• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NJ/NY Rankings: New Rankings 9/25/12!!!

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
everyone knew all the potential he had except his peers and himself. he became a ninja to get recognized by the village becuz they treated him badly all his life. yeah he worked hard but everything i listed in my last post helped him become what he is today. if any other ninja not named orochimaru, madara, or sasuke wouldve put in the woprk naruto did, they wouldnt anything near the results he had

look at him. if he gets very angry, he can destroy a village and not even know he did it. that hard work!

thats besides the point though. im pretty lazy guy throughout my smash "career". i remember shadow worked extremely hard in his prime to when i was in my prime not working to get better at all. played him twice in the same tourney after that and the matches werent even close. i may not go to tourneys to show proof but anyone whos seen me play once in a blue when they want to has seen that not a lot of people have surpassed me. gunblade plays like every day and i only when him or cable want to. why arent they better than me yet? they put in that hard work after all.

anime =/= real life

ANTi_

Smash Hero
I got ranked my 3rd/4th month in the scene..

I don't see why people are complaining so much all of sudden.

Obviously aren't training hard enough

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
I got ranked my 3rd/4th month in the scene..

I don't see why people are complaining so much all of sudden.

Obviously aren't training hard enough
When'd you stop maining wolf?

It isn't THAT excruciatingly hard to be good. Find someone good/better to play with. If they can point out how you're messing up that helps. It also helps if they use alot of characters.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Some people get better at a faster rate then others, some people don't train correctly, some people have a very low max level and never get passed it. Some people are really good but can't handle their nerves during a tournament match. Some people can't play well when fatigued, others can. You have to consider all of these things when talking about the road to becoming a better player.

Take M2K for example, he has to practice in order to keep his top spot while Ally on the other hand didn't practice and was still at the top. After a while though, Ally's lack of practice got to him and people started to catch up.

ADHD

Smash Hero
everyone knew all the potential he had except his peers and himself. he became a ninja to get recognized by the village becuz they treated him badly all his life. yeah he worked hard but everything i listed in my last post helped him become what he is today. if any other ninja not named orochimaru, madara, or sasuke wouldve put in the woprk naruto did, they wouldnt anything near the results he had

look at him. if he gets very angry, he can destroy a village and not even know he did it. that hard work!

thats besides the point though. im pretty lazy guy throughout my smash "career". i remember shadow worked extremely hard in his prime to when i was in my prime not working to get better at all. played him twice in the same tourney after that and the matches werent even close. i may not go to tourneys to show proof but anyone whos seen me play once in a blue when they want to has seen that not a lot of people have surpassed me. gunblade plays like every day and i only when him or cable want to. why arent they better than me yet? they put in that hard work after all.

anime =/= real life
YOU'RE RIGHT.

Get angry and DESTROY BIG to discover POTENSHILE. Worked for cheese and d.peach. Those walls, chairs, and arrays of anything around them had no idea what was coming.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Some people get better at a faster rate then others, some people don't train correctly, some people have a very low max level and never get passed it. Some people are really good but can't handle their nerves during a tournament match. Some people can't play well when fatigued, others can. You have to consider all of these things when talking about the road to becoming a better player.

Take M2K for example, he has to practice in order to keep his top spot while Ally on the other hand didn't practice and was still at the top. After a while though, Ally's lack of practice got to him and people started to catch up.
Others are bad because they use a bad character (aka me). When I can actually train, I'm going to try and get my Falco better.

Jtails

Smash Lord
oh and ksizzle is right. but theres alot more to practice than frequency.
READ MY ****ING SIG

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
Others are bad because they use a bad character (aka me). When I can actually train, I'm going to try and get my Falco better.
Lame excuse. Pride/Deltagod use crappy characters and have done alot. My falcon is godlike. Ally's falcon is decent. Verm is pretty amazing with Ganon.

Don't blame the character.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
What matters most is getting yourself to understand the essence of Brawl. Regardless of how you get there, through practice all day or through other means, the goal is to get there. I haven't seriously played Brawl in a long *** time. My next tournament will probably be Whobo, and I'm not gonna train a single hour for that. I'm gonna go there, get knocked into losers first round like every Whobo has been so far, and I'm gonna find my way into top 10. I'm gonna lose to people who are obviously better than me, and have "earned" it. And I'm certainly gonna beat some people who practiced since before the New Year specifically for Whobo.

This game isn't so much about working your *** off, but thinking and understanding what to do. Doesn't matter what you have to do to get there. If you're playing all day and don't feel like you are getting better, refocus your attention elsewhere. Take a break, sit down and think over practice. M2K isn't the best in the world simply for playing Brawl 24/7. Don't get me wrong, M2K works his *** off to win all the time, but he's good at the game because he takes a step back and thinks about the game. "How does this option look when I throw it into this situation? Should I play the safest possible or aggressively exploit my opponents bad patterns? What are the safest ways to approach, and how can I modify them to suit my opponent? etc"

If you aspire to get better at Brawl, I'd focus on that more than just sheer man hours put into playing the game.

Jtails

Smash Lord
Character does have to do with it! but it is also possible to succeed with a lower tier char. that is where your SKILL must be more than that of the opponent + their character

MK + lower skilled player = low tier char + higher skilled player.

just an example now do the ****ing math

yeah theres a novelty effect of oh people dont know how to fight ganon or yoshi. but if they encounter someone who knows the match up like the back of their hand then what?

and yes those are match ups to learn. because obviously people are still losing to ganon and yoshi.

ANTi_

Smash Hero
Well Wi-Fi got me **** and people are too stubborn to play on it.

So w/e.

Im making cash, they aren't.. ;)

Jtails

Smash Lord
well hopefully assuming you'd get more out of playing against a better player cause you'd be getting trashed every round. so if you adapt quickly you can fix your mistakes. whereas playing somebody that you beat, it would be harder to find flaws within yourself.

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration

Nah Snake sucks. People caught up with the Snake.

iRJi

Smash Champion
whod minty and doom beat to get honorable mentions that gunblade cant be on it?
Personally I feel the whole HM list is a bit wonky. I don't like to apply myself into things because it makes me sound bias, but I am pretty sure I was way more then qualified to make it this season. I feel Gunblade should have been on there as well.

anime =/= real life
It carries depending on people. Coming from my Halo background, there is one saying that always comes up when we play on the circuit which is

"Practice beats skill when skill doesn't practice"

This almost applies to everyone. Some people have raw skill, which is able to give them a head start over others. However, raw skill does not become something that is consistent without practice. Like everything that does not maintain, it deteriorates, hindering the person to advance further.

Now, The main thing that this game does is increase the mind of possible options. I always felt that things from this game carry over into other fighters. Smash in general is mastering the basics of a fighter: Setups, Traps, and Baiting. By playing fighters, it also increases situations and solutions for real life scenarios. Take that as you will, nerdy, dumb, or whatever, but I think basic concepts of understanding the human mind applies to everything.

iRJi

Smash Champion
It would also help me to say which tags everyone used so I can label them properly, in case you guys used a different tag during the tournament.

ANTi_

Smash Hero
me vs m2k up first :awesome:

I used the " A " tag.

And our set went

Game 1 on smashville
Then M2K switched controller to **** a lvl 3 and get warmed up
Then game 2 on FD.

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
i remember shadow worked extremely hard in his prime to when i was in my prime not working to get better at all. played him twice in the same tourney after that and the matches werent even close.
HEY! HEY! **** YOU, GUY.
:laugh:

When should the list be up? I keep coming back here every day only to read depressing quotes from mah ***** ksizzle, and there is no official power ranking for me to boast about in my defense.

iRJi

Smash Champion
HEY! HEY! **** YOU, GUY.
:laugh:

When should the list be up? I keep coming back here every day only to read depressing quotes from mah ***** ksizzle, and there is no official power ranking for me to boast about in my defense.
Its up o_o

Vinnie

Smash Master
Dabuz, who have you beaten with Sheik that's notable?

Nairo can argue DK onto his name because he has beaten Atomsk. Don't you just use Sheik on noobs?

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Dabuz, who have you beaten with Sheik that's notable?

Nairo can argue DK onto his name because he has beaten Atomsk. Don't you just use Sheik on noobs?
so? I used her and advanced in tournaments as a result of it. Besides, i used her on MUs that are kind of annoying for olimar. She is next to my name in a couple tournaments, so i figured that would be enough for her to be next to my name.

Edit: Against who did anti win sets on with snake?

And anyone find it funny that 7/10 players have mk next to their name on the PR? xD

Top Bottom