• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
With a third Avatar rep, I’m gonna make a prediction: we will get two more batches of reveals.

One will obviously be all the avatar stuff. The others theme will be 90s. Ren and Stimpy will be there, so to me the question is what other 90s picks are there to go with?

Obviously Rocko is one of them. Not guessing Rocko is a bad idea. He even got a revival movie ,Nick loves him. The viable 90s toons to pull from bedsides Rocko would be Beavers, Rocket Power, Kablam, or double dipping on another nicktoon.

I know a lot of people might be disappointed by this. Many people might want more early 2000s stuff instead of more 90s stuff. But at the end of the day, don’t lose hope. The game was said by euro steam to have in app purchases, so we could easily see DLC. Maybe then Timmy, Jimmy, and Jenny can all make it in.
I get why Avatar characters would all be revealed together, but there’s really no theme to who they reveal. CatDog and April have practically nothing in common besides the fact that they were revealed the same day

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Seeing the Dag and Norb movesets reminded me that I never posted my Squidward Moveset here lol. For those who've seen it before, I've added a taunt and winning and losing animations, now that they're confirmed.

Light Attack: Interrogation Slap - Squidward gives the opponent a hearty slap with his tentacle. References "Krab Borg!"
Light Up Attack: Squidward en Repose - Squidward hoists the titular sculpture skyward, hitting the foe with it. References "Artist Unknown."
Light Down Attack: Tentacle Sweep - Squidward crouches down and does a sweeping kick with two of his tentacles.
Light Air Attack: Aerial Relaxation - Squidward kicks his tentacles forward in a fully reclined position, arms resting crossed beneath his head.
Light Up Air Attack: Conductor Baton - Squidward waves his conductor baton above him in an arc. References "Band Geeks."
Light Down Air Attack: Squidward swings his paint brush in a downward arc beneath him, leaving behind a paint trail.
Light Dash Attack: Recumbent Bike - Squidward quickly gets on his bicycle and rams into the opponent. References "The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie."

Strong Attack: On The House - Squidward reels back and lobs a pizza box into the opponent's face. References "Pizza Delivery."
Strong Up Attack: Squidward takes Bold and Brash with two hands and swings it upward in an arc. References "Artist Unknown."
Strong Down Attack: Sweet Victory - Squidward thrusts his arms into the air as two pyrotechnic plumes appear on either side of him, launching anyone caught in the blast. References "Band Geeks."
Strong Air Attack: The Incomparable Squidward - Squidward does an interpretive dance and stretches all six tentacles out in a wiggly, circular pattern. References "Culture Shock."
Strong Up Air Attack: Squidward thrusts one of his many alarm clocks above his head, smashing it into the opponent as it breaks apart. References "Employee of the Month."
Strong Down Air Attack: Furious Stomp - Squidward's anger reaches a boiling point as he repeatedly stomps his feet beneath him in the air.
Strong Dash Attack: Handsome Squidward - Squidward becomes Handsome Squidward and rushes forward after tripping, twirling and slamming into the foe before reverting back. References "The Two Faces of Squidward."

Neutral Special: Clarinet Solo - Squidward launches a stream of three music notes out of his clarinet that damage the opponent on contact. His playing is literally painful.
Up Special: Reef Blower Launch - Squidward launches himself into the air using his reef blower. References "Squidville."
Down Special: Marble Sculpture - Squidward summons a giant marble slab and strikes it with his chisel, causing it to violently disintegrate. A strong attack similar to Charizard's Rock Smash prior to Ultimate. References "Artist Unknown."

Home Stage: The Krusty Krab

Taunt: Squidward smirks and pulls out a can of Canned Bread, waving it in the opponent's face before tucking it away. References "Squidville."

Winning Animation: Squidward does a few dance poses before leaping into the air cheering, referencing the ending of "Band Geeks."

Losing Animation: Squidward does a series of pained sit-ups, with his hands by his head. References the "Future...Future..." portion of "SB-129."

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Considering that the last reveal batch had no theme I don't expect the next batches of reveals to have a connecting theme.
Yeah, I fully expect this myself. At best, only the two Avatar characters we know of would be paired up, and it'd be a coincidence even then since they'd most likely run out of pre-launch characters to introduce.

Seeing the Dag and Norb movesets reminded me that I never posted my Squidward Moveset here lol. For those who've seen it before, I've added a taunt and winning and losing animations, now that they're confirmed.

Light Attack: Interrogation Slap - Squidward gives the opponent a hearty slap with his tentacle. References "Krab Borg!"
Light Up Attack: Squidward en Repose - Squidward hoists the titular sculpture skyward, hitting the foe with it. References "Artist Unknown."
Light Down Attack: Tentacle Sweep - Squidward crouches down and does a sweeping kick with two of his tentacles.
Light Air Attack: Aerial Relaxation - Squidward kicks his tentacles forward in a fully reclined position, arms resting crossed beneath his head.
Light Up Air Attack: Conductor Baton - Squidward waves his conductor baton above him in an arc. References "Band Geeks."
Light Down Air Attack: Squidward swings his paint brush in a downward arc beneath him, leaving behind a paint trail.
Light Dash Attack: Recumbent Bike - Squidward quickly gets on his bicycle and rams into the opponent. References "The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie."

Strong Attack: On The House - Squidward reels back and lobs a pizza box into the opponent's face. References "Pizza Delivery."
Strong Up Attack: Squidward takes Bold and Brash with two hands and swings it upward in an arc. References "Artist Unknown."
Strong Down Attack: Sweet Victory - Squidward thrusts his arms into the air as two pyrotechnic plumes appear on either side of him, launching anyone caught in the blast. References "Band Geeks."
Strong Air Attack: The Incomparable Squidward - Squidward does an interpretive dance and stretches all six tentacles out in a wiggly, circular pattern. References "Culture Shock."
Strong Up Air Attack: Squidward thrusts one of his many alarm clocks above his head, smashing it into the opponent as it breaks apart. References "Employee of the Month."
Strong Down Air Attack: Furious Stomp - Squidward's anger reaches a boiling point as he repeatedly stomps his feet beneath him in the air.
Strong Dash Attack: Handsome Squidward - Squidward becomes Handsome Squidward and rushes forward after tripping, twirling and slamming into the foe before reverting back. References "The Two Faces of Squidward."

Neutral Special: Clarinet Solo - Squidward launches a stream of three music notes out of his clarinet that damage the opponent on contact. His playing is literally painful.
Up Special: Reef Blower Launch - Squidward launches himself into the air using his reef blower. References "Squidville."
Down Special: Marble Sculpture - Squidward summons a giant marble slab and strikes it with his chisel, causing it to violently disintegrate. A strong attack similar to Charizard's Rock Smash prior to Ultimate. References "Artist Unknown."

Home Stage: The Krusty Krab

Taunt: Squidward smirks and pulls out a can of Canned Bread, waving it in the opponent's face before tucking it away. References "Squidville."

Winning Animation: Squidward does a few dance poses before leaping into the air cheering, referencing the ending of "Band Geeks."

Losing Animation: Squidward does a series of pained sit-ups, with his hands by his head. References the "Future...Future..." portion of "SB-129."
It feels like LimeTH LimeTH should draw this.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Sad that this is accurate:
voice.png

(I've seen lots of YouTube comments saying about no voicing)

Comment section in a nutshell:
  • Why can't they just re-use old clips?
  • Animations look stiff.
  • They're just copying Smash.
  • They're not copying Smash enough.
  • Bad music.
  • Bad graphics.
  • Where's [my favorite character from a half-season, black and white cartoon I saw at grandma's 50 years ago]?
  • Shovelware. Bargain bin.
  • I'll wait until it's on sale.
  • We demand Jimmy and Timmy as well Jenny
  • 4 turtles please

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't have a full moveset for The Flesh fleshed out, but I do have some ideas:

Intro: Dropped off in the Action-Mobile.

Mid Special: Stinky Diver: The former Navy commander with an attitude as bad as his odor fires his spear gun, acting like Scorpion's GET OVER HERE.
Low Special: Meltman: He uses his power to...MELLLLT!, acting like Diddy's bananas.
High Special: Thunder Girl: She flies like thunder to help The Flesh recover. You can stay in the air for a while, but TG will crash into a light or birdhouse if you stay in the air for too long.

Strong Attacks: Have him obliviously do things like lift weights or swing tools around, referencing, well, just how oblivious he is about his own strength and in general.

Taunt: Relaxes in the same manner he does when the intro calls him super naked.
Victory: Gets a ribbon pinned on him by the Chief, who gets smacked away by The Flesh lifting his arms up in celebration.
Defeat: Lays on the floor in a pile of bits

Misc: His airdash animations look like he's being thrown, referencing Action League Now's "chuckimation".

amageish

Smash Master
I always find people calling things shovelware tiresome as that word does have a specific and very useful definition, but most people use it just to mean "Any game I do not have interest in that has a budget smaller then a AAA title." It's especially depressing when a game being made by an indie studio that is clearly putting in a lot of effort and passion is given the reception one would expect from a poorly-optimized iOS port.

Something something Avatar being the Fire Emblem of NASB.
I think I have seen basically every franchise with more then 2 fighters be compared to Fire Emblem by someone at this point - SpongeBob, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, The Loud House, and Avatar... I haven't seen anyone give the label to Ren and Stimpy yet, but I bet someone will bust out the FE comparison if Ren and Stimpy end up being separate and therefore the game gets three slots.

It is kind of funny, as I don't think any of them really work as comparisons. SpongeBob is one of the most famous children's shows in the world, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is the biggest IP in the game if we're sorting based on what IP has pulled in the most money, The Loud House is the biggest modern show (and, by extension, the biggest modern show that people generally expect to be good, as modern SpongeBob can be, er, an experience), and Avatar is literally considered one of the best TV shows of all time.

These are all... pretty big IPs worthy of content in the game, but I guess Nicktoons will always be biased by age groups more then video games are, so people are more likely to just dislike the modern picks. I've seen a lot of "Every Ninja-Turtle/Loud-Sibling/Bender will play the same" hot takes, which... doesn't exactly exhibit deep knowledge of the IPs.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If TV Tropes is any indication, The Loud House is instead seen as the :ultzelda:, while TMNT is Wolverine publicity.

Hell, just look at this here:

Also, there's a good reason why I ignore the user that's being replied to.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
If TV Tropes is any indication, The Loud House is instead seen as the :ultzelda:, while TMNT is Wolverine publicity.

That art is funny, as Lincoln is done up as Link from Zelda while Lucy is done up as "Marth" from Fire Emblem. I guess the artists were split on the issue as well!

In reality, I don't think any comparison will work perfectly. The games industry and the cartoon industry are two very different things with different expectations that effect their fandoms. Notably, video game franchises are expected to continually get new content and for that new content to be good, while cartoons are usually infamous for overstaying their welcome.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
View attachment 329976

Comment section in a nutshell:
  • Why can't they just re-use old clips?
  • Animations look stiff.
  • They're just copying Smash.
  • They're not copying Smash enough.
  • Bad music.
  • Bad graphics.
  • Where's [my favorite character from a half-season, black and white cartoon I saw at grandma's 50 years ago]?
  • I'll wait until it's on sale.
  • We demand Jimmy and Timmy as well Jenny
  • 4 turtles please
On the other hand, it seems like a lot of competitive smash players are praising it for its deep and dynamic gameplay and its interesting additions to the platform fighter genre. So, I am glad that the creators are seemingly reaching one of teir goals about creatinga competitive game.

That is so cool. I love that there are also Nick Jr. characters in there. If anything, I am hoping that we get some DLC nick jr. representation.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I've seen a lot of "Every Ninja-Turtle/Loud-Sibling/Bender will play the same" hot takes, which... doesn't exactly exhibit deep knowledge of the IPs.
And now you know why I made those Beaver movesets. People seem to think just because multiple characters come from the same IP, then they must be interchangeable clones of each other, just because Fire Emblem did it in Smash. This of course ignoring the fact that it's not even remotely accurate to the FE characters either. Lucina, Chrom, Roy and even Ike don't fight anything like they should.

Like, if you don't have any experience with the characters or their source, why are you acting like an authority on them over baseless assumptions?

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
On the other hand, it seems like a lot of competitive smash players are praising it for its deep and dynamic gameplay and its interesting additions to the platform fighter genre. So, I am glad that the creators are seemingly reaching one of teir goals about creatinga competitive game.

That is so cool. I love that there are also Nick Jr. characters in there. If anything, I am hoping that we get some DLC nick jr. representation.
You mean that exploring girl and her blue monkey as a fighter which is only for toddlers and babies.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
View attachment 329976
I've seen these "no voice acting" complaints on like 90% of comments both on Youtube and Twitter. Heck, I even saw one person on Twitter claim that not only was the lack of voice-acting a deal-breaker, but also that the devs should've used the majority of the budget on getting voice-actors for the game...completely ignoring how that could've negatively affected the gameplay.

And frankly, I'm starting to get really annoyed by people constantly bringing this up; like, yeah, no voice-acting (even just grunts) is a bit of a bummer, but I honestly feel people are REALLY overblowing this issue, treating it like it's a major aspect of the game.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I've seen these "no voice acting" complaints on like 90% of comments both on Youtube and Twitter. Heck, I even saw one person on Twitter claim that not only was the lack of voice-acting a deal-breaker, but also that the devs should've used the majority of the budget on getting voice-actors for the game...completely ignoring how that could've negatively affected the gameplay.

And frankly, I'm starting to get really annoyed by people constantly bringing this up; like, yeah, no voice-acting (even just grunts) is a bit of a bummer, but I honestly feel people are REALLY overblowing this issue, treating it like it's a major aspect of the game.
To be fair we love these characters and a big part of that is their voice acting so I completely get it, it's just a shame the low budget prevents it

dlewis53

Smash Lord
To be fair we love these characters and a big part of that is their voice acting so I completely get it, it's just a shame the low budget prevents it
Thing is, even if voice-acting WERE in the game, I'd imagine it would mainly be grunts and whatnot with few actual voiced lines.

And like I said, people seem to be treating this as a bigger issue than it actually is (just look at that one person's incredibly bad take I mentioned), especially since the animations for the characters show off their personalities perfectly fine.

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
I doubt I need to say this to anyone here since all the bog~standard complaints have been defused long before in this thread
but it’s important to note this game is still a licensed game. It’s a genuine miracle the developers have been able to go as far as they have, and any limitations like the lack of character voices/remixes are way outta their hands.
Smash being the first and most mainstream platform fighter has utterly crippled the capability for this genre to be appreciated, I think. Especially considering Smash being made in~house of Nintendo is not comparable to this game being, at the end of the day, ancillary of Nick.
The best we can do is support the developers for being so transparent and devoted and such.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Thing is, even if voice-acting WERE in the game, I'd imagine it would mainly be grunts and whatnot with few actual voiced lines.

And like I said, people seem to be treating this as a bigger issue than it actually is (just look at that one person's incredibly bad take I mentioned), especially since the animations for the characters show off their personalities perfectly fine.
The few voice lines do help though, like, we literally have Smash as a comparison, it also improves the gameplay as moves can feel so much better to land. I agree that the take is bad, especially as the budget probably has less cash than the paychecks for the actors, but it's still a legitimate complaint

dlewis53

Smash Lord
The few voice lines do help though, like, we literally have Smash as a comparison, it also improves the gameplay as moves can feel so much better to land. I agree that the take is bad, especially as the budget probably has less cash than the paychecks for the actors, but it's still a legitimate complaint
Except as others have pointed out, Smash is not only made by Nintendo themselves, but also generally has the budget to support voice-acting like that.

All-Star Brawl, on the other hand, was basically commissioned for Ludosity and Fair Play Games by Nickelodeon, and it's been made clear that Nick wasn't expecting much from this game at first. So yeah, I can fully understand why there's no voice-acting, and I'm not saying it's not an issue with the game; I'm saying it's an issue that's starting to feel overblown by a lot of people on both Twitter and Youtube.

We didn't get one on Saturday last week, seems it's just 2 a week
The marketing team is never consistent. Ever. For all we know they'll drop one today because they felt like it.

I doubt I need to say this to anyone here since all the bog~standard complaints have been defused long before in this thread
but it’s important to note this game is still a licensed game. It’s a genuine miracle the developers have been able to go as far as they have, and any limitations like the lack of character voices/remixes are way outta their hands.
Smash being the first and most mainstream platform fighter has utterly crippled the capability for this genre to be appreciated, I think. Especially considering Smash being made in~house of Nintendo is not comparable to this game being, at the end of the day, ancillary of Nick.
The best we can do is support the developers for being so transparent and devoted and such.
Absolutely! Smash has spoiled the **** out of people and it shows.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Except as others have pointed out, Smash is not only made by Nintendo themselves, but also generally has the budget to support voice-acting like that.

All-Star Brawl, on the other hand, was basically commissioned for Ludosity and Fair Play Games by Nickelodeon, and it's been made clear that Nick wasn't expecting much from this game at first. So yeah, I can fully understand why there's no voice-acting, and I'm not saying it's not an issue with the game; I'm saying it's an issue that's starting to feel overblown by a lot of people on both Twitter and Youtube.
I used Smash as the example because, y'know, platform fighter, but that point applies to literally every fighting game as voice acting is expected these days. I still think if people think it's a dealbreaker then we should let them feel that way, especially if we already have people who like causing drama in this very thread

dlewis53

Smash Lord
I used Smash as the example because, y'know, platform fighter, but that point applies to literally every fighting game as voice acting is expected these days. I still think if people think it's a dealbreaker then we should let them feel that way, especially if we already have people who like causing drama in this very thread
I guess it's just that to me, it feels like a lot of people don't really care about how fun the gameplay looks or how well-done the animations are; all that matters is voice-acting (or lack thereof in this case), which feels backwards to me when it comes to a game like this. You'd think the most important aspect would be how the game actually plays, hence why I brought up that one take from Twitter earlier.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I guess it's just that to me, it feels like a lot of people don't really care about how fun the gameplay looks or how well-done the animations are; all that matters is voice-acting (or lack thereof in this case), which feels backwards to me when it comes to a game like this. You'd think the most important aspect would be how the game actually plays.
Again, voice acting is a standard for the entire fighting game genre and has been for a while, the gameplay obviously matters but the selling point is "Heya kids it's all those characters from the things you like" just like Smash

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That art is funny, as Lincoln is done up as Link from Zelda while Lucy is done up as "Marth" from Fire Emblem. I guess the artists were split on the issue as well!

In reality, I don't think any comparison will work perfectly. The games industry and the cartoon industry are two very different things with different expectations that effect their fandoms. Notably, video game franchises are expected to continually get new content and for that new content to be good, while cartoons are usually infamous for overstaying their welcome.
Exactly. This is all a case of comparing apples and oranges, when people keep trying to see both as tomatoes.

Again, voice acting is a standard for the entire fighting game genre and has been for a while, the gameplay obviously matters but the selling point is "Heya kids it's all those characters from the things you like" just like Smash
I think the main thing is that no voices is something that people can let slide for 2D games like Rivals of Aether, seeing as 2D games in general have been around for far longer, even when Bernie Stolar "tried" to make them obsolete.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Exactly. This is all a case of comparing apples and oranges, when people keep trying to see both as tomatoes.

I think the main thing is that no voices is something that people can let slide for 2D games like Rivals of Aether, seeing as 2D games in general have been around for far longer, even when Bernie Stolar "tried" to make them obsolete.
Ah I getcha, though I think that Rivals being fully original instead of beloved characterd was the main thing, not that it was 2D

amageish

Smash Master
And now you know why I made those Beaver movesets. People seem to think just because multiple characters come from the same IP, then they must be interchangeable clones of each other, just because Fire Emblem did it in Smash. This of course ignoring the fact that it's not even remotely accurate to the FE characters either. Lucina, Chrom, Roy and even Ike don't fight anything like they should.

Like, if you don't have any experience with the characters or their source, why are you acting like an authority on them over baseless assumptions?
People want series that they are familiar with and I guess there's just a lot of concern about IPs hogging "too many" slots... but, yes, it is very funny how it sometimes grounded in the language of "I want diversity in the roster," whether because of perceived lack of moveset potential or just a general sense of sameiness to the outsider.

I find the diversity language especially funny with people arguing against Korra. "Hey, I just want diversity in the roster. To give us diversity, I request we cut the queer woman of colour!" That... would not be a sentence that makes sense in most discussions of diversity lol.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
People want series that they are familiar with and I guess there's just a lot of concern about IPs hogging "too many" slots... but, yes, it is very funny how it sometimes grounded in the language of "I want diversity in the roster," whether because of perceived lack of moveset potential or just a general sense of sameiness to the outsider.

I find the diversity language especially funny with people arguing against Korra. "Hey, I just want diversity in the roster. To give us diversity, I request we cut the queer woman of colour!" That... would not be a sentence that makes sense in most discussions of diversity lol.
Meanwhile, the forest is missed for the trees in that an IP that "gets in the way" of another IP actually mostly just helps the process of elimination after a while, since it means there'd be progressively less IPs being prioritized over ones that people want.

Even now, most people aren't seeing that in this case, it's happening much faster because the minute that All-Star Brawl gets DLC, the perceived focus on pre-00s series will actually decrease when the staff runs out of 80s/90s characters that interests them.

Last edited:

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
I just can't be bothered enough about the lack of voice acting. It doesn't matter to me but if it really matters enough to some people that they'd not buy the game...that just feels like a really odd way of stacking priorities when it comes to video games when the gameplay should always be what comes first in an interactive medium. But, hey...you do you, I suppose. If it doesn't seem like a worthwhile purchase due to no voice acting, tis your money and spend it elsewhere.

I felt a tad bummed but I still stand by my statement before that Smash's over use of voices can sometimes be grating to me. So a game that has a lack of grunts, growls, shouts and such will be a nice change of pace. The gameplay looks far too tight for me to really gripe about much.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's less about the voices and more about how the presentation feels a bit 'off' elsewhere. Sound effects not varying much, HUDs looking sparse, that kind of thing. Even the music has been noted as divisive. Makes it feel like Nick has no faith whatsoever in this game doing anything more than catering to its usual audience.

We need more gameplay showcases soon so that we can have a better picture of the whole thing.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I bring forth good news

Spongebob with thetatsumaki senpukyaku? 😳
Yeah, a big name like him will certainly boost attention towards the game.
That being said, I see SpongeBob more like the :ultmario: of the roster. Leonardo is probably closer to the classic Shoto, depending on how his moves are compared to Michelangelo.

Top Bottom