• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Samus Harang

Smash Cadet
we already have a general lack of good casual stages
I think the main issue is that the stages in this game generally fall into two extremes: Stages that more or less try to keep a competitive, symmetrical layout even if the stage can't be legal for one reason or another and stages which are gigantic amusement parks with a lot going on but require you to chase your opponent and sometimes fight the stage itself at the same time.

What the game lacks are stages which hit the sweet spot between them. If you look at Slap City, which has more stages overall which helps granted, there are a lot of stages that are medium sized with uneven elevations in their terrain. They feel more like real places you just happen to be fighting in without going overboard on spectacle for the sake of having spectacle.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I think RWC was that before this patch, actually. All the more reason to hope this is only temporary and they're working on a Harmonic Convergence which makes sense looking shorter.
I dunno, I feel like RWC before was just both sides of the spectrum mashed together, i.e. an extremely plain layout with a super annoying and unpredictable stage hazard. If anything, I'm glad they ditched the gravestones and are letting it just be this game's FD and I hope they can do something to make Convergence a little more unique without just slapping a lame hazard on it.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Now Avatar has none and TMNT has two, that's my problem
Why does equal representation matter in a competitive stagelist? And why is it so important for Avatar specifically to have a competitive stage? Plus Sewer has been tourney legal since launch anyway, it just hasn't applied to the in-game competitive ruleset option until now. The Royal Woods change wasn't made around aesthetics, it was made around stage size.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Not to be that guy but technically Avatar never had one, Legend of Korra did
It's the Avatar franchise. I don't consider them different because they're clearly connected, Korra's just like Yoshi, DK, and Wario are to Mario.

Why does equal representation matter in a competitive stagelist? And why is it so important for Avatar specifically to have a competitive stage? Plus Sewer has been tourney legal since launch anyway, it just hasn't applied to the in-game competitive ruleset option until now. The Royal Woods change wasn't made around aesthetics, it was made around stage size.
Bruh they literally said they wanted to have each one be different since it gives better themed variety. And it doesn't need one, even if Avatar is one of the most important series they've ever produced, I just want them to have one since Avatar is my favorite fictional franchise of all time. Why do you always have to be a contrarian to everything I say?

Last edited:

Baysha

Smash Ace
Just got back from a weekend trip so I gotta catch up with all the happenings in the thread, but I gotta say, damn...

It's crazy being right.
You just missed the surprise reveal of the new singular one-slot fighter with no s, Norbert and Dagget as a duo.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Sooo... any theories about why Tommy and Angelica are absent? I had 2 theories of my own, but immediately disproved them
  1. Tommy is too small or has too short limbs to ride a bike - GIR is back, and he's smaller + stubbier
  2. They don't want a character wearing a dress while on a bike - there are other characters wearing dresses and the characters sit upright on bikes
My best guess, if not my earlier VA theory (which I have a bit of doubt in, since they still got Chuckie who is voiced by Bart Simpson) is that they wanted to cut down on 1990s content in response to NASB's backlash, but even that doesn't make sense to me given Rugrats went on into 2004 and has a reboot on TV currently, a significant number of the new characters are from the 90s, and even then it doesn't explain why Chuckie and Reptar returned without Tommy and Angelica.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Jojo, Purple Reptar, and the Kamp Koral versions of SpongeBob and Pat are complete wastes. I realize the latter two and Squidina were probably forced by Nick execs, but there's no excuse to cut legacy picks like Tommy and Angelica for a palette swap and a real-life actor who openly criticizes the company (also just noting that Jojo Siwa doesn't even remotely look like that anymore).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So they cut some unique characters and replaced them with versions of characters we already have? Talk about channeling Mario kart

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Tommy and Angelica of all characters getting cut but putting in a Reptar recolor and baby versions of Spongebob and Patrick, and keeping an actress who has all but severed ties with Nick, I don't even have words for it, it's genuinely ridiculous.

Way to trip at the finish line.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It'd be easier for me to believe their VAs had issues if EG Daily and Cheryl Chase's filmographies didn't scream "We don't do much nowadays except for voicing Tommy and Angelica"

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Out of all the DLC characters, Rocko is the first that is really not vibing with me, unfortunately. I've been getting most of my money's worth by playing against the Rocko CPU, which is pretty fun.

I do love the jackhammer though; a projectile that's absurdly good at controlling space and applying pressure at the cost of similarly restricting your own options because it hits you also is a super creative dynamic that is unlike anything I've seen in the platform fighter space.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
Sooo... any theories about why Tommy and Angelica are absent? I had 2 theories of my own, but immediately disproved them
  1. Tommy is too small or has too short limbs to ride a bike - GIR is back, and he's smaller + stubbier
  2. They don't want a character wearing a dress while on a bike - there are other characters wearing dresses and the characters sit upright on bikes
If bikes are the reason some characters got cut, then I wished they didn't add bikes at all.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I wonder if Jojo will voice herself in the kart racing games. Considering how she cut ties with Nick I wouldn't even be shocked f someone else did similar to Lebron James in Multiversus who is not voiced by him.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So...I check up on NKR3 news after a hiatus and find out that alongside Squidina, they do the closest thing to aping MK's use of babies with KK Spongebob and Patrick. Are we sure that no one at Bamtang is smoking anything?

That said, I haven't noticed physical copies for that game yet.

Also, nice to see wild takes for Rocko being weaponized.

Samus Harang

Smash Cadet
Not to say it isn't a bad look for the developers, but I don't really think that palette swaps like Monochrome Raphael or Purple Reptar take the place of full characters. If Rugrats were going to be missing for some reason they were going to be missing either way.

The game probably just lacks color change functionality so they get full slots instead as a substitute. Only annoying thing about this is that you will probably see two versions of the same character on the track at the same time even in CPU races when this could be programmed not to happen, SpongeBob clones included,

Speaking of, KK Sandy is cute and should have probably been in over Squidina.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So...I check up on NKR3 news after a hiatus and find out that alongside Squidina, they do the closest thing to aping MK's use of babies with KK Spongebob and Patrick. Are we sure that no one at Bamtang is smoking anything?

That said, I haven't noticed physical copies for that game yet.

Also, nice to see wild takes for Rocko being weaponized.
smoking? no. snorting? yes.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Not to say it isn't a bad look for the developers, but I don't really think that palette swaps like Monochrome Raphael or Purple Reptar take the place of full characters. If Rugrats were going to be missing for some reason they were going to be missing either way.

The game probably just lacks color change functionality so they get full slots instead as a substitute. Only annoying thing about this is that you will probably see two versions of the same character on the track at the same time even in CPU races when this could be programmed not to happen, SpongeBob clones included,

Speaking of, KK Sandy is cute and should have probably been in over Squidina.
I'll be honest - I'd rather not have alternate costumes at all and have less characters than have recolors and alternate costumes as " more characters!"

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
If "includes 40 racers!" wasn't the first concrete thing we knew about this game I don't think anyone would be complaining about the clones, at least not this much. The missing 4's absence is almost certainly not directly related to the clones. (for one, there's only 3 clones within the 40 base characters)

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I take it you're not fond of echo fighters either?
Echo fighters are fine. They're completely different characters generally speaking. I wish they'd be more unique but at least they aren't an actual, literal palette swap given its own slot. And they're also more forgivable in a fighting game, but in a racing game where there is less work to do, palette and costume swaps come off as lazy.

There's also the company political reason that these ones specifically bug me, considering two of the four swaps come from shows that blatantly disrespect the wishes of SpongeBob's creator.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
There's also the company political reason that these ones specifically bug me, considering two of the four swaps come from shows that blatantly disrespect the wishes of SpongeBob's creator.
Oh my god, people actually still believe that BS? Stephen signed off on Kamp Koral - and even if he didn't, it's common knowledge in the animation space that studios can do whatever the hell they want with your creations. It's not exactly a good rule, but it's also something everybody knows - they would not have needed to "wait" for Stephen's death.

Anyway, if you've got a problem with studios disrespecting dead creators, you should also be taking aim at whatever the hell WB are doing with the old Hanna-Barbera cartoons. I wouldn't call these disrespectful either, but they certainly show a lot less regard for the "sanctity" of their source material than the SpongeBob spin-offs.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Oh my god, people actually still believe that BS? Stephen signed off on Kamp Koral - and even if he didn't, it's common knowledge in the animation space that studios can do whatever the hell they want with your creations. It's not exactly a good rule, but it's also something everybody knows - they would not have needed to "wait" for Stephen's death.

Anyway, if you've got a problem with studios disrespecting dead creators, you should also be taking aim at whatever the hell WB are doing with the old Hanna-Barbera cartoons. I wouldn't call these disrespectful either, but they certainly show a lot less regard for the "sanctity" of their source material than the SpongeBob spin-offs.
I 100% do have problems with those, especially the Velma series (speaking as a lifelong Scooby fan). And whether he signed off or not is 100% relevant when we still have it on record, via interview, that Stephen didn't want spinoffs in the first place. It's highly likely that Nickelodeon just twisted his arm with Kamp Koral.

https://tbivision.com/2009/10/27/spongebob-squarepants-creator-steve-hillenburg/

"Patrick himself would be a little too much" and yet they did exactly that.

Don't believe everything that comes from corporate PR. Companies love to lie.

Last edited:
Top Bottom