• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No more good games for Wii now?

Viroxor

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'm not even going to lie, I've accepted that as of right now, at least, I would have been much better off with a 360. I can see exactly what you mean about wanting your money's worth. It doesn't make a terribly vast amount of sense to pay the same amount for the Wii version of Rock Band that you would for the 360 version, because it's just not economical at all. But, that being said, I do keep hoping that soon, the Wii will release something extraordinary as they did so often for the 'Cube. Until that time, I will live with my decision.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Pretty much how I am doing it.

I'd sell my Wii, but I'd make no money off it, and on the off chance something awesome comes out, I don't want to be screwed over.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
So?

The Wii version has motion controls. And you don't waggle to swing your lightsaber like in Twilight Princess. Each swing of your sword will be the way you want to swing it, so if I swing the Wiimote to the left, my lightsaber will go left, and etc.

The Wii version also has the duel mode, which is not in the 360 and PS3 versions of the games. The duel mode looks like a lot of fun. With the duel mode and the extra levels in the Wii version, the Wii version seems to have the most replay value.

Why would you care about a game's technology over it's gameplay? I don't care about Euphoria physics or HD graphics, I only care about gameplay. And the Wii version seems to have the best gamepla, so I'm buying that version. And you can complain about how much you hate the Wii, but I don't care about your opinion.
How can you say physics mean nothing? I doesn't look very interesting when I kill an enemy in a game and it dies in the same 2 or 3 positions over and over it doesn't look very interesting. Normally I'd just brush that off but this is Star Wars, it's going to be about knocking people around using lightsabers and the force so you're going to need a decent physics engine to make pushing and pulling people fun. I honestly can't see it being less fun on a more advanced engine.

In this case the engine is part of gameplay so I don't see how you can brush it off as graphics [what's wrong with wanting to play a game that doesn't look like crap anyway?].

Graphics and physics are more than just cosmetics for games, they improve the quality. It's really annoying when you try to talk to people about these things and all they say is "graphics don't matter" as their counter-argument. That's the problem with arguing against Nintendo, people always use the same cut and paste answers and say that's the end of the argument. "Gameplay over graphics", "waggling is more fun", "who needs DLC or online anyway?", "Who needs hard drives anyway?" and it just continues down that line, yet, when the same people talk about games like Conduit, SMG or MP3 they go "Look at the great graphics" or "The graphics look amazing!".

It's really unfair to come into the argument using these kind of things to argue your point. You cannot say graphics don't matter because if you put two of the same game next to each other, turn the graphics on one of them way down and had to choose between two of them everyone would choose the better looking one because instinct leads us towards more attractive things. So just can the whole graphics don't matter charade because it's getting really old and it's a lousy cover up.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222049

To summarize, that thread is THE list of great DS games, and there's a ton on there. I give 1000000 internets to whoever put that together.
The fact that it has Metroid Prime Hunters on there makes it lose most of its credibility.

And notice how I said that technology had alot to do with it. Alot of games for the N64 are extremely clumsy to go back to, Mario 64 amongst them. Everything was tightened up in the DS version, not changed or made easier. The game controlled better so it was easier to play. And, it's impossible to compare Super Metroid and Metroid Prime 3. They're two completely different types of games made two generations and 3000 miles apart. Besides the Metroid license, there's not much in the way of comparison.
Look, I can't really debate about Mario 64 since I've never played the original, so I can't exactly reply to that. I still stand by my statement that it's games getting easier, not just controls, but I can't really back that up so I'll end that now.
As for Super Metroid and Prime 3, comparisons can be made--they are between 3D and 2D Sonic all of the time. Super Metroid required extreme exploration. Prime 3 said "Okay, here's where you need to go" and set you off on that one planet. If you stay in one place for too long without doing what you're supposed to do, you get a message about something or other telling you where to go. When it comes down to it, different generations and dimensions don't matter, because they're both Metroid games, and not just by label. Super Metroid was more difficult.

Oh, I'm not sneezing at computer technology at all. I loves my 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo Macbook very much. The thing is, unless you're doing 1. Hardcore video/sound editing 2. CAD 3D work or 3. Video Gaming, you don't need a computer that costs anywhere over $1000.
I'm not saying you do need a $1000 computer, I'm just saying that a computer for gaming can be used for more than just gaming.

You're only as abandoned as you feel. Nintendo has not publicly stated that they hate you.
I feel abandoned because they have. Their new games say it well enough; and I can throw in the "geeks and otaku" statement as well. Please don't refute that with "They apologized" or "It was one person" either, because I don't believe that for a second.

How do sales mean nothing? Have you never taken a business class at all? Sales drive the industry. If there were no sales, there would be no industry!

That just seems sort of...duh, to me.
You completely misunderstood what I was saying. I'm saying that sales do not necessarily mean a game is good. I bought Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and it was awful. I bought Metroid Prime Hunters and it was pretty bad. I bought Brawl and it was a disappointment. Sales do not tell me a game or console is good, just that a bunch of people decided to buy it.

My 3.0 Ghz P4 Dell that I bought in the spring of, oh, 2005 probably was really feeling it's age by just earlier this year, which is when I upgraded to my Macbook. Would it still have been usable? Sure, but I can be a pretty demanding multitasker and it just wasn't doing it for me anymore.
Oh. Well, my computer could probably use an upgrade, but...for now, I'm fine. Plus, I don't want a Mac and I don't want Vista.

Guitar Hero is compatible with both and two versions of the Internet Browser were made available. Just because the updates aren't necessary doesn't mean they don't make sense. They drive console sales higher which attracts more developers, and it generally means lower prices for people who haven't bought one yet. Plus, they tend to bring new features to the table (backlighting and better buttons).
Well, that was an assumption.

The Internet Browser had two versions made, but only the Lite version was available in stores, making original DS owners work hard to get it if they wanted it.

They make some sense, but they also make it hard for people who follow Nintendo intensely and buy their systems on or near release date. I really can't afford to buy a second DS because it's more convenient, if I already have the means to play DS games. Until my DS explodes, I'm not going to get a Lite. This is unfair, because it rewards those who don't follow Nintendo and got it after release. More of the abandonment of their longtime followers.

There's been some talking about why Nintendo doesn't allow SD/USB memory ports. Well, while I agree that we need some sort of storage for the Wii, Nintendo has a reason why.

You guys know about the Twilight Hack? It's a Wii Hack which allows a homebrew channel on the Wii. The newest update for the Wii got rid of it, but within a week the TH was back and better than ever. This has scared Nintendo into not providing us with these forms of storage because those could lead to easier hacks on their console.

If Nintendo were to allow this, no doubt we would be getting many new hacks for the Wii. Nintendo doesn't want this because these hacks could take away from there profits (they see WiiWare as the form of homebrew on the Wii).

It sucks, but Nintendo loves money. I doubt shouting louder will change their stance on it.
I suppose that's a good point. Heck, I'm sure it'd even be possible to put ROMs on there and play them like Virtual Console games. Still, they should come up with some solution. There's got to be one that will prevent hacks as much as possible if they really want to stop hacks.

The rumors are unsubstantiated other than "they make Zelda games every 2 years!" Game development is taking longer and longer, so unless you hear it from them, do not get your hopes up. Honestly, I think they'll do other franchises before doing Zelda, I mean they have F-Zero, which needs to be a Wiiware game, Animal Crossing, Pikmin, and a few others to try out before going to the tried and true Zelda. Also, next year, presumably when any games will be coming out that are announced this year, is a bad year for games - Starcraft 2 and possibly Diablo 3 will be out. These are two games that people have been waiting around a decade for, and with a company like Blizzard backing it, it's hard to see them disappoint.
I'm with this; you can't say that something's definitely happening because you've heard it. End of story.

The best analogy in the article was the comparison between the plastic dog and the real dog. Brawl is most definitely a plastic dog compared to Melee.

Every genre is capable of providing depth and art and challenge, but we're not getting that from recent Wii games.
Brawl is a pile of **** compared to Melee.

Then take the initivave (sp) yourself to make it challenge.

People complained that Kingdom Hearts 2 was too easy. But some people who didn't just want to sit around and whine about it took it up themselves to make more challenging. For example, fighting bosses while on level 1 and try to receive no damage.

Even in this topic: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=177800

They plan to start a Starfox Assault competitive scene. And even if doesn't catch on, they're not just whining and twiddling their thumbs. They're doing something!
That should NOT be the reason why you buy a game. I shouldn't have to find a game to play within a game because it was easy. That's stupid. Even I'm not that lenient as to turn that obvious negative into a positive.

And I'm Mr. Brightside.
It's not a reason to buy a game, but I've found that Speed/1% Runs on Metroid Fusion have added even more fun to replaying it many times over. I even found fun in doing a sort of "1% run" on Pokemon Pearl--I used Shaymin and only Shaymin the entire game, and it came out really fun. It was a challenge to be sure, but it was a nice, fun way to play the game.

Wii pole dancing, soon to come

...I... I don't know what to say...
Oh my god...I'm going to go cry in a corner now.

Graphics and physics are more than just cosmetics for games, they improve the quality. It's really annoying when you try to talk to people about these things and all they say is "graphics don't matter" as their counter-argument. That's the problem with arguing against Nintendo, people always use the same cut and paste answers and say that's the end of the argument. "Gameplay over graphics", "waggling is more fun", "who needs DLC or online anyway?", "Who needs hard drives anyway?" and it just continues down that line, yet, when the same people talk about games like Conduit, SMG or MP3 they go "Look at the great graphics" or "The graphics look amazing!".

It's really unfair to come into the argument using these kind of things to argue your point. You cannot say graphics don't matter because if you put two of the same game next to each other, turn the graphics on one of them way down and had to choose between two of them everyone would choose the better looking one because instinct leads us towards more attractive things. So just can the whole graphics don't matter charade because it's getting really old and it's a lousy cover up.
IMPROVE being the key word. They do not make or break the experience.

I'm no Nintendo fan (not anymore, anyways), but I will not accept "better graphics" as a reason to buy one game other the other. The reason people talk about the graphics with games like The Conduit, SMG, and MP3, is because it's a bonus. People like it. But you can't say a game is more buyable simply because of graphics.

If you have two games that are the EXACT SAME (price, gameplay, modes, everything), but one with better graphics, then hell yeah, I'm going to pick the one with better graphics. But if one has fewer features and better graphics, I'll probably go with the one with worse graphics. They can be 2D for all I care, in fact, I'd like that. 2D is the best type of game, in my opinion, which is why I constantly go back and play the awesome games like Super Metroid, Pokemon R/B/Y / G/S/C, ALttP, and the retro Sonics. Better graphics are great. But to act like they make or break a game is outrageous.

And again, this is not because I support Nintendo, as I do not anymore. I support retro Nintendo, but not the new Nintendo. This is genuinely how I feel about graphics.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
The graphics debate is a very sucky one because if you say graphics do not matter, you are illogical. If you say graphics matter, then you are vain and easily pleased.

The point is if a game has awful graphics and lackluster animation, then my experience with the game will be hindered heavily. I mean Goldeneye 64 was great back in the day. Now I go back and see all the characters without moving faces and the canned animations of the dying, and it shows it's age considerable. Fact is if I am paying $60, which is more than double some really great PC games, then that game better look it. Hell, even $50 is ridiculous to pay for a game if it doesn't not look **** near lifelike at this stage. I just don't have the time or money to burn for a game that is not a complete experience. If the gameplay is weak, obviously the game will not be fun. However, if the graphics are considerably awful, then the gameplay can only make up so much before I will stop wanting to play it.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
IMPROVE being the key word. They do not make or break the experience.

I'm no Nintendo fan (not anymore, anyways), but I will not accept "better graphics" as a reason to buy one game other the other. The reason people talk about the graphics with games like The Conduit, SMG, and MP3, is because it's a bonus. People like it. But you can't say a game is more buyable simply because of graphics.

If you have two games that are the EXACT SAME (price, gameplay, modes, everything), but one with better graphics, then hell yeah, I'm going to pick the one with better graphics. But if one has fewer features and better graphics, I'll probably go with the one with worse graphics. They can be 2D for all I care, in fact, I'd like that. 2D is the best type of game, in my opinion, which is why I constantly go back and play the awesome games like Super Metroid, Pokemon R/B/Y / G/S/C, ALttP, and the retro Sonics. Better graphics are great. But to act like they make or break a game is outrageous.

And again, this is not because I support Nintendo, as I do not anymore. I support retro Nintendo, but not the new Nintendo. This is genuinely how I feel about graphics.
I never said they were a reason to buy a game, I merely said they improve the game. Dated visuals can be an eye sore so it doesn't hurt to make sure the game doesn't look like it was made with Java.

BentoBox

Smash Master
BomberMan Wii announced

Quote from some guy on IGN's boards:
It is now revealed that the release date is September 25 in Japan at a price of 4,800 yen (5,040 yen with tax) and will support up to eight players from around the world using the wi-fi network (and friend codes unfortunately) and there will even be an online ranking system to compare yourself with other players. The game will also feature new weapons including a shield, rocket pack, and a "bomb goblin" (no idea what that last one will do).

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Better come stateside.

Because of the price tag, it looks to be a full game. LAME!

NeBz

Smash Journeyman
So?

The Wii version has motion controls. And you don't waggle to swing your lightsaber like in Twilight Princess. Each swing of your sword will be the way you want to swing it, so if I swing the Wiimote to the left, my lightsaber will go left, and etc.
The developers already said it won't be 1:1. 1:1 sword controls are impossible on Wii(as there's nothing stopping your hand when you hit something in the game). So that makes the swinging the Wii mote boring after a while.

The Wii version also has the duel mode, which is not in the 360 and PS3 versions of the games. The duel mode looks like a lot of fun. With the duel mode and the extra levels in the Wii version, the Wii version seems to have the most replay value.
The 360/PS3 version is superior because it has the Euphoria engine.

Why would you care about a game's technology over it's gameplay? I don't care about Euphoria physics or HD graphics, I only care about gameplay. And the Wii version seems to have the best gamepla, so I'm buying that version. And you can complain about how much you hate the Wii, but I don't care about your opinion.
What technology? The Euphoria engine? The engine IS part of the gameplay. You will get a different reaction/result if you shoot his legs/arms/stomech/head/shoulders/thighs...etc. It add tactic and strategy to the gameplay. When you shoot wood it will break and shatter depending on how strong and where you shoot it. Glass will break like glass and Steel will bend like steel. When you push someone he'll try not to fall by hanging on to someone near him. It all add to the gameplay. It add depth which is good.

Your darn right, Euphoria physics will be obsolete in 5 years, although, the motion controls exhibited on the Wii will be looked upon as a Revolution of games.
Although, that kinda sucks that it cannot support the Euphoria engine, maybe they just didn't try, Treyarch got the CoD4 engine to work on the Wii.
Hah. The COD4 engine was very dumbed down and stripped down to many of it's features so the Wii can handle it.
The Wii's controls won't be that revolutionary due to the lack of 1:1 controls.

I'm sorry you're obsessed with how a game looks and not how it plays. Any gamer knows that gameplay should matter more than graphics or a good physics engine. Just take a look at Crysis. The graphics were great but the gamplay wasn't that good.
Who told you Crysis wasn't that good gameplay wise?
And as I said, Physics engine is part of gameplay.

Euphoria is overated. Why would I buy a game just because the physics are more realistic? I don't play games for realism, I play them to experience things I don't experience in reality.
In no way is Euphoria overrated. If anything it's the opposite.
Realistic games are good. And unrealistic games are good also. There both good in their own ways. Sometimes realistic is better suited for a game. Sometimes realistic can be more fun.

Also, killing is realistic. But we only experience that in games.(Unless your a murderer lol)

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Nintendo's just announced Wii MotionPlus, an accessory
I stopped reading there. Just another accessory to add to the pile. Pretty soon the accessories will make the Wii cost more than a 360 or PS3.

Viroxor

Smash Ace
Not at all. I'm all for Nintendo, they just haven't done anything in the last few years to earn that, so I'm losing faith. Hopefully, tomorrow's E3 conference will do something to stop the deterioration.

EDIT: Actually, now that I look at it, this is kind of like them releasing the rumble pak on the N64 that came bundled with Star Fox 64. Maybe it's a hint at one of their upcoming games?

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Wow did any of you guys read the full article? You really are anti-Nintendo fanboys.
I'm not a fanboy, I'm just tired of being spoon-fed this bull****. Even if the accessory is free I won't be able to get it, why? Nintendo doesn't offer services to my country so I'm **** out of luck, even so, the odds are you can still play the same games without this accessory and honestly, what else am I supposed to think when just the other day they brought out the balance board and before that the Wii Wheel. They're trying to make up for whatever they're lacking with all of this crap and it's not working, maybe you enjoy having a million and one attachments lying around but I prefer only having to buy the games and maybe pay for the online service [$4.50 a month is more than worth it for online that actually works].

I'm been putting up with Nintendo's ignorance hoping they would get with the program this gen. I thought they'd be doing great things especially with the online services but it's just another feature they put together in a day and expect people to enjoy and now every once in a while they're trying to spit out some stupid accessory when they're still hardly any games worth playing.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Not at all. I'm all for Nintendo, they just haven't done anything in the last few years to earn that, so I'm losing faith. Hopefully, tomorrow's E3 conference will do something to stop the deterioration.

EDIT: Actually, now that I look at it, this is kind of like them releasing the rumble pak on the N64 that came bundled with Star Fox 64. Maybe it's a hint at one of their upcoming games?
Hmm if legend of Zelda comes with that adapter then i feel like this is going to be Star Fox 64 again. And that was a good move. Including the Rumble Pack in Star Fox 64 to get potential feedback. Can't wait for 9 Am tomorrow:laugh:

NeBz

Smash Journeyman
Wow did any of you guys read the full article? You really are anti-Nintendo fanboys.
I was a Nintendo fanboy once. But it's like Crimson king said. It was if I was living under a rock unaware of what gaming has to offer. I now see things clearly as I got rid of my fanboyism.

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I did read the article, I really think it missed the mark there.

Why, because brawl sux, @ FirusTheHedgehog, if you had read the article, you'd have known that Plastic Dog = suck

super paper mario sux, TP Wii was a last minute port that did a really pathetic job with the motion sensor, Metriod Prime is inferior to Halo, big third party titles like Red Steel ended up disappointments, the Conduit will likely have the same fate as Red Steel. Other third party developers are just making ******** crap as we have seen so far.

the motion sensor ended up being more of a gimmick rather than an immersion tool,

Every game they've been releasing lately are too easy or way dumbed down,

I'm not too excited about Bomberman either, that series has been going downhill since the N64.

Viroxor

Smash Ace
Well, I'm disappointed with Nintendo as well, but I thought Brawl was a pretty good game. I'm apparently one of the two people who didn't have a serious gripe with the game besides the landmastahz. Twilight Princess was good as well, GC port or not, and of course, there's Corruption.

But it just isn't enough. They can't keep up, so I'm hoping for a real lifesaver at their press conference tomorrow. Not "Wii Pole Dancing".

Deception

Smash Ace

Why, because brawl sux, @ FirusTheHedgehog, if you had read the article, you'd have known that Plastic Dog = suck

super paper mario sux, TP Wii was a last minute port that did a really pathetic job with the motion sensor, Metriod Prime is inferior to Halo, big third party titles like Red Steel ended up disappointments, the Conduit will likely have the same fate as Red Steel. Other third party developers are just making ******** crap as we have seen so far.

the motion sensor ended up being more of a gimmick rather than an immersion tool,

Every game they've been releasing lately are too easy or way dumbed down,

I'm not too excited about Bomberman either, that series has been going downhill since the N64.
Yes, I read that article. And Brawl is no plastic dog. I like it better than Melee. It's just different enough from Melee that you have to pick one of them as your favorite.

Metroid Prime inferior to Halo? You can't compare the two just because they are in first person and involve shooting. Halo is about killing all enemies, while Metroid is about exploration.

Try again.

BentoBox

Smash Master
What else did you expect them to say?

And here we are 2 years after the Wii came out still waiting for a decent shooter to come out.

Its not like the wii-mote's full potential has been unleashed or will be anytime soon so why get excited about yet another device that will most likely be ignored?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
With Nintendo, Something big = something you have to pay a lot for. I foresee a storage unit, but I am quite worried it'll require you to buy a lot or cost a lot.

The MotionPlus, as I stated, is stupid. Nintendo is just packing on accessories to see what people buy. Their method of design this gen since so many people were duped into the gimmick is to throw as much **** against the wall and see what sticks. Notice, the Wii will did nothing special, etc add to driving games? Notice, the Wii Fit board does do other things? They just tossing stuff and expecting us to buy it. If Wii Skate doesn't sell well, expect them to start tapering off on the Wii Fit Board.

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
Metroid Prime inferior to Halo? You can't compare the two just because they are in first person and involve shooting. Halo is about killing all enemies, while Metroid is about exploration.

Try again.
Oh but you can compare the two,

You see, they are in the same genre, FPS, right away they are comparable on that basis alone.

Halo is a very tactical game, even in the campaign (especially on legendary) a single mistake can cost you your life, The storyline of Halo gets you involved in whats going. Halo has epic multiplayer, and last of all, the greatest hack ever was created for Halo 1 on the PC,
please watch the following video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eZIwb_PpF8

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I still think Nintendo is bad at communicating with 3rd parties. If Nintendo actually had good 3rd party support, then spending time on these add-ons wouldn't be a horrible idea, but devs are only using them as quick cash-ins that are horrible, leaving Nintendo to have to make all the good games.

Even then, Nintendo doesn't take making their own games seriously. The only games that met expectations are Super Mario Galaxy, which was a good game, and Twilight Princess, which was good for a GCN game, but had Wii features hastily added on. I'm not including Metroid Prime 3 because I have yet to play it, and i really don't care for the Metroid series.

The Wii Wheel btw I'm sure was hyped and requested by fans. It could have worked well, but motion sensing is too limited to really do anything worth while other than shaking it.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
The Hard Drive will not guarantee DLC. WiiWare's bandwidth and set-up will. Have you ever downloaded on WiiWare? It takes so slow on even small stuff, while 1 GB downloads take about 30 minutes for me on PSN. Though an external Hard Drive will be a good step.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
The graphics debate is a very sucky one because if you say graphics do not matter, you are illogical. If you say graphics matter, then you are vain and easily pleased.

The point is if a game has awful graphics and lackluster animation, then my experience with the game will be hindered heavily. I mean Goldeneye 64 was great back in the day. Now I go back and see all the characters without moving faces and the canned animations of the dying, and it shows it's age considerable. Fact is if I am paying $60, which is more than double some really great PC games, then that game better look it. Hell, even $50 is ridiculous to pay for a game if it doesn't not look **** near lifelike at this stage. I just don't have the time or money to burn for a game that is not a complete experience. If the gameplay is weak, obviously the game will not be fun. However, if the graphics are considerably awful, then the gameplay can only make up so much before I will stop wanting to play it.
You have a good point--all I'm saying is that unless the graphics are absolutely AWFUL, I'm not going to base my decision on it. If a game sounds good (and these days, if I've tried it and it actually IS good) I'm not going to care. Honestly, I agree that the graphics debate sucks, but mostly because I think that it's just pure opinion. Some people are bothered by bad graphics, others aren't. I guess after generations of being with Nintendo and trying to argue in their defense, not caring about graphics just rubbed off on me.

I read the article. It's still worse than a plastic dog.

super paper mario sux, TP Wii was a last minute port that did a really pathetic job with the motion sensor, Metriod Prime is inferior to Halo
I stopped reading and giving you any credit at that point.

You see, they are in the same genre, FPS, right away they are comparable on that basis alone.

Halo is a very tactical game, even in the campaign (especially on legendary) a single mistake can cost you your life, The storyline of Halo gets you involved in whats going. Halo has epic multiplayer, and last of all, the greatest hack ever was created for Halo 1 on the PC,

Okay, I think Nintendo has gone downhill, but you crossed every line in existence when you said ANYTHING was worse than Halo. That hyped-up piece of crap deserves no credit.

Metroid Prime is not "FPS". It's FPA. It may seem like "Oh, same thing" but it's really not. I don't like FPSs that much. I do like the Metroid Prime series, quite a bit actually. It's a Metroid game. End of story. That makes it tons different from Halo. Metroid = A single player game (meaning a lack of multiplayer is not a con, because that's like saying that Poker is better than Solitaire simply because it's meant for many players), Halo = A multiplayer game. Ever hear anyone except for uber Halo fanboys raving about "Oh, Halo's 1P is awesome."? No. In fact, I've heard many people saying the opposite, and not people who despise the series like I do. I have a few friends who happen to like it.

And if you want to play that game, okay, let's compare them.

Metroid takes skill and intelligence, rather than "shoot faster than the other person". You have a stack of abilities, and you have to utilize them from time to time, knowing when and when not to use them. You scan around to see if you can find anything if you're stuck. Even if you're not, you can scan carcasses and find in-depth descriptions of how they died. It's a little morbid, but extremely interesting at the same time. Instead of telling you flat out "Use Morph Ball Bombs to break this block!" it tells you that a block is made of Talloric Alloy, which, you need to know, is broken by Morph Ball Bombs. In the Metroid Prime series, it directs you much more than in Super Metroid, for example. But still, it can't throw you any more of a bone than Halo would. Boss Battles, especially later ones on more difficult modes, take a lot of time, effort, and skill. They constantly change what they're doing and, even when you're sure that you've got the weak spot, they change it and you have to scan them again. And again, it doesn't give you direct hints. It may tell you that something is loose or vulnerable, but you may not know what weapon it's vulnerable to. Metroid Prime's story is actually very intense and gets you into the game quite well. It culminates on sort of a cliche note (that stupid "Oh noez, we lost communication 5 minutes ago...ZOMG, there they are!"), but other than that, I think it does a good job of what it does.

Honestly, I still insist that Halo and Metroid aren't comparable in that respect (as in comparing features), but I still say Metroid Prime is better. If only for the fact that its fans aren't a bunch of eight year-olds wanting to shoot each other in the face (not that all of them are) and hype it like it's a gift from heaven.

...and that's my rant for the day.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
The Hard Drive will not guarantee DLC. WiiWare's bandwidth and set-up will. Have you ever downloaded on WiiWare? It takes so slow on even small stuff, while 1 GB downloads take about 30 minutes for me on PSN. Though an external Hard Drive will be a good step.
Downloading Lost Winds on WiiWare took only about five minutes for me. I don't remember the exact amount of data it had, but I'm just going to say 200 megabites. 200MB times 5 equals 1 gig. Five minutes times five equals 25 minutes.

It may just be me, but whateva.

NeBz

Smash Journeyman

Awesome video. But I can't see how they are comparable. They are very diffirent, they don't play the same at all.

It took me a whole day to download 1GB. :(
My internet sucks.

"shoot faster than the other person".
I disagree. Halo's multiplayer takes more skill than Primes single player(I'm not saying it's better). Facing good players is harder than facing a computer.

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
"Shoot faster than the other person", hmm,
I could give you about 20 reasons why you are wrong about Halo, but you obviously don't want to hear them, however, you should at least know that utilizing the appropriate weapon at the appropriate range makes a hell of a lot of difference.

hectichobo

Smash Ace
On Topic: I hope to see some good games for Wii at e3 in an hour.
On Everyone Else's Topic: Halo is gayy.

Viroxor

Smash Ace
I don't like Halo, but sadly, all my friends are fanboys, so I've learned to accept it, or otherwise face certain crucifixion. It's not a bad game, I'm just not into games that are built solely around multiplayer modes.

hectichobo

Smash Ace
I don't like Halo, but sadly, all my friends are fanboys, so I've learned to accept it, or otherwise face certain crucifixion. It's not a bad game, I'm just not into games that are built solely around multiplayer modes.

Then why are you on a site about a game that is solely based on multi player modes(well was)

EDIT: This is my one year anniversary on smash boards today!

PhillipthaGoober

Smash Journeyman
thats why you play smash bros?

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
This thread is no longer needed.

We know that we have no more good games coming to the Wii now. Well, we have animal crossing but there's a thread for that.

Why do you hate us, Nintendo?

Top Bottom