• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Well with so many third party games releasing on Switch it's impossible to expect every games to be featured in direct, it's just 40 minutes so obviously they're going to focus on the big stuff. Besides, I'm pretty sure that most developpers have to pay to be featured in a Nintendo direct and with GAmeMill small budget I doubt we'll see their game in a big presentation.

Either way, I'm not expecting any NASB announcement before summer because this is when GameMill announce their game for a fall release in the same year.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'm pretty sure that most developpers have to pay to be featured in a Nintendo direct and with GAmeMill small budget I doubt we'll see their game in a big presentation.
The Switch port of Cruisn' Blast was published by GameMill and it was still announced in a Direct.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Cruisin' is bascially an "honourary Nintendo series" shudders (in fact it may outright still be a Nintendo series, the copyrights are pretty muddled), I don't think it'd be completely out of the blue for a Nintendo Direct to show NASB - Directs have shown other platform fighters, specificallly those with licensed characters, and NASB has been in some pretty big place, but certainly not likely given the budget and how Directs only catch one console audience - the audience that, as adamant as I am that NASB > Ultimate, would probably find the least value in NASB

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
My guess is we're going to get the sequel in the fall, probably around Sept/Oct in timeline.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Is there like any ambiguity as to whether we'll get one though? Even if we pretend assume the leak is fake, the first game made a ton of money against its low budget.
Even though it lost almost all its playerbase within a few weeks. It would be very hard to get new players into a possible sequel because of the first game's reputation. They'll just see it as nothing more than low budget shovelware.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Even if they do make a sequel, it will still fall victim to the same fate as the first, with the game losing almost all of its playerbase within a month and it being difficult to get new players in. Nick is a very niche brand among adults, with its adult fanbase being much smaller than what Disney Channel and Cartoon Network have.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Even if they do make a sequel, it will still fall victim to the same fate as the first, with the game losing almost all of its playerbase within a month and it being difficult to get new players in. Nick is a very niche brand among adults, with its adult fanbase being much smaller than what Disney Channel and Cartoon Network have.
Do you think kids and families don't play platform fighters or something?

Scratch that, do you think losing the quickplay playerbase is a bad thing to be scared of?

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Do you think kids and families don't play platform fighters or something?

Scratch that, do you think losing the quickplay playerbase is a bad thing to be scared of?
It just makes it harder for new players to get in because it would be very hard for them to even find a match, and if they do, they'll most likely be up against a very experienced player and get demolished.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Haven't I constantly said that I want it to be easier to find games for NASB online? and offline for that matter, I can only get them if people are hosting tournaments within an hour's reach

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I honestly don't think Nick's in-touch enough to care about post-launch numbers; evidently, they just care that people are buying the game, which is kinda good for us since it means our game dropping off the front page of Twitch after a day means nothing for the series' future.
Haven't I constantly said that I want it to be easier to find games for NASB online? and offline for that matter, I can only get them if people are hosting tournaments within an hour's reach
Welcome to the world of alternative platform fighters, my guy. :upsidedown:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Welcome to the world of alternative platform fighters, my guy. :upsidedown:
There's a difference between "it's okay to be niche" and "you're not allowed to be able to play the game online". And anyone who's defending NASB's playercount is the latter.

Even Fraymakers' playercount isn't this awful.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I honestly don't think Nick's in-touch enough to care about post-launch numbers; evidently, they just care that people are buying the game, which is kinda good for us since it means our game dropping off the front page of Twitch after a day means nothing for the series' future.
Yeah honestly my guess is that the game wasn't even supposed to have post launch content at all, but when they saw the hype that the announcement creates and the big fan demand for some characters (including Jenny,Rocko and Hugh) they decided to do 3 bonus characters as dlc. I don't Nick really care about player numbers, it was never meant to be a live service games who needs a big player base to continue.

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman
Raph and Donnie seem like such obvious sequel bait I'd be genuinely surprised to not see them there. They could even play into it like "RAPHAEL AND DONATELLO ARE HERE THE NINJA TEAM IS COMPLETE!"

I could see more than one Avatar universe character making it in. Not only does Nick want to make it like their MCU, but these are characters who are actual legit fighters from one of Nick's incredibly rare pure action shows.

We better get an Angry Beaver or I'm gonna complain about it a lot freak out.
Please be right. The worst part by far for me was the roster choices, I want the turtles so badly.

Smash Journeyman
Aside from the absences of iconic characters like Jimmy Neutron and Timmy Turner this roster is fine.
Sorry, I don't think that way and I never will. The roster could be a lot better. Not only for being very 90s focused but some choices just didn't make sense and fell flat with time.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I've said this before, and I'll say it again: saying a Nickelodeon game has "90s bias" as a negative is equivalent to saying a Looney Tunes game has "50s bias". That's when most of the iconic shows came out, so it's pretty obvious that a Nick crossover would slant towards the decade.

Keep in mind: I say this as a 2000s kid who grew up with Unite series

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
No, it literally couldn't be.

If Ludosity never fought with Nick over certain roster choices, only 25% of the roster would be different at best. And one of those differences would not be Jimmy instead of Hugh.
I think that if Ludosity never fought with Nick we would not have gotten Toph, Lucy, April, PTM, Nigel, and Oblina, and we would have instead gotten Clyde, Arnold, Tommy, Angelica, Raphael, and Donatello. Also, Rocko would have been in the game from launch and the TMNT characters would have been based on the 2012 series instead of the 1987 series. So, this is what I believe Nickelodeon's ideal roster for this game looked like:

SpongeBob, Patrick, Sandy, Leonardo, Michelangelo, Raphael, Donatello, Shredder, Aang, Korra, Lincoln, Clyde, Arnold, Helga, Tommy, Angelica, Reptar, Ren and Stimpy, CatDog, Danny, Zim, Rocko, and Garfield.

Last edited:

Smash Journeyman
No, it literally couldn't be.

If Ludosity never fought with Nick over certain roster choices, only 25% of the roster would be different at best. And one of those differences would not be Jimmy instead of Hugh.
Yeah it could, Nick just shares blame. I still hold plenty of disappointment toward the roster and certain choices for it.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
My only real gripe with the roster is that they planned to have four TMNT characters from the start, but not all four Turtles... granted, that may have been for the best since one of 'em ended up getting pushed back anyway, but it's weird to me. Otherwise, the "weird" picks all make at least some degree of sense in context (even Hugh, before someone says it) and make the game a lot more interesting than if they just went down the checklist of Nick's most popular [main] characters and IPs before moving onto the Oblinas and Nigels of the world.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I can kind of understand not having all four Turtles to a degree, since the 80's cartoon Turtles all look more or less identical, so April and Shredder bring in some visual variety.

This problem however could have been avoided if they had not used the 80's Turtles, because every TMNT cartoon afterwards does something to set them apart visually.

I dunno, having April and Shredder is pretty cool, so I'm not like, angry about only two Turtles. It sucks to not have them, but we have enough TMNT as it is.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I can kind of understand not having all four Turtles to a degree, since the 80's cartoon Turtles all look more or less identical, so April and Shredder bring in some visual variety.

This problem however could have been avoided if they had not used the 80's Turtles, because every TMNT cartoon afterwards does something to set them apart visually.

I dunno, having April and Shredder is pretty cool, so I'm not like, angry about only two Turtles. It sucks to not have them, but we have enough TMNT as it is.
I would have each Turtle represent a different show.
(Leo being 80's, Mikey being 2012, Ralph being Rise, and so on)

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
When Ludosity adds Popular Mc90sCartoonGuy and not Mr. Derp from yet another 2010s Nicktoon that barely made it past season 1 before being canceled
1677261975426.png

but uh yeah the roster clearly isn't TEH WURST ROSTAR EVAR!!!!1 when everyone can universally agree there's only two glaring omissions from a 25-character roster.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Something that's been on my mind since announcement: if Plankton was in the game, do you think he should be a big-bodied heavyweight in a mech - like he tends to be in SpongeBob and Nicktoons video games - or a tiny lightweight? I've always liked the idea of Plankton using his Krabby Patty spider (the one he used to shift into MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE) - that way you can give him a size that's close enough to canon and keep the "haha tiny man thinks he's big" joke, without sacrificing his range, inventions, or hitability.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Something that's been on my mind since announcement: if Plankton was in the game, do you think he should be a big-bodied heavyweight in a mech - like he tends to be in SpongeBob and Nicktoons video games - or a tiny lightweight? I've always liked the idea of Plankton using his Krabby Patty spider (the one he used to shift into MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE) - that way you can give him a size that's close enough to canon and keep the "haha tiny man thinks he's big" joke, without sacrificing his range, inventions, or hitability.
I've always liked the Plankton sitting on top of Karen idea, but man, playing as the MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE Krabby Patty sounds hilarious.

It would be interesting to see a slightly sized up Plankton all on his own with no mech, though. Maybe at least one of his backpacks with the arms coming out of them or something.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Him with Karen

Smash Journeyman
If we were going to have a bunch of TMNT anyway to the point of outperforming Spongebob then I can't see the point of trying to actively avoid the turtles. It made sense when we originally thought the number of characters from that franchise were three. But four anyway? Pointless imo. They would've made up in moveset variety and being some of the only characters to actually fight than spawn or do random stuff for the sake of a reference.

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
I’ve always liked the idea of him riding a Chum Bucket Helmet controller Larry the Lobster, fighting games always need more heavyweights, it gets around the issue of Plankton’s size, Mr. Lawrence voices both of those characters, and you could have his special moves be attributed to Plankton while most of the normals belong to Larry

If we were going to have a bunch of TMNT anyway to the point of outperforming Spongebob then I can't see the point of trying to actively avoid the turtles. It made sense when we originally thought the number of characters from that franchise were three. But four anyway? Pointless imo. They would've made up in moveset variety and being some of the only characters to actually fight than spawn or do random stuff for the sake of a reference.
Because it’s always the 4 turtles. Ludosity wanted to do something different

Something else I haven’t seen people mention is that you kinda need side characters in this kind of game to have a decent amount of females in the cast. I’m not about to claim they were trying to fill a quota or something or that the characters they went with weren’t good picks of their own merit, rather if you go with just title characters from Nicktoons you have a cast overwhelmingly dude because Nicktoons rarely have a female protag, and so I could see that being a potential factor in the roster selection process on top of just general preference

Besides, after Rep confirmed the original pick instead of Shredder was Rocksteady I think it’s fair to assume Ludosity kinda just picks whoever they want within reason

Top Bottom