• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

D

Deleted member

I kind of get why MVS's roster is more leaning certain ways. Of course the modern CN characters are more recognisable, of course DC characters are more known right now. I just want to see some of those older and lesser known characters too.

Game of Thrones being in does feel a bit behind the times but hey they're still making that prequel lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I kind of get why MVS's roster is more leaning certain ways. Of course the modern CN characters are more recognisable, of course DC characters are more likely to sell. I just want to see some of those older and lesser known characters too.
MVS is pretty much a game that's telling me not to play it-the roster is, again, too safe and corporate, I know what a game being "free to play" actually means, and I don't do doubles so its teamplay focus doesn't do much for me.

It's no wonder I didn't jump ship and start making support threads for Austin Powers or Xavier: Renegade Angel.

D

Deleted member

I'm willing to actually see the base roster before I make any judgements but I do have some worries.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'm willing to actually see the base roster before I make any judgements but I do have some worries.
I can't imagine it being that much bigger than what's been leaked if at all. 39 is already an absurdly high number for a first entry in a fighting game, even if NASB had twice the budget+devtime I'd imagine it'd only have 25 characters at launch.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I think a WB platform fighter really should have focused on animation, due to the inherit slapstick nature of platform fighters, not stuff like LeBron James, Game of Thrones and Stranger Things. Like what the hell is this roster, this is just the Space Jam 2 "throw in everything who gives a damn" method again.
That's what I immediately thought the moment I saw Multiversus, especially now that LeBron himself is in. The fact that they already have 3rd party choices lined up in a game where so many big characters (CN or not) are missing really shows the lack of cohesion.

I can't imagine it being that much bigger than what's been leaked if at all. 39 is already an absurdly high number for a first entry in a fighting game, even if NASB had twice the budget+devtime I'd imagine it'd only have 25 characters at launch.
It feels a lot like "let's see how much money we can throw at it!"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think one day someone will crack this platform fighter thing (aside from Nintendo). Who that is I have no idea lol

LimeTH

Smash Lord
That's what I immediately thought the moment I saw Multiversus, especially now that LeBron himself is in. The fact that they already have 3rd party choices lined up in a game where so many big characters (CN or not) are missing really shows the lack of cohesion.

It feels a lot like "let's see how much money we can throw at it!"
This is the problem I had towards the end of Ultimate's DLC cycle. Once "anyone" can get in, that basically kills any sort of coherent speculation, and everyone is just shouting character names at each other. Multiversus is giving itself this problem right off the bat.

With NASB, there's a much more limited pool than I bet even we think there is, and I think that both helps it and hurts it. Hurts in that there probably isn't that many viable choices left, helps in that this does breed a lot of discussion about which of those choices will make it and in what way.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I don't have a problem with guest characters on paper, but guest characters in a roster that's lacking in good rep for its main IP/company... that's stupid. CTR:NF has every playable character in Crash racing history and a lot of wonderful deep cuts, it earned that Spyro cameo. As much as I dislike SSBU's lack of direction (and as a whole TBH), it does at least have a good Nintendo roster to justify the mostly-guest DLC with notable absences being countable on one hand (Waluigi, Tingle, Excitebiker, Impa, maaaybe Gengar or Eevee?). But then you look at MVS which doesn't even have Neo; Harry Potter; Fred Flintstone; or Daffy Duck trying to do it and it's just sad. Reminds me a little of Mario Kart 8 - not even scraping the bottom of the barrel, just pouring all the juicy wine in the barrel down the sink after a quick sip and getting another barrel entirely.

I guess MVS doesn't want to be seen as "the Warner Bros. platform fighter", but in that case they should've just revealed the "guests" off the bat.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't have a problem with guest characters on paper, but guest characters in a roster that's lacking in good rep for its main IP/company... that's stupid. CTR:NF has every playable character in Crash racing history and a lot of wonderful deep cuts, it earned that Spyro cameo. As much as I dislike SSBU's lack of direction (and as a whole TBH), it does at least have a good Nintendo roster to justify the mostly-guest DLC with notable absences being countable on one hand (Waluigi, Tingle, Excitebiker, Impa, maaaybe Gengar or Eevee?). But then you look at MVS which doesn't even have Neo; Harry Potter; Fred Flintstone; or Daffy Duck trying to do it and it's just sad. Reminds me a little of Mario Kart 8 - not even scraping the bottom of the barrel, just pouring all the juicy wine in the barrel down the sink after a quick sip and getting another barrel entirely.
Iirc in an interview they said they didn't put the Warner name on the game for a reason so I'm not super surprised. I think the plan is that eventually this won't be a wb game but a "popular things" fighting game.

It's like that "I saw thing I recognised and I clapped" rlm gif,

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
It's gotta be Meowth, man.
Give us Gens 3 and 5, along with a BETTER Gen 2 rep.

But yeah, I agree with the point that Smash Ultimate's DLC in general had a lack of direction to it. Especially when two of the three first party choices could've been given to ore notable absences (and Min Min's inclusion still failed to revitalize ARMS).

That aside, what we really need right now is some new content. The competitive scene has been eating good with balance patches, but most players don't care about those. We need something new to talk about, and some kind of information on how the DLC is gonna play out.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Give us Gens 3 and 5, along with a BETTER Gen 2 rep.
Oh I agree, Pokemon's character rep in Smash is ridiculously scattershot and plenty of the gens deserve reps or better reps than they have.

I'm just saying in terms of "very prominent Nintendo character who isn't playable yet" Meowth stands out.

He's thinking from a Pokemon Company marketing perspective, not a Smash fan one.
That too I guess, but mostly the first thing.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Oh I agree, Pokemon's character rep in Smash is ridiculously scattershot and plenty of the gens deserve reps or better reps than they have.

I'm just saying in terms of "very prominent Nintendo character who isn't playable yet" Meowth stands out.
That is true! This is going off topic, but I think Meowth should've been the second original 12 Pokemon instead of Jigglypuff.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
That is true! This is going off topic, but I think Meowth should've been the second original 12 Pokemon instead of Jigglypuff.
If I could trade any current Kanto Pokemon in the roster with Meowth, yeah it'd probably have to end up being Jigglypuff. You can't not have Pikachu, Mewtwo and Charizard

Going back on topic...
I think the plan is that eventually this won't be a wb game but a "popular things" fighting game.
So that kind of proves my point if it's true. There's no real way to speculate. All you can do is see what random popular character they want to advertise gets added in this time.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
That too I guess, but mostly the first thing.
Well it's a major problem in why Pokemon can't get "perfect" representation. Even if Melee had more time for instance, Pichu would be replaced with Marill, Togepi, or just be Pichu again with more distinct moves.

And quite frankly I think it's rather hypocritical to think Jigglypuff is outdated while thinking Meowth should take priority over Eevee. Meowth shilling is mostly restricted to the anime nowadays, while Eevee shilling is far beyond that.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
And quite frankly I think it's rather hypocritical to think Jigglypuff is outdated while thinking Meowth should take priority over Eevee. Meowth shilling is mostly restricted to the anime nowadays, while Eevee shilling is far beyond that.
I definitely get that. They've been slowly pushing Meowth just a little bit more in the games lately, but he's been appearing less often in the anime (while every new companion lately has gotten an Eevee), and I won't deny that his window of opportunity has passed.

It's weird they don't put him to Eevee level status since he's been Pikachu's rival for 25 years, but I can't tell with TPC anymore.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It's weird they don't put him to Eevee level status since he's been Pikachu's rival for 25 years, but I can't tell with TPC anymore.
It probably helps that Meowth is only "Pikachu's rival" within the context of the anime and a couple manga adaptations, and the anime is no longer the biggest piece of Pokemon media.

anyway uhhh this is a thread about YTV Celebrity Melee isn't it

here's some item concepts from the discord, discuss

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has absolutely no interest in Multiversus so far. The roster we've seen so far is about the safest, most bland thing I can imagine for a WB crossover game, and what we've seen in the datamines frankly doesn't give me much confidence. Of course I'm not an idiot, I know MVS is a live service game and they'll be adding more characters in the future, but if this is the hand they're opening with, I'm not too convinced they've got anything cooler up their sleeve. Maybe if they actually showed us some gameplay, I would be driven to care just a tad.
Multiversus isn't going to "kill NASB", nor is it going to fizzle out and die instantly - the reaction will be "no items and final smashes?", jerks will clown on the people still playing it with SteamCharts for a few months, and like NASB it's gonna end up finding its own small niche away from the public eye once people move on to getting hyped for, and inevitably turning on, WildBrain Superstars Slamfest
Honestly, I think MVS is gonna do way better for itself than NASB is simply because it's free-to-play. I mean, Brawlhalla's basically the only platfighter to pull anything resembling Smash numbers, and that probably owes mainly to the fact that it's free and has a bunch of random brands attached to it (y'know, like Multiversus). That said, if the devs don't start actually marketing the damn thing, interest is gonna fizzle out FAST - if anything, I'd argue it already has, seeing how barely anyone brings it up these days except to dunk on NASB (which would make it SUPER funny if it just dies in a month like NASB did).
Also it feels like a "look at all the stuff we own" hodgepodge of characters rather than something with a coherent theme or link tying the characters together like Smash and NASB have. When anyone can make it in, it makes it harder to really care.
This is exactly where I've been with MVS since day 1, and the leaks have done nothing to convince me otherwise. There's no theme here, it's just an incoherent mishmash of random **** that WB owns - and even stuff that it doesn't own, if the datamines are to be believed. And even despite this, the actual variety in terms of character choices is just terrible; almost all the characters that we know of are main protagonists, and every single character in the known roster is either super current and "marketable" or they're so iconic that it doesn't even matter. Where are all the weird picks? You're telling me that Velma is as adventurous as they're willing to get with these roster picks when NASB was willing to reveal Powdered Toast Man before the stars of the series he's from? I said when this game was first announced that if you're not into DC, Game of Thrones, or post-2010 Cartoon Network, there just isn't much of anything here for you, and that's still like 90% of the problem I have with this roster. And then there's the fact that they're already adding a bunch of random OCs to the mix when they're only barely dipping their toe in the practically endless well of WB properties as-is. Freakin' YAWN. It's to the point that even if I did try and pick up Multiversus, I legit don't know who I'd play. Nobody stands out to me as a "yo I wanna main that guy!" pick so far, datamines included. A game focused around a specific brand or series that I like (like, say, Cartoon Network!) wouldn't have this problem.
I think Multiversus' roster vs. NASB's is definitive proof that less is more. The leaks include a Netflix character, a real life NBA player, and more OCs, but no one from pre-2010s CN/AS (there is zero overlap between the rosters of MVS and PTE and I hate that) and no one from Midway. If anything there's too many characters on the table.

In contrast, NASB being restricted to Nicktoons helps there be resources they can dedicate to cartoons like Aaahh!!! Real Monsters and The Wild Thornberrys, as well as a secondary R&S character, and that TWT rep being Nigel helped people have hope for even memeier choices, most notably Hugh.
This is why I say every crossover needs to have a cohesive theme to it. You can't just make "a crossover," otherwise you fall into the Fortnite syndrome where you're just throwing a bunch of random popular things at the wall and seeing what sticks. When Multiversus is apparently already adding characters like Godzilla and goddamn LeBron James, that's what I see happening here. It also just makes discussion surrounding the game super tiring, where you could say anyone from TF2 Heavy to ****ing Al Roker has a chance of being in the game and nobody would be able to argue with you because it's just true. They've already established the precedent that they're just adding whoever the hell they feel like, so what's the point of even speculating?

Like imagine if we didn't have NASB, but instead we had Paramount+ Pummel or whatever. We'd have SpongeBob in there, maybe Patrick if we're lucky, but beyond that, what hope is there for fans of other Nickelodeon shows, let alone deep cuts like Aaahh!!! Real Monsters and The Wild Thornberrys? If you're a fan of Nickelodeon, but don't care about any of the other stuff Viacom owns, you're not gonna care unless you're willing to buy the game just because SpongeBob's in it. Now imagine that game ALSO had a bunch of random OCs in it, plus a bunch of characters not even owned by Viacom, plus a cameo from David Hasslehoff. Not very appealing, is it?
A lack of CN reps is gonna be a huge problem for MVS - from what I've observed, CN is really what people are most interested in from MVS, but WB have a bit of an aversion to merchandising and reintroducing their more recent animated legacy content, (which is weird because that's literally what CN was created to do) best shown by Space Jam 2 being completely Cartoon Cartoon-free, old or new. When MVS was revealed I was honestly super surprised AT and SU characters made it in just from Space Jam 2's prescident alone. It's a conflict of what fans want and what the suits want to promote.

I guess it's mostly a case of Nick not having many animated big hitters nowadays, so they benefit a lot from encouraging kids to dig up their earlier stuff if they want a 'toon fix - CN are still making hits with fandoms more devoted than anything they've made before so there isn't exactly much need for Ed, Edd n' Eddy Funko Pops or Cow & Chicken lanyards. As much as I hate to say it, even if MVS was just PTE 2 it'd probably be laser-focused on the 2010s with maybe Courage or a bit of OG Ben 10/PPG content if we're lucky.
Honestly the lack of CN reps is the main thing preventing me from giving Multiversus a shot at the moment. There are only four (five?) CN characters that we know of, and they're all from the same two (three?) series and we've got nothing from before 2010 (ok, the pilot for Adventure Time technically aired in 2009, that still hardly counts). Are you honestly telling me you couldn't swing a Grim or a Dracula, a Johnny Bravo, an Ed, Edd, and/or Eddy instead of adding your ninth ****ing DC character? As someone who was actually interested in the prospect of a potential Punch Time Explosion 2, Multiversus is a SEVERE disappointment in that regard since it not only has barely any CN content as-is, but it also effectively shoots down the idea of another PTE game happening within the next century. Simply put, when the devs have already set the precedent that they're only adding characters that are iconic and/or current, what hope is there for people who like things that are neither iconic nor current, like any of the Cartoon Cartoons? Shows like Ed Edd n Eddy, Samurai Jack, and The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy are important to the Cartoon Network brand, but they aren't important to a massive conglomerate like WB, which is why they aren't getting in until way later, if ever.
This is my biggest hang up so far.

I love Adventure Time and Steven Universe and I'm thrilled that anything CN got in at all, but I'm such a big mark for 90's-early 2000s Cartoon Network that if they completely leave those characters out or go for lesser versions of them like the 2016 reboot Powerpuff Girls, that doesn't leave a whole lot for me to be excited about among all the frankly bizarre random choices in the leak.

I think a WB platform fighter really should have focused on animation, due to the inherit slapstick nature of platform fighters, not stuff like LeBron James, Game of Thrones and Stranger Things. Like what the hell is this roster, this is just the Space Jam 2 "throw in everything who gives a damn" method again.

I know that's just me though, for all I know that's someone's dream roster.
I remember saying when MVS was first revealed that it would probably be the Space Jam 2 of video games. Seems I was more right about that than I ever could've known 😂
I think one day someone will crack this platform fighter thing (aside from Nintendo). Who that is I have no idea lol
Uhh, dude, Aether Studios is RIGHT there. (Also Fraymakers, which is going to be an ABSOLUTE banger.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has absolutely no interest in Multiversus so far. The roster we've seen so far is about the safest, most bland thing I can imagine for a WB crossover game, and what we've seen in the datamines frankly doesn't give me any confidence. Maybe if they actually showed us some gameplay, I would be driven to care just a tad.

Honestly, I think MV is gonna do way better for itself than NASB is simply because it's free-to-play. I mean, Brawlhalla's basically the only platfighter to pull anything resembling Smash numbers, and that probably owes mainly to the fact that it's free and has a bunch of random brands attached to it (y'know, like Multiversus). That said, if the devs don't start actually marketing the damn thing, interest is gonna fizzle out FAST - if anything, I'd argue it already has, seeing how barely anyone brings it up these days except to dunk on NASB (which would make it SUPER funny if it just dies in a month like NASB did).

This is exactly where I've been with MV since day 1, and the leaks have done nothing to convince me otherwise. There's no theme here, it's just an incoherent mishmash of random **** that WB owns - and even stuff that it doesn't own, if the datamines are to be believed. And even despite this, the actual variety in terms of character choices is just terrible; almost all the characters that we know of are protagonists, and every single character in the known roster is either super current and "marketable" or they're so iconic that it doesn't even matter. Where are all the weird picks? You're telling me that Velma is as adventurous as they're willing to get with these roster picks when NASB was willing to reveal Powdered Toast Man before the stars of the series he's from? I said when this game was first announced that if you're not into DC, Game of Thrones, or post-2010 Cartoon Network, there just isn't much of anything here for you, and that's still like 98% of the problem I have with this roster. And then there's the fact that they're already adding a bunch of random OCs to the mix when they're only barely dipping their toe in the practically endless well of WB properties as-is. Freakin' YAWN. It's to the point that even if I did try and pick up Multiversus, I legit don't know who I'd play. Nobody stands out to me as a "yo I wanna main that guy!" pick so far, datamines included.

This is why I say every crossover needs to have a cohesive theme to it. You can't just make "a crossover," otherwise you fall into the Fortnite syndrome where you're just throwing a bunch of random popular things at the wall and seeing what sticks. When Multiversus is apparently already adding characters like Godzilla and goddamn LeBron James, that's what I see happening here. It also just makes discussion surrounding the game super tiring, where you could say anyone from TF2 Heavy to ****ing Al Roker has a chance of being in the game and nobody would be able to argue with you because it's just true. They've already established the precedent that they're just adding whoever the hell they feel like, so what's the point of even speculating?

Honestly the lack of CN reps is the main thing preventing me from giving Multiversus a shot at the moment. There are only four (five?) CN characters that we know of, and they're all from the same two (three?) series and we've got nothing from before 2010 (ok, the pilot for Adventure Time technically aired in 2009, that still hardly counts). Are you honestly telling me you couldn't swing a Grim or a Dracula, a Johnny Bravo, an Ed, Edd, and/or Eddy instead of adding your ninth ****ing DC character? As someone who was actually interested in the prospect of a potential Punch Time Explosion 2, Multiversus is a SEVERE disappointment in that regard since it not only has barely any CN content as-is, but it also effectively shoots down the idea of another PTE game happening within the next century. Simply put, when the devs have already set the precedent that they're only adding characters that are iconic and/or current, what hope is there for people who like things that are neither iconic nor current, like any of the Cartoon Cartoons? Shows like Ed Edd n Eddy, Samurai Jack, and The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy are important to the Cartoon Network brand, but they aren't important to a massive conglomerate like WB, which is why they aren't getting in until way later, if ever.

I remember saying when MV was first revealed that it would probably be the Space Jam 2 of video games. Seems I was more right about that than I ever could've known 😂

Uhh, dude, Aether Studios is RIGHT there. (Also Fraymakers, which is going to be an ABSOLUTE banger.)
I meant more in a "breaking into the mainstream" sense. I'm sure Aether is very good I just have ittle interest. (Freymakers seems promising)

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I meant more in a "breaking into the mainstream" sense. I'm sure Aether is very good I just have ittle interest. (Freymakers seems promising)
Oh, I know. I don't expect any platform fighter to break Smash numbers because Smash is Smash and it's frankly too big to fail at this point. That said, in terms of quality, we've already got a bunch of platfighters that are even better than Smash IMO, and things are only looking better in the future.

D

Deleted member

Oh, I know. I don't expect any platform fighter to break Smash numbers because Smash is Smash and it's frankly too big to fail at this point. That said, in terms of quality, we've already got a bunch of platfighters that are even better than Smash IMO, and things are only looking better in the future.
I think fighting games in general are just pretty niche. But we're also kind of in a new era for the genre and I see good things in the future.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think fighting games in general are just pretty niche
Yes, they are. GG Strive for instance is supposed to be much simpler than previous GGs, and yet it still didn't break a million sales AFAIK. The traditional fighters that are multimillion sellers are mostly games that've been HUGE since the 90s.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has absolutely no interest in Multiversus so far. The roster we've seen so far is about the safest, most bland thing I can imagine for a WB crossover game, and what we've seen in the datamines frankly doesn't give me any confidence. Maybe if they actually showed us some gameplay, I would be driven to care just a tad.

Honestly, I think MV is gonna do way better for itself than NASB is simply because it's free-to-play. I mean, Brawlhalla's basically the only platfighter to pull anything resembling Smash numbers, and that probably owes mainly to the fact that it's free and has a bunch of random brands attached to it (y'know, like Multiversus). That said, if the devs don't start actually marketing the damn thing, interest is gonna fizzle out FAST - if anything, I'd argue it already has, seeing how barely anyone brings it up these days except to dunk on NASB (which would make it SUPER funny if it just dies in a month like NASB did).

This is exactly where I've been with MV since day 1, and the leaks have done nothing to convince me otherwise. There's no theme here, it's just an incoherent mishmash of random **** that WB owns - and even stuff that it doesn't own, if the datamines are to be believed. And even despite this, the actual variety in terms of character choices is just terrible; almost all the characters that we know of are protagonists, and every single character in the known roster is either super current and "marketable" or they're so iconic that it doesn't even matter. Where are all the weird picks? You're telling me that Velma is as adventurous as they're willing to get with these roster picks when NASB was willing to reveal Powdered Toast Man before the stars of the series he's from? I said when this game was first announced that if you're not into DC, Game of Thrones, or post-2010 Cartoon Network, there just isn't much of anything here for you, and that's still like 90% of the problem I have with this roster. And then there's the fact that they're already adding a bunch of random OCs to the mix when they're only barely dipping their toe in the practically endless well of WB properties as-is. Freakin' YAWN. It's to the point that even if I did try and pick up Multiversus, I legit don't know who I'd play. Nobody stands out to me as a "yo I wanna main that guy!" pick so far, datamines included. A game focused around a specific brand or series that I like (like, say, Cartoon Network!) wouldn't have this problem.

Like imagine if we didn't have NASB, but instead we had Paramount+ Pummel or whatever. We'd have SpongeBob in there, maybe Patrick if we're lucky, but beyond that, what hope is there for fans of other Nickelodeon shows, let alone deep cuts like Aaahh!!! Real Monsters and The Wild Thornberrys? If you're a fan of Nickelodeon, but don't care about any of the other stuff Viacom owns, you're not gonna care unless you're willing to buy the game just because SpongeBob is in it. Now imagine that game ALSO had a bunch of random OCs in it, plus a bunch of characters not even owned by Viacom, plus a cameo from Jerry Seinfeld. Not very appealing, is it?

I remember saying when MV was first revealed that it would probably be the Space Jam 2 of video games. Seems I was more right about that than I ever could've known 😂

If this is true, I can't believe they're seriously putting in nine DC characters. That is more than Fire Emblem has in Smash, and this is the BASE ROSTER.

Marvin the Martian is pretty cool though. Glad to see them.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Almost every major studio movie these days is a superhero thing (and I say this as someone who's a fan, I kind of need a break from them lol) so I'm not surprised dc takes up so much of the roster.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If this is true, I can't believe they're seriously putting in nine DC characters. That is literally more than Fire Emblem has in Smash, and this is the BASE ROSTER
Well, what did you expect? MVS wants a safe roster and at least half of those superheroes/villains are indeed super-safe choices.

D

Deleted member

I'll say Poison Ivy and Static over some more obvious characters like Flash or Aquaman is kind of neat at Kents but that's mostly because Ivy is one of my favourite batman villains lol.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I really relate to the Nick Allstar bunch on the current topic. Finn and Steven by default has me on a safer edge, but I really just wanted classic 90s/early 2000s Cartoon Network reps. And its also frustrating I will probably never see the likes of Buster Bunny, Osmosis or Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends in MV's.

In terms of essential focus and nostalgia of certain familiarity, NASB has this nailed and mastered because its intend is richly clear and simple. The MV's speculation cycle is all over the place and literally tedium.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Yeah, I can see where you guys are coming from regarding the roster; without some sort of consistent theme outside of just "Warner Bros.", this could very well end up being a mess.

Not to mention, looking at the leaked characters across the board, there's not really a lot that's all that surprising; we've got Adventure Time, Steven Universe, DC, Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry, Scooby-Doo, etc. There aren't really any characters that make me got "What?!" the same way when I first saw Powdered Toast Man in All-Star Brawl's reveal trailer.

Honestly, if it were me, I'd stick to the animated properties; at least then, there's some cohesion and the possibility of older CN characters and properties getting in.

So yeah, while I'd still probably give it a shot if it were coming to the Switch (which, as far as I can tell, it still isn't) and if I knew more about the Free-to-Play model, I can understand why this roster feels too safe.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Almost every major studio movie these days is a superhero thing (and I say this as someone who's a fan, I kind of need a break from them lol) so I'm not surprised dc takes up so much of the roster.
its been a few years since my two favourite studios released super heroes films

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
We'd have SpongeBob in there, maybe Patrick if we're lucky, but beyond that, what hope is there for fans of other Nickelodeon shows,
I'd think we'd also have Avatar and TMNT reps, but that's it. R&S might get in because of their legacy and the upcoming CC revival, but if you want animated fart jokes that air on Comedy Central, you'd be more likely to have to rely on South Park in such a game. And they'd be alone, no Powdered Toast Man.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
One of the biggest things bothering me with the lack of CN representation is didn't the original leaks for the game include Johnny Bravo? What happened to him?

Otherwise, I'm just shocked they couldn't at least pull for Dexter, one of the PPG, or Samurai Jack. How is it that not even Samurai Jack gets in?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

One of the biggest things bothering me with the lack of CN representation is didn't the original leaks for the game include Johnny Bravo? What happened to him?

Otherwise, I'm just shocked they couldn't at least pull for Dexter, one of the PPG or even Samurai Jack.
He, Mad Max and Fred Flinstone where in that leak but haven't been seen since. It's possible they're still in and got held back for dlc (we know they're already planning that) or they where just wrong. This was the same leak that claimed this would be an NRS game which turned out not to be true.

Said leak also said Harry Potter content was in the works but talks fell apart/stalled.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Johnny Bravo not avaliable on HBO Max? It possible he may have been cut for reasons relating to that, whether that's to avoid controversy (even though just watching the show - scratch that, the intro of the show - would put any fear to rest about the character glorifying pick-up artistry, at least any more than Ed, Edd, n' Eddy glorify deceptive marketing) or just because the point of the game is to promote HBO Max I don't know.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I do think that Multiversus's roster is far too safe, predictable, and corporate. NASB had a lot of out there picks like Powdered Toast Man, Nigel, Oblina, and April, and they turned out to be among the coolest and most unique fighters on the roster.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I've been reading the conversations here and you all do bring up some valid complaints about MultiVersus. But to be fair, the game hasn't even been out yet. Not to mention we aren't sure if all the leaked characters will be in the game, plus there could be characters that haven't been leaked. And of course as the game covers more ground on more IPs, we could see the devs go for more niche material. I know this game currently feels very "corporate" but again it's very early in the speculation cycle so there are a lot of unknown factors.

As for the game being very random and having no theme to it, I do want to point out that the majority of the leaked characters do have some kind of Warner Bros connection so I feel there is still something that narrows down the list of possible candidates. Yes I'm aware of certain characters being leaked that have zero connections with WB, but to be fair the information on them is limited and there is the chance that they don't happen due to some legal complications. Of course Warner Bros' IPs are varied so there is still not going to be a specific theme other than the WB connection, but isn't that part of the fun? We are living in a timeline where Batman can team up with Ultra Instinct Shaggy to fight Tom and Jerry and Arya Stark. And even if only half the leaked characters comes true, then there will still be an insane amount of wacky matchups. Personally I find that very exciting. Now I'm not gonna tell people what to do, but I do encourage you all to stay optimistic for MultiVersus as again, there is still very little we know about the game so it's an exciting period we are in where we don't even know what the DLC is going to look like.

Lastly, I understand there isn't a lot to discuss about NASB at the moment, but I wanted to let you all know we do welcome you to the MultiVersus general thread. It's not that active at the moment, so we would appreciate more opinions on the game over there.

Top Bottom