• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Yeah, a big name like him will certainly boost attention towards the game.
That being said, I see SpongeBob more like the :ultmario: of the roster. Leonardo is probably closer to the classic Shoto, depending on how his moves are compared to Michelangelo.
...But wouldn't Mario be considered the Shoto of Smash? So SpongeBob being the Mario of All-Star Brawl also makes him the game's Shoto (as confirmed by Rep).

Plus, as far as I can tell, Leo doesn't seem to have the simple projectile attack.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
...But wouldn't Mario be considered the Shoto of Smash? So SpongeBob being the Mario of All-Star Brawl also makes him the game's Shoto (as confirmed by Rep).

Plus, as far as I can tell, Leo doesn't seem to have the simple projectile attack.
Nothing says we can't have more than one: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Shotoclone

If Leo is confirmed not to throw anything at all in his moveset breakdown, then Mikey will be one (he still throws a pizza).

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I've seen these "no voice acting" complaints on like 90% of comments both on Youtube and Twitter. Heck, I even saw one person on Twitter claim that not only was the lack of voice-acting a deal-breaker, but also that the devs should've used the majority of the budget on getting voice-actors for the game...completely ignoring how that could've negatively affected the gameplay.

And frankly, I'm starting to get really annoyed by people constantly bringing this up; like, yeah, no voice-acting (even just grunts) is a bit of a bummer, but I honestly feel people are REALLY overblowing this issue, treating it like it's a major aspect of the game.
I'll give my take: I probably won't be getting this game, and like 70% of that is because there's no voice acting.

I understand why it's not there, and I appreciate all the love that the devs are putting into still trying to convey personality without them and to make a compelling fighting game with a limited budget. However, I'm not really a competitive fighting game type, so all the complexity and depth is likely to be lost on me. I normally play games like Smash either as a party game (which won't be happening anytime soon for obvious reasons) or for their single player content (which it doesn't look like this game does because again, budgetary reasons that I totally get). Which means that the only reason NASB would appeal to me is with the fanservicey crossover aspect, and, yeah, voice acting is a major part of making famous characters feel like themselves.

I've seen all the footage released so far because I'm super into the idea of the game. But watching April fight Patrick and have them be completely silent is uncanny and kind of unsettling. YMMV but for me that removes a lot of the excitement in having the characters in the game because they aren't the characters so much as they are the characters' models. So that's why it's a dealbreaker for me. Totally get that it won't be like that for everyone and hey, that's totally fine, the more people that buy this game as is the better the odds are of getting a sequel that fixes the issues I have with the first. But I figured I'd put this out there because I don't think it's an overblown complaint. People just want different things from games in this genre.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
However, I'm not really a competitive fighting game type, so all the complexity and depth is likely to be lost on me. I normally play games like Smash either as a party game
In my case, I HAVE to rely on tournaments to play with other people offline ever since the 2010s. Everyone I could've played Smash casually with either doesn't play games anymore, moved on to other ones, or I've lost contact with them.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'll give my take: I probably won't be getting this game, and like 70% of that is because there's no voice acting.

I understand why it's not there, and I appreciate all the love that the devs are putting into still trying to convey personality without them and to make a compelling fighting game with a limited budget. However, I'm not really a competitive fighting game type, so all the complexity and depth is likely to be lost on me. I normally play games like Smash either as a party game (which won't be happening anytime soon for obvious reasons) or for their single player content (which it doesn't look like this game does because again, budgetary reasons that I totally get). Which means that the only reason NASB would appeal to me is with the fanservicey crossover aspect, and, yeah, voice acting is a major part of making famous characters feel like themselves.

I've seen all the footage released so far because I'm super into the idea of the game. But watching April fight Patrick and have them be completely silent is uncanny and kind of unsettling. YMMV but for me that removes a lot of the excitement in having the characters in the game because they aren't the characters so much as they are the characters' models. So that's why it's a dealbreaker for me. Totally get that it won't be like that for everyone and hey, that's totally fine, the more people that buy this game as is the better the odds are of getting a sequel that fixes the issues I have with the first. But I figured I'd put this out there because I don't think it's an overblown complaint. People just want different things from games in this genre.
In my case, I HAVE to rely on tournaments to play with other people offline ever since the 2010s. Everyone I could've played Smash casually with either doesn't play games anymore, moved on to other ones, or I've lost contact with them.
I never played any fighting games for the competitive aspect anyways. I've played by myself for most of my youth, so.

I'll make one thing clear though. It doesn't matter if I never run into anyone here in any online matches or whatever, I'll try to support this game on both the physical and digital fronts. I won't let the devs' work go to waste and help make sure this is a success.

Last edited:

DeviousFish

Smash Apprentice

I guess probably wait till they patch voices in, just like they did for the power ranger game.(I should specify if they do though)

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I made this as a joke. (I hope people don't take it too seriously)
View attachment 330076
Ehhhh the jab at the community feels like a ticking time bomb but other than that I'd only have a more nitpicky thing about Korra's nationality as Water Tribe is meant to be part of the real indigenous group known as the Inuit who are much more commonly known as a slur, not neccesarily black. Again though that's more nitpicky

amageish

Smash Master
I made this as a joke. (I hope people don't take it too seriously)
View attachment 330076
As a joke meme, good meme! That said, as your caption indicates, I'm sure part of the community will take it seriously haha. There does seem to be a subset of Nick fans who are actually unironically dunking on Smash in... somewhat questionable ways.

Also, WRT queer rep, Smash does have explicitly queer characters through two of the most popular and beloved additions to the game's roster: Corrin and Byleth! 😅 It is kind of crazy how few dark-skinned characters there are in Smash though....

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
As a joke meme, good meme! That said, as your caption indicates, I'm sure part of the community will take it seriously haha. There does seem to be a subset of Nick fans who are actually unironically dunking on Smash in... somewhat questionable ways.

Also, WRT queer rep, Smash does have explicitly queer characters through two of the most popular and beloved additions to the game's roster: Corrin and Byleth! 😅 It is kind of crazy how few dark-skinned characters there are in Smash though....
In terms of POC representation we have Ryu, Joker, Min Min, and Kazuya who are all canonically Asian. Pokemon Trainer, Villager, and Inkling all also have dark-skinned alts.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's already too late anyways, TV Tropes has a fandom rivalry entry on the YMMV page, in regards to them. At worst the meme template edit would just become the new "ugly :ultsteve: render".

In terms of POC representation we have Ryu, Joker, Min Min, and Kazuya who are all canonically Asian. Pokemon Trainer, Villager, and Inkling all also have dark-skinned alts.
And then there's :ultganondorf:, who's a special case within his own race.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
True! Little Mac has also a darker skin tone (at least in some depictions; Little Mac lacks design consistency in general) and is from the Bronx of New York, but we don't know his actual ethnicity...

Ehhhh the jab at the community feels like a ticking time bomb but other than that I'd only have a more nitpicky thing about Korra's nationality as Water Tribe is meant to be part of the real indigenous group known as the Inuit who are much more commonly known as a slur, not neccesarily black. Again though that's more nitpicky
And, yeah, it's hard to really say what real-world ethnic groups the cast of Avatar belong to... The show's architecture and cultures do appear most influenced by parts of China, Japan, and northwestern Inuit tribes though, yeah.

It is also fairly likely that Avatar will be providing both all the PoC and all the queer reps for Nick All-Stars, unless Ronnie Anne or Luna Loud make it in from The Loud House...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I've never understood why people care so much for a certain ethnicity gender or whatever for a character when all that matters if the character is fun to play
Because diversity is ultimately a good thing. Like, if Nagoriyuki in GG Strive was a blonde white guy he wouldn't have been nearly as visually striking, not to mention how diversity in kids media is important, kids should know about stuff like that in general and seeing as all this is from kid shows... It's also nice that the forced homogeneousness that's lasted centuries is finally cracking away.

amageish

Smash Master
Personally I think Korra's inclusion is about being the protagonist of an Avatar spinoff rather than ethnicity or sexuality but that's just me.
Of course, she’s being included for being a cool character from a popular show with a unique fighting style!

That said, diversity does matter and I do think it is an important part of Korra’s story as well, partly just because of how it impacted the the show’s creation and storytelling. If things like gender and sexuality truly didn’t matter, then the Nickelodeon executives wouldn’t have pushed back against the original Legend of Korra pitch for making her a woman of colour (asking for the creators to make her a man instead) or limited the explicitness they could depict her love for other women on-screen.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think diversity is secondary to the point of this game. The genre has made strides ever since Yie-Ar Kung Fu only had one Chinese chick for you to fight, so I'd suggest not getting too caught up in it. Lord knows the discussions we'd end up with if we ever get another CN fighter, but with Steven Universe and OK K.O. Let's Be Heroes in it...:pcfire:

At any rate, I think some of us are getting a bit bored and desperate waiting for the next info drops next week.

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Because diversity is ultimately a good thing. Like, if Nagoriyuki in GG Strive was a blonde white guy he wouldn't have been nearly as visually striking, not to mention how diversity in kids media is important, kids should know about stuff like that in general and seeing as all this is from kid shows... It's also nice that the forced homogeneousness that's lasted centuries is finally cracking away.
Ehh to me, Please do not get upset at me but....i don't like seeing too much diversity in media, while it is a good thing it's kinda become a little too much for me.

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
What is that even supposed to mean?

"Too much diversity"

What, you want everything to be like this?
Sorry for using the wrong words, i was saying that because i've gotten put off by how many LGBT representation was used in media, i didn't wanna be real with it since it would get people to paint me on a negative light.
I don't know how to feel about everyone becoming Blob's, it would be hard to tell who's who.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Sorry for using the wrong words, i was saying that because i've gotten put off by how many LGBT representation was used in media, i didn't wanna be real with it since it would get people to paint me on a negative light.
I don't know how to feel about everyone becoming Blob's, it would be hard to tell who's who.
Simply put, LGBT+ people exist and they deserve to have characters of their own. There's nothing wrong with that.

Let's drop it now before it gets out of hand, please.

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Simply put, LGBT+ people exist and they deserve to have characters of their own. There's nothing wrong with that.

Let's drop it now before it gets out of hand, please.
There not bad, it's just hard seeing them all the time on screen

But i agree, let's just keep this topic out of this thread.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
You're put off that marginalized people who have to literally fight for right just to exist are finally seeing positive representation in media after years of either being denied that or only seeing hurtful sterotypes and caricatures?

You see the problem with that sort of view right?

Anyways diversity is a good thing and I'm glad that NASB will have representation with characters like Korra in it

DeviousFish

Smash Apprentice
I don't want it to seem that i'm implying a bad mindset, so i apologize if what i'm saying is not good.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
I never played any fighting games for the competitive aspect anyways. I've played by myself for most of my youth, so.

I'll make one thing clear though. It doesn't matter if I never run into anyone here in any online matches or whatever, I'll try to support this game on both the physical and digital fronts. I won't let the devs' work go to waste and help make sure this is a success.

Yeah, that is also why I want to support them now rather than later. Nick wont give them a chance to expand if there are no sales to back them up. I also supported the Rangers fighting game under the same premise and at least that paid of so no reason to back down and not supported them when they have been reliable and open to us.

True! Little Mac has also a darker skin tone (at least in some depictions; Little Mac lacks design consistency in general) and is from the Bronx of New York, but we don't know his actual ethnicity...

And, yeah, it's hard to really say what real-world ethnic groups the cast of Avatar belong to... The show's architecture and cultures do appear most influenced by parts of China, Japan, and northwestern Inuit tribes though, yeah.

It is also fairly likely that Avatar will be providing both all the PoC and all the queer reps for Nick All-Stars, unless Ronnie Anne or Luna Loud make it in from The Loud House...
If I remember Little Mac is italian.

As for the representation aspect. I like this. I like the idea of variation in design and representing all sorts of groups. I just dont like the group behind it since they are also the ones policing what is correct. They basically got mexican Mario out of a game cover and as a mexican I must also say that thing got my blood boiling.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, that is also why I want to support them now rather than later. Nick wont give them a chance to expand if there are no sales to back them up. I also supported the Rangers fighting game under the same premise and at least that paid of so no reason to back down and not supported them when they have been reliable and open to us.

If I remember Little Mac is italian.

As for the representation aspect. I like this. I like the idea of variation in design and representing all sorts of groups. I just dont like the group behind it since they are also the ones policing what is correct. They basically got mexican Mario out of a game cover and as a mexican I must also say that thing got my blood boiling.
For your sake, I do hope that El Tigre has at least been considered by the Ludosity devs, should DLC become an option. Jorge is very supportive of anyone who borrows his creations, so it'd be cool if this game got his notice due to that possibility.

This sounds hilariously impractical. :grinch:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
To Those Who've reacted to my comment on diversity, I'd want to say I'm Sorry. I didn't want to cause some confusion here, i wanted to at least present a little bit of my thoughts on it, i didn't wanna come off offensive to anybody and wanted to bring a little bit of my worries on modern media.

Could we forgive each other & move on from this topic completely?

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
People want series that they are familiar with and I guess there's just a lot of concern about IPs hogging "too many" slots... but, yes, it is very funny how it sometimes grounded in the language of "I want diversity in the roster," whether because of perceived lack of moveset potential or just a general sense of sameiness to the outsider.

I find the diversity language especially funny with people arguing against Korra. "Hey, I just want diversity in the roster. To give us diversity, I request we cut the queer woman of colour!" That... would not be a sentence that makes sense in most discussions of diversity lol.
They're talking about diversity of character playstyles, designs, aesthetics, and franchises, not diversity of races and sexual orientations.

The reason why we have Korra on the roster is because she's the protagonist of a Nicktoon, an Avatar subseries that, while not as popular as The Last Airbender, is still too significant to leave out. Plus she represents the Water Tribes in-universe.

But yeah I really don't see Avatar being the Fire Emblem of All Star Brawl (unless, for whatever reason, they decided to go whole hog on just Korra which I really don't see Ludosity doing). Avatar is one of Nick's most iconic Nicktoons and every fighter would fight uniquely and have different types of weapons and moves, along with the franchise being extremely popular. Contrast that to Fire Emblem which has way too much representation in comparison to its' popularity and, while certainly rising, is nowhere near as popular as Nintendo's top dogs, along with having a significant amount of backlash from said Smash overrepresentation and a general break in the fandom between the old and new games. It's way more comparable to Pokemon or Zelda.

The only thing Avatar and FE have in common are similar art styles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom