• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I actively want more 90s characters, considering that Chuckie and Arnold are my two most wanted characters. I enjoy playing as both in KR3.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I’ve always liked the idea of him riding a Chum Bucket Helmet controller Larry the Lobster,
I'm all for Plankton piloting something way taller than he is, but I think I'd rather have he and Larry be separate characters on the roster than this. Or at least have a variation where Larry isn't brainwashed and is allowed to be himself, with different specials to accompany it.

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman
I’ve always liked the idea of him riding a Chum Bucket Helmet controller Larry the Lobster, fighting games always need more heavyweights, it gets around the issue of Plankton’s size, Mr. Lawrence voices both of those characters, and you could have his special moves be attributed to Plankton while most of the normals belong to Larry

Because it’s always the 4 turtles. Ludosity wanted to do something different

Something else I haven’t seen people mention is that you kinda need side characters in this kind of game to have a decent amount of females in the cast. I’m not about to claim they were trying to fill a quota or something or that the characters they went with weren’t good picks of their own merit, rather if you go with just title characters from Nicktoons you have a cast overwhelmingly dude because Nicktoons rarely have a female protag, and so I could see that being a potential factor in the roster selection process on top of just general preference

Besides, after Rep confirmed the original pick instead of Shredder was Rocksteady I think it’s fair to assume Ludosity kinda just picks whoever they want within reason
Well, maybe there's a reason it's always the first turtles? They work well, and NASB would've been the only game that'd feature them with standout movesets. I liked the Mikey and Leonardo kits, it's a shame Raph and Don wouldn't get that treatment.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Or at least have a variation where Larry isn't brainwashed and is allowed to be himself, with different specials to accompany it.
Now that I'm thinking about is this could be a new feature for NASB2, moveset variations, that could explain the move where Patrick slams his house down if it isn't a super move and could address things like fans who want to see Aang be an Avatar while not sacrificing his old moveset.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
"90s bias"
I think the problem people have is that the 90's has almost its' entire library represented and gets a lot of favoritism from Nick as it is, while the 2000's still has loads of glaring omissions and the 2010's only has two characters (though one could say that it has 6 if you count the Turtles towards it, as they represent the 2010's when it comes to relevance to Nick).

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
2010's only has two characters
You mean three because of Korra.

Besides, the 2010's situation is why I think the decade ratios are always going to be lopsided. The 2010's was home to a lot of Nicktoons that got canceled quickly and don't have the followings of El Tigre let alone Invader Zim to make up for it.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
You mean three because of Korra.

Besides, the 2010's situation is why I think the decade ratios are always going to be lopsided. The 2010's was home to a lot of Nicktoons that got canceled quickly and don't have the followings of El Tigre let alone Invader Zim to make up for it.
I know that, I was mentioning the current state of things. I don't expect any more 2010's at all aside from more Loud House.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I wonder if Nick will ever manage to create a new 2020’s IP that is important enough for us to even consider discussing it. It doesn’t really feel like they’re heading in that direction, does it? (Or I’m probably just not paying attention to their recent output…)

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I wonder if Nick will ever manage to create a new 2020’s IP that is important enough for us to even consider discussing it. It doesn’t really feel like they’re heading in that direction, does it? (Or I’m probably just not paying attention to their recent output…)
Not really. All of their new shows in the works are based on already established IPs. Nick just doesn't want to take risks anymore. Nick Jr. is where all the new, innovative cartoons are now at Nick.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Well, maybe there's a reason it's always the first turtles? They work well, and NASB would've been the only game that'd feature them with standout movesets. I liked the Mikey and Leonardo kits, it's a shame Raph and Don wouldn't get that treatment.
If you mean fighting game you’re wrong, TMNT Tournament Fighters and Injustice 2 features all 4 TMNT and they’re all unique from each other

If you mean TMNT games in general…have you played a non arcade style TMNT game recently?

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman
If you mean fighting game you’re wrong, TMNT Tournament Fighters and Injustice 2 features all 4 TMNT and they’re all unique from each other

If you mean TMNT games in general…have you played a non arcade style TMNT game recently?
I mean in terms of platform fighters that go ham with fanservice and isn't afraid to get a little wackier with their kits.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Crossplay is finally out!

...between Steam and Epic Games players. Yay...

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Why are you even still on the thread if you just want to be pessimistic?
I want to talk about things other than my inability to play the game with others when I can.
I think most of us have moved on from crossplay happening for this game after the NASB 2 leak.
I have too, I just wanted to bait people with crossplay having technically happened, just not at a large enough scale.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
View attachment 368855
in general Nickelodeon news, a recent Spongebob episode had this logo for Nickelodeon in the end card, seems like we may not only be getting a new Nick logo but the iconic splat may be back too? It's not quite the same but hey!
Looks like the roadkill corpse of the Qubo logo

And here I was thinking that channel was executed by firing squad.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
The 90's biais debate is so silly lmao. This is like arguing that Smash bros has an 80's biais. It just happen to be the era where most iconic characters were made, it's not rocket science.

If Live action stuff was possible I would say that the 2000's have way more possible choice (like Drake and Josh, ICarly, and Ned declassified) but with just cartoons it's just logical that the 90's have more characters.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
The 90's biais debate is so silly lmao. This is like arguing that Smash bros has an 80's biais. It just happen to be the era where most iconic characters were made, it's not rocket science.

If Live action stuff was possible I would say that the 2000's have way more possible choice (like Drake and Josh, ICarly, and Ned declassified) but with just cartoons it's just logical that the 90's have more characters.
So Fairly OddParents, Jimmy Neutron, Danny Phantom, Avatar etc. are not as iconic as CatDog? Is anyone really saying that Rancid Rabbit is a more important choice than Zuko? and Spongebob, the show that beat the babies, was basically a 2000's show despite airing mid-1999. There's also the fact that the 2000's still has several important shows still missing while the 90's has its' entire lineup aside from the Beavers. Granted, it is starting to even out a bit, but nobody wants to see Rocko get a second rep before Danny Phantom.

The 90's had plenty of iconic content, but the bias is completely undeserved.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
nobody wants to see Rocko get a second rep before Danny Phantom.
Who ya' callin' "nobody"?

The only reason you think Jimmy Neutron is more iconic than CatDog is because you were a kid when Jimmy Neutron was on the air, and as such were directly targeted by the marketing push, and grew up to mostly mingle with people who were kids when Jimmy Neutron was on the air.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The only reason you think Jimmy Neutron is more iconic than CatDog is because you were a kid when Jimmy Neutron was on the air, and as such were directly targeted by the marketing push, and grew up to mostly mingle with people who were kids when Jimmy Neutron was on the air.
I may not side with Drifloon on thinking the 90's bias is undeserved (partially because we'll never have a perfectly balanced set of decade ratios anyway), but The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron was the most-watched Nicktoon premiere at the time.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The debate is silly, but regardless, as someone who grew up in the time period where both of the shows were still relevant, Jimmy Neutron is 100% the more iconic show of the two. That's not to say CatDog isn't iconic...it very much is, and most of it definitely stems from its very memorable premise and main character design.

But like...Jimmy Neutron was the first mainstream kids show that was fully CGI that didn't look like absolute garbage for the time. Like people harp on how it looks these days, but compared to things like the DKC show it was an aesthetic masterpiece lol. That and having the pilot episode be a theatrical film helped it out a lot. The marketing for it was everywhere. And, much like CatDog, Jimmy's outlandish character design made it so he stuck around in the public conscience.

Like, again...as someone who enjoyed both shows, just look at the casts of both shows. I'd be willing to bet a lot more people could name even the side characters of Jimmy Neutron over those of CatDog. A lot of people can't even seem to remember the names of the three Greasers despite them being major characters, from what I've seen. And again, that's from someone who popped off for Winslow's stage cameo in this game.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
The debate is silly, but regardless, as someone who grew up in the time period where both of the shows were still relevant, Jimmy Neutron is 100% the more iconic show of the two. That's not to say CatDog isn't iconic...it very much is, and most of it definitely stems from its very memorable premise and main character design.

But like...Jimmy Neutron was the first mainstream kids show that was fully CGI that didn't look like absolute garbage for the time. Like people harp on how it looks these days, but compared to things like the DKC show it was an aesthetic masterpiece lol. That and having the pilot episode be a theatrical film helped it out a lot. The marketing for it was everywhere. And, much like CatDog, Jimmy's outlandish character design made it so he stuck around in the public conscience.

Like, again...as someone who enjoyed both shows, just look at the casts of both shows. I'd be willing to bet a lot more people could name even the side characters of Jimmy Neutron over those of CatDog. A lot of people can't even seem to remember the names of the three Greasers despite them being major characters, from what I've seen. And again, that's from someone who popped off for Winslow's stage cameo in this game.
you know what yeah that's probably fair I tend to forget JN started as an Oscar nominated film

that aside though, if we're talking disproportionate rep based on popularity, Rugrats should have as many characters as Spongebob at least

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

Iconic is a matter of perspective. What you grow up with is going to be what you remember. No show is more iconic than another unless it's SpongeBob, TMNT, or Avatar, since all of those are basically timeless. They can be enjoyed by anyone, whereas other shows reek of 90s or late 2000s or even 2010s culture.

Who ya' callin' "nobody"?

And the only reason you care about half the characters you want is because you have an obsession with being different than the status quo. You've got no place dunking on anyone else for their takes. Agree to disagree.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Overall, the moral of the story is that 2000's rep and 90's rep need a better balance of the two, but I think we'll shift towards that as time goes on, especially since the game's roster election is based around fan demand and the only 90's characters left with notable demand are the Beavers and Arnold,

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Do we actually know if roster selections are decided solely on fan demand? Like, yeah, the DLC was, but that was DLC. Honestly I'd be extremely disappointed if NASB 2's newcomer roster was chosen only on fan demand. The main reason I was drawn to NASB in the first place was the weird characters like Nigel and Oblina, alongside the competitive gameplay and simple movesets.

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
I think we as a community need to accept that certain characters were not prioritized and expecting them to be in the inevitable sequel is in the realm of fantasy

They made a pretty clear comment during Lincoln's character showcase that Lily wants to "join in on the fun" but that it's "probably for the best she can't". Whether or not you agree with the verdict that they're not adding baby characters doesn't really change the fact that this seems to be the stance they've taken (besides, Rugrats has plenty of other good roster picks besides them, like Stu Pickles, Grandpa Lou, Spike, and heck I'm sure Angelica is still on the table) (furthermore Rugrats not being playable in the most prominent Nicktoons action/adventure games, a crappy mobile game being the sole exception shouldn't be viewed as the new rule)

Oblina was deemed the coolest of the trio in ARM and so got priority. Whether or not they add more beyond her is hard to say but Ickis definitely isn't a top contender nor do I or I imagine a lot of people believe we're gonna see him anytime soon (not that I'd be opposed)

I don't really see much support for Eliza compared to other protags that missed the cut but Nigel already mimics animals, Eliza presumably summoning them not only isn't a great fit for her character but would also be a lot of assets for a small team with a presumably tight budget all for a character not a lot of people are clamoring for compared to others

Hey Arnold has plenty of solid picks besides Helga and Arnold like Gerald, Harold, Grandpa Phil, Monkeyman, etc. I think Arnold could still work as a fighter, but prioritizing Helga over him isn't a good sign for his chances in a sequel (though I don't think they're slim like others I've mentioned)

Rocksteady was prioritized over Raphael and Donnie. I'm not saying they have no chance (they're probably the most likely of the characters I've mentioned), but it's clear they haven't been that big a priority nor do they seem to care about completing the team

I'm not gonna bother arguing for characters like Squidward or Zuko, as far as I'm concerned they're inevitable inclusions

Everyone currently in the roster with the sole exception of Powdered Toast Man are what I'd deem prominent characters that show up in a good portion of episodes (if not a majority of them) in their series', so the popular characters will have to make it in at some point unless they actually start adding more minor characters

Point I'm getting at is, we have a general idea of how Ludosity operates when picking characters and I think getting hung up on the same characters they clearly aren't making a priority over and over again has cannibalized roster speculation for a while. I'm sure this'll inevitably loop back around to those same characters again but it'd be nice for some variety in discussion

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
uh

that depends

because I'm pretty sure the turtles they picked for this game definitely reek of 80s cartoon
Overall, the moral of the story is that 2000's rep and 90's rep need a better balance of the two, but I think we'll shift towards that as time goes on, especially since the game's roster election is based around fan demand and the only 90's characters left with notable demand are the Beavers and Arnold,
I'm just worried that something similar will happen like this current argument, except between whether or not "2000s bias" is deserved.

You know how we already have the CEO of Contrarianism over here arguing that the "90s bias" is deserved because they supposedly have all the iconic Nicktoons from that decade anyway? If they start focusing on 2000s characters primarily, you'll then see people claim there's a 2000s bias and we need more 2010s reps, only to have multiple people and not just Captain Contrarian arguing that the 2000s bias is deserved because FOP and Jimmy Neutron legitimately are more iconic than TUFF Puppy/Breadwinners/Sanjay and Craig/etc.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Do we actually know if roster selections are decided solely on fan demand? Like, yeah, the DLC was, but that was DLC. Honestly I'd be extremely disappointed if NASB 2's newcomer roster was chosen only on fan demand. The main reason I was drawn to NASB in the first place was the weird characters like Nigel and Oblina, alongside the competitive gameplay and simple movesets.
At the end of the day, while Hugh was still a popular request, they prioritized him over Jimmy. Ludosity are going to pick and add whoever they want

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Oblina was deemed the coolest of the trio in ARM and so got priority. Whether or not they add more beyond her is hard to say but Ickis definitely isn't a top contender nor do I or I imagine a lot of people believe we're gonna see him anytime soon (not that I'd be opposed)
I'm honestly surprised ARM got onto the roster at all, it was pretty much overshadowed by the other Klasky Csupo shows back in the day.

At the end of the day, while Hugh was still a popular request, they prioritized him over Jimmy. Ludosity are going to pick and add whoever they want
Still not a fan of the precedence this sets.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'd throw in Rocket Power as well, but in fairness it's also in the same "so late into the 90s that it may as well be the 00's" camp as SpongeBob lol.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I totally agree, but that's exactly why I trust Ludosity picking the roster, they give us more unconventional picks instead of just MC 1, MC 2, MC 3, etc
There's a right and wrong way to do unconventional picks. Just imagine if, after all of that demand for Jenny, they just decided to add Tuck as the MLaaTR rep instead. How do you think people would've reacted to that?

I'd throw in Rocket Power as well, but in fairness it's also in the same "so late into the 90s that it may as well be the 00's" camp as SpongeBob lol.
I basically consider it an honorary 2000's show already! xD

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
And the only reason you care about half the characters you want is because you have an obsession with being different than the status quo. You've got no place dunking on anyone else for their takes. Agree to disagree.
How many times do I need to say this? I don't choose opinions for the sake of being "different" or "owning everyone else" - if I did I'd be rallying behind cutting SpongeBob or forcing items to be on or something literally malicious and objectively absurd like that. Open up your speculation overton window a little.

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
There's a right and wrong way to do unconventional picks. Just imagine if, after all of that demand for Jenny, they just decided to add Tuck as the MLaaTR rep instead. How do you think people would've reacted to that?
I mean there's a difference between unconventional and dumb. Tuck isn't a popular request and Jenny makes a better fighter, so we got her instead

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think we as a community need to accept that certain characters were not prioritized and expecting them to be in the inevitable sequel is in the realm of fantasy

They made a pretty clear comment during Lincoln's character showcase that Lily wants to "join in on the fun" but that it's "probably for the best she can't". Whether or not you agree with the verdict that they're not adding baby characters doesn't really change the fact that this seems to be the stance they've taken (besides, Rugrats has plenty of other good roster picks besides them, like Stu Pickles, Grandpa Lou, Spike, and heck I'm sure Angelica is still on the table) (furthermore Rugrats not being playable in the most prominent Nicktoons action/adventure games, a crappy mobile game being the sole exception shouldn't be viewed as the new rule)

I don't really see much support for Eliza compared to other protags that missed the cut but Nigel already mimics animals, Eliza presumably summoning them not only isn't a great fit for her character but would also be a lot of assets for a small team with a presumably tight budget all for a character not a lot of people are clamoring for compared to others

Hey Arnold has plenty of solid picks besides Helga and Arnold like Gerald, Harold, Grandpa Phil, Monkeyman, etc. I think Arnold could still work as a fighter, but prioritizing Helga over him isn't a good sign for his chances in a sequel (though I don't think they're slim like others I've mentioned)

Rocksteady was prioritized over Raphael and Donnie. I'm not saying they have no chance (they're probably the most likely of the characters I've mentioned), but it's clear they haven't been that big a priority nor do they seem to care about completing the team

I'm not gonna bother arguing for characters like Squidward or Zuko, as far as I'm concerned they're inevitable inclusions

Everyone currently in the roster with the sole exception of Powdered Toast Man are what I'd deem prominent characters that show up in a good portion of episodes (if not a majority of them) in their series', so the popular characters will have to make it in at some point unless they actually start adding more minor characters

Point I'm getting at is, we have a general idea of how Ludosity operates when picking characters and I think getting hung up on the same characters they clearly aren't making a priority over and over again has cannibalized roster speculation for a while. I'm sure this'll inevitably loop back around to those same characters again but it'd be nice for some variety in discussion
I know I've said this before, but if NASB2 does end up having more than 4-5 newcomers, I think they might HAVE to eventually give in to the "y not protag?" crowd here and there, and not just for Jimmy Neutron.

Nick Kart Racers 3 only adding 4 new shows and 2 SpongeBob spinoffs as opposed to NKR2 adding 8 all-new ones, and the amount of Nicktoons crossovers that only have a handful of shows, makes me think these shows have to be licensed on a per-show basis, so if they want NASB2 to have let's say 10 newcomers, I think at least half of those will HAVE to come from shows already licensed for NASB1. Of course, they don't have to add Ickis or Arnold because they couldn't afford The Mighty B representation, after all there's still characters like Plankton or Vlad too.

Top Bottom