• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo 3DS

UberMario

Smash Master
Most games will probably not use a 2nd control stick, anyway, so having an optional, ten-dollar add-on is pretty plausible. Besides, Sony basically did this with the Playstation. (There weren't any control sticks at all on the first controllers, but halfway through the PS1's lifespan, they added two onto the handles)

The touch screen and single stick that it already has is fine for most actions, imo, but the more options, the merrier I suppose....

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Agreed, so long as it's not implemented horribly then I guess it would be fine, just a simple add-on would be sufficient enough, no need to add one considering the how far in lifespan it already is, not to mention most games wouldn't even utilize it as much.

If any feature should be implemented on the 3DS itself it should be a messaging feature, kind of like IM to some degree.

:phone:

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Roller Coaster Tycoon was a very fun "small-god" game. It came at a good time, since I was getting a little tired of Theme Hospital by that point lol.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Would that be any good? On the 3ds?

It's basically like Sim City on a console? (I have only played the first Roller Coaster Tycoon)

I'm not sure how well that'd work on a handheld though I am willing to be proven wrong. Super Nintendo Sim City was the last game like this I played on a console and not PC and the controls were sub par.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I really hope they do some cool stuff with the touch screen, because I can see the controls being terrible if they don't.

Roller coasters in 3D will be ****ing badass. Especially if there's the simulate ride thing.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Sounds like a fun game, but still not that "marquee" game that is gonna boost sales imo. And it's weird to say, I don't think StarFox is either.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I really don't think there's going to be one single game that defines the 3DS.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well, what I'm saying is that...as much as a lot of us fans like StarFox, Donkey Kong, Kid Icarus, etc...the two primary mascots will always be Mario and Link. OoT had great sales, and I don't see StarFox doing the same, good reviews or bad. They need a solid Mario title to get the ship moving as well.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, what I'm saying is that...as much as a lot of us fans like StarFox, Donkey Kong, Kid Icarus, etc...the two primary mascots will always be Mario and Link. OoT had great sales, and I don't see StarFox doing the same, good reviews or bad. They need a solid Mario title to get the ship moving as well.
I know I'm getting Starfox. I loved that game, though I never actually owned it.

I kinda wish Mario 64 hadn't came out on the DS so we'd get a new awesome 3DS version.

We'd have the big 64 games all on a new system

UberMario

Smash Master
It's good to see the Rollercoaster Tycoon series revived again, the concept of playing it on a handheld seems odd, though. As has been said before, riding the rollercoasters in 3-D would be amazing.

OmegaXXII

I know I'm getting Starfox. I loved that game, though I never actually owned it.

I kinda wish Mario 64 hadn't came out on the DS so we'd get a new awesome 3DS version.

We'd have the big 64 games all on a new system
Haha, Goldeneye, Banjo-Koozie anyone?

But nah, it would have been nice if RARE were still part of Nintendo, we would have gotten a Banjo remake for sure.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
So because it has no relevance to me, I can't post an opinion?
I didn't say that.

I just think it's a tangential thing to bring up, to hear about a new game and immediately think "what does this mean for Nintendo's stock" rather than, you know, something related to the game. The 3DS isn't doing so badly yet as to really justify worrying about Nintendo as a company imo. And, to me personally it's just not interesting.

idgaf what you talk about though. don't take it personally. I'm not telling you not share your opinion. I also have a right to post my opinion, which in this case happens to be that your opinion is stupid :p

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I just think it's a tangential thing to bring up, to hear about a new game and immediately think "what does this mean for Nintendo's stock" rather than, you know, something related to the game. The 3DS isn't doing so badly yet as to really justify worrying about Nintendo as a company imo. And, to me personally it's just not interesting.
Maybe you should tell that to Nintedo that their 3DS isn't doing so bad, because to them, sales have been lackluster, and one thing that has definitely been the problem is the poor or unpopular game lineup. You can be all hyped up about Roller Coaster Tycoon, but that's still not a AAA title like Mario or Zelda. I mean, why are things so bad that rumors are circulating about Iwata possibly being fired and a second analog stick being introduced? It's only been 5 freaking months since the system came out, and the only reason talk like this would be happening is if there is something bad going on that Nintendo is afraid of.

After 5 months, the 3DS marquee lineup will be Street Fighter, Zelda: OoT and Starfox...both remasters of the n64 versions. Not good at all.

idgaf what you talk about though. don't take it personally. I'm not telling you not share your opinion. I also have a right to post my opinion, which in this case happens to be that your opinion is stupid :p
Okay, I won't take it personally, despite having my opinion called stupid and what not.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
You shouldn't. You are not your opinions.

I believe the 3DS is doing about as well as the original DS did at the same juncture. Not stellar by any means. I don't treat rumors as substantial evidence for anything. I might be wrong. I don't know. I don't care. My only point was that I think it's weird to talk about it. Let's get over this several hours ago please.

Life

Smash Hero
PS3 never had this much doom and gloom about it even though it had a pretty pathetic launch. I think this is just Nintendo's hatedom at work again.

OmegaXXII

One can only wonder what's happening with Nintendo while Nintendo themselves truly know what going on behing the scenes, personally I'm not taking these rumore so seriously since they are well...rumors, plus I believe with it's line up of upcoming games like Star Fox, Paper Mario, Smash 4, it won't be doing so bad, I believe since they are AAA titles it should help in sales, to a certain degree to overcome any troubles? that I can't answer.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but both Sony and Microsoft's operations expand outside the gaming industry. I don't think Nintendo has anything like that? It's been a while since they've been down for the count with the Wii practically winning this generation (in terms of sales) and the same with the DS. Gaming is all they have.

Wii sales have obviously been lacking this past year or so, but that just has to do with the fact everyone has one imo than anything else. Of course, a lot of those people are casual fans or parents...so don't expect much buys in regards to video games either.

Spire

III
BRoomer
The 3DS gets hate namely from those who haven't played it. The PS3's launch price and subsequent problems garnered more hate because it had a much larger audience than the 3DS at launch.

Remember when we just played board games? No one really hated on 'em, rather, "play it or don't, we're just passing time with some cheap fun." People take video games way too seriously, so much that they'll boycott entire companies because they're different (Nintendo), or because they price their products at extravagant prices. Video games have found a rather large social niche, one of which is extremely demanding. So many people were ready to buy a $600 PS3 based upon the fact that they enjoyed their PS2 and/or PSX. So many more weren't, and a fair portion of those resent the company. The company is not here to provide for you, they just provide. This goes for Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony. They all have their flaws because of how enormous they are.

If you have a problem with your standing in society based upon what video games you own and have access to, then you should probably rethink your life. It is not a measure of man that he possesses the newest technology.

What a tangent, Mark! Anyways, as for the 3DS? It has a line-up of awesome games coming out. I highly doubt it won't survive through next year. With Ocarina 3D alone the handheld is strong. In terms of new games, it has Super Mario 3D Land (which seems to combine aspects of SMB3, SM64, and Galaxies), Kid Icarus: Uprising, Luigi's Mansion 2, Mario Kart 7, Paper Mario, Kingdom Hearts 3D (the closest thing to a real one we've seen since KH2), Super Smash Bros., a good amount of shovelware, and then some announced, but unclear games. The best looking titles are 1st party developed, which will surely interest developers more in the system as they see its success climb by year's end.

WaffleBlaster

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, it doesn't help that SM64DS kinda sucks.
It was good for what it was, a solid port of a 64 game and the headliner of the DS's launch. Beyond that it is nothing spectacular and it would've been great if they would've waited until the 3DS came out so they could have a version that actually improves on/brings something new to the source title except 3 new characters, a couple of tacked on bosses, and lackluster MP. It wasn't terrible by any means, but imagine it on the 3DS. Maybe in a few years.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
So the whole "rebuilding everything's models, then reversing them" thing is obviously just a week's worth of office work.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
^ Yeah it is. Any team can update graphics and I'd rather take additional features like an extra dungeon, bosses, items, side quests over updated graphics any day. You know...stuff that can add to the game. Good for them on adding Boss Rush mode, but that was the only true "new" thing.

Sariku

Smash Master
I thought it was already known that Theeboredone is the biggest critic/hater of the 3DS on the website. He's one of the people who will ***** about the simplicity of something because he thinks that it's trash without updates.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I dunno. I'd rather have not that much added than a bunch of crappy stuff added.
You don't think Nintendo would do a good job in that department? They always seem to come through with their AAA titles. Well then again, having the aiming gyroscope feature is pretty neat unless you want to use it with 3D, which renders it useless due to the small 3D "zone".

I thought it was already known that Theeboredone is the biggest critic/hater of the 3DS on the website. He's one of the people who will ***** about the simplicity of something because he thinks that it's trash without updates.
Sorry, I'm just not blind to the truth. 40 bucks for updated graphics and boss rush mode is lololol. So does a hater still plan on buying a 3DS? Guess I'm a hypocrite then.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
You don't think Nintendo would do a good job in that department? They always seem to come through with their AAA titles. Well then again, having the aiming gyroscope feature is pretty neat unless you want to use it with 3D, which renders it useless due to the small 3D "zone".

Sorry, I'm just not blind to the truth. 40 bucks for updated graphics and boss rush mode is lololol. So does a hater still plan on buying a 3DS? Guess I'm a hypocrite then.
Well, they didn't do a good job with it with SM64DS imo. The new characters made it more restricted and the extra stars were way lazier than the Green Stars in Galaxy 2 that some people complain about.

I'm saying, if they added a bunch of stuff like that to OoT, and it turned out lackluster like SM64, that would be a lot worse than what we actually got. I would never ever play SM64DS over SM64 unless I absolutely had to, but I would probably always pick OoT3DS over the original.

40 bucks for a game that people are willing to pay 40 bucks for isn't really all that ridiculous, honestly.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well it's all in the eye of the beholder. I don't want to call it emotions or nostalgia, but I don't let those kind of factors get in the way of me realizing when I feel like something is a rip off or not. I've made a lot of mistakes like that when I was younger and much more into gaming, and I regret every bit of it. Mainly because I feel really bad that I made my parents spend their money on games for me -_-.

So whenever I do end up buying games these days, I can wait it out and get it for half on craig's list.

In fact, recent craig's list posting had the 3DS + Zelda for 100 bucks.

OmegaXXII

Yup, I'm kind of the same, though I tend to buy most of my games in "like new" or new condition, I've bought a bunch of games in the past that seemed new and didn't know anything about; but in the end I actually liked
them.

I'm actually considering getting a 3DS with a couple of titles like Ace Attorney.

Top Bottom