• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NJ Finder - Tournament Finder Updated (10/8) See new thread for Brawl Rankings

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
PS: Thiocyanide should be placed about Jigglymaster, Vex, and whatever other PoS... uhhh... I mean ToS members managed to make some form of ranking. Pure ****.
i dont even udnerstand this statement aside from calling us PoS

wtf did we ever do to NJ.
why does everyone in this state hate us

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
My dad is the coolest guy ever.

Hes going to go down to Princeton just to pick up 2 or 3 members from my crew and then back on the day after the tourney. And its like an hour and a half drive.

I <3 him so much.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Apparently I lead some sort of panel? LOL

Keitaro is right, doubles has never ever ever been a part of, nor should it ever be considered when ranking people. If you want to use doubles results, you would have to make a whole separate list just dedicated to doubles, because it really is a different game entirely and shouldnt be mixed in with singles. By mixing the two you are saying "doubles is valuable, but not NEARLY as valuable as singles so it counts for a minuscule amount" when really you should be saying "they are two separate games and you cant combine them. this is a ranking which only takes singles results into account"

when close calls come up, you deal with em. don't take something arbitrary and try to use it to settle a dispute, that doesnt even make sense.
Quote for the F-ing win.

I haven't told you recently so ill remind you again, I love you JFox :D

This thread has been slacking without your guidance but I understand since you don't really play Brawl. I'd do something about it but I'm too lazy >_>

I'll try to start with some changes tomorrow guys. First change will be new words in the title of the thread ;D

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Keitaro is right, doubles has never ever ever been a part of, nor should it ever be considered when ranking people. If you want to use doubles results, you would have to make a whole separate list just dedicated to doubles, because it really is a different game entirely and shouldnt be mixed in with singles. By mixing the two you are saying "doubles is valuable, but not NEARLY as valuable as singles so it counts for a minuscule amount" when really you should be saying "they are two separate games and you cant combine them. this is a ranking which only takes singles results into account"
What a shame, since I count it all the time, and produce accurate lists that the other panelists either totally agree with right away with no changes (previous list) or make one or two minor changes (current list). It seems to produce very accurate lists regardless of people saying it somehow doesn't.

The fact of the matter is, it's been proven to work in practice since players typically place about the same in both events.

when close calls come up, you deal with em. don't take something arbitrary and try to use it to settle a dispute, that doesnt even make sense.
Pray tell, how did you deal with them? I definitely recall doubles and low tier events being brought up as tiebreakers many times. That's how I settled every tie in my head, and that's what I presented in those discussions.

i dont even udnerstand this statement aside from calling us PoS

wtf did we ever do to NJ.
why does everyone in this state hate us
You tend to intrude on our disputes frequently with comments that both sides (especially mine) do not want to hear. You seem to think NJ's business is your business, when it really isn't... No offense meant, honestly. You have a residence in NJ, but it's so far off that it hardly matters, and you spend more time in PA.

Quote for the F-ing win.

I haven't told you recently so ill remind you again, I love you JFox :D

This thread has been slacking without your guidance but I understand since you don't really play Brawl. I'd do something about it but I'm too lazy >_>

I'll try to start with some changes tomorrow guys. First change will be new words in the title of the thread ;D
The fact of the matter is, it's (counting doubles) been proven to work in practice since players typically place about the same in both events.

Unless you can present evidence that considering doubles in the rankings produces inaccuracies, your case falls apart and you are left only with the option to concede defeat to me.

Well, what will it be?

Who wants to help me at UN OWEN was Jigglypuff?

My entire crew isn't coming and this is just my first tournament lol. And like a lot of people are coming.
I'm obviously your best option.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I'm not as worried anymore because Chibo and Vex are able to come now.

But I'll let you and whoever else is a usual TO to do the tournament bracket making.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero

But I'll let you and whoever else is a usual TO to do the tournament bracket making.

thats awesome to hear. As a hint though you should really learn to do it yourself. There is nothing like learning to be a good host. Besides once you learn how to do it you will get more respect from others and will be able to help everyone.

Inui - as a friend to another i know what your saying and agree partially but power rankings are made for singles and should be only based on it. I propose make one separate for doubles so people can find better partners and such. Do me a favor just stop acting like a jerk for once and try being nice.

Inui

Banned via Warnings

That makes you less worried?

It's important to let knowledgable people seed, but authority and willingness to wield it are necessary to make this happen properly.

lightxdream said:
Inui - as a friend to another i know what your saying and agree partially but power rankings are made for singles and should be only based on it. I propose make one separate for doubles so people can find better partners and such. Do me a favor just stop acting like a jerk for once and try being nice.
A seperate doubles list is unlikely to happen. If the other panelists want to do it, I'd do it, and I do not think it'd be hard.

1. Mew2King
2/3: Inui/Atomsk
2/3: Inui/Atomsk
4. dmbrandon

5-15 would be comprised of ADHD, Pierce, Doom, ksizzle, Ether, and other players known to place well in doubles. I reckon Doom has a nice shot at 5th in doubles. His doubles and singles placings differences are the most drastic I've ever seen.

I'm not being a jerk. I'm just presenting logical arguments that are not being refuted.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
well sometimes things are the way they are you do not have to force people to view your ways if they do not agree let them do things their own way.

You should still make a separate doubles list that way its more interesting. We know who the best players are but who are the best teammates you know.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Be my guest if you want to help register people. I'm definatly letting the regular TO's like you Inui do the tournament seeding.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Be my guest if you want to help register people. I'm definatly letting the regular TO's like you Inui do the tournament seeding.
I mean...

If someone is playing friendlies, just unplug their controllers. If people complain about something stupid (fighting a crewmate in semis or quarters, for instance) tell them to shut up and play or get DQed.

That's how you make a tournament run on time. That's what I meant by having authority and using it.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
I mean...

If someone is playing friendlies, just unplug their controllers. If people complain about something stupid (fighting a crewmate in semis or quarters, for instance) tell them to shut up and play or get DQed.

That's how you make a tournament run on time. That's what I meant by having authority and using it.

if only people took their own advice.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
If people complain about something stupid (fighting a crewmate in semis or quarters, for instance) tell them to shut up and play or get DQed.
how many times have you complained about this or complained that you fought someone good or said your bracket was "too hard"?

Inui

Banned via Warnings
how many times have you complained about this or complained that you fought someone good or said your bracket was "too hard"?
Fighting a crewmate in quarters or semis is a ridiculous complaint. I have never complained about such a thing. I have fought Atomsk in semis countless times.

The undisputed 1st and 2nd best teams fighting in quarters, which was going to happen at the last Gametable, is absolutely ridiculous and complaining about such a thing is valid.

Atomsk and I fighting Azen and ChuDat before quarters at CoT4 was obviously stupid, and making a complaint about that was totally justified.

Please point out some instance where my complaints were not justified.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
your complaints are always not justified. Just let a kid make the mistakes and grow from it. Why do you think I stayed out of it. It's points to rag on people for being bad T.O's when no one gives them a chance to progress as such.

I remeber you flipped a **** cause I put you in Anti's bracket at VC because you did not want to fight him and wanted to be on pierce side while Anti would be on Wes/bum side which makes no sense cause they are all in nyc

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
yeah, inui you claimed you "never complain about who you fight in brackets" in another thread... are you for real?
you do that all the time, with good reason though. i have no problem with you doing it, i do the same thing... but don't claim you openly allow TOs to give you absurdly hard brackets... because that's not true at all.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
yeah, inui you claimed you "never complain about who you fight in brackets" in another thread... are you for real?
you do that all the time, with good reason though. i have no problem with you doing it, i do the same thing... but don't claim you openly allow TOs to give you absurdly hard brackets... because that's not true at all.

exactly your a **** hypocrite and stuff like that makes me not respect you even MORE than i do sometimes for all the things you say on here about the children on this site. bottom line dont say your one thing and act a different way. I know we all do that but at least some of us try not to while you just are either blind as a bat or just plain psychotic.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
your complaints are always not justified. Just let a kid make the mistakes and grow from it. Why do you think I stayed out of it. It's points to rag on people for being bad T.O's when no one gives them a chance to progress as such.
If they weren't justified, they wouldn't be listened to and complied with so much.

I absolutely refuse to suffer from the mistakes of another person. They can muck up their tournament on someone else's watch. I'm not going to let something I attend become a disaster, nor will I allow myself to suffer the consequences of someone else's ridiculous mistake.

They can progress by learning from others instead of making other people suffer for their ignorance.

I remeber you flipped a **** cause I put you in Anti's bracket at VC because you did not want to fight him and wanted to be on pierce side while Anti would be on Wes/bum side which makes no sense cause they are all in nyc
I flipped? I don't recall being upset about it. I recall objecting because fighting Snake is something I'm horrified of, but I do not recall putting up much of a fight in this case. You ended up keeping me with Anti, and I went with it.

What are you talking about? Show where I said I literally never complain about hard brackets, in context.

I'm open to getting hard brackets in doubles. I win anyways. It's just ridiculous to have the undisputed 1st and 2nd best teams fighting in quarters. Semis can be justified based on crews or something, but quarters? That is absurd, and complaining about such a thing is legit. I do not care much about having to fight a hard team since I'm going to win anyways, but I don't think the 2nd best team should be in losers early enough to doom some other good teams to 9th/7th when they should place higher.

exactly your a **** hypocrite and stuff like that makes me not respect you even MORE than i do sometimes for all the things you say on here about the children on this site. bottom line dont say your one thing and act a different way. I know we all do that but at least some of us try not to while you just are either blind as a bat or just plain psychotic.
Please actually show true instances of hypocrisy, in context, because I grow tired of baseless accussations. Exaggerations don't cut it, nor does only one instance of me complaining for self-benefit.

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
inui - "Today I fought ONLY both 5th placers, 4th place, and 2nd place. No easy rounds at all. It's fun that way. "
"Noob, I always have hard brackets for myself. Go look at some of them on AiB. Just go click one of my 90+ medals.

The bracket that was set up was garbage, and I don't need a "free ride" to fourth round. My skill can take me far enough, thank you very much."

these quotes certainly make it seem like you have no problem with having a hard bracket... particularly the " i always have hard brackets for myself" one... that just sounds like you're saying you purposely make these brackets hard on yourself. unless you didn't mean for it to sound liek that.. then i'd understand about that one.

also, whether or not you got your way with the anti situation... you still complained about it. do you really think you complaining about having someone in your bracket because you're AFRAID OF A MATCHUP is ok? while you make fun of others for arguing over a bracket where they have to FIGHT A FRIEND in semis?
that's the exact definition of hypocrisy sir.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Inui, I like you, you're a cool dude, but if you're wondering why Juice didn't want you at their Smashfest, you last few posts are perfect examples.

I know this isn't the case, or I hope it's not, but you make it seem like the only reason you're even a part of the community is to act better than most of it. =(

Inui

Banned via Warnings
inui - "Today I fought ONLY both 5th placers, 4th place, and 2nd place. No easy rounds at all. It's fun that way. "
Your point? Where does this imply that I never complain about a hard bracket? It's fun for me sometimes, but I do not regard it as fair to me or others.

"Noob, I always have hard brackets for myself. Go look at some of them on AiB. Just go click one of my 90+ medals."
Yes, I do. Go look at the brackets yourself. I almost always have hard brackets in both singles and teams, especially teams (I actually think people do this on purpose to try and set me up to lose).

Again, how does this quote show that I "never complain" about a hard bracket?

"The bracket that was set up was garbage, and I don't need a "free ride" to fourth round. My skill can take me far enough, thank you very much."
Yes, the bracket in that situation was set up quite poorly.

I was then accused of needing a free ride to 4th round, which I refuted.

Nowhere did I claim that I wouldn't complain about a hard bracket.

these quotes certainly make it seem like you have no problem with having a hard bracket... particularly the " i always have hard brackets for myself" one... that just sounds like you're saying you purposely make these brackets hard on yourself. unless you didn't mean for it to sound liek that.. then i'd understand about that one.
Yeah, I typically give myself a bracket that isn't easy because I like competition and don't want to be viewed as corrupt. However, I don't enjoy having stupidly hard brackets, where 1st and 2nd seed fight in quarters, for instance.

also, whether or not you got your way with the anti situation... you still complained about it. do you really think you complaining about having someone in your bracket because you're AFRAID OF A MATCHUP is ok? while you make fun of others for arguing over a bracket where they have to FIGHT A FRIEND in semis?
that's the exact definition of hypocrisy sir.
Yes, I voiced a complaint about it, but not just based on me hating Snake. At that tournament, I didn't think Anti and I should have been fighting in quarters skillwise, as shown by me coasting through losers for a while after losing to Anti and dooming some people to a lower placing they otherwise could have avoided.

Regardless, my complaint is nowhere near as ridiculous as complaining about fighting a friend at the second to last round of a bracket.

Inui, I like you, you're a cool dude, but if you're wondering why Juice didn't want you at their Smashfest, you last few posts are perfect examples.
I wasn't invited because of Atomsk. Doom would have most certainly invited me, even if some of his crew complained about it.

I view everything that I have posted as the infallable truth. Nobody is proving me wrong.

I know this isn't the case, or I hope it's not, but you make it seem like the only reason you're even a part of the community is to act better than most of it. =(
No.

I make money off of Brawl, enjoy hosting events, and have an extreme amount of fun in doubles and low tier events. Those are all part of why I am in this community.

JFox

Smash Hero
Inui, when close calls come up, here's how you settle them-

First- Who placed more consistently. Second- How the two players did vs each other. Third and final- Personal opinion.

So here's what this means-

You compare both players history in tourney. If they are both very close, you give it to whoever is more consistent as a player. If they are both very consistent and that doesnt work, you use how they did vs each other. ONLY if these two both somehow don't answer things, you would resort to who you personally feel is the stronger player. As hard as you may try, this tends to be pretty biased, which is why it is always a last resort.

Now regardless of how your lists have succeeded in the past, this is how I feel things should be done. Doubles and low tiers are something entirely different and shouldn't ever have even a slight effect on how you rank people. Use a little logic when you do these sorts of things.

I'm finished. I have no business in these matters any longer.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Inui, when close calls come up, here's how you settle them-

First- Who placed more consistently. Second- How the two players did vs each other. Third and final- Personal opinion.
I'm aware of that, but what if there's a tie in consistency and head to head sets? Such things do happen.

So here's what this means-

You compare both players history in tourney. If they are both very close, you give it to whoever is more consistent as a player. If they are both very consistent and that doesnt work, you use how they did vs each other. ONLY if these two both somehow don't answer things, you would resort to who you personally feel is the stronger player. As hard as you may try, this tends to be pretty biased, which is why it is always a last resort.
So why not rely on other tournament placings?

If two players have equal singles placings and accomplishments, then the player that performs better in doubles and/or low tiers is obviously the better player, regardless of someone's biased opinion.

You're suggesting that an opinion is used, while I'm suggestion that more facts are used to determine who deserves to be ranked higher.

Now regardless of how your lists have succeeded in the past, this is how I feel things should be done. Doubles and low tiers are something entirely different and shouldn't ever have even a slight effect on how you rank people. Use a little logic when you do these sorts of things.
I do not understand how they're entirely different.

It's still Super Smash Bros. The winner is determined by skill, and the one with greater skill in these events deserves to be ranked over someone with identical skill in singles.

My logic tells me that someone that does the same in singles but better in both doubles and low tiers is the better player. Care to somehow dispute that or prove that it's not accurate to put the better doubles player higher on the list? I'm basing my decision on facts of the tournament scene, not an opinion.

Top Bottom