• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No more good games for Wii now?

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
For the most part, people who play games competitively would rather have games that pwn you over and over again before you win. Finally beating the intense difficulty gives you a sense of accomplishment and bragging rights.

Casual gamers are the ones that get mad and quite of they lose twice in a row, yeah though, I'm definitely in favor of having difficulty settings, also for games like Mario. the main adventure enough should be easy so that casuals can get the experience that they want.

But there should always 20 or so secret levels that just **** you repeatedly. One of the reasons I liked DKC 2 and 3 so much. There were really hard secret levels that just pwned you, and finally beating them felt awesome. Super Mario World on the NES was the same way, the main adventure was easier that that of SMB 3. but again it had uber secret levels that in my opinion were the funnest ones in the game.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
For the most part, people who play games competitively would rather have games that pwn you over and over again before you win. Finally beating the intense difficulty gives you a sense of accomplishment and bragging rights.

Casual gamers are the ones that get mad and quite of they lose twice in a row, yeah though, I'm definitely in favor of having difficulty settings, also for games like Mario. the main adventure enough should be easy so that casuals can get the experience that they want.

But there should always 20 or so secret levels that just **** you repeatedly. One of the reasons I liked DKC 2 and 3 so much. There were really hard secret levels that just pwned you, and finally beating them felt awesome. Super Mario World on the NES was the same way, the main adventure was easier that that of SMB 3. but again it had uber secret levels that in my opinion were the funnest ones in the game.
It's a shame then that difficulty levels in games are fewer and fewer each year. It seems like it's a win-win, like you said. Casual gamers can play it through and not get frustrated, and hardcore gamers can beat it at insane difficulties and feel accomplished.

Guess that's one of the reasons I like No More Heroes so much. It gives you different difficulty options right off the bat, with still another unlockable harder one. Playing through Mario Galaxy a second time, I really can't help but wish that when I unlocked
Luigi
then they had given me an option to ramp up the difficulty. Still fun, just not as hard as it was the first time around.

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
Playing through Super Mario Galaxy as
Luigi
really wasn't all that harder, in fact everything was easier
thanks to Luigi's godly jumping abilities
except the cosmic races. Which was fairly satisfying I suppose.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
Playing through Super Mario Galaxy as
Luigi
really wasn't all that harder, in fact everything was easier
thanks to Luigi's godly jumping abilities
except the cosmic races. Which was fairly satisfying I suppose.
He doesn't come to a stop quite as quickly, either, which certainly makes a couple of the levels quite a bit harder than the first time around.

Still, I would've liked to switch the game into "Hard" mode and really have to try my best to make it through the second time.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I wouldn't hold your breath for MM9 on PSN. Capcom has publicly stated that they really don't like Sony (which is why the Gamecube got all the core Resident Evil games last generation). The only reason the PS3 is getting Resident Evil 5 is because the 360 has sold all of 6 consoles in Japan and the Wii wouldn't be able to handle where they wanted to go with it graphically.
http://kotaku.com/5024083/mega-man-9-is-coming-to-360-ps3

JorDANK

Smash Rookie
Theres hope, rumours of a new LOZ game that is gonig to be announced at E3 soon, this time solely for Wii, as TP was basically originally only being made for GC then got ported to Wii, this one could reach the Wii's full potential :).

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
The rumors are unsubstantiated other than "they make Zelda games every 2 years!" Game development is taking longer and longer, so unless you hear it from them, do not get your hopes up. Honestly, I think they'll do other franchises before doing Zelda, I mean they have F-Zero, which needs to be a Wiiware game, Animal Crossing, Pikmin, and a few others to try out before going to the tried and true Zelda. Also, next year, presumably when any games will be coming out that are announced this year, is a bad year for games - Starcraft 2 and possibly Diablo 3 will be out. These are two games that people have been waiting around a decade for, and with a company like Blizzard backing it, it's hard to see them disappoint.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
That article was really fantastic, thank you BentoBox.

Sean Malestrom said:
Go back in time and look at the DS which was hated by the industry (who analysts referred to it as Nintendo doing another Virtual Boy). The industry did not understand the platform and just dumped many PSP ports or mini-game collections on it. While this was going on, Nintendo focused on the downmarket with games such as Brain Age and Nintendogs as well as a few tiers above that with New Super Mario Brothers. After a year on the market, Super Mario Kart DS and Animal Crossing DS came out. As you know, games like Brain Age and Nintendogs became huge hits which attracted new gamers. And these new gamers then swam upmarket to turn Mario Kart DS, New Super Mario Brothers, and Animal Crossing DS into huge hits (than they would have been without those lower tier games). The installed base for the DS surged which attracted more third party support but mostly meant support for upper market games such as Dragon Quest IX and the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest remakes. As the DS swam upstream, the uppermarket games that were coming on the PSP began to be stolen by the DS.

The Wii is advancing in the same way. Nintendo focused on the downmarket with games such as Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Wii Fit which all became hits. Third parties become confused and made mini-game compilations. After a year, slightly higher tier Nintendo games come out such as Mario Kart Wii and Super Smash Brothers Brawl and Super Mario Galaxy. These games will become bigger hits because of the success of lower tier games such as Wii Sports sending new consumers upstream. Just as the DS has become the darling of hardcore gamers, so too will the Wii as the system moves upstream.
Quoted for truth.

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
The best analogy in the article was the comparison between the plastic dog and the real dog. Brawl is most definitely a plastic dog compared to Melee.

Every genre is capable of providing depth and art and challenge, but we're not getting that from recent Wii games.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Then take the initivave (sp) yourself to make it challenge.

People complained that Kingdom Hearts 2 was too easy. But some people who didn't just want to sit around and whine about it took it up themselves to make more challenging. For example, fighting bosses while on level 1 and try to receive no damage.

Even in this topic: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=177800

They plan to start a Starfox Assault competitive scene. And even if doesn't catch on, they're not just whining and twiddling their thumbs. They're doing something!

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
took it up themselves to make more challenging. For example, fighting bosses while on level 1 and try to receive no damage.
That should NOT be the reason why you buy a game. I shouldn't have to find a game to play within a game because it was easy. That's stupid. Even I'm not that lenient as to turn that obvious negative into a positive.

And I'm Mr. Brightside.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Did I say that was a reason to buy an easy game? no

I'm trying to say that it's better than just sitting around whining about the games being too easy. That surely doesn't help at all.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Personally i will find my self predicting that the Wii version of Call of Duty 5 will be the easiest one out of all the console version. Why? Not because the Wii is "casual". Its because of how the Wii is used. The Wii mote made RE4 way easier than my friends copy of the PS2 version. It was more easier because it was more flexible. In Medal Of Honor heroes 2 i found that i could surpass the number of Head shots in a PC FPS.

I predict the same will happen to Call of Duty 5. The Wiimote will make the game more flexible and more getting used too, which will make it easier.

Of course thats my opinion.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
Personally i will find my self predicting that the Wii version of Call of Duty 5 will be the easiest one out of all the console version. Why? Not because the Wii is "casual". Its because of how the Wii is used. The Wii mote made RE4 way easier than my friends copy of the PS2 version. It was more easier because it was more flexible. In Medal Of Honor heroes 2 i found that i could surpass the number of Head shots in a PC FPS.

I predict the same will happen to Call of Duty 5. The Wiimote will make the game more flexible and more getting used too, which will make it easier.

Of course thats my opinion.
So it seems like developers are really going to need to either start including difficulty modes or ramping up the difficulty overall to compensate for the advantage that the Wiimote gives players.

It's like Space Invaders Extreme for the DS. Taito released a weighted paddle controller that goes with the game, but it's disallowed in online competition because of the advantage that it gives players who use it. The Wiimote gives much the same sort of advantage.

Darkslash

Smash Master
So it seems like developers are really going to need to either start including difficulty modes or ramping up the difficulty overall to compensate for the advantage that the Wiimote gives players.

It's like Space Invaders Extreme for the DS. Taito released a weighted paddle controller that goes with the game, but it's disallowed in online competition because of the advantage that it gives players who use it. The Wiimote gives much the same sort of advantage.
Pretty much. If they do increase the difficultly to the lvl where its impossible with dual analog sticks i will be happy

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Pretty much. If they do increase the difficultly to the lvl where its impossible with dual analog sticks i will be happy
Yeah, that'll never happen. Despite what you say, the Wiimote isn't that accurate and isn't superior over Keyboard + Mouse or dual analog sticks. More immersive? You could argue that, but that's it. There are currently PC and 360/PS3 games that could absolutely not be beaten with the Wiimote, so maybe you should just jump ship? The Wiimote isn't accurate enough, fast enough and doesn't have good enough of a button layout to feature AI like in PC, 360 and PS3 games.

BUT HEY LOL REMEMBER THIS TOPIC IS ABOUT NO GOOD WII GAMES COMING OUT. DISCUSS THAT OR I'M CLOSIN' DIS.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Sadly, **** like that will become more and more prevalent.

It's a very large niché with pole dancing right now and adding it to the Wii will fulfill even more people's dreams. That said, don't expect to ever hear about it again.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
I'm too lazy to get links, and to lazy to scroll through the last 5 pages to see if anyone posted this. But Animal Crossing and Punch Out have all but been confirmed for E3. Also, theres a rumor that Disaster, Day of Crisis will be playable at E3.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Disaster has been posted-poned indefinitely as of June. I really doubt they'd say that a month before E3 unless it were true.

derek.haines

Smash Ace

de Blob
. This game looks really cool, and according to IGN's hands-on it seems like it's really come together.

I like that the music is dynamic as you play, it's a neat element that hasn't been used to death up until this point.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
It's been out in demo on PC for a while. It's like Katamari Damacy minus the fun. I think it was because the demo didn't have everything... I hope.

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
The problem with the demo was that is boring. I doubt they fixed that.
Yeah, Crimson King is right here, the demo, more than anything, expresses the concept behind the game, rather than how the game itself feels.

After watching the trailer, I get the feeling the game is targeting young children specifically, that doesn't mean it can't be fun, but it's like trying to watch some of your favorite Disney movies that you liked when you were seven. It probably would be entertaining, but odds are, you'd rather be doing something else.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Wow, Star Wars: Force Unleashed just got ****tier for the Wii.

The Euphoria engine, which is the future of gaming engines, will not be in the Wii version, and it'll have pre-rendered animations, as opposed to the "on-the-fly" animations of the other versions.

What worries me is that this may mean the Wii cannot support the Euphoria engine, which is pretty much death for its games.

Deception

Smash Ace
Wow, Star Wars: Force Unleashed just got ****tier for the Wii.

The Euphoria engine, which is the future of gaming engines, will not be in the Wii version, and it'll have pre-rendered animations, as opposed to the "on-the-fly" animations of the other versions.

What worries me is that this may mean the Wii cannot support the Euphoria engine, which is pretty much death for its games.
So?

The Wii version has motion controls. And you don't waggle to swing your lightsaber like in Twilight Princess. Each swing of your sword will be the way you want to swing it, so if I swing the Wiimote to the left, my lightsaber will go left, and etc.

The Wii version also has the duel mode, which is not in the 360 and PS3 versions of the games. The duel mode looks like a lot of fun. With the duel mode and the extra levels in the Wii version, the Wii version seems to have the most replay value.

Why would you care about a game's technology over it's gameplay? I don't care about Euphoria physics or HD graphics, I only care about gameplay. And the Wii version seems to have the best gamepla, so I'm buying that version. And you can complain about how much you hate the Wii, but I don't care about your opinion.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
So?

The Wii version has motion controls. And you don't waggle to swing your lightsaber like in Twilight Princess. Each swing of your sword will be the way you want to swing it, so if I swing the Wiimote to the left, my lightsaber will go left, and etc.

The Wii version also has the duel mode, which is not in the 360 and PS3 versions of the games. The duel mode looks like a lot of fun. With the duel mode and the extra levels in the Wii version, the Wii version seems to have the most replay value.

Why would you care about a game's technology over it's gameplay? I don't care about Euphoria physics or HD graphics, I only care about gameplay. And the Wii version seems to have the best gamepla, so I'm buying that version. And you can complain about how much you hate the Wii, but I don't care about your opinion.
Your darn right, Euphoria physics will be obsolete in 5 years, although, the motion controls exhibited on the Wii will be looked upon as a Revolution of games.
Although, that kinda sucks that it cannot support the Euphoria engine, maybe they just didn't try, Treyarch got the CoD4 engine to work on the Wii.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Here is where you were wrong:

Motion control will be a nice gimmick for the first three or four swings, then after that's it's a bloody chore.

No, it will have just as much as the others if not less. DLC still exists on PS3 and 360 versions, and we still get the realistic animations and graphics. Have fun with your last generation-looking duels.

You say this based on NEVER playing it. The Euphoria physics are the standard of physics engines. GTA 4 - the best game of the scoring-wise - showed how amazing the engine is. If you enjoy stock, canned animations and dated graphics, you'll probably love the Wii version.

Your darn right, Euphoria physics will be obsolete in 5 years, although, the motion controls exhibited on the Wii will be looked upon as a Revolution of games.
Although, that kinda sucks that it cannot support the Euphoria engine, maybe they just didn't try, Treyarch got the CoD4 engine to work on the Wii.
Of course, it'll be obsolete with something close to it. Motion control is definitely a revolution, started by the mouse. The Wiimote is nothing but a glorified mouse for consoles. If it was truly revolutionary you should see more developers throwing all support at the Wii and demanding Sony and Microsoft make their own versions and less huge games based on story and realistic graphics.

It's amazing how much fanboys bring out the fanboy in you. Fact is, I am getting it for PS3 because the game looks phenomenal on PS3. The animations are smooth and crisp, and I don't need that pseudo-realistic control of the Wii.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord

Motion control will be a nice gimmick for the first three or four swings, then after that's it's a bloody chore.

It's amazing how much fanboys bring out the fanboy in you. Fact is, I am getting it for PS3 because the game looks phenomenal on PS3. The animations are smooth and crisp, and I don't need that pseudo-realistic control of the Wii.
Just read this article, it is written by people who have went hands on with the Wii version.
http://wii.ign.com/articles/885/885851p1.html
Yeah, the controls actually seem to be good.
Lego Star Wars motion controls were a gimmick, This, IS, NOT, LEGO, STAR, WARS!

Deception

Smash Ace

No, it will have just as much as the others if not less. DLC still exists on PS3 and 360 versions, and we still get the realistic animations and graphics. Have fun with your last generation-looking duels.

You say this based on NEVER playing it. The Euphoria physics are the standard of physics engines. GTA 4 - the best game of the scoring-wise - showed how amazing the engine is. If you enjoy stock, canned animations and dated graphics, you'll probably love the Wii version.

Of course, it'll be obsolete with something close to it. Motion control is definitely a revolution, started by the mouse. The Wiimote is nothing but a glorified mouse for consoles. If it was truly revolutionary you should see more developers throwing all support at the Wii and demanding Sony and Microsoft make their own versions and less huge games based on story and realistic graphics.

I'm sorry you're obsessed with how a game looks and not how it plays. Any gamer knows that gameplay should matter more than graphics or a good physics engine. Just take a look at Crysis. The graphics were great but the gamplay wasn't that good.

The Wii version looks more fun to me. That is my opinion. But you are trying to prove your factless argument by trying to convince that the other versions are superior without playing them. You can't say one version is better than another if you've never played all the versions, you can only assume.

Euphoria is overated. Why would I buy a game just because the physics are more realistic? I don't play games for realism, I play them to experience things I don't experience in reality.

There is no DLC confirmed for the PS3 or 360 versions. That's just you glorifying the 360 and PS3 because you have a hatred against the Wii. In most of your posts about the Wii, you are usually negative about it. Why should I take your opinion about Wii games when you are clearly biased against the entire system?

Viroxor

Smash Ace
I'm gonna have to side with Deception here. I mean, Mega Man 9 is my most anticipated game at the moment, and it's graphics are freakin' 8-bit. Graphics don't mean much to me. For example, that one PS3 game Haze looked good, but when the time came to play it, the game just sucked no matter how good it looked. I simply couldn't bring myself to believe it a good game in any capacity.

If I wanted physics, I'd go into my back yard and throw something to see it break. Wii's all I've got, anyway, so what else would I do if I DID decide my games based on graphical quality? I can understand where you're coming from, but I just wanted to state my feelings on that matter.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Haze looked and played awfully in the demo.

All of you are fooling yourselves if you say graphics don't matter. If that's the case, why even have a Wii? Just go back to the NES and Atari. Hell, I spend more time on Gametap's classic titles than I do on all the games I own. But, if I am going to spend $60, it better look next gen.

It's hilarious to me how much of you are bashing that physics mean nothing, and yet, nearly all games coming to PC, PS3, and 360 have excessive and realistic physics. Realism in games in a niché. Take Oblivion. I hated the fact that horses never got tired, and you never had to really eat. Add mods that allow that, and I have a game that at least doesn't make me immortal. Realistic games add a depth of difficulty to them that completely unrealistic games do not.

I spent probably about $2000 on video games this generation, which was the first time I ever bought two consoles within two years of their release. The Wii was great once the novelty of the Wiimote wore off because it presented no challenge in games. The PS3 had this same problem for a while, but finally starting making games I actually enjoy, are difficult, and non-linear. Why would I go for a watered down version of a game that I really want, when I have the option to get a better version? It's like me getting Spore for Wii when my computer is perfectly capable of playing it.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Haze looked and played awfully in the demo.

All of you are fooling yourselves if you say graphics don't matter. If that's the case, why even have a Wii? Just go back to the NES and Atari. Hell, I spend more time on Gametap's classic titles than I do on all the games I own. But, if I am going to spend $60, it better look next gen.

It's hilarious to me how much of you are bashing that physics mean nothing, and yet, nearly all games coming to PC, PS3, and 360 have excessive and realistic physics. Realism in games in a niché. Take Oblivion. I hated the fact that horses never got tired, and you never had to really eat. Add mods that allow that, and I have a game that at least doesn't make me immortal. Realistic games add a depth of difficulty to them that completely unrealistic games do not.

I spent probably about $2000 on video games this generation, which was the first time I ever bought two consoles within two years of their release. The Wii was great once the novelty of the Wiimote wore off because it presented no challenge in games. The PS3 had this same problem for a while, but finally starting making games I actually enjoy, are difficult, and non-linear. Why would I go for a watered down version of a game that I really want, when I have the option to get a better version? It's like me getting Spore for Wii when my computer is perfectly capable of playing it.
I never said good graphics don't matter.
But good gameplay is more important than good graphics and realistic physics.(lets have Master Chief fall at 9.8m/s!).
I like the 360, the PS3 is fine and dandy, but the Wii makes great gameplay much more accesible, although, it can handle dual analog controls, it actually has two different dual analog controllers it supports!
I am not saying the Wii wins cause it has the Wii mote, if they keep making Carnivals games they won't.
You don't have to take this video seriously, but it is entertaining.
Its in my epic video thread- http://youtube.com/watch?v=m2gJyOKL-MU
If gameplay sucked I would go play my NES or virtual console(lulz), but it doesn't.
Anyway, who wants to talk about the Wii in a Wii thread.
I really think Wii should start talking about the Wii!

Top Bottom