• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo to stop selling 3 controllers, including Gamecube.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Found this on GameFAQs:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6194855.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;4

Apparently Nintendo is being sued and will halt the sales of 3 types of controllers. Wiimote and nunchuck players might soon be more popular...
No they wont, nintendo is rich and powerful and will eventually find a way to keep up production of their cub controllers because it rakes in WAY more cash than the Classic controller. If it comes to losing money, Nintendo bears their fangs.

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
Article said:
The original suit sought to have Nintendo's Wii Classic Controller, Wii Nunchuk, GameCube controller, and GameCube WaveBird all deemed in violation of an Anascape patent for a "six degrees of freedom" interface device. A jury found that all of those products, with the exception of the Wii Nunchuk, infringed on Anascape's patent.
All of Nintendo's wireless controllers were patent infringed, so a ban would be placed on them. I'm curious as to why the GC controller violated the interface, as this infringement only applies to wireless controllers, controllers that use Wavebird.

strongfan

Smash Rookie
Baw! Has anyone even heard of anascape? And how does the GameCube controller and the Classic controller infringe the patent/copyright/whatever? I understand how the WiiMote would, but everything else is BULL****! I just hope Nintendo does the royalty thing! There are people with Wii's who didn't get a GameCube first! There are people who are going to get a Wii without buying a GameCube so they can play GC games too! What about the Virtual Console/WiiWare? The Majority of the games there require a Classic Controller or a GC controller! Baw!

cwm123

Smash Cadet
Baw! Has anyone even heard of anascape? And how does the GameCube controller and the Classic controller infringe the patent/copyright/whatever? I understand how the WiiMote would, but everything else is BULL****! I just hope Nintendo does the royalty thing! There are people with Wii's who didn't get a GameCube first! There are people who are going to get a Wii without buying a GameCube so they can play GC games too! What about the Virtual Console/WiiWare? The Majority of the games there require a Classic Controller or a GC controller! Baw!
I know, what a pain. And I'd like to know how one claims invention of the analog stick. That's like claiming ownership of the button.

Newuser12345215

Smash Journeyman
Click for article.

Wikipedia, scroll down a little.

Anascape Ltd filed a lawsuit against Nintendo claiming that the Classic Controller and other Nintendo devices violated Anascape's "six degrees of freedom" interface device patent. In July 2008 the verdict ruled in favor of Anascape; Nintendo was ordered to stop selling the Classic Controller in the United States until further notice. Nintendo has exercised the right to continue selling the Classic Controller pending a verdict at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Well, Nintendo might not be able to sale it any later, we'll see but they can still sell it right now.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Nintendo only has to stop selling them here. The patent only applies in the United States.

I'm buying a white one from Japan anyways.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I'm curious as to why the GC controller violated the interface, as this infringement only applies to wireless controllers, controllers that use Wavebird.
It's based on the specific way the joysticks are designed. Not sure wether it's the control stick or the C-Stick though.

SlyNinja

Smash Rookie
I looked this up, apparently they can still sell the Classic Controllers, so if you use those you're fine. GameCube controllers were one of the last things to be made of "Nintendium", but if you're incredibly afraid it will break buy them. Nintendo can still sell them until their appeal they sent in to get rid of the effects of this whole ordeal. This lawsuit alone took 2 years until Nintendo lost, so with the "speed" of the American court, you'll still be able to buy them for months. And, if Nintendo's appeal goes through they'll be able to sell them as long as they want.

Also, as a "side-effect" of this whole lawsuit, Anascape(who doesn't even MAKE anything) can now produce 3rd party controllers for the Wii. I just find it hilarious a company that doesn't make a ****ing thing of importance has a patent.

TL;DR-You still have months to buy GameCube controllers, Classic ones can still be sold.

Source:http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...stories/072508dnbusnintendofolo.88f980ec.html

chucklesXcore

Smash Apprentice
It says right in the article that Nintendo can avoid the band in 2 different ways. One of those placing royalties in escrow account. Nintendo, is not going to halt production when they can do something much simpler. That would probably be their last ditch effort, but trust me on this...they will find a way around it.

SlyNinja

Smash Rookie
I still feel this case was useless and Anascape is full of so much **** it should spew from them.

"A 3D controller with vibration" and they filed the patent in 2000.

2000!??!

The N64 Rumble Pack was out before that! It doesn't make any sense at all.

chucklesXcore

Smash Apprentice
I still feel this case was useless and Anascape is full of so much **** it should spew from them.

"A 3D controller with vibration" and they filed the patent in 2000.

2000!??!

The N64 Rumble Pack was out before that! It doesn't make any sense at all.
the rumble pack was a separate piece though. it wasn't built in.

and LOOP HOLE.

SlyNinja

Smash Rookie
the rumble pack was a separate piece though. it wasn't built in.

and LOOP HOLE.
Anascape doesn't even make anything they patent. Why should they have even had a right to file this lawsuit against Nintendo? Yet alone Nintendo, Microsoft, AND Sony.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
I doubt they'll win the case and even if they do, Nintendo will probably pay them off and continue or just rework it a bit.

SlyNinja

Smash Rookie
Anascape just wants 15 minutes of fame. They're total idiots.

Basically.

Maybe now that they have $21 million more plus the pay off from Microsoft, they'll start designed and manufacturing high quality products. HAHAHAHA I should be a comedian.

I doubt they'll win the case and even if they do, Nintendo will probably pay them off and continue or just rework it a bit.
They already won.

Also, source(in case you missed it):http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...stories/072508dnbusnintendofolo.88f980ec.html

This is the most up-to-date source I found. Which basically says only the GameCube controller is effected by this, unless I misread that horribly since it says in text that Nintendo is still able to sell the classic controller extension.

Really all you need to worry about is buy a GameCube controller from your local GameStop or what ever if you think yours is going to break, or start practicing Brawl with the Wiimote and Nunchuck.

Talazala

Smash Journeyman
I can't believe the law allows people to exploit something like patents, and then allow them to go ahead and patent ideas so they can get rich off an idea they didn't even come up with.

Hey I have an idea. Anascape should patent CO2. This way they can sue every single person on the face of the planet.

Proud_Smash_N00b

Smash Ace
It is bad for both Melee and Brawl

Melee: Not alot of people would be able to get a GC controller so less people could play. If a Brawl player wanted to play Melee, but only had a Wii and always used the Wiimote, he or she wouldnt be able to play whenever they wanted to. You can't play Melee without a GC controller. Less people would be able to switch.

Brawl: People who get into the scene late will not be able to exploit the advantages of using a GC controller, such as C-stick and X/Y buttons. More people would use Wiimotes, which already isn't recommended and would be disappointed if they expected themselves to do well in tourneys because using a GC controller gives its user a slight advantage

L__

Smash Master
Anascape. Honestly, I've never heard of them before. Hmm, we as a smash community are going to die over time if this continues.....time to order from Japan. Good luck Americans that don't understand how to order things...

I didn't pay attention to that last part. >.> Americans not knowing how to order. LOOL!

Tangy

Smash Apprentice
I've been reading articles on this topic, but I can't find anywhere saying why Nintendo is being sued. Is it for plagiarism or something?

chucklesXcore

Smash Apprentice
Anascape doesn't even make anything they patent. Why should they have even had a right to file this lawsuit against Nintendo? Yet alone Nintendo, Microsoft, AND Sony.
you don't have to make something you patent. A patent is a protection for an idea. If you think of something "first"(note the quotes please) and patent it then you were the original creator. Since you thought of it first, no one can "steal"(again, quotes) your idea without giving you due credit. People do this all the time. Its smart for being a scammer if you think about it. The moment the rumble pack was introduced I'm sure they all thought to patent it because they knew the next generation would upgrade and make it built in. Make up some BS company name and then patent an idea that is bound to be needed. Its witty to patent something that is bound to be needed. But I honestly think all the video game companies learned their lesson. They are probably now going on a patent spree to patent all of the ideas they have so no one else can "beat them to it".

L__

Smash Master
To be honest, the competition is starting to bug me. Although it is creating "healthy" competition, we're waiting to see what happens, and quite frankly it's rather boring.

DTKPch

Smash Journeyman
Well, gamecube controllers are neutral, do not give specific characters distinct or overcomeable advantages, and do not introduce any unnecessary randomness. We, as the smash community, should write in and tell them to not use their banhammer. How cool would that be, though, if SBRoomers could affect legal proceedings like this...

Anyways, I hate Anascape, and while typing this, I had to scroll to an above post just to remember the name Anascape, because they're so **** insignificant that I can't even remember their name. I don't think it will affect me that much, just because my Wavebirds will never break. Ever. I will bet large sums of money on that.

Oh, and I'm also thinking about getting the white one with the 3m cord from Japan. Those things look so freaking sweet.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Umm.... yeah, I read everything, but still... I'm confused... WHO THE **** IS ANASCAPE???

Like, I've never ever heard of them before this. I think it's sooo funny how little, back-end low-tier bullshizt *** companies are trying to screw the big names over. First it was that thing about PS3 controllers not having rumble. Now this.

Nintendo's been around for like 100 years. Anascape is unheard of. Go away. Nintendo could probably buy Anascape with the change in its back pocket.

okiyama

Smash Ace
I would laugh SO hard if they made an awsome controller that's like WAY better than anything Nintendo has to offer and then this topic will go down in history for being the "before anascape controllers gripe" topic.
Oh yeah... on topic...
anascape... their... a comapny that's sueing nintendo...
and we're all up in arms about it...
yeah.

Yeniths

East Midlands!
It will just cause people to buy their GC controllers from places like Ebay, i doubt it will spawn more wiimote players

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
"I patented a machine that sucks in oxygen and releases CO2 as a byproduct. That means all of you owe me royalties for breathing."

Basically sums up the ridiculousness of this. The patent system in the U.S. needs a huge overhaul. Patents should just expire after five years if the company who owns the patent fails to manufacture anything based on it.

Mewter

Smash Master
"I patented a machine that sucks in oxygen and releases CO2 as a byproduct. That means all of you owe me royalties for breathing."

Basically sums up the ridiculousness of this. The patent system in the U.S. needs a huge overhaul. Patents should just expire after five years if the company who owns the patent fails to manufacture anything based on it.
You know what I would really not like?
If someone patented one of my book characters and I made a story about it and they sued and I had the proof about my creating it but they won anyways.
That's what this is.
They see something that is going to be useful to them, and ripit away from the ones that really need it.:mad:
That is the first mad face I've used on these boards, by the way.

Darkurai

Smash Master
"I patented a machine that sucks in oxygen and releases CO2 as a byproduct and then I never made it. That means all of you owe me royalties for breathing."

I fixed your quote.
Because that's what it is. They're all bloody idiots. You can't patent something not make it, and then sue someone else for actually doing it.
Well, legally you can apparantly, but it's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

And besides, didn't Nintendo already stop making Gamecube controllers? I don't see any in stores anymore.

Top Bottom