• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NinjaLink's Zelda and Teleport Cancelling.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I don't think you need to hit the jump button. I've done it w/o using jump.

but lol, I've S/D'd many times when trying to use this .

Take one step to either side from the center of the kite-thing on FD, then FW to the ledge. Done.

goodkid

Smash Lord
Teleport Cancel is pretty awesome. Its actually very easy to do, you just have to find the reference points on the stage. I'm pretty sure this works on almost all stages. On Battlefield, just look for the cylinder shaped block in the middle of the stage. You can do any aerial from the tp. cancel & if you jump afterwards, it just does an attack above the ledge of the stage, but NinjaLink is right, jump isn't needed.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Luthien, I've been trying to do this for some time to explain a "glitch" that happened to another user. I was wondering if you had any luck...

Have you ever been able to ledgewarp from off the stage? Or from one platform to another?

Basically, any situation where the final stage goes from air -> ground instead of the other way around.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Luthien, I've been trying to do this for some time to explain a "glitch" that happened to another user. I was wondering if you had any luck...

Have you ever been able to ledgewarp from off the stage? Or from one platform to another?

Basically, any situation where the final stage goes from air -> ground instead of the other way around.
I have. I've done it like first week of the *** release. Thats when i realized it still can be done like in melee.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Hey Guys new Vids along with THE NEW BEST USE OF TELEPORT CANCEL EVER. ITS BEING USED TO EDGEGUARD.

Take a look. U'll know it when u see it.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
It's really impressive how comfortable you are with teleport cancel, even just your usage of Farore's. Is it a staple of your gameplay and do you think it's game changing or just a neat trick to pull off every once in a while?

edit: by the way, those matches vs. Rykoshet were amazing to watch. Refreshing to see another badass Zelda besides DM.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
It's really impressive how comfortable you are with teleport cancel, even just your usage of Farore's. Is it a staple of your gameplay and do you think it's game changing or just a neat trick to pull off every once in a while?

edit: by the way, those matches vs. Rykoshet were amazing to watch. Refreshing to see another badass Zelda besides DM.
I think its good to use. Theres no punish since its no lag. Only downside is if u mess up. Being i did this since melee i shouldnt have much of a problem.

Luthien

Smash Ace
I think its good to use. Theres no punish since its no lag. Only downside is if u mess up. Being i did this since melee i shouldnt have much of a problem.
Could you show me a video of teleport-cancelling in Melee? I've never seen it happen.

Also, I worship the way you recover. Teleporting straight down to grab the ledge... so good.

P.S. The teleport-cancel in the video against Ike worked because Ryko had to use QD to recover. Never use a teleport-cancel against Aether. Ever.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Well since I know you don't frequent these boards very often, i'm going to try to soak in all the knowledge I possibly can. I have a couple questions for you(NinjaLink):

1. Farore's on the stage, why do you do it? Strictly for mindgames?

2. Farore's stalling on the ledge? Why?

3. Zeldas spike. Obviously you showed the b-reverse Naryus spike, but is spiking something I should be risking with Zelda?(Yes I am good with Farore's)

4. Dash attack- should I be using this a lot more? I seen you use it quite a bit and I always thought it was rather unsafe. I know it has pretty good priority and knockback, but Zelda's just so slow on the ground and you have the danger of being shield-grabbed.

In that last video against Rykoshet, I was the most impressed by that nair gimp.............i've never seen that before. You ever think about repping Zelda in some tournaments?

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Could you show me a video of teleport-cancelling in Melee? I've never seen it happen.

Also, I worship the way you recover. Teleporting straight down to grab the ledge... so good.

P.S. The teleport-cancel in the video against Ike worked because Ryko had to use QD to recover. Never use a teleport-cancel against Aether. Ever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfF1WRoJIQ4 Strangely this guy fights the same way i do and it disturbs me >_<. He does TC(Tele-cancel) at the start of the match.

Have u tried against aether. It would actually hit his body and not clash i believe . As long as he doesnt sweetspot it.

Well since I know you don't frequent these boards very often, i'm going to try to soak in all the knowledge I possibly can. I have a couple questions for you(NinjaLink):

1. Farore's on the stage, why do you do it? Strictly for mindgames?

Either to teleport cancel or to keep them guessing especially for ppl who are expecting an approach.

2. Farore's stalling on the ledge? Why?

Its a pretty safe stall method.....somewhat. They can still edgehog u if they time it right. The reason why i use it is because if they stand to close to the ledge the explosion hits them.

3. Zeldas spike. Obviously you showed the b-reverse Naryus spike, but is spiking something I should be risking with Zelda?(Yes I am good with Farore's)

Not exactly risking but use it when u know it'll hits and just learn the sweetspot hitbox.

4. Dash attack- should I be using this a lot more? I seen you use it quite a bit and I always thought it was rather unsafe. I know it has pretty good priority and knockback, but Zelda's just so slow on the ground and you have the danger of being shield-grabbed.

I used it more than i should have. U should only use it to punish ikes fair when u block it WHEN UR CLOSE ENOUGH. Dont grab at all. He can fair and jab before u'll get the grab off. Only grab if ur already inside....which is rare.

In that last video against Rykoshet, I was the most impressed by that nair gimp.............i've never seen that before. You ever think about repping Zelda in some tournaments?

I would use her more but on the east coast where everyone wants to camp u, i dont feel like dealing with it. Zelda cannot deal with camping and zelda cant camp. I used to main zelda but ppl are lame with this game. Zelda deals with the same nonsense she did in melee.
Answers are in blue

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Seems this thread gets no play :-P
Put up more Zelda vids and it will:)

Teleport Cancelling is nice and flashy, but extremely situational. I've used it a couple times in friendlies since I watched your set vs. Rykoshet, but never in anything serious. I actually should use it more since it's mostly unpunishable, but I haven't learned the spacing for it except on FD.

I also agree with you now that Zelda gets camped like no other. Very hard to find decent approach options with her against the better part of the cast.

Alopex

Smash Ace
I think the main reason this thread gets no play is because, well... Ledge-Warping/Teleport Cancelling is dangerous.

A slight spacing error means a lost stock at any percent. And the rewards for pulling it off don't seem to make up for the risk.

Mastering Ledge-Warping from multiple points on the stage by using the different teleport distances would make for good mind games, and mastering Ledge-Warping from off the stage (above) would make for good surprise recoveries, but in the end, I think it's still just too risky. Especially the recovery one, since I think most players (don't know about you NL) use stage landmarks to know when the Ledge-Warp will be safe. You don't landmarks off the stage.

I played a lot with Ledge-Warping and tried incorporating it more, but I gave up on it. It just wasn't doing it for me.

I saw a lot of edge-guarding potential for it due to the surprise factor: you're in center stage, opponent is less cautious with recovery since they think they're safe, Ledge-Warping lets you quickly close the distance and be immediately off the stage upon arrival, catching them offguard.
But the gamble just didn't seem worth it too me when my other edge-guarding strategies were getting the job done in much safer ways.

I dunno. Maybe it's just me. You're a better Zelda than I am, NL... have you successfully used Ledge-Warping in a tournament? Would you attempt to?

I mean, if you've had consistently good results from Ledge-Warping and it's been a real asset to your game, then I'll definitely give more thought to going back to training it more.

--------------------------------------

Also, yeah, we need MOAR videos. More videos, more talk! I think the board is in perfect agreement that you're one of the best Zeldas here, so we want to see more so we can learn more.

Once that happens, you're guaranteed to get lots of talk. We're cravin' more vids, man. You'll see.

Now, I have to say OMG to you Marsulas. Because it's too true. In fact, now that I know I'm not the only one who's noticed this, I'm going to be putting up some of my videos, that way everyone can see just how EXTREME it is that Zelda gets camped...

Gracious, people are so afraid to approach me (with good reason) that they just hang back and camp me. So they don't approach me and I can't approach them. And because I've gotten very good ad dodging projectiles (after sooo many matches against Pit...), it's not like I get pressured to approach them anyway. It's safer to hang back just out of their attack range than to go for it. And they hang back just out of MY attack range, so... yeah...

It's extremely frustrating and makes for very boring matches. I have no doubt that you will all fall asleep as you watch my videos.... I almost did...
There's just nothing happening because they won't approach because I'm Zelda, and I can't approach because... I'm Zelda.

Din's just doesn't cut it after a few matches. It's a good projectile, but it's so easily avoided after a bit of practice, and our ending lag means we can't punish anything after it anyway...

I'm not a fan that the matches I have are so boring when I use Zelda... and even though I definitely do best with her (plus she's awesome), I don't think I can continue if so many of my matches with her end up in stare-fests.

Even if I win, matches are still tedious and... this game shouldn't be tedious.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
I think the main reason this thread gets no play is because, well... Ledge-Warping/Teleport Cancelling is dangerous.

A slight spacing error means a lost stock at any percent. And the rewards for pulling it off don't seem to make up for the risk.

Mastering Ledge-Warping from multiple points on the stage by using the different teleport distances would make for good mind games, and mastering Ledge-Warping from off the stage (above) would make for good surprise recoveries, but in the end, I think it's still just too risky. Especially the recovery one, since I think most players (don't know about you NL) use stage landmarks to know when the Ledge-Warp will be safe. You don't landmarks off the stage.

I played a lot with Ledge-Warping and tried incorporating it more, but I gave up on it. It just wasn't doing it for me.

I saw a lot of edge-guarding potential for it due to the surprise factor: you're in center stage, opponent is less cautious with recovery since they think they're safe, Ledge-Warping lets you quickly close the distance and be immediately off the stage upon arrival, catching them offguard.
But the gamble just didn't seem worth it too me when my other edge-guarding strategies were getting the job done in much safer ways.

I dunno. Maybe it's just me. You're a better Zelda than I am, NL... have you successfully used Ledge-Warping in a tournament? Would you attempt to?

I mean, if you've had consistently good results from Ledge-Warping and it's been a real asset to your game, then I'll definitely give more thought to going back to training it more.

Also, yeah, we need MOAR videos. More videos, more talk! I think the board is in perfect agreement that you're one of the best Zeldas here, so we want to see more so we can learn more.

Once that happens, you're guaranteed to get lots of talk. We're cravin' more vids, man. You'll see.

Now, I have to say OMG to you Marsulas. Because it's too true. In fact, now that I know I'm not the only one who's noticed this, I'm going to be putting up some of my videos, that way everyone can see just how EXTREME it is that Zelda gets camped...

Gracious, people are so afraid to approach me (with good reason) that they just hang back and camp me. So they don't approach me and I can't approach them. And because I've gotten very good ad dodging projectiles (after sooo many matches against Pit...), it's not like I get pressured to approach them anyway. It's safer to hang back just out of their attack range than to go for it. And they hang back just out of MY attack range, so... yeah...

It's extremely frustrating and makes for very boring matches. I have no doubt that you will all fall asleep as you watch my videos.... I almost did...
There's just nothing happening because they won't approach because I'm Zelda, and I can't approach because... I'm Zelda.

Din's just doesn't cut it after a few matches. It's a good projectile, but it's so easily avoided after a bit of practice, and our ending lag means we can't punish anything after it anyway...

I'm not a fan that the matches I have are so boring when I use Zelda... and even though I definitely do best with her (plus she's awesome), I don't think I can continue if so many of my matches with her end up in stare-fests.

Even if I win, matches are still tedious and... this game shouldn't be tedious.
Yea i mention this to marsulas. I dont use zelda much because of campers. Boring boring campers. Oh and yes i do teleport cancelling consistently.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
All Zeldas should learn sheik too... sheik doesn't get camped easily at all, and that REALLY helps deal with certain charcters.

As for teleport cancelling, Alopex mirrors my opinion dead on... in fact I think EVERYTHING he said was right.

Alopex

Smash Ace
I do play a lot of Sheik and she is a lot of fun. I'd say she's one of my secondaries. Definitely not strong enough yet to be one of my mains, but she's getting there.

Out of curiosity though, which characters do you normally tackle with your Sheik rather than with your Zelda, Hedgedawg?

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I do play a lot of Sheik and she is a lot of fun. I'd say she's one of my secondaries. Definitely not strong enough yet to be one of my mains, but she's getting there.

Out of curiosity though, which characters do you normally tackle with your Sheik rather than with your Zelda, Hedgedawg?
all space animals, both fire emblemers, the earthbounders (lucas really. ness I prefer Zelda), ganondorf and captain falcon, pit, ivysaur, olimar... I'm sure I'm forgetting some and there are MORE eI go dual against.

there are few that see straight zeldas.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
ew, I don't like campers wtih her. Haven't really been camped too harsh yet though. lol

Yeah, ledge cancelling is pretty fun. I like how that Snake death kick vid is the best one EVER. That just happens to be the first one I saw of you in the other thread way back when and blew my mind haha

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I go straight Zelda vs. Jiggs, Peach, Kirby, Icies, Luigi, and Pika.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
*nods head*

also against DDD and sometimes falco.
Oh yeah thank you I forgot DDD.

I go straight Sheik vs. Falco. The chaingrab isn't that big of a deal to me, I can make all of that percentage up and more with one ftilt.

Sheik deals with his camping far easier than Zelda could ever hope too.

I **** him off the stage.

Zelda on the other hand has to deal with all of the camping and I really don't feel like putting up with it.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
oh now that I think about it. I go sheik and zelda against falco.... but Diddy I don't use much sheik for.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
oh now that I think about it. I go sheik and zelda against falco.... but Diddy I don't use much sheik for.
Really? I go StZ against Diddy. More manueverability around Bananas and you can get some easy gimps. Once he gets around 100% I downb and rinse and repeat.

Sheik does have more trouble against Diddy in terms of priority and range, it's just a matter of personal preference.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Really? I go StZ against Diddy. More manueverability around Bananas and you can get some easy gimps. Once he gets around 100% I downb and rinse and repeat.

Sheik does have more trouble against Diddy in terms of priority and range, it's just a matter of personal preference.
I play banana games right back with zelda normally.

and I find zelda edgeguards really well against diddy.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Yea zeldas glidetoss is useful. Btw im in teh process of uploading more vids. Expect some more soon ppl. Stay tuned.

Villi

Smash Lord
Good shows, really fun to watch. That Yoshi's Island thing where you missed the ledge and got saved by the ghost thing was awesome.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I only watched the first video, so i'll watch the others and comment later on tonight.

One interesting thing you do that really stands out to me is spotdodge to Naryus. Like most Zeldas i'm always spotdodging to dsmash. Looking at that though, might even be more effective than the dsmash because of the invincibility frames on Naryus. Not to mention it comes out almost as quick.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
I recorded more vids today. Against MK Yoshi and Peach. GOD PEACH IS SOOOOO GAAAAYYYYY!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom