• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NJ/NY Rankings: New Rankings 9/25/12!!!

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
Posting this in my region's thread because I don't want any of you kids getting ****ed over.

YOU CANNOT PAY AT THE DOOR FOR APEX.

REGISTER BEFORE 11:59 TONIGHT.

apexsmash.com/registration

Sharky

Smash Master
IMPORTANT PLEASE READ:

Anyone can help us out? Our car riding up got totaled and we're stuck in Carneys Point NJ right now. We'd definitely pay for gas, we just just need a ride to the Hyatt. There's 5 of us and we need to get our stuff.
If anyone can help this guy out we're REALLY appreciate it.

-Syn-

Smash Cadet
Yo guys, looking to return to the competitive brawl scene with a new main. Would anyone in the Lake Hopatcong, Denville, Rockaway, Stanhope, or area near there be down to chill and play some brawl at some point this week? Have experience winning some local tourneys, would prefer people of equal or better skill but am not too picky :)

edit: Rutgers is pretty close to me as well.

dextasmurf

Smash Lord
Sup peeps its ya boy papasmurf!

Tryna get back into this new game called "when Meta Knight gets kicked in the balls and is banned"!! anyone that lives in the NY area (i live in queens, have a car, and have like 241029401 space to play brawl) that plays on a reg. HMU..

I dont suck too bad btw.. Im pretty decent

jbandrew

Smash Lord
sooo whats the situation with MK? Is he still getting banned? If he isn't I suggest we try japanese rules, 10 min timer, with FD,SV and BF. They're the best and thats all they practice on. Maybe we should try to emulate them in order to surpass them.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I think the ruleset used at Apex was good for competition, but we should definitely start doing our practice on those stages. And serious practice, too. A lot of us slack off (myself included) during friendlies/smashfests.

Dr.Brawl

Smash Ace
My god this thread is alive once again.

Jband and Keitaro are we finally going to be able to play this semester? I'm free on monday and friday

I think the ruleset used at Apex was good for competition, but we should definitely start doing our practice on those stages. And serious practice, too. A lot of us slack off (myself included) during friendlies/smashfests.
But aren't friendlies meant to be for fun?

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
My god this thread is alive once again.

Jband and Keitaro are we finally going to be able to play this semester?

Oh yeah I totally agree with running the Japanese stage list.
I should be applying to dorm for this spring semester (80% chance) and if so we can have some smashfests in the lobby every once in a while. I'll let you guys know.

I have also been a fan of the Japanese stage list for the past 2 years.

ch33s3

Smash Lord
Apex ruleset (or Japanese) for new standard imo. I felt disadvantaged when my opponents CP'd me, but never to the point where it was "welp this a freebie for them", and I feel like that's what we should be aiming for with a CP system (unless we're eliminating it entirely, but that's a bit radical).

Just my 2 cents after playing a bunch with Apex rules.

iRJi

Smash Champion
Due to recent events at Apex, I have seen mixed responses about the Metaknight ban. My goal as a Tournament Organizer is to satisfy what the community wants as a whole, so here I propose the question to my community:

Should Metaknight be banned at this tournament?

I strongly value your opinion, as I am only a figure that allows the tournament to start, but you guys are the reason the tournament will exist. Please feel free to comment about it, and which ever side gets the most responses with good reason, is the side I will use. I ask of you all, that which ever side I go with, that you still attend my tournament and help me as much as I am trying to help you. I will make my final choice by Saturday evening. The venue is huge, the store owner is a very nice person, and as long as I pull in a good amount of people, I can continue hosting at this location and turn this event into something big for the community.

Here is a link to my tournament thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=311704

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
People won't stop flip flopping their minds. People are just on a Japanese high right now. I'm sure next big event MK is too prominent, people will be back to the way they were tbh. And even still, Apex didn't change anything MK statistical wise really. Nietono did amazing, and showed some new things with MK, but I hardly doubt it's enough to say that Olimar beats MK now, he does not. And guess what, he didn't get first and still lost to two Meta Knights. We also saw Ocean beat M2K, but seriously, despite all the props in the world going to Ocean, look at how M2K played. He plays worse than 2009 Singles Inui when cheered against. I would put $100 on Ally's MK beating Ocean's ROB, someone who can keep calm in bad situations and wouldn't forget how to handle a matchup.

iRJi

Smash Champion
People won't stop flip flopping their minds. People are just on a Japanese high right now. I'm sure next big event MK is too prominent, people will be back to the way they were tbh. And even still, Apex didn't change anything MK statistical wise really. Nietono did amazing, and showed some new things with MK, but I hardly doubt it's enough to say that Olimar beats MK now, he does not. And guess what, he didn't get first and still lost to two Meta Knights. We also saw Ocean beat M2K, but seriously, despite all the props in the world going to Ocean, look at how M2K played. He plays worse than 2009 Singles Inui when cheered against. I would put $100 on Ally's MK beating Ocean's ROB, someone who can keep calm in bad situations and wouldn't forget how to handle a matchup.
I honestly agree with you, however, my tournament is for the community and not myself. I would like to see him banned for a while too, but if it goes against what people feel, then I would have to make the best choice available for the people. You know what I mean, right?

ch33s3

Smash Lord
How about we take the middle road and ride the Japanese high halfway and use their rules?

Y'know...like I've been begging for for years <_<

dextasmurf

Smash Lord
If I hold a smashfest on Friday would anyone come? I live in queens ny about 30 min from nj... I have tons of space and could get Vinnie over and anyone could sleep over if they'd like.

:phone:

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I honestly agree with you, however, my tournament is for the community and not myself. I would like to see him banned for a while too, but if it goes against what people feel, then I would have to make the best choice available for the people. You know what I mean, right?
I agree with this, and the turning point for me was the latest community poll, which was over a super majority in favor of the ban. A single event can't erase multiple ban polls that the community has all voted yes on. And the vocal few who keep changing their mind, will never be able to truly make up their mind until we actually experience the MK banned metagame in full force.

So yea, the community polls for MK legality still show it's definitely a community supported decision at large, since it's resulted in MK banned for many polls now in a row, with the greatest support being the latest one.

jbandrew

Smash Lord
In my opinion we should try the Japanese ruleset, it doesn't matter if we're on a Japanese high; they gave us reason to be lol. We might as well emulate the way they play over in Japan and see how things turn out for us here, I always wanted to see how a tournament with a 10 min timer, FD, SV, & BF as the only stages on would go. I know Americans are used to more stages, but things can change, and I know alot (if not all) of the Americans want our salty runback for APEX 2013 vs the Japanese. Reaaaally consider this guys, I don't like to talk just to waste my breath.

Also Chibo alot of people have changed their minds on whether they want to keep MK banned after APEX. Including myself. I want to keep the bat alive. I just want to test a new ruleset so we can stray away from tactics like scrooging, planking, and just tactics that in the end won't really help us achieve victory vs the Japanese. It's funny how the Japanese all play so honorably, yet still manage to kick all our "tactics" in the face.

Dr.Brawl

Smash Ace
I kind of agree with this ... a lot.

I'm neutral on the ban though.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
The Japanese rule list is enticing, but I do not think it would change much.

Removing CPs can only change so much, since sets are best of 3. This means that if MK is perfectly beatable on neutrals, then there should be no prob since game 1 is a neutral and game 3 he can be CPd to a neutral.

10 min timer does not change too much imo, there have even been time outs with 8 min that end in 2 stocks a piece. Time outs can and will still happen. If anything, that is just a nightmare for making a long tournament last even longer logistics wise.

If people are worried about chars like Olimar, Falco, or ICs taking over, keeping Brinstar and Rainbow legal can help with this, as these are stages that can somewhat keep these characters in check. The only real problem with them is abuse by MK, and nothing else. Outside of MK they have functioned perfectly for us, and can function even better without MK since people will be able to CP them without fear of pocket MK.

Even after Apex, MK still beats everything, still carries significant usage rate, etc. There is no evidence that shows we won't have a healthier metagame and tournament scene without MK considering all of this, and I don't think the stages are the issue. We have also tried many tournaments with the Brinstar and Rainbow combo banned, and not much was changed. tbh I think the biggest problem with the stage list is not B/RS being legal, but quite possibly FD being a starter.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
Just because m2k sucks shouldn't change how you guys think about the ban lol. 10 minutes is way too long, tournies will last forever.

-Syn-

Smash Cadet
If I hold a smashfest on Friday would anyone come? I live in queens ny about 30 min from nj... I have tons of space and could get Vinnie over and anyone could sleep over if they'd like.

:phone:
I'd be so down if it is actually only 30-60 mins away from me.

Keitaro

I myself am still very nuetral on the Metaknight ban like I always have been. I pretty much don't care but I'm not going to host a MK legal tourney and no one come, same with I'm not going to host a MK banned tourney and no one come. I'd prefer to hold a tournament for what the community wants.

Overall I'd still prefer to hold a MK banned tournament but if the community wants an MK legal one I will do it.

-Remix-

Smash Journeyman
Everyone, I can have people over today to play, so if you're interested, let me know so that I can organize the living room for set-ups.

Edit: I live in Fair Lawn, New Jersey. Not far from most of you i believe.

iRJi

Smash Champion
So for everyone, Metaknight is still banned for my tournament. The decision was pretty much one sided. 1 week, lets go!

Keitaro

I know it is an attempt to stop SOPA, but all I see ARE MY FAVORITE WEBSITES DOWN FOR 24 HOURS!!! **** YOU SOPA FOR MAKING PEOPLE TRY TO STOP YOU BY PERFORMING A DAYS WORTH OF ****ING SOPA!!!!

iRJi

Smash Champion
Ok guys, I just checked the weather, and it looks like our area is going to undergo a lot of bad weather (snow) overnight. The report states that it is going to be around 6 inches, and that is enough to cause problems parking and traveling. I make this post for my greatest concern for everyone's safety driving down to my tournament, that I will be postponing the Collision event to January 28th, 2012.
As much as I want to let the event continue, I don't want people to get hurt driving to the tournament, or have a hassle trying to obtain parking due to the snow. Instead of losing a lot of players trying to make it down to play, I would rather allow you guys to take it easy for an additional week.

Thank you for your time and cooperation. Feel free to leave a response about anything here.

iRJi

Smash Champion
Don't be the lonely person this weekend guys. Come to my tournament!! http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=311704

Attention all players: The tournament this Saturday will continue, even if there is snow or issue’s coming at hand. Nothing will cancel this event from happening. I am trying to get a livestream up and running as well. I am also debating on running a side event where it is the Japanese ruleset, single elimination, best of 5, metaknight legal. What do you guys think?

If it’s a problem we can just do a normal side event if there is a time (IE: Mid tier’s/all brawl/etc)

Top Bottom