• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
NASB strikes a healthy balance between corporate and safe picks like SpongeBob and Lincoln Loud and more out there choices like Nigel Thornberry and Oblina. That's the kind of roster I want to see in a platform fighter.
And they may be corporate but they're still popular and iconic, Spongebob especially!

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I've been reading the conversations here and you all do bring up some valid complaints about MultiVersus. But to be fair, the game hasn't even been out yet. Not to mention we aren't sure if all the leaked characters will be in the game, plus there could be characters that haven't been leaked. And of course as the game covers more ground on more IPs, we could see the devs go for more niche material. I know this game currently feels very "corporate" but again it's very early in the speculation cycle so there are a lot of unknown factors.

As for the game being very random and having no theme to it, I do want to point out that the majority of the leaked characters do have some kind of Warner Bros connection so I feel there is still something that narrows down the list of possible candidates. Yes I'm aware of certain characters being leaked that have zero connections with WB, but to be fair the information on them is limited and there is the chance that they don't happen due to some legal complications. Of course Warner Bros' IPs are varied so there is still not going to be a specific theme other than the WB connection, but isn't that part of the fun? We are living in a timeline where Batman can team up with Ultra Instinct Shaggy to fight Tom and Jerry and Arya Stark. And even if only half the leaked characters comes true, then there will still be an insane amount of wacky matchups. Personally I find that very exciting. Now I'm not gonna tell people what to do, but I do encourage you all to stay optimistic for MultiVersus as again, there is still very little we know about the game so it's an exciting period we are in where we don't even know what the DLC is going to look like.

Lastly, I understand there isn't a lot to discuss about NASB at the moment, but I wanted to let you all know we do welcome you to the MultiVersus general thread. It's not that active at the moment, so we would appreciate more opinions on the game over there.
These are all valid points, and I'm not gonna go full-on doomer mode over a game that isn't even out yet. If the game comes out and there's nothing in it for me, big deal, I just won't play it. I'd LIKE to see some 2000's CN representation, but if we don't get that, I'm not gonna take to the streets yelling at people who do like the game to quit having fun. That's honestly part of why I'm hesitant to take my opinions about the game to the MVS general thread since I don't wanna rain on anyone's parade; I certainly don't think we'd like it if a bunch of people flooded this thread saying why they don't like our game.

Personally, I'm not big on the whole "wacky matchups" take on crossovers anyway. If I just wanted to see LeBron James, Shaggy, Gandalf, and Godzilla on the same screen, I'd go on Deviantart. That's not inherently interesting to me; there has to be some sort of connective tissue there for me to be interested. Whereas NASB specifically targets Nickelodeon fans, Multiversus seemingly doesn't target anyone in particular and just fires a shotgun spread of popular IPs hoping to catch as many people as possible in the blast. Personally, I feel that approach ends up spreading itself too thin in that fans of any individual IP are now coming away with table scraps (unless you're a DC fan, apparently) whereas a game that specifically appeals to fans of that IP would inherently be a lot more satisfying. As the old adage goes, if you try to please everyone, you'll please no one.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I do think that Multiversus's roster is far too safe, predictable, and corporate. NASB had a lot of out there picks like Powdered Toast Man, Nigel, Oblina, and April, and they turned out to be among the coolest and most unique fighters on the roster.
It's crazy to me how this game has the Iron Giant in it, something that WOULD be considered an out there fan favorite pick... if they hadn't been using the Giant as their go-to "this is a big crossover!" character lately, while completely missing the point of the Giant as a character. They made the ****ing Iron Giant a safe, corporate pick.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm wondering what this next patch will add. Crossplay is a given, but I wonder what else will come.

DeviousFish

Smash Apprentice
i missed out an entire mvs discussion, and i already know what it was about without even reading it

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Nick's promoting the game being on sale on Steam
Very nice of them that after an entire dev cycle of not giving the devs the time or money that they needed, resulting in the game losing nearly its entire playerbase within weeks due to it being barebones at launch, Nick decided to finally patch things up by acknowledging the game in a tweet.
Thanks, Nick. We really appreciate it.

UserKev

Smash Champion
One last request for NASB to get unlimited thumbs up by me: Give me a Dora and Blues Clues stage. If Buster Bunny or Goku by miracle get in, will really break the surface of NASB's untapped potential. Tiny Toon has strong Nick history and Goku is practically orange and fits the Nick theme aesthetic. I want a familiar product over a overstuffed cookie.

D

Deleted member

One last request for NASB to get unlimited thumbs up by me: Give me a Dora and Blues Clues stage. If Buster Bunny or Goku by miracle get in, will really break the surface of NASB's untapped potential. Tiny Toon has strong Nick history and Goku is practically orange and fits the Nick theme aesthetic. I want a familiar product over a overstuffed cookie.
Isn't Tiny Toons wb?

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Tiny Toons has strong Nick history. If not MVs, NASB is an easy replacement. Tiny Toon in MV isn't likely.
Honestly, if NASB is gonna get a WB cameo somehow they may as well go the full mile and just get a CN rep; Bugs; Fred Flintstone; or Tom & Jerry - I don't really care for "connections" in guest characters, same reason I'd prefer Simba or Buzz over Doug.

Looney Tunes was a big deal on Nick at one point too anyway.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
will really break the surface of NASB's untapped potential
More like make it really difficult to talk about characters Nick actually owns, making history repeat itself. As would this:
Honestly, if NASB is gonna get a WB cameo somehow they may as well go the full mile and just get a CN rep; Bugs; Fred Flintstone; or Tom & Jerry - I don't really care for "connections" in guest characters, same reason I'd prefer Simba or Buzz over Doug.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

they’ve covered all bases there
Worth noting everything is from series already in the game aside from rocko and Jimmy Neutron. I don't think this means we aren't getting any new series though. It just means those two are pretty likely

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Worth noting everything is from series already in the game aside from rocko and Jimmy Neutron. I don't think this means we aren't getting any new series though. It just means those two are pretty likely
could be like what they did with xander mobus and smash where they got them to record so much stuff they can’t leak who’s coming

D

Deleted member

could be like what they did with xander mobus and smash where they got them to record so much stuff they can’t leak who’s coming
That's most definitely what it is. I don't think most of those are planned. But the presence of Jimmy and Rocko does make those seires pretty likely for DLC imo"(since no other series that aren't in the game are present)

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
That's most definitely what it is. I don't think most of those are planned. But the presence of Jimmy and Rocko does make those seires pretty likely for DLC imo"(since no other series that aren't in the game are present)
In the case of Rocko, there's also a datamined Suck-O-Matic item. Nicktoons crossovers prefer focusing only on series with playable characters in them, with those that have none only getting minor cameos at best. More minor than an item, that is.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Rocko's update, whenever he's added, will probably come with the items as well. TCRF still shows them with their MS Paint placeholders. But most of the items (such as the aforementioned Suck O Matic) have had their image files updated in later patches, sporting nicer 3D model art.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
No, but I think they were trying to stick to who Nickelodeon wouldn't argue with them over adding to NASB. Looking at the announcer clips, you have characters from:

• SpongeBob
  • Rugrats
  • TMNT
  • Danny Phantom
  • Invader Zim
  • Rocko's Modern Life
All of which are series Nick REALLY likes to remind you of, and Jimmy's been catching up recently with it finally getting a movie Blu-Ray+Complete Series DVD boxset and I believe Nick's Roblox thing features JN representation too. The odd one out is The Wild Thornberrys, which Nick loved to shove into your face prior to the failure of Rugrats Go Wild but that doesn't translate into it getting the nostalgia pandering shows like Hey Arnold have gotten.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
...Yeah, I think I've said this before, but in my opinion, All-Star Brawl as it is should focus on Nick-owned stuff and not worry about third-parties until they get more experience in; it's still only the one game, and I feel that getting third-parties at this stage would be stretching things a bit.

Besides, regardless of any sort of history the show may have, I feel Tiny Toons has a better shot at being in MultiVersus than All-Star Brawl right now.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
regardless of any sort of history the show may have,
It's just one of many shows Nick has reran. I wouldn't consider its Nick history any more or less stronger than Inspector Gadget's.

What I mainly worry about is third-parties having the same effect on NASB's fanbase as it did Smash's. If your reasons for checking out NASB include getting to talk about B-listers beyond "never happening, want Crash instead", you should be very, very worried about the concept of Goku getting in.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
It's just one of many shows Nick has reran. I wouldn't consider its Nick history any more or less stronger than Inspector Gadget's.

What I mainly worry about is third-parties having the same effect on NASB's fanbase as it did Smash's. If your reasons for checking out NASB include getting to talk about B-listers beyond "never happening, want Crash instead", you should be very, very worried about the concept of Goku getting in.
Honestly, I feel Smash and Mortal Kombat ruined the concept of guest characters. Once they were this fun thing when they were handled in moderation - one or two per game, never to return again - but now it's kinda expected that having one will create a slippery slipe you can never climb back up of guest after guest after guest with the main IP getting no love.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Honestly, I feel Smash and Mortal Kombat ruined the concept of guest characters. Once they were this fun thing when they were handled in moderation - one or two per game, never to return again - but now it's kinda expected that having one will create a slippery slipe you can never climb back up of guest after guest after guest with the main IP getting no love.
MK didn't abuse the concept of guest characters being more hype as much as SSBU has. At least half of 11's DLC characters are actual MK characters. (7 MK characters vs. 5 guests)

D

Deleted member

MK does have an element of "look who we got!" where it overshadows the MK characters, that I think some hard-core fans dislike (though let's be honest, there are only so many MK characters who would really sell as DLC).

It's funny because I remember people being annoyed when Freddy got revealed for 9 but now it's just such a big part of the NRS cycle.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Agreed. Guest characters used to feel like, well, guests, someone special who shows up for a unique occasion but doesn't define the tone of the event itself. Nowadays, though, a game can't have a guest character without taking away from the original focus of the game itself and giving way to people shouting "where's Goku?" Before you know it, every game is an incoherent brand-fest even when that wasn't what it was in the first place. It's why I honest-to-god prefer games with wholly original rosters and maybe a few guest characters to full-blown crossover events - Rivals of Aether strikes a perfect balance in my opinion where it only has two guest fighters and they both bring their own unique gimmicks and locales from their respective games, making them truly feel like "guests" and not just a random "look who we got!" IP flex. They don't open the floodgates for people asking for characters like Mario or Sonic or whoever because that's not what the game is about, even despite their inclusions.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
though let's be honest, there are only so many MK characters who would really sell as DLC
MK's been able to take risks with selling its own characters as DLC for its own series. Bo Rai Cho is considered one of the worst parts of the worst MK Era (and Ed Boon would agree with that)...and yet he was DLC for MKX.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Shaun the Sheep, photorealistic car, Japanese magazine Bubsy, and random anime girl in Mario Maker >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Link and Isabelle in Mario Kart
You say that like MK8 didn't also have the Mercedes-Benz GLA plus two extra Mercedes cars for whatever reason. Silver Arrow mains where you at?

Last edited:
Top Bottom