• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NJ/NY Rankings: New Rankings 9/25/12!!!

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
Idea for TOs

I was thinking, since friendlies/mm's are notorious for holding up tournies and bracket progression, what if TOs would collect the Wii AV cables at the start of the tourney, and hand it to players as he called their matches, and then the winner of the set brings the cables back as he is reporting the set to the TO?

Someone told me it sounds extreme, but it'd prevent the tourney from being stalled. If people were worried about mixing cables (even though they all do the same thing), the cables could be labeled with their respective wii's.

Thoughts?

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
That's actually an amazing idea for tournament management, despite the fact that people would get pissed. Maybe dedicating two setups (given a reasonable amount of setups to begin with) to free play and collecting the cords from the others would be a fair compromise.

KageMurphy

Smash Master
That's a pretty terrible idea, cables will get mixed up/go missing and I can see it turning people away. Its not hard to walk over and unplug someones controller or threaten a game loss if they are playing when you're about to call matches or holding up a match.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
Phil, the only way they could be lost is if the players lose them on the way to their setup (I hope people aren't that irresponsible) , otherwise they'd be with the TO or plugged into the wii/tv. As far as mixing goes, they can be labeled; I myself would buy a sticker sheet with numbers on it or something.

WedginatorX

Smash Champion
Holding side-B against Cheese until he quits.
I agree with EE. There's no reason why you'd need to go to those measures to stop friendlies. Just make it an apparent threat that holding up the bracket with friendlies or mms will lose them the first game on first warning and the set on the second. Enforce the rules lol.
And I wouldn't be surprised if some of the ******s in this community lost cables on the way to the setups.

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
I'm pretty sure all TOs have been in the position where you tell someone to stop playing friendlies, they quit, then you turn your back and they're playing again.

Unplugging cables is better than DQing people who paid money.

iRJi

Smash Champion
Just DQ them. It's as simple as that. Don't let the friendship of people get in the way of management.

@ Cheese. I just saw your post btw. I would have loved to, but I asked riz and he OK'd it. Sorry man =/

Dr.Brawl

Smash Ace
I was thinking, since friendlies/mm's are notorious for holding up tournies and bracket progression, what if TOs would collect the Wii AV cables at the start of the tourney, and hand it to players as he called their matches, and then the winner of the set brings the cables back as he is reporting the set to the TO?

Someone told me it sounds extreme, but it'd prevent the tourney from being stalled. If people were worried about mixing cables (even though they all do the same thing), the cables could be labeled with their respective wii's.

Thoughts?
In theory it isn't a bad idea, however people might not want to bring a set up if this is the case. Even though someone mention having a system to make sure that the cables are not mixed up it is bound to happen. Imagine the chaos at nationals. I mean at smaller events it's a great idea because it will stream line the tournament. Not as many set ups, less likelihood of cables getting messed up. It sounds a little extreme though I mean if someone is giving you a hard time just DQ them, problem solved.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
In theory it isn't a bad idea, however people might not want to bring a set up if this is the case. Even though someone mention having a system to make sure that the cables are not mixed up it is bound to happen. Imagine the chaos at nationals. I mean at smaller events it's a great idea because it will stream line the tournament. Not as many set ups, less likelihood of cables getting messed up. It sounds a little extreme though I mean if someone is giving you a hard time just DQ them, problem solved.
I meant locals/regionals of like 10 setups or something. Nationals definitely not. They already have enough problems on their own *COUGH POUND V COUGH PLANK*

Kaiber Kop

Smash Master
Yes- That certainly isn't a bad idea but I agree with EE on this one. TO's are rarely ever alone and there are usually 3-4 people helping out with calling matches. I'd suggest just announcing before the event begins that DQ's will be issued for anyone starting a mm or friendly during a tourny match. In fairness, TO's should be able to keep an eye out on what setup is/isn't being used and be able to call matches accordingly. It won't be long before Inui and I host, and I can imagine it will run very smooth. I'd be willing to help out should you decide to host as well. You can obviously trust me to get things done.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
when is DNA? and where?
Hello newcomer, forgot to say hi earlier.

DNA is a tournament in Massachussets that I'm crazy enough to travel to this weekend :p For future reference on tournies that are actually within decent driving distance you can check this thread's first page/post. I update the upcoming tournies in our area every week.

Robin1613

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Robin1613
Hello newcomer, forgot to say hi earlier.

DNA is a tournament in Massachussets that I'm crazy enough to travel to this weekend :p For future reference on tournies that are actually within decent driving distance you can check this thread's first page/post. I update the upcoming tournies in our area every week.

oh cool thanks, massachussets is a bit far for right now so ill just wait for bums gamer tourny XD. you wouldnt happen to have information on that would you?

ch33s3

Smash Lord
Keitaro, I tried texting you to see what was up for tomorrow but apparently I have the wrong number in my phone, can you text me or something if you see this?

Germs Lady

Smash Cadet
Genesis trailer release date

IF WE CAN GET 2,500+ VOTES BY 12PM on SUNDAY (This will get us in the top ten),

We will host a Live-Stream Chat Session at 6PM On SUNDAY

DURING THIS LIVE STREAM -----We will Release “THE GENESIS HYPE TRAILER” Release Date

Love,
GERMs LaDY

Here is the link to the Live-Stream Chat Channel: Go to the website called “Stickam” and Search “Germslady”

Help Germ get married, ******s!!

Watch the video he made asking for the Smash communities help and vote for him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xrwlFyX9IM

Help out a fellow Smasher guys!!
You can vote once a day, so go help rack those votes up

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Definitly legit. Riz, RJ, Strife, Eazy, Pwii, Cheese, Nakat, love you all.

Can't wait to get home and see wtf happened at Whobo. 3 mins away!

ch33s3

Smash Lord
Today was just...too good. NY/NJ needs to go on raids like this more often, I had SO MUCH fun. NY/NJ random chat about girls, other players, smash issues, and just epically random **** is just too good.

Cable

Smash Lord
Today was just...too good. NY/NJ needs to go on raids like this more often, I had SO MUCH fun. NY/NJ random chat about girls, other players, smash issues, and just epically random **** is just too good.
I love when these kind of conversations are brought up its always awesome to talk about with smashers like in the carpool and etc.

KageMurphy

Smash Master
Atomsk tied with Vinne and placed higher then all of them but ADHD and isn't in the title because?

CONSPIRACY!

Top Bottom