.

Metroid Prime 3, (only played on a friends Wii)once you learn the control scheme the challenge dissipates, multi player may still have some potential. (even though it's multi player sux compared to Halo)
Metroid Prime 3 doesn't have any multiplayer. And it still rocks compared to Halo, it's the most overrated game in the world.

ROFL. You obviously haven't played much brawl then.
You obviously are still blinded to the gaping downsides of Brawl as I used to be. It requires some skill, but very minimal skill.

I've played melee competatively in tournaments for a very long time. Melee is of course better than brawl in technicality. But saying Brawl is not competative is not true. As someone who plays both games competatively, brawl will still have tournaments.
Having tournaments =/= being competitive. A person can live on a farm with pigs and act exactly like they do. Doesn't make him a pig.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I have never before seen so many quotes in one post as Firus's above. Wow.

I'm not even going to attempt to quote that mess, so I'll just comment on a few things that I read.

Firstly, why devolve to a 2D Metroid when you can have a 2D-style Metroid, but in 3D? I think that not only would it feel like the older titles in the series, but it would attract hardcore and new gamers. Plus, with 3D, they could do so much more graphically, and mechanically. There's a point where sprites just don't cut it.

I have a nerve that the Wii will get a Soul Calibur 4 port later on. Don't know why, but it seems like we very well may. We did for Rock Band about half a year after its debut on PS3/360. I will never touch Soul Calibur Legends, but I'm in high hopes for a SC4 port, even if it's half a year from now, especially because I do not own a PS3 or 360.

And for the record, although I did not enjoy Galaxy as much as I did Mario 64, or in some instances, Sunshine, I did find it to be a wonderful game. Easy, yes. Entertaining, extremely. It had a strange concept, and judging from the fact that Mario was able to breathe in space, along with everyone else for that matter, it was obviously designed for casuals, who would not question such a strange phenomenon, rather just enjoying the game.

I have to say though, collecting all 120 stars the first go was well, well worth it. Replaying the game
as Luigi
made it entirely worth it.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Same thing for WiiWare. I want 2D Metroid to continue normally, not as a spinoff "fool around" (which is what WiiWare is for) title. It deserves more than that.
I agree it deserves more than that. I agree with you that Super Metroid was the best, and that Metroid is a genre better suited for 2-D. But, I doubt Nintendo will ever make a major 2-D metroid again.

I love platforming. I hated Galaxy. It didn't revitalize anything for me. I don't see how this did anything.

Plus, if any game follows in its footsteps as a platformer, it'll only be viewable as a copy of Galaxy. Mario won't be able to pull it off again because people will say it's Galaxy 2.0. So it really won't do anything more than one game. Revitalize platforming my ***.
I said it revitalized interest in the genre by being such a good game, critically and commercially. If you didn't like it, fine. You don't have to like it. But now developers are starting to think 'hey, this platformer thing doesn't seem to bad...'.

I highly doubt any game will be a copy of Galaxy (especially Mario games). Borrow ideas from it, definately. But be a clone? No.

I never said TP was bad. Not as good as past games in my opinion, but as I said, second best for Wii in my opinion.
I never said that you said it was bad. I was just using it as an example. Sorry for the confusion.

Woah, woah; you're accusing me of not liking the old stuff? Have you heard me begging for another 2D Metroid? I phrased it wrong before. I don't like games that go backwards in terms of how good the game is because they're so focused on motion sensor. It's like games that suck because they spend so much time on graphics. Motion sensor is to the Wii as graphics are to Xbox/PS. It doesn't happen all of the time, but it can screw up games.
How did I accuse you of not liking old stuff? You love old stuff. The entire point of my post is that you had to acknowledge that there probably won't be very many things made like that anymore.

Yeah, you can love them. But don't be to harsh on the newer stuff because it's not 2-D.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I have never before seen so many quotes in one post as Firus's above. Wow.

I'm not even going to attempt to quote that mess, so I'll just comment on a few things that I read.

Firstly, why devolve to a 2D Metroid when you can have a 2D-style Metroid, but in 3D? I think that not only would it feel like the older titles in the series, but it would attract hardcore and new gamers. Plus, with 3D, they could do so much more graphically, and mechanically. There's a point where sprites just don't cut it.
For DS, I think sprites can cut it. In my opinion, 2D looks better on DS than 3D. It looks too blocky on the DS. Plus, 2D is awesome. If 3D had never been invented, there wouldn't even be a problem with 2D, but because something new was discovered, we have to have the new thing. I don't see it as devolving, because I see nothing wrong with 2D.

For the consoles, though...that would be really awesome. If they could do a side-view 3D Metroid, that'd be great. It would still have that 2D concept without people shunning it for being 2D.

I just got an idea for the next handheld Metroid, though. The touch screen could be a map screen. Now, in Metroid, all of the time, you find yourself getting in a dead-end and finding out that you need something else before you can get through an area. Or maybe you just come across a secret passage or something leading to a powerup and you need, say, Power Bombs to get to it. Well, just like in Phantom Hourglass, you could take notes and such on the map. It may seem like copying Phantom Hourglass, but it was a good concept that I think would truly work well for Metroid. Heck, if I had that in every Metroid game I'd probably have an easier time getting powerups.

I have a nerve that the Wii will get a Soul Calibur 4 port later on. Don't know why, but it seems like we very well may. We did for Rock Band about half a year after its debut on PS3/360. I will never touch Soul Calibur Legends, but I'm in high hopes for a SC4 port, even if it's half a year from now, especially because I do not own a PS3 or 360.
Hm...it's possible. It would make sense, since Legends came out a long time ago and Soul Calibur IV just recently.

And for the record, although I did not enjoy Galaxy as much as I did Mario 64, or in some instances, Sunshine, I did find it to be a wonderful game. Easy, yes. Entertaining, extremely. It had a strange concept, and judging from the fact that Mario was able to breathe in space, along with everyone else for that matter, it was obviously designed for casuals, who would not question such a strange phenomenon, rather just enjoying the game.

I have to say though, collecting all 120 stars the first go was well, well worth it. Replaying the game
as Luigi
made it entirely worth it.
Eh, difficulty aside I still didn't find it to be a fulfilling game. It was just kind of...bland to me. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but looking back, I'm pretty sure that's why I didn't like it as much.

Spire

III
BRoomer
For the consoles, though...that would be really awesome. If they could do a side-view 3D Metroid, that'd be great. It would still have that 2D concept without people shunning it for being 2D.
Precisely what I was proposing - a 2D-style Metroid game in 3D for the Wii. I would adore that.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
If that happened though, every gaming comic, magazine, and website would either hail it as proof than Nintendo doesn't want the Wii to be labeled as a gimmick, or it will be bombed because they're taking a step backwards.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Well Capcom seems to be okay so far (Mega Man 9) so I can't see people being a douche because Nintendo did the same thing

derek.haines

Smash Ace
Yeah, the gaming industry really tends to enjoy steps towards nostalgia--for all the looking it does towards the future, it keeps a firm grip upon the past and where it came from.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Precisely what I was proposing - a 2D-style Metroid game in 3D for the Wii. I would adore that.
Well then, we're on the same page.

I would never propose a 2D game for a console. As much as I love 2D, and as much as I miss the days of only 2D (in some ways), it would still be senseless to return to a full-fledged 2D on a console. 2D style game in 3D, now that's the best solution there is for Metroid. In 2D style, you can have wall jumping, which I love (that Screw Attack Wall Jumping doesn't count); maybe the Space Jump, since it doesn't make it extremely easy in a 2D-style game; maybe even the Speed Booster. Heck, maybe they could even do a remake of Super Metroid in this fashion. Now THAT would be awesome. I can't believe they haven't brought back Super Metroid at all yet.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Well then, we're on the same page.

I would never propose a 2D game for a console. As much as I love 2D, and as much as I miss the days of only 2D (in some ways), it would still be senseless to return to a full-fledged 2D on a console. 2D style game in 3D, now that's the best solution there is for Metroid. In 2D style, you can have wall jumping, which I love (that Screw Attack Wall Jumping doesn't count); maybe the Space Jump, since it doesn't make it extremely easy in a 2D-style game; maybe even the Speed Booster. Heck, maybe they could even do a remake of Super Metroid in this fashion. Now THAT would be awesome. I can't believe they haven't brought back Super Metroid at all yet.
Yeah, they've brought back A Link to the Past for GBA, so a Super Metroid revamp/rerelease/remake (all different) is pretty necessary. Now that Kirby Super Star is being remade, I have a hunch that Super Metroid may be in the works. To this day, it has sported some of the best 2D sprite-based graphics I've ever seen. I'd love to see a revamped 2D version for DS or a completely 3D version for the Wii.

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
I seem to remember LoZ four swords, the version they had for the Game Cube was 2D, But a lot like Zelda II the adventure of link, I'm not so sure you could call it a real Legend of Zelda game, It's a Zelda spin off, and actually was a pretty entertaining party game. Extremely boring alone though...
But yeah, using 2D graphics for a full priced title when you are capable of smooth rich 3D is just silly,

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Yeah, they've brought back A Link to the Past for GBA, so a Super Metroid revamp/rerelease/remake (all different) is pretty necessary. Now that Kirby Super Star is being remade, I have a hunch that Super Metroid may be in the works. To this day, it has sported some of the best 2D sprite-based graphics I've ever seen. I'd love to see a revamped 2D version for DS or a completely 3D version for the Wii.
I'm pretty excited to play Kirby Super Star, even if it is a remake. I wanted to get it for my SNES, but I looked it up on eBay, and it, along with a few other good titles like Earthbound and Super Mario RPG were like...$70? Not happening.

But yeah, Super Metroid has some of my absolute favorite sprites. I love them.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
The skateboarding game looks so lame and gimmicky. I mean it's like Wii Fit, it's fun to spice up working out and stuff, but after a while, you start to wonder if you need a video game to do stuff you can easily do in real life. They took a poll recently 62-66% of all people who bought Wii Fit, said they stopped using it. I mean Tony Hawk was fun because of all the control you had of the skateboard, while this is bordering on real life skating. The problem is if you are putting the effort to skateboard, why not just take it up instead?

I saw a list on another topic, there is absolutely nothing I want coming out for Wii and that really depresses me. I think for PS3 I am spending over $400 for the rest of the year, and PC, well, just $50. Hopefully, Wiiware steps up, but I'll probably get Mega Man 9 for PSN.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Leave it to Nintendo to make the best games in the first two years of the console's launch, then not step it up until its death. Happens every time.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Who knows, Nintendo has claimed to have a few big announcments for E3, which is only a week or so away. I'm still hoping for a Star Fox and F-Zero crossover, but I'd be fine with just a Star Fox game and a F-Zero game.

Hopefully an Animal Crossing game will show up as well.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Do not get your hopes up for E3 announcements. It's just a way to destroy you later. E3, I am just looking forward to the confirmed stuff - Rock Band 2 setlist, probably Guitar Hero World Tour setlist, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, and Spore. Anything else I'll be surprised with.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
Do not get your hopes up for E3 announcements. It's just a way to destroy you later. E3, I am just looking forward to the confirmed stuff - Rock Band 2 setlist, probably Guitar Hero World Tour setlist, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, and Spore. Anything else I'll be surprised with.
Blizzard isn't going to be at E3, so you won't see any Starcraft, or Diablo 3.

Darkslash

Smash Master
The skateboarding game looks so lame and gimmicky. I mean it's like Wii Fit, it's fun to spice up working out and stuff, but after a while, you start to wonder if you need a video game to do stuff you can easily do in real life. They took a poll recently 62-66% of all people who bought Wii Fit, said they stopped using it. I mean Tony Hawk was fun because of all the control you had of the skateboard, while this is bordering on real life skating. The problem is if you are putting the effort to skateboard, why not just take it up instead?

I saw a list on another topic, there is absolutely nothing I want coming out for Wii and that really depresses me. I think for PS3 I am spending over $400 for the rest of the year, and PC, well, just $50. Hopefully, Wiiware steps up, but I'll probably get Mega Man 9 for PSN.
Well that image i posted for Skate it, was optional. You can also use the Wiimote as well. As seen here

you can just use the Wiimote.

And isn't around the time Nintendo should reveal a new zelda game? Its already passed the 2 year mark. And I lost all hope for Rock Band. If there gonna give us another Gimped version again, then i'll just stick to guitar hero.

derek.haines

Smash Ace

Why play GTA when I could just kill people in real life? Part of the fun of video games is the fantasy, and obviously in the Skate It game you're going to be able to do tricks that no human would ever be able to manage. You'll create your avatar and play whoever you want to play, doing things you'd never be able to do, the game just brings you a step closer to the "reality" of it.

I wouldn't hold your breath for MM9 on PSN. Capcom has publicly stated that they really don't like Sony (which is why the Gamecube got all the core Resident Evil games last generation). The only reason the PS3 is getting Resident Evil 5 is because the 360 has sold all of 6 consoles in Japan and the Wii wouldn't be able to handle where they wanted to go with it graphically.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I wouldn't hold your breath for MM9 on PSN. Capcom has publicly stated that they really don't like Sony (which is why the Gamecube got all the core Resident Evil games last generation). The only reason the PS3 is getting Resident Evil 5 is because the 360 has sold all of 6 consoles in Japan and the Wii wouldn't be able to handle where they wanted to go with it graphically.
GamesRadar: If there is a XBLA or PSN version in the making, will there be any differences from Wii to 360 to PS3, like online capabilities or galleries?

Inafune: We haven’t announced a XBLA or PSN title yet. Do the fans want them? As a rule, I try not to create differences between platforms. Differences based on platform capabilities may optimize possibilities and gameplay specific to a particular platform, yet that is not necessarily welcomed by the users. Everyone desires what s/he has to be better than the others’ and it will be unfair to create differences in my opinion. To avoid such a situation, I always try to create equality across the platforms and make sure everyone will be happy with our creations.
A. Capcom is a publisher. Publishers are in a business. They will not "hate" a company for any reason. The developer decides what console a game will go on.

B. Skating games are ridiculous in general. Wiimote controls or not, it looks entirely too gimmicky for me.

That is my biggest grief with the Wii. Why must every single game give up longer gameplay, cripser graphics, and better load times in favor of being able to move the camera with the controller?

derek.haines

Smash Ace
A. Capcom is a publisher. Publishers are in a business. They will not "hate" a company for any reason. The developer decides what console a game will go on.

B. Skating games are ridiculous in general. Wiimote controls or not, it looks entirely too gimmicky for me.

That is my biggest grief with the Wii. Why must every single game give up longer gameplay, cripser graphics, and better load times in favor of being able to move the camera with the controller?
1. Game publishers are most certainly not above squabbling amongst themselves and with the companies that make consoles, particularly Japanese companies. There are most certainly allegiances and preferences. It's about money, that's true, but it's alot about pride as well.

2. Wii games have WAY better load times than PS3 or XBOX 360 games. This was just covered in the most recent episode of the IGN Playstation Team's Podcast Beyond.

3. Longer gameplay I won't argue with you about, but that doesn't seem to be a problem exclusive to Wii. Most games seem to be clocking in at about 12-18 hours to finish, which is incredibly disappointing to me (I'm more of a fan of 60 hour beasts). Graphics, however, I will. Between the PC, the PS3, and the 360, it's little more than a pissing contest. To quote Christian Svensson, Capcom's vice president of business development and strategic planning, "For me, the Wii is about new experiences -- not about pushing polygons and textures." Looking at Mario Galaxy, however, nobody's to say that the Wii absolutely cannot have a pretty experience graphically.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
All I do now a days is buy VC games....
That's why I'm glad I have a SNES, and why I want to get an NES ASAP. If I buy any VC games, it'll be a special reason. I'm not giving Nintendo money for the things they did in the past so they can make Wii Fit: The Sequel. So I buy them off of eBay for the original console and Nintendo gets none of my money. Obviously it's more expensive, but it's better to play on the original system anyways, in my opinion.

Who knows, Nintendo has claimed to have a few big announcments for E3, which is only a week or so away. I'm still hoping for a Star Fox and F-Zero crossover, but I'd be fine with just a Star Fox game and a F-Zero game.

Hopefully an Animal Crossing game will show up as well.
Sega has claimed to be bringing Sonic back to his roots for years, too. But in both cases, it's naive and only going to hurt you to believe them. Go into it expecting nothing. If they give us something good, hooray! If they don't, we didn't waste our time getting excited.

Crimson King said:
Yeah, I agree. Nintendo's wasting everyone's time with these type of games. The casuals can spend their money better somewhere else and the gamers don't want them at all. But I suppose it doesn't matter to them; they've already made their tons of money off of Wii Fit.

Why play GTA when I could just kill people in real life? Part of the fun of video games is the fantasy, and obviously in the Skate It game you're going to be able to do tricks that no human would ever be able to manage. You'll create your avatar and play whoever you want to play, doing things you'd never be able to do, the game just brings you a step closer to the "reality" of it.
Um...do you kill people in real life often?

You're right, part of the fun of video games is fantasy. That's why realistic games are stupid. Skateboarding on the Wii and putting in the same effort is pointless. Get a real skateboard.

Agreed. I'm sick of this "realistic" junk overruling anything else about games. It needs innovation? Well, can't have anything else then. Nintendo is way too innovation-happy.

2. Wii games have WAY better load times than PS3 or XBOX 360 games. This was just covered in the most recent episode of the IGN Playstation Team's Podcast Beyond.
Just because they're better than PS3/Xbox 360 load times doesn't mean they couldn't be better. And you can argue that that's just asking for a lot, but I shouldn't settle for something just because it's the best thing out there at the moment. If everyone in the world took things only as far as they needed to to get ahead of everyone else, things in our society wouldn't be as developed as they are, most likely.

3. Longer gameplay I won't argue with you about, but that doesn't seem to be a problem exclusive to Wii. Most games seem to be clocking in at about 12-18 hours to finish, which is incredibly disappointing to me (I'm more of a fan of 60 hour beasts). Graphics, however, I will. Between the PC, the PS3, and the 360, it's little more than a pissing contest. To quote Christian Svensson, Capcom's vice president of business development and strategic planning, "For me, the Wii is about new experiences -- not about pushing polygons and textures." Looking at Mario Galaxy, however, nobody's to say that the Wii absolutely cannot have a pretty experience graphically.
Again, it doesn't get excused just because everything else has it. That's going back to High School where kids are always saying "Everyone's doing it". Okay, everyone's doing pot. Doesn't make it excuseable for you to do it.

As for graphics, I pretty much agree. Graphics are...you know, who cares? Super Metroid and Wind Waker (just to take two) are great games. But the former is in 2D and the latter has very cartoony graphics. On the other hand, you've got games like Halo and Galaxy that have great graphics, yet...they're not good games (obviously my opinion, but you can surely find examples that suit you if you don't agree with me) in general. Graphics don't make or break games.

As for the Wii being about new experiences, and not pushing polygons and textures...maybe I'm taking this wrong, but does that have anything to do with going against graphics? It sounds more to me like he's saying...the Wii isn't about video games? Great. Further proof that the Wii is destroying the concept of video games. I wish I could go back to the good days where video games were not as they are today. I always despised how video games are looked down upon and not accepted, so I sort of hoped that they would become more mainstream and people would no longer look down upon them. But now they've become mainstream, and not only has it screwed up video games, but people still look down upon the real games. Screw conformity.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Idk if this has been mentioned. But The Conduit is going to be pretty epic.
Red Steel was supposed to be as well. I am so sick of The Conduit already. The graphics are not 360 level, as purported, and the gameplay looks like Half-Life 1 if it was on the Nintendo 64. Fact is, ESPECIALLY with the Wii, do not judge an FPS until it's out.

Could it be the best FPS ever? Absolutely, I hope it is so I can get some use out of my Wii other than VC games and ports I didn't own before. But there is no reason to overhype this game now. Look what hype did to Halo 3. Now, it's considered the worst in the series, when it's just as good as the rest. Same goes for Brawl, and pretty much every other sequel that took years to come out. Hype can be very bad.

FirustheHedgehog, forced innovation seems to be the Wiis problem. Instead of making the Wiimote an immersion tool, they make the Wiimote the only tool. This makes it a lot hard for anyone who has shaky hands, such as myself with horrible carpal tunnel syndrome, or anyone who cannot point well due to diminished hand-eye coordination. I spend a lot of money on games, because it's one of my many forms of escapism, but if I am not having fun, I won't spend it.

Derek, keep in mind, if Mega Man sells well, they will GLADLY port the game to PSN and XBLA. ALL video game companies and publishers are in it for the money. If they are not, then they have no reason in the business. Load times, I really don't know how true that is. The last game I really remember was Destroy All Humans which had a very excessive load time, repeatedly, where as Grand Theft Auto 4 and Metal Gear Solid 4 had one long load time for sometimes an hour of gameplay.

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
As a wii owner I know not to expect amazing graphics, especially if it's not even running on 60 fps. What has me excited,more than than game play and the oh so 360-esque graphics is the controls. Metroid Prime 3 controls were good, MoH2 were very good (32 multiplayer online, it's fun) to know that there is going to be a game thats not a demo in disguise is good, and at the moment the only thing we (as wii owners) have to look froward to. Looks like we're just going to have to play the waiting game, and pray that it has the features that are being promised to help embellish this "orignal" title.

lumberheartwood

Smash Journeyman
I agree with Crimson King. Wii-motes are sometimes horrible, especially with people who have unsteady cordination or illnesses like Parkinson's Disease.

But those that don't will have the best time if these FPS games have controls that are just right.

Hype is a double-edged sword. Now lets just wait quietly for E3 to come. ^-^ I'm glad this year, Nintendo will be the first to showcase since this year has been a really secretive one for them. Usually, all the big announcements are leaked early, but this year, its under so much control. :D It makes anticipation even much sweeter and the reward more grand.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
The skateboarding game looks so lame and gimmicky. I mean it's like Wii Fit, it's fun to spice up working out and stuff, but after a while, you start to wonder if you need a video game to do stuff you can easily do in real life.
Oh sure, people complain about Wii Fit doing something not really needed, but no one here ever disses that asinine of a series called Guitar Hero. >_>

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Red Steel was supposed to be as well. I am so sick of The Conduit already. The graphics are not 360 level, as purported, and the gameplay looks like Half-Life 1 if it was on the Nintendo 64. Fact is, ESPECIALLY with the Wii, do not judge an FPS until it's out.

Could it be the best FPS ever? Absolutely, I hope it is so I can get some use out of my Wii other than VC games and ports I didn't own before. But there is no reason to overhype this game now. Look what hype did to Halo 3. Now, it's considered the worst in the series, when it's just as good as the rest. Same goes for Brawl, and pretty much every other sequel that took years to come out. Hype can be very bad.

FirustheHedgehog, forced innovation seems to be the Wiis problem. Instead of making the Wiimote an immersion tool, they make the Wiimote the only tool. This makes it a lot hard for anyone who has shaky hands, such as myself with horrible carpal tunnel syndrome, or anyone who cannot point well due to diminished hand-eye coordination. I spend a lot of money on games, because it's one of my many forms of escapism, but if I am not having fun, I won't spend it.

Derek, keep in mind, if Mega Man sells well, they will GLADLY port the game to PSN and XBLA. ALL video game companies and publishers are in it for the money. If they are not, then they have no reason in the business. Load times, I really don't know how true that is. The last game I really remember was Destroy All Humans which had a very excessive load time, repeatedly, where as Grand Theft Auto 4 and Metal Gear Solid 4 had one long load time for sometimes an hour of gameplay.
Yeah, all I keep hearing about is The Conduit over and over again, and honestly, it's pure assumption and hope that's making it such a promising title. Even with a title having a lot of promise for a fact (Brawl), it can still not be half as good as expected.
As for hype, I don't think that's what killed Brawl. I'm sure hype didn't help, but that's not what got me bored of it. However, it is a very bad thing. You hype something up, and chances are it's way below your standards, as only an okay game. Normally you'd be fairly happy with it, but because you were expecting something awesome, it turns into an awful game. Even if it's a good game, if you're expecting the best game ever, it'll feel bad to you. That's why I don't think we should hype anything at all at this point. E3, The Conduit...everything.

The Wiimote is the only tool. You actually bring up a very good point--Nintendo always raves about how it brings families together, it's for everyone, but...what if you can't hold your hand steady, or you have very poor hand-eye coordination, or something else? Then you can't play the Wii, or at least not enjoy it. I myself have a hard time keeping my hand steady. Fortunately, it doesn't affect my gameplay all that much, but in a more severe case, I can't imagine it doing anything but. How many games are there right now that don't need the Wiimote? Hm, well there's Brawl, Radiant Dawn, the GameCube ports...not much else, is there?

As a wii owner I know not to expect amazing graphics, especially if it's not even running on 60 fps. What has me excited,more than than game play and the oh so 360-esque graphics is the controls. Metroid Prime 3 controls were good, MoH2 were very good (32 multiplayer online, it's fun) to know that there is going to be a game thats not a demo in disguise is good, and at the moment the only thing we (as wii owners) have to look froward to. Looks like we're just going to have to play the waiting game, and pray that it has the features that are being promised to help embellish this "orignal" title.
See, THIS is the problem. The only thing we have to look forward to anymore is the controls of the game, because that's all Nintendo cares about. Yes, the controls in MP3 and MoH:H2 were very good. But shouldn't we expect more? I don't reallycare for graphics that much, but there should be something else besides controls to look forward to.

Oh sure, people complain about Wii Fit doing something not really needed, but no one here ever disses that asinine of a series called Guitar Hero. >_>
Um...I'm pretty sure I've made one or two subtle comments in here like, "If you want to play guitar, get a real guitar, don't play that piece of crap". In fact, I'm almost positive.

By the time you buy the game and the guitar and then pay for DLC (on the other systems, of course), you're spending just about as much as you would for an actual guitar, so why don't you just buy a guitar instead?

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
Nintendo HAS to revolve most of their,if not all, games to the controls.That was the whole wow about the wii, and it's "revolutionizing" controls. Don't you think it would be funny if they made a game that didn't use the wii controls? What are you supposed to do, go buy a GC controller?

If i were to tell you that before LoZ:Tp came out it was going to have good controls were you to assume that it was going to have a bad storyline, or boring game play? You could, but that wasn't the case.

The reason I say the controls are all we have to look forward to is because it is. We can only assume the game is either going to be good or bad, but from what they [High Voltage] has stated it handles like MP3 and MoH2, which like i said before were good, solid controls. If the Wii had a regular type controller, and knowing everything you know of The Conduit, would you think differently of the game, knowing the controls would be like that of any common FPS?

Samochan

Smash Master
Fact is, you cannot frigging play any game without first using the stupid wiimote. There's massive flaw in that you cannot control the menu with any other controller. What if you run out of batteries? >_> I tried like half an hour to get it work and play melee with batteries that had run out, cause I couldn't locate the new battery recharger and a second battery that was needed in order to use it.

Top Bottom