• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Either way, these rosters cannot ride on deep cuts.
Ludosity is what makes this game what it is, without it it'd be another Cartoon Network Punchtime Explosion, and that entails unconventional choices. And like I said, the only true deep cut the roster has so far is PTM and even then any R&S fan would probably choose him as their second character rep from that franchise

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Ludosity is what makes this game what it is, without it it'd be another Cartoon Network Punchtime Explosion, and that entails unconventional choices. And like I said, the only true deep cut the roster has so far is PTM and even then any R&S fan would probably choose him as their second character rep from that franchise
i certainly know people who pleased with PTM

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Speaking of more unconventional picks, I think an overlooked third party option (assuming we ever get to that point) would be Monster High rep. It's a pretty popular doll/show that's produced by Nickelodeon but owned by Mattel. But like, they're so synonymous with Nickelodeon that they may as well be first party

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Speaking of more unconventional picks, I think an overlooked third party option (assuming we ever get to that point) would be Monster High rep. It's a pretty popular doll/show that's produced by Nickelodeon but owned by Mattel. But like, they're so synonymous with Nickelodeon that they may as well be first party
I mean by that logic wouldn't someone from Star Trek Prodigy be a safe bet? They're actually owned under the Viacom umbrella.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I highly doubt that determines success/failure... PTM and Oblina were not what brought people flocking to the game.

But yeah, Ren and Stimpy doesn't have a lot of character choices and PTM was in Nicktoons MLB, so I actually wasn't surprised when I saw him.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Half of the articles reporting on this game's reveal trailer were focused on Nigel alone.
And yet the game still is dead to the public consciousness. Face the facts: memes alone do not carry a game or keep it relevant. People have moved on since the game wasn't up to snuff for them, even if it had wacky cartoon dad in it.

You want to keep the game successful? You want it to remain? Than they need to focus on pleasing the general public. A sequel doesn't have the same magic the first game did, that people bought expecting an experience on par with Smash. Face the fact that the game has a bad rap sheet behind it and know they need to prioritize fixing that bad press if they want the sequel to succeed.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
And yet the game still is dead to the public consciousness. Face the facts: memes alone do not carry a game or keep it relevant. People have moved on since the game wasn't up to snuff for them, even if it had wacky cartoon dad in it.

You want to keep the game successful? You want it to remain? Than they need to focus on pleasing the general public. A sequel doesn't have the same magic the first game did, that people bought expecting an experience on par with Smash. Face the fact that the game has a bad rap sheet behind it and know they need to prioritize fixing that bad press if they want the sequel to succeed.
Haven't I made it clear in the past that I don't give a monkey's about success? If I did I would've jumped back to Smash, or hell, never even considered an alternative game worth my time in the first place.

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
I mean by that logic wouldn't someone from Star Trek Prodigy be a safe bet? They're actually owned under the Viacom umbrella.
Yeah I suppose, I just hadn't heard anyone bring up Monster High before that I could recall

I highly doubt that determines success/failure... PTM and Oblina were not what brought people flocking to the game.
It'd be wrong to say it wasn't a factor

Love how you brought up absolutely no solutions

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Yeah. I'm not expecting a full set of them. I'm mainly expecting Squidward, Jimmy, Zuko, Arnold, Tommy, Angelica, and one new franchise rep for NASB2 (and I'm leaning towards the Angry Beavers in that regard due to it being the only unrepped pre-SBSP Nicktoon that is not owned by a competitor). I'm only expecting about 3 deep cuts for a total newcomer count of 10 newcomers.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Is anyone saying this game should have only obscure/secondary characters? Does NASB's roster "ride on deep cuts," even with folks like Hugh and PTM around?
And the only reason you care about half the characters you want is because you have an obsession with being different than the status quo. You've got no place dunking on anyone else for their takes. Agree to disagree.
You know how we already have the CEO of Contrarianism over here arguing that the "90s bias" is deserved because they supposedly have all the iconic Nicktoons from that decade anyway? If they start focusing on 2000s characters primarily, you'll then see people claim there's a 2000s bias and we need more 2010s reps, only to have multiple people and not just Captain Contrarian arguing that the 2000s bias is deserved because FOP and Jimmy Neutron legitimately are more iconic than TUFF Puppy/Breadwinners/Sanjay and Craig/etc.
Loving all the blatant mudslinging that's being levied at one user in particular, especially since there are apparently people in the thread who like this stuff. Are you guys trying to make this board as cliquey and toxic as the Smash portion of this site?
Actually, don't answer that.
Powdered Toast Man being in the game was genuinely the most interesting thing about NASB to me initially. It's like, of all the Nickelodeon characters they could've chosen, they got Powdered Toast Man? Now I gotta play it!
But nah, roster's trash because Jimmy Neutron isn't in it. :upsidedown:

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Is anyone saying this game should have only obscure/secondary characters? Does NASB's roster "ride on deep cuts," even with folks like Hugh and PTM around?
No. They shouldn't exclude more popular characters in favor of obscure/secondary characters for the sake of being "different" and "unique". While PTM, Nigel, Oblina, April, and Hugh were executed greatly, if you do it too much it just loses impact and actually becomes the norm for this game.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Half of the articles reporting on this game's reveal trailer were focused on Nigel alone.
Nigel's a super well-known character even if he isn't the "face" like Eliza is. Powdered Toast Man isn't even close to that. it was also the first time The Wild Thornberry's made a video game appearance in a long time so that was naturally going to make a big splash.

Does NASB's roster "ride on deep cuts," even with folks like Hugh and PTM around?
It would certainly try to if certain people had their way.

Either way, even if they had chosen conventional picks like Eliza or Arnold, that wouldn't have made a difference. People came to the game because it's a Nickelodeon Smash Bros, not because of unconventionality/"uniqueness".

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Nigel's a super well-known character even if he isn't the "face" like Eliza is. Powdered Toast Man isn't even close to that. it was also the first time The Wild Thornberry's made a video game appearance in a long time so that was naturally going to make a big splash.

It would certainly try to if certain people had their way.

Either way, even if they had chosen conventional picks like Eliza or Arnold, that wouldn't have made a difference. People came to the game because it's a Nickelodeon Smash Bros, not because of unconventionality/"uniqueness".
Pretty much. People got this game because of their nostalgia for Nick's programming.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I wouldn't have even thought about playing Nickelodeon Smash Bros. if it weren't for a combination of good-looking gameplay and fun roster picks, which the PTMs and Nigels are part of as well as your SpongeBobs and Turtles. If the initial roster we saw on July 13 was literally just main characters, I wouldn't have even looked the game's way beyond some funny memes. Maybe I'm just weird; either way, speak for yourself.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Unconventionality/uniqueness is LITERALLY what Nickelodeon's golden era was about. Trying to turn this game into Smash with Nick characters runs completely counter to the entire point of Nickelodeon in the first place

Despite being a huge Nick fan growing up and being a big fan of Nicktoons video games, I fully wrote this game off as another Punchtime Explosion when it first leaked. Didn't stop me from making a roster prediction or two, but it was gonna be an "I'll definitely be getting this at some point", not, "This looks like the people making it actually cared, easy day 1 purchase" as soon as the actual trailer dropped

I know alot of y'all love trend hopping from platform fighter to platform fighter but NASB's shortcomings fall solely on high expectations and a fanbase full of unwillingness to accept that every platform fighter has to follow the design and rules of Smash to a T

But like, is it really even fair to call NASB a failure?

In about a year and a half-ish of dev time,
  • NASB launched with 20 characters
  • 20 stages
  • (2 more of each being added a couple months later for free)
  • soundtracks for each stage as well as a bunch of unique menu ones
  • a functioning arcade mode at launch
  • all the while at one point around launch being THE top selling game on Steam, above noteworthy decades history franchises like Battlefield
  • all by a dev team of around 8-ish people (some of which didn't even work on NASB) across the world from Nick's HQ, with a debatably less than reliable publisher and countless petty restrictions from Viacom themselves

Not to mention pretty much every out there pick was FOUGHT FOR by the dev team to be included (Nigel, PTM, Lucy, Oblina, etc) ALL THE WHILE, most likely working on this game during the pandemic, only to go on and get nominated for best fighting game of the year it released, and it's release trailer creating almost unanimous online buzz and countless hysterical memes that brought pretty much the entire internet together in a time when we couldn't be further apart

In other words, I wish more people acknowledged this game as the living miracle it is instead of being down in the dumps over a handful of characters not making the cut

Edit: And of course the free update inclusions of voice acting with an on/off switch, rollback netcode online at launch, items, alt costumes. Shouldn't be a big deal but when Tekken is charging for frame data it's worth noting

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Unconventionality/uniqueness is LITERALLY what Nickelodeon's golden era was about. Trying to turn this game into Smash with Nick characters runs completely counter to the entire point of Nickelodeon in the first place

Despite being a huge Nick fan growing up and being a big fan of Nicktoons video games, I fully wrote this game off as another Punchtime Explosion when it first leaked. Didn't stop me from making a roster prediction or two, but it was gonna be an "I'll definitely be getting this at some point", not, "This looks like the people making it actually cared, easy day 1 purchase" as soon as the actual trailer dropped

I know alot of y'all love trend hopping from platform fighter to platform fighter but NASB's shortcomings fall solely on high expectations and a fanbase full of unwillingness to accept that every platform fighter has to follow the design and rules of Smash to a T

But like, is it really even fair to call NASB a failure?

In about a year and a half-ish of dev time,
  • NASB launched with 20 characters
  • 20 stages
  • (2 more of each being added a couple months later for free)
  • soundtracks for each stage as well as a bunch of unique menu ones
  • a functioning arcade mode at launch
  • all the while at one point around launch being THE top selling game on Steam, above noteworthy decades history franchises like Battlefield
  • all by a dev team of around 8-ish people (some of which didn't even work on NASB) across the world from Nick's HQ, with a debatably less than reliable publisher and countless petty restrictions from Viacom themselves

Not to mention pretty much every out there pick was FOUGHT FOR by the dev team to be included (Nigel, PTM, Lucy, Oblina, etc) ALL THE WHILE, most likely working on this game during the pandemic, only to go on and get nominated for best fighting game of the year it released, and it's release trailer creating almost unanimous online buzz and countless hysterical memes that brought pretty much the entire internet together in a time when we couldn't be further apart

In other words, I wish more people acknowledged this game as the living miracle it is instead of being down in the dumps over a handful of characters not making the cut

Edit: And of course the free update inclusions of voice acting with an on/off switch, rollback netcode online at launch, items, alt costumes. Shouldn't be a big deal but when Tekken is charging for frame data it's worth noting
Just to address one thing in specific, the game got nominated for Fighting Game of the Year when they were stretching for nominees. Not many fighting games came out in 2021 in the first place, so it's not really much to write home about.

Loving all the blatant mudslinging that's being levied at one user in particular, especially since there are apparently people in the thread who like this stuff. Are you guys trying to make this board as cliquey and toxic as the Smash portion of this site?
Actually, don't answer that.

Powdered Toast Man being in the game was genuinely the most interesting thing about NASB to me initially. It's like, of all the Nickelodeon characters they could've chosen, they got Powdered Toast Man? Now I gotta play it!
But nah, roster's trash because Jimmy Neutron isn't in it. :upsidedown:
1. I never said the roster was trash
2. I never said that obscure picks don't have a place here

All I said was that objectively for business sense you want to shoot for the stars to get as many people as possible on your game. You don't win friends with salad, if you will.

Like it or not the game has a pretty negative reception online, and you want to eliminate bad press by pleasing the most people possible.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Did you forget a "not" in there?
uh yeah seems I did, whoops

Just to address one thing in specific, the game got nominated for Fighting Game of the Year when they were stretching for nominees. Not many fighting games came out in 2021 in the first place, so it's not really much to write home about.

1. I never said the roster was trash
2. I never said that obscure picks don't have a place here

All I said was that objectively for business sense you want to shoot for the stars to get as many people as possible on your game. You don't win friends with salad, if you will.

Like it or not the game has a pretty negative reception online, and you want to eliminate bad press by pleasing the most people possible.
more than 5 fighting games released in 2021, it earned it's nom

and again, glad that you've offered no ideas or solutions, just another empty vague statement

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
So, you want people to make their art soulless, people pleasing, design-by-committe sludge?
Says the one who thinks that a block with a swing is the kind of stage NASB should be gunning for. "Don't copy Smash unless it's specifically popular competitive stage layouts!"

Yes, NASB shouldn't copy Smash to an absolute T but at the same time Smash is seen as the standard for a good reason. This is Nickelodepn All Star Brawl, not Nickeloden Deep-Cut Melee: Tournament Edition. If Smash was just Melee without most of the single-player content it wouldn't be where it is today.

And you shouldn't snub a worthy character for the sake of a quick laugh/"being different". There's right and wrong ways to be unique, it's all anout execution. Hugh would've been way better received if he came ALONGSIDE Jimmy and not instead of him.

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Hugh would've been way better received if he came ALONGSIDE Jimmy and not instead of him.
Hugh was absolutely well received though??? Y'all are acting like he wasn't consistently a top 5 request prior to his reveal

Also Hal Laboratory has about 200-ish (for the sake of argument we'll just assume it was half that all those years ago) people that could've potentially been working on Melee, not to mention the two latest Smash installments required big help from Bandai Namco, all with the production budget of Nintendo and pretty much free reign. Stop comparing them, it's ridiculous

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Hugh was absolutely well received though??? Y'all are acting like he wasn't consistently a top 5 request prior to his reveal

Also Hal Laboratory has about 200-ish (for the sake of argument we'll just assume it was half that all those years ago) people that could've potentially been working on Melee, not to mention the two latest Smash installments required big help from Bandai Namco, all with the production budget of Nintendo and pretty much free reign. Stop comparing them, it's ridiculous
Smash started small as well, and didn't need to be "anti-Meta" in order to succeed. Even Smash 64 and Melee had more non-character content than NASB has now. I do appriciate the hard work and love the devs put into this game, and I've honestly had more enthusiasm for this game lately than Smash! They made the best of their budget! I was also still happy when Nigel got in, I LOVED The Wild Thornberrys as a kid! But that doesn't mean that they're percect descision makers. And this game's reputation DOES matter, wider appeal brings in sales, thus it speaks Viacom's language, leading to a bigger budget, and thus more content, employees, and thus a bigger and better game, which then leads into a positive feedback loop. That way the devs will have the budget and manpower to both put even MORE love into the game, but have the resources for more characters so that we can get BOTH the big superstars and the meme deep cuts! Would you really sacrifice all of that for "haha jimmy got hughd 3 times"?!

And speaking of Jimmy, sure Hugh placed 5th on a lot of polls. But Jimmy always placed 2nd or 1st.

And like GaminGryff and I keep trying to tell you, no, Hugh was NOT univsrsally well-received, nor did his inclusion kill the MASSIVE demand Jimmy still has.

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Smash started small as well, and didn't need to be "anti-Meta" in order to succeed.
yeah being Nintendo published does that for ya. Also almost half the OG roster would be considered outlandish picks at the time of that games release (Fox and Falcon never left their vehicles prior, Luigi was just Player 2, Earthbound was very obscure and Jigglypuff was a very out there pick for a gen 1 Pokemon rep)

Shroob

Sup?
I'm an outsider to all this I admit, but considering the rather colorful conversation on all of this, I feel like I'd wager my 2 cents on the issue.

I think Hugh's inclusion is funny, very funny, but as someone who isn't super invested in the game, but DID grow up watching a ton of Nicktoons, it just makes me ask "Where's Jimmy?"

Some characters get in over their main character sure, like Nigel or Ooblina, but Ooblina was always one of the three main characters of her show, and Nigel is like, one of the oldest internet memes, so I think most let it past. I'd wager Nigel's more recognizable than any character from The Wild Thornberries nowadays anyway.

But with Hugh, it's just....

Hugh feels like a character who was made to please the existing fanbase, not so much the people not already invested in the game. It'd be like if Geno were to ever get in Smash. Sure, Geno's fanbase would be ecstatic, but the wide majority of people would be confused or outright not care outside of "Wow new Smash character!"

And that's kind of an issue. Pandering, and I'm not using this word in a negative way, to your existing fans, is great! But when the game wasn't already in a good state, the game had double digit playercounts on Steam when Hugh was announced, you made the people playing happy, but to everyone else it's like "Huh?"

Again, I think Hugh is funny, but I think he should have been the 2nd Jimmy Neutron character to be blatantly honest.

....but even beyond that point, it's not like adding Jimmy before Hugh would have done much. The game had already launched in an extremely rough state and had been bleeding players for months.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
yeah being Nintendo published does that for ya. Also almost half the OG roster would be considered outlandish picks at the time of that games release (Fox and Falcon never left their vehicles prior, Luigi was just Player 2, Earthbound was very obscure and Jigglypuff was a very out there pick for a gen 1 Pokemon rep)
Earthbound was more niche but still ongoing at the time, Luigi at that point wasn't "just player 2" and had been playable in several spinoffs by that point, and Jigglypuff was extremely popular at the time for its' run in the anime.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Crossplay now is out.

For reals.

For really reals.

Unless you're a Playstation/Xbox player.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
it does make me wonder if maybe it's not NASB 2 after all and they're just gonna continue to build off of the first game
well they better go all in on the marketing for NASB: We Don't Suck Anymore Edition

if GameMill would even allow that

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
ok that's just uncalled for
I'm not saying NASB sucks, I think the opposite, I'm just joking about how enough people think it sucks because of the state of the game at launch.

Why would I be ridiculously desperate to play the game with someone else if I thought it sucked?

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
So, you want people to make their art soulless, people pleasing, design-by-committe sludge?
I'd rather have characters I give a **** about in my game than just memes that haven't been funny in 10 years, yes

uh yeah seems I did, whoops

more than 5 fighting games released in 2021, it earned it's nom

and again, glad that you've offered no ideas or solutions, just another empty vague statement
I literally have offered a solution, not that it matters here since this isn't where I suspect the devs look: stop pandering to a limited audience that isn't doing enough to keep your game afloat. Look at the bigger picture.

View attachment 368899
(not referring to the character playstyles/movesets, pretty much everything else though)
I like how people are trying to keep the "rivalry" between these two alive. Also, yes, absolutely the first things I think of when I think "Warner Bros." are a cult classic film from the 80s, a niche animated film with archaic CGI blending with traditional animation, and a C tier villain to a C tier comic book hero (Gremlins, Iron Giant, and Black Adam in case it wasn't obvious).

If you're referring to it being a cashgrab, absolutely though

Oh, and for the record: I think Multiversus is rather unfun to play not based on it's selection of characters or limited map pool but because I think the fundamental mechanics of the game are bad.

I'm not some anti-NASB grouch like you all seem to think I am. I actually really enjoy it, jank and all - but I can always hope for something I love to work on it's flaws. Just because you don't see them as flaws doesn't mean I don't. I've said it a million times - you are free to like Hugh. But I'm being objective here: if you want to catch the most fish, you cast the widest net. This is an indie studio and a publishing company with a less than stellar reputation - they don't have the liberty of "doing whatever the **** we want because money and players are guaranteed."

The takeaway here is, in regards to NASB:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I like how people are trying to keep the "rivalry" between these two alive. Also, yes, absolutely the first things I think of when I think "Warner Bros." are a cult classic film from the 80s, a niche animated film with archaic CGI blending with traditional animation, and a C tier villain to a C tier comic book hero (Gremlins, Iron Giant, and Black Adam in case it wasn't obvious).
So at most, like, four of the game's 23+ characters are even semi-deep cuts? (Even then, Black Adam was pretty clearly added when he was to promote the movie.)

Anyway, crossplay still being alive's a pretty big bombshell. I was under the impression they were just saving it for the sequel at this rate.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
So at most, like, four of the game's 23+ characters are even semi-deep cuts? (Even then, Black Adam was pretty clearly added when he was to promote the movie.)

Anyway, crossplay still being alive's a pretty big bombshell. I was under the impression they were just saving it for the sequel at this rate.
I mean yes it's obvious Adam was added as promotion

My point is that even Multiversus isn't exactly the "corporate shill" game in regards to the roster at least, even if BA himself is. The other point is that yes I would rather see characters I care about and like than some of these weirdo picks (and also Lebron James)

Last edited:
Top Bottom