• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NJ Finder - Tournament Finder Updated (10/8) See new thread for Brawl Rankings

Shadow 111

Smash Lord

:laugh: The best part is that less than 15 people probably care about how they are ranked or whether or not they're on it.

LOL :bee: i just thought it'd be fun. i don't think anyone would actually take that seriously and put me on. i also wanted to be subscribed to this thread cuz it's funnny reading through all the dramatic comments.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
LOL :bee: i just thought it'd be fun. i don't think anyone would actually take that seriously and put me on. i also wanted to be subscribed to this thread cuz it's funnny reading through all the dramatic comments.
I've been playing Osu! and refreshing the Atlantic North boards after every song.

It's heavy stuff. xD

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Thiocyanide, why do you think we have 5 panelists with differing viewpoints? To make sure everything is considered in order to make the list accurate. It has always worked out well. The process is quick, not hard, and an accurate list is always made.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Thiocyanide, why do you think we have 5 panelists with differing viewpoints? To make sure everything is considered in order to make the list accurate. It has always worked out well. The process is quick, not hard, and an accurate list is always made.
An arbitrary measurement system would be faster, would involve less bickering, and make everybody involved not look like gigantic pricks.

@Spam: We all know whose ego this list is a monument to.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
An arbitrary measurement system would be faster, would involve less bickering, and make everybody involved not look like gigantic pricks.

@Spam: We all know whose ego this list is a monument to.
Nope. We can make the list in about one hour of discussion if we're all online. We almost never bicker amongst ourselves and everything turns out fine. It may appear like some hassle or something that causes fights, but that's only in this thread where egos and ideas actively clash. The process is easy and argument-free in private.

lol @ the last part :laugh:

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I think congratulations are in order for Cyanide. He has managed to get off of my ignore list.

I was on your ignore list?

God ****ing dammit, that explains so much.

@Inui: The advantages of a numerical-based list would also include the following:

- Rankings throughout a season (Simple Excel spreadsheet algorithms would be able to keep that up to date after every tourney, and you could even do it in Google Docs to make it available to all)
- You could rank ALL of NJ (Not that the majority of us care, but it would be doable)
- Would involve 0 discussion except possible equation fixes for accuracy
- Would allow everybody to see exactly what goes into the rankings. Honestly, I think one of the issues some people have is that they only have a very vague idea of how you're ranking people.

Obviously your system has worked well, but this type of argument over who's better, etc gets brought up every season. It gets old.

I won't debate that a numerical, equation-based system can't really take into account who wins and loses to who at given tourneys, though. Every system has its flaws.

EDIT: @ Allin: Osu! is still fun as hell without a touchpad interface. It actually allows for different things, like faster stacked buttons (You can use both mouse buttons to click them, increasing the speed you can hit them dramatically), and best of all it's all custom songs, meaning that it's not restricted to the crap they've fed us in Osu1, Osu2, and EBA1.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
I think with Viridian city and inui's tournametns this could be a great season plus there is APEX

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Which is why such a system will never be used.
I could make exactly the same argument against your system, which probably takes your opinions of somebody's skill into account, which people may or may not disagree with.

Heh, this sounds just like the loot council vs DKP argument.

In the end, I don't care. You may want to make your rankings discussion publically available, though, so people know what your thought processes are.

Shadow 111

Smash Lord

?? The comment was a response to cyanide, not you.

my bad lol. i was basically quoting you because i wanted to make known that i didn't actually care about the rankings either.
spam, teach me wario vs snake :(. i want to start using wario as a secondary because he's so **** fun lol. i was thinking the only matchup i really wanna use him in is vs snake though, aside from matchups on certain stages. i wanna talk to you on aim tomorrow about it, if you have any useful info about it. i figured you would because of how well you did vs ally with him.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
He goes after me the most, but I'm not on his ignore list. :laugh:

<3 Kashif. Let's chill this week if you're home. Actually stay over my house for once. We can play MELEE and other games not Smash.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
I'm not on his ignore list. :laugh:
That's what you think :laugh:. You post gay pics randomly and you and doom flirted for like 20 pages in some thread. I don't like seeing garbage. I just reveal your posts in important threads.

<3 Kashif. Let's chill this week if you're home. Actually stay over my house for once. We can play MELEE and other games not Smash.
I'll see.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
lol wtf @ having that many people on ignore

Especially when you obviously click to see at least 90% of my posts given how much you respond to them.

How's Tuesday?

Inui

Banned via Warnings
No way. You respond to basically everything I post with some type of bashing/making me look stupid. It's like your life's mission on Smashboards. >_>;

How are you busy so much? You're a nerd with no life! What are you doing? When are you free?

fkacyan

Smash Hero
LOL nice English translation :bee:.

Yea the anime is amazing =D <333333333 Louise :bee:
I wouldn't mind it if it weren't just a slightly less mature version of Shakugan no Shana in a different 'verse.

Granted, I watched them back to back so I'm slightly biased.

Allin

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't mind it if it weren't just a slightly less mature version of Shakugan no Shana in a different 'verse.

Granted, I watched them back to back so I'm slightly biased.

There both really good Anime's though i might prefer Shakugan No Shana more at the moment. (Im not finished Familiar of Zero yet on season 3)

fkacyan

Smash Hero
There both really good Anime's though i might prefer Shakugan No Shana more at the moment. (Im not finished Familiar of Zero yet on season 3)
SnS managed to avoid having to use what was essentially a deus ex machina at the end of a season to provide a happy ending, which ZnT has not.

Also, the LOOKATBOOBSANDYOUBLOWUP gimmick is pretty old.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
@ Ryhme and others: Mad late to say, but I was joking about asking my gf if I could eat at the diner. I didn't have much money and just didn't feel like going :p

Eazy23

Smash Lord
:)

While doubles may be a valid way to guage, to some extent, a player's skill, it has not been used ( atleast in the open) for the NJ rankings. The outcome of a doubles match is highly dependant on EACH player's ability vs every character on the screen, ability to work with their partner on weird stages, and those "O ****" moments that happen every match.

For instance,

Spam and Inui lose to umbra and Malcolm.
Partially because malcolm *****, and neither of them really knew how 2 handle wario at the time.
Partially because their strategies didn't mesh, and their styles clashed.
Did this loss apply a negative view to either of these players as far as singles?

Honestly, singles is the default norm. A push for doubles to be taken more seriously is great, but leave it as it is, a push. It's not there yet. If someone asks how good someone is, they are referring to singles, we all know this.

In order to use doubles we would need 2 start small, finding ways to guage individual doubles production. I duno, a stat compilation or something. It is far to easy for someone to ride off of the success of their partner. Once we have an EFFECTIVE means of telling how well people do in doubles, I wouldn't be against using it as a standard as well as singles. But for now, it is all word of mouth, which is bs, so my vote of course is no.

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
If neither of them could handle Wario in doubles, how different would it be in singles?

Overall doubles results should be enough to remove a need for some statistical compilation. The teams results are still pretty consistent (though less so than singles). As Jason and I said, doubles should count, just not as much as singles. What about the people whose minds work in a way that is fit much more to doubles than singles? Should their doubles accomplishments just go unnoticed? I think it's completely reasonable for them to be ranked. Obviously, an accomplishment in teams will mean less than one in singles, but it should still be taken into consideration. Doubles really is not something to overlook.

Eazy23

Smash Lord
Dealing with wario in singles is much different than dealing with him in doubles. There are alot of characters that have to be dealt with in a different fashion in singles and doubles. And my point is that while viewing doubles as far as overall player accomplishments is a great idea, its NOT going to be done the right way, atleast right now.

For some, it may be obvious. Their teams matches are recorded, and everyone stands around to watch them. But for others...how do we know? It's not something that the community has been really big on, so now only those who are KNOWN as great teamates will get those extra points. Ksizzle isn't known as a really good teamate, but Inui is, so Ksizzle loses? But Ksizzle hasn't really had the chance to team with someone on his skill level for months and months, to establish chemistry and team strats. This is just one example of how saying " O Im great in teams" is unfair.

Define a great teamate. I would like to see a desired damage output/taken ratio. Average stock lifetime, average stock taking, etc. We don't know which players in NJ are performing the best in teams, because its all subjective.

I've heard TONS of people say how this person sucks in teams, and wasn't a problem. When Inui and atomsk fought spam and M2k, Inui would say that spam wasnt the problem at all and was hardly contributing. Spam of course disagreed, and claimed he was ****** Inui. Who is telling the truth? How do we know who is actually performing at an impressive level? Are we just looking at wins? We KNOW that the win isnt due to the effort of ONE single player, so how can we, at this point in time, act like we can use a teams rep that has in no way shape or form been factually proven, to give the edge to one player over another?

ANTi_

Smash Hero
Eazy Logic may be the only type of logic known to man to almost compare to Anti Logic i like it though

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
ripped by a puff, dam jg. and im happy 4 panelists are on the same side lmao ily keit eazy pierce <3

Top Bottom