• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Honestly, when it comes to Smash, I'm personally fine with guest characters because A. Smash has enough of a history and reputation to make those make sense, B. Smash at least sticks to the theme of "video game characters that have some sort of history/connection to Nintendo", and C. Even with all the 3rd Parties featured in Smash Ultimate, the ratio is still very much in favor of Nintendo; if it were like half the roster was 3rd parties, then I'd probably be saying that's a bit much. But as is, I think the ratio still favors Nintendo enough that it doesn't bother me, plus Smash has the extra factor of being a celebration of video games now, which is pretty cool to me.

With All-Star Brawl, though, I feel like it's way too soon to be considering guest characters, especially when there's still a good chunk of Nicktoons that haven't been featured yet. I'd say if they got a sequel someday, then maybe at that point they could do one or two 3rd parties (key word: maybe), but now? Now, I'd rather they focused on getting other Nicktoons in that haven't been repped yet.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
plus Smash has the extra factor of being a celebration of video games now
Well that's the thing: It's a "Celebration of gaming" that's extremely biased in Nintendo's favor still. SSBU was probably the worst Smash to use as a base for making Smash "transcend Nintendo", as
  1. "Everyone Is Here" means only having to bring back one third-party that wasn't in 4 and preserving what was mostly a Nintendo-focused selection of characters
  2. Catering to ballot requests means catering to a Nintendo-focused fanbase, even Simon and Banjo's requests were about their Nintendo connections.
  3. World of Light has you mostly fighting stand-ins for Nintendo characters, and it being easier to port 2D images to any game engine than 3D models means the game covers more of Nintendo than ever before.
  4. Limited DLC resources mean a lot of iconic gaming franchises couldn't join the battle, and said limited resources were still spent on three first-parties and a third-party whose Microsoft days are considered their low point. And for those who wanted to see absolutely unrepresented franchises, FP2 sucked for you since only two franchises in it had absolutely nothing in Smash prior to the pass.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Well that's the thing: It's a "Celebration of gaming" that's extremely biased in Nintendo's favor still. SSBU was probably the worst Smash to use as a base for making Smash "transcend Nintendo", as
  1. "Everyone Is Here" means only having to bring back one third-party that wasn't in 4 and preserving what was mostly a Nintendo-focused selection of characters
  2. Catering to ballot requests means catering to a Nintendo-focused fanbase, even Simon and Banjo's requests were about their Nintendo connections.
  3. World of Light has you mostly fighting stand-ins for Nintendo characters, and it being easier to port 2D images to any game engine than 3D models means the game covers more of Nintendo than ever before.
  4. Limited DLC resources mean a lot of iconic gaming franchises couldn't join the battle, and said limited resources were still spent on three first-parties and a third-party whose Microsoft days are considered their low point. And for those who wanted to see absolutely unrepresented franchises, FP2 sucked for you since only two franchises in it had absolutely nothing in Smash prior to the pass.
I was thinking in the sense that a lot of different gaming companies were allowed to be represented in the game as well as game series those companies are known for.

But that's just how I looks at things, and as I pointed out, the ratio is still in favor of Nintendo, so that's still a predominant theme, as opposed to how MultiVersus seems to doing things.

I was just giving my perspective on why I'm fine with 3rd Parties in Smash vs. Not being okay with 3rd parties in All-Star Brawl.

Smash Ultimate is a celebration of gaming history for people who think all video games magically disappeared after ET came out.
...I don't get it.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
a lot of different gaming companies were allowed to be represented in the game as well as game series those companies are known for.
Yes, but there's still a lot that are missing, which combined with the aforementioned reasons why I think SSBU was bad for using to make Smash go beyond Nintendo means SSBU is an extremely lopsided celebration of gaming.

UserKev

Smash Champion
It's just one of many shows Nick has reran. I wouldn't consider its Nick history any more or less stronger than Inspector Gadget's.

What I mainly worry about is third-parties having the same effect on NASB's fanbase as it did Smash's. If your reasons for checking out NASB include getting to talk about B-listers beyond "never happening, want Crash instead", you should be very, very worried about the concept of Goku getting in.
Nick's fanbase will be ok. Honestly, it does count for something. The only real candidates for NASB third party is Kungfu Panda, Monsters Vs Aliens and theoretically Inspector Gadget's since you mention. They were looked at as essential Nicktoons since they were aired by Nick, for what you makes of it. And to be frank, TNMT isn't relatively old to Nick so yeah. And now their seen as essential Nicktoons while relatively new to the network.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I feel that guests are possible for NASB, but not likely, and Goku and Doug certainly won't be on the radar. It'd probably be either something owned by a mega-licensing conglomerate with no particular brand image like WildBrain, or a vintage; somewhat irrelevant character from before the buyout era who's owners somehow managed to stay independent (a lot of newspaper comic and international characters would fit this bill)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Kappa Mikey is an ideal guest character tbh. The creator is open to it and it's probably not too hard to get. And it is a Nickelodeon show. Still don't see it though

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Kappa Mikey is an ideal guest character tbh. The creator is open to it and it's probably not too hard to get. And it is a Nickelodeon show. Still don't see it though
I still stand by Danger Mouse as the best choice - I did recently read that the Danger Mouse reboot was made by the same company that did Kappa Mikey too.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I feel that guests are possible for NASB, but not likely, and Goku and Doug certainly won't be on the radar. It'd probably be either something owned by a mega-licensing conglomerate with no particular brand image like WildBrain, or a vintage; somewhat irrelevant character from before the buyout era who's owners somehow managed to stay independent (a lot of newspaper comic and international characters would fit this bill)
Most of WildBrain's shows are other licensed or obscure, with the exception of the heavily divisive series Johnny Test.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
plus Smash has the extra factor of being a celebration of video games now, which is pretty cool to me.
Honestly, I lost interest in Smash exactly when it started trying to brand itself as a "celebration of gaming" in the first place. When it started feeling like no one could get in the game if they weren't the star of some well-known AAA franchise (i.e. around when Ultimate's DLC started), that was when I immediately stopped caring. It just made following the game so boring IMO; adding Sephiroth isn't exciting when every new character is a Sephiroth these days.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I'm not opposed to Smash ditching a majority of its 1P cast to become a real celebration of gaming... however, they've gotta devote to it. I'm talking international characters who never took off in Japan or the US but defined the culture they were popular in before the internet centralised gaming; characters from revolutionary games overshadowed because Nintendo or Sony did the same thing a few months later; characters from games that are and always were crap but left a major impact; things that don't really count as characters from games with none to work with; stuff from so long ago it's no longer marketably nostalgic; and - of course - characters with no prior ties to Nintendo. A real museum, not just cool, popular characters who sell DLC.

It'd also have to be multiplat.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I'm not opposed to Smash ditching a majority of its 1P cast to become a real celebration of gaming... however, they've gotta devote to it. I'm talking international characters who never took off in Japan or the US but defined the culture they were popular in before the internet centralised gaming; characters from revolutionary games overshadowed because Nintendo or Sony did the same thing a few months later; characters from games that are and always were crap but left a major impact; things that don't really count as characters from games with none to work with; stuff from so long ago it's no longer marketably nostalgic; and - of course - characters with no prior ties to Nintendo. A real museum, not just cool, popular characters who sell DLC.

It'd also have to be multiplat.
Do you ever have anything to say that isn't a dig at something popular?

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, I lost interest in Smash exactly when it started trying to brand itself as a "celebration of gaming" in the first place. When it started feeling like no one could get in the game if they weren't the star of some well-known AAA franchise (i.e. around when Ultimate's DLC started), that was when I immediately stopped caring. It just made following the game so boring IMO; adding Sephiroth isn't exciting when every new character is a Sephiroth these days.
That's an odd take.

I get the idea behind it, but it's odd.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The odd one out is The Wild Thornberrys, which Nick loved to shove into your face prior to the failure of Rugrats Go Wild but that doesn't translate into it getting the nostalgia pandering shows like Hey Arnold have gotten.
Well this aged poorly.
"NEW CHARACTER – Eliza Thornberry comes in with a new Wild Thornberrys court, new powers, and outfits"

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Well this aged poorly.
"NEW CHARACTER – Eliza Thornberry comes in with a new Wild Thornberrys court, new powers, and outfits"
This is the first time that Eliza is playable in a Nickelodeon crossover title since the infamous Nickelodeon Party Blast game.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
This is the first time that Eliza is playable in a Nickelodeon crossover title since the infamous Nickelodeon Party Blast game.
Yeah, and I thought Ludosity had to fight for Nigel partially because The Wild Thornberrys, like Aaahh!!! Real Monsters, is a B-lister among Nicktoons and Oblina being from A!RM is why Ludosity had to fight with Nick for her. Guess they just didn't understand why a group of devs savvy about internet culture wanted Nigel instead of Eliza.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Yeah, and I thought Ludosity had to fight for Nigel partially because The Wild Thornberrys, like Aaahh!!! Real Monsters, is a B-lister among Nicktoons and Oblina being from A!RM is why Ludosity had to fight with Nick for her. Guess they just didn't understand why a group of devs savvy about internet culture wanted Nigel instead of Eliza.
If they fought for him because he isn't the protagonist I guess they had to fight to get Helga and Reptar too and Nick wanted a roster of just main protagonists with SBSP, Avatar, and TMNT being the only series to have more than that.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Nick corporate have played into the Nigel meme before, I think it's just that Thornberrys as a whole was a hard sell and the reaction to Nigel in NASB made Eliza in Extreme Tennis a bit easier to pitch.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
To be fair, SR has to hire less voice actors, and of those VAs only Cam Clarke and Rob Paulsen could be super expensive. In NASB's case however we're looking at a game where characters have been voiced by Tom Kenny, Jim Cummings, Tim Curry, Billy West, and Frank Welker.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
I'd expect we hear about one of 'em relatively soon seeing as it's been almost three months since Shredder already. Maybe not like, this week soon, but within a month or so, I'd wager.
They did say there might be an update/news in April, so I guess we'll see.

Top Bottom